2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

I Love Offset!

headcase59

1 minute ago, Barfolomew said:

Ya I'd like to find out but DHL lost the box lol so gonna take a while..... offset is just a weird concept and got a feeling Im gonna love no offset.... played every sport with a racket, bat or stick thingy and so the face lined up hosel sounds very appealing

ya my 4i has 6 mm and it almost feels like square is aiming way right with an open face. too bad i can't find many reviews of this. I may go this route if MOI matching my set still has issues in the longer irons

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

On 10/3/2022 at 3:20 PM, Ca3l said:

The new PXG 0317STs may fit the bill for you. See my previous comment

edit… actually looking at the in hand photos from the thread under tour equipment, I’d say there’s only a little bit of offset. So prob not what you’re looking for after all.

Thanks for the recommendation! I just picked up a set of 0311Ts. Thicker sole with offset hasn’t worked for me. Giving the opposite combo a try. If this doesn’t work, it’ll be back to this thread for more ideas!

• Like 1

On 10/3/2022 at 8:16 AM, WristySwing said:

Look no further than New Level 1031.  It's a few years old, but based on the fact you enjoy irons from 30-40 years ago, I don't think that will bother you much.  Super soft feel, feel better than many forgings on the market, extreme offset for a player's designed club.  Decent MOI as well, I found them decently forgiving, probably in line with the 223s.  There's an address picture I took from Google.

Review: New Level Golf 1031 Forged Irons | Hooked On Golf Blog

New level 902PD and 902OS have tons of offset …. They are part of the current offering line up. The GI irons they have probably have a sick amount too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, T_Golf_23 said:

New level 902PD and 902OS have tons of offset …. They are part of the current offering line up. The GI irons they have probably have a sick amount too. 

Really?  They have 0.11" of offset, that's comparable to P790, less than Mizuno Pro 225 and 223, the same as the Cobra Forged Tec, less than Srixon ZX7, less than all Callaway Apex and the same as Rogue ST Pro.  I wouldn't call that a lot.

• Like 2

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I can’t stop thinking of Cleveland VAS irons as I read through this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

4 hours ago, WristySwing said:

Really?  They have 0.11" of offset, that's comparable to P790, less than Mizuno Pro 225 and 223, the same as the Cobra Forged Tec, less than Srixon ZX7, less than all Callaway Apex and the same as Rogue ST Pro.  I wouldn't call that a lot.

If you put them behind the ball, it appears to be a lot.

certain heads blend the offset better than others. It’s very prominent in those heads. 

I am very offset sensitive. Can’t stand it. 

the short irons in the Calloway X-Forged 21 were pretty big as well. 

On 10/3/2022 at 2:55 AM, headcase59 said:

I’ve had a whirlwind of a season when it comes to irons. Started the season with a set of Mizuno 223’s which I was fitted for. Didn’t like them, hit them ok just not great. Went to a set of T100. Again hit them ok, didn’t love them. Just recently got a set of Sub70 TAIII’s didn’t like them. 

Everything I look at just does not fit my eye. I go back to these, I believe, 1980’s Sears MacGregor MCX irons. I found these in my brother in laws garage about 10 years ago.  Shafts and grips were junk.  I needed some irons so I pulled the heads cleaned them up and reshafted with some Wishon Series 5 stiff flex shafts that I had laying around at the time. I believe they are an 1” over standard in length and pretty heavy at about D5 swing weight. If I were to take these out to play right now I’d probably play pretty well. This 7 iron is that one club that I just love for some reason. Bunch of offset and turf interaction is wonderful. I don’t know!

My question, can anyone think of anything more modern that I might try and see if I can improve on this magic!?

260F3828-F948-4674-B5FB-156AFFDD1E02.jpeg

B3772456-E9A9-47C5-BB86-E455C285FB55.jpeg

DD1FFE2E-105F-43C5-97D7-81E844D3B81A.jpeg

D2E1B972-2F3A-491C-8D5A-3F958AEB4D13.jpeg

There are some sweet Miura forged Maruman Conducors in my attic.

I like a bit of offset as well. Play the ones listed in my signature but I don’t think they are as much as you want.  
have you ever swung an eye2.  Might be the anser.

• Like 1

G430 MAX 10K 9° w/ventus velocore red 5s

G430 MAX threewood ping chrome tour2 65 S
Taylor Made SIM MAX2 5wood w/ventus velocore blue 7

Adams 23º 9031 proto w' diamana ahina 82
Eye2   3-SW

Oddessy Rossie nsl og slant neck.  

19 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

interesting to see the T100 and T100s fall into the GI space and the ping 525 does not

The final score in MPF isn't something I find interesting.  It's arithmetic, not much more than C Dimension minus actual CG (a couple small modifiers added).

Actual forgiveness is the MOI figure in the details.  The i525 scores as it does because of its high CG.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

For those who like offset, just get a set of Eye2.  They last forever, there are plenty of sets available.

And, they're conforming.  Even 2024 and beyond.

(except USGA and Pro events)

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

17 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The final score in MPF isn't something I find interesting.  It's arithmetic, not much more than C Dimension minus actual CG (a couple small modifiers added).

Actual forgiveness is the MOI figure in the details.  The i525 scores as it does because of its high CG.

Thank you.  I really despise the MPF.  People take it like it is some holy grail of forgiveness when it prioritizes heavily Vertical CG.  A classic example I pull up all the time is that the Cleveland CG1 blade, renowned for its knifeishness and basically the only person on the planet that could hit it at the time was Vijay when he had 9 wins in one season or whatever ridiculousness that was that year.  Those somehow score higher on the forgiveness factor than the HiBore irons that were launched a couple of years later, you know the full set of hybrid irons.  It makes no sense to me and when push comes to shove if you took both of those irons out into a real world scenario across a wide variety of handicaps, I don't think there is one of us on this board that could say with a straight face that the majority of players would find the CG1 more forgiving and they would on average aggregate lower scores than the Hibores.

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

14 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

Thank you.  I really despise the MPF.  People take it like it is some holy grail of forgiveness when it prioritizes heavily Vertical CG.  A classic example I pull up all the time is that the Cleveland CG1 blade, renowned for its knifeishness and basically the only person on the planet that could hit it at the time was Vijay when he had 9 wins in one season or whatever ridiculousness that was that year.  Those somehow score higher on the forgiveness factor than the HiBore irons that were launched a couple of years later, you know the full set of hybrid irons.  It makes no sense to me and when push comes to shove if you took both of those irons out into a real world scenario across a wide variety of handicaps, I don't think there is one of us on this board that could say with a straight face that the majority of players would find the CG1 more forgiving and they would on average aggregate lower scores than the Hibores.

It's worth noting Ralph Maltby and GolfWorks don't refer to MPF with the use of the word "forgiveness," but rather "playability."  It's end users who apply the forgiveness label to the MPF categories. 

Essentially, it's an embodiment of a design philosophy that's frequently misinterpreted. 

Based on the arithmetic in the formula, it's obvious that Maltby has taken the stance that a lower CG is more important than having a higher moment of inertia.  Fodder for a different thread.  😉 

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 8:36 PM, Roejye said:

Really, nobody has mentioned the VAS yet? I mean they are newer than the irons the op pictured. As far as stuff from this year I don't really have an idea because offset doesn't really matter to me.

Thought about those as well.  But, is that offset, or onset? 

• Haha 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

2 hours ago, 2Down said:

I like a bit of offset as well. Play the ones listed in my signature but I don’t think they are as much as you want.  
have you ever swung an eye2.  Might be the anser.

i see what you did there...

• Haha 2

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics 722E

5w - Sub 70 949X

4H - Ping G425

4-6i i200s

7-UW i210s

56*, 60* - Sub 70 286

Putter - Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Ball - Vice Pro Zero 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 10:00 PM, WristySwing said:

They don’t have a lot. Guys are looking at the place where the top line meets the hosel and seeing that as offset. I have had this discussion on a golf course. Guy said “It looks like offset to me.” Whatever. That is not offset, it’s just the blending of the hosel with the loft of the iron, which is why it looks more prominent in short irons. Offset is measured at the leading edge. 

Edited by dmeeksDC
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches