Pxg drivers... Yay or nay ?

Kman7218

The 0211 driver is by far the best value for what you get on the market right now in my opinion as it's just a forgiving, good looking and easy to hit driver that gives great distance for cheap. It has a quieter, more baseball bat sound to it than the metallic sound you get with most drivers. 

The Gen 5 driver is a drastic improvement to the Gen 4 in terms of feel/sound and looks.  I've been using the Gen 5 off and on and it's neck and neck with anything else I've used on the market today.  It also looks fantastic at address as it looks like a dark version of the original Taylormade SIM and I'm super happy they brought back the toe weight since my miss is left.

Edited by 03trdblack
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Kman7218 said:

I haven't purchased a new driver in almost 9 yrs. I'm looking at a few low spin models and wonder how the pxg drivers stack up to the big brands. 

I just got my gen5 driver w/ventus blue 6x several wks ago. 

This thing pounds it!! Sound is good, face feels active through smash, and it sits up very good to my eye. 

Ball flight seems to be whatever I'm looking for with a little tinkering with loft and weight configurations. The pxg gen5 was the one I liked best..you can pretty much get all your #s that your looking for in any driver on the market nowadays, so feel, sound, and look were my main concern when choosing.

22 minutes ago, 03trdblack said:

The 0211 driver is by far the best value for what you get on the market right now in my opinion as it's just a forgiving, good looking and easy to hit driver that gives great distance for cheap. It has a quieter, more baseball bat sound to it than the metallic sound you get with most drivers.  The Gen 5 driver is a drastic improvement to the Gen 4 in terms of feel/sound and looks.  I've been using the Gen 5 off and on and it's neck and neck with anything else I've used on the market today.  It also looks fantastic at address as it looks like a dark version of the original Taylormade SIM and I'm super happy they brought back the toe weight since my miss is left.

Golf equipment is so personal / individual. For me it was just the opposite. The Gen 4 performed exacty ( same shaft ) the same as the Gen 5 for me. I personally like the feel/sound and looks of the G4 over the G5 as well.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥

HYBRIDS-  PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 Xtreme Dark 0311XP 5 - GW | MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -      Bridgestone Tour B XS 

1 minute ago, dmeeksDC said:

The Gen 5 driver is outstanding, as good as any driver going and better than most. Have one with a Paderson Velocity shaft. Very long and forgiving, highly adjustable, sounds great. Delivers excellent performance. 

Which Gen 5 model should one be looking at to dial in a fade bias?

Rogue ST TD 10.5 Kbs TD 50

Ping 425 fwy 17* Alta 

Ping 425 hyb 22* Alta

Srixon ZX7 5-pw Modus 120

Vega vw-06 52 58

SC X6

Went from a Gen4 X 7.5° tensei white 65-X to a Gen5 XF 9° HZRDUS RDX black 6.5° 

The gen4 X was great when hit on the screws but I found it a bit too fade biased for my liking, and the looks a bit busy

Gen5 XF so far has been phenomenal, most consistent driver I've ever used. Love the looks, sound and feel. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SwingDevil34 said:

I just got my gen5 driver w/ventus blue 6x several wks ago. 

This thing pounds it!! Sound is good, face feels active through smash, and it sits up very good to my eye. 

Ball flight seems to be whatever I'm looking for with a little tinkering with loft and weight configurations. The pxg gen5 was the one I liked best..you can pretty much get all your #s that your looking for in any driver on the market nowadays, so feel, sound, and look were my main concern when choosing.

Same setup but in 6S and I love it. Looks and feel is great and it is extremely consistent distance wise. Mishit are consistently  better than the last few drivers and the good shots are even better. Definitely would suggest getting fit for any PXG club as I found them to be a little tougher to “self fit.” Most of the unsuccess stories are people buying OTR or stock. 

• Like 1

I’m assuming you’re asking because it’s a bit cheaper? So forgive me if not.

Watch a YouTube video series TXG did last year called Driver Bracket. Not only did the smaller guys hang, but they won. The finals ended up being between Tour Edge and Mizuno (speaking of… also great options for you to check).

Re: PXG… Hate to give away my secret, but if you’re on the fence, they sell their returns on eBay under pxg_express. I’ve bought twice from them in “good condition.” And swear I still would’ve been happy had they been marked “excellent.” So if you’re looking for a cheap way to try, I’d check that. You can pick up a gen5 driver in “very good” condition for $225 shipped right now. If you’re not looking just because they’re cheaper, they also do fittings for a v reasonable rate that would prob be worthwhile.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, SEP1006 said:

Golf equipment is so personal / individual. For me it was just the opposite. The Gen 4 performed exacty ( same shaft ) the same as the Gen 5 for me. I personally like the feel/sound and looks of the G4 over the G5 as well.

I'm looking at the 0811 gen4 x in particular .. which do you play ? 

ive been enjoying PXG for the last year and a half

i highly recommend the experience of going there and get fitted

tried the new gen 5 driver and didnt get much difference so i stayed on Gen 4

dont like their custom grips though, i changed them immediately to golfpride tour wraps

initially i switched from a taylormade sim2, i was surprised to find out the standar pxg was an inch shorter than the taylormade so i ordered my pxg an inch longer to match what i was used to play

PXG Driver Gen 4 0811 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  5 to 9

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron - Phantom X 5.5 - Custom 33'

Titleist ProV1

I have owned the Gen1, Proto, Gen4, and Gen5. Currently gaming the Gen5 at 9* with a Tensei Pro Orange 60TX at 45".  The weights in the correct position on the Gen5 made a pretty substantial difference in my fitting. Really tightened up my dispersion and gave me almost 3mph of ball speed. 

I have two complete bags and the only difference is the driver and 3 wood.  My other driver is a Rogue St TD LS that was fitted by my club pro.  The sounds and feels are different, but the performance is similar on the launch monitor and what I see with my eyes outdoors. Although, I would be more comfortable if I had to hit a fairway with the Gen5.  A really wonderful driver for me.

Went from M5 Tour 9* with Project X Evenflow White 6.5 to a Gen 4 0311XT 9* with Diamana Limited+ 60X this year and have been happy with it. It's as long as the M5 , feels and sounds very good. Recently checked on monitor and found the shots to be surprisingly spinny. 2500-3000RPM. 

Taking advantage the current price drop and got a Gen 4 XT 7.5 with Tensi White AV 6X to try.  I mean it's only $190. 

• Like 2

PXG 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0211ST 4-G Elevate Tour X VSS

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Chrome 58*

Callaway X Forged 64*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

50 minutes ago, mister2cool said:

Went from M5 Tour 9* with Project X Evenflow White 6.5 to a Gen 4 0311XT 9* with Diamana Limited+ 60X this year and have been happy with it. It's as long as the M5 , feels and sounds very good. Recently checked on monitor and found the shots to be surprisingly spinny. 2500-3000RPM. 

Taking advantage the current price drop and got a Gen 4 XT 7.5 with Tensi White AV 6X to try.  I mean it's only $190. 

I know you can't beat the price right now .. I think I might go with the 0811 x at 7.5 . I have read the x is less spin than the xt 

6 hours ago, Kman7218 said:

I'm looking at the 0811 gen4 x in particular .. which do you play ? 

See Signature below - 0811X

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥

HYBRIDS-  PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 Xtreme Dark 0311XP 5 - GW | MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -      Bridgestone Tour B XS 

5 hours ago, Kman7218 said:

I know you can't beat the price right now .. I think I might go with the 0811 x at 7.5 . I have read the x is less spin than the xt 

OH SOB.. I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can change my order to a X

Edit.. just called and they change it to X... Wonder if I have to worry not enough spin having that in 7.5 paired with Tensi White AV RAW 60x 🤣

Edited by mister2cool

PXG 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0211ST 4-G Elevate Tour X VSS

Callaway Mack Daddy PM Chrome 58*

Callaway X Forged 64*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

2 hours ago, mister2cool said:

OH SOB.. I guess I'll call them tomorrow and see if they can change my order to a X

Edit.. just called and they change it to X... Wonder if I have to worry not enough spin having that in 7.5 paired with Tensi White AV RAW 60x 🤣

Tee that puppy up a little higher! That driver is going to be a hammer. These heads do launch well. I was in a 10.5 in the Rogue ST Max LS and in the 0311X I get a nice flight and better distance at 9 degrees. Guys at PXG said they’ve seen that consistently. And remember if it does not work you have two months to sort it out if you need a different head. 

I say YAY…I’ve played literally every new driver the last 7-8 years (with exception of Titleist) and finally with the Gen4 and especially now the Gen5, PXG has caught up with the other manufacturers as far as driver. It all comes down to getting the right head, weight combo and shaft to make it work for you.

For me this year I started with a Gen4, then moved to a Cobra Ltdx LS, and now the Gen5…for me it’s right there with the Cobra and I got it a lot cheaper too. 

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra Radspeed Season Opener (9) - Ventus Blue Velo (6s)
Fwy:  Cobra F6 Baffler (16) - Hzrdus Red 75 (6.0)

D.I.: Taylormade T.P. UDI 2 (18) - Fujikura Pro 115x

Hybrid:  Cobra F7 3-4 (20.5) - Aldila Tour Blue 85s
Irons:  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark (6 - G) - True Temper Elevate Tour V2 (stiff)
Wedge:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Raw (54/12) - Nippon Modus 125w
Wedge:  Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10) - KBS Hi Rev 2.0

Putters:  KREW Klassic Blade...Mannkrafted MA/55...Odyssey MXM Versa #9Ht (Custom)...Machine M10 
Bag:  Bennington LQO-9 Stand Bag

One vote for YAY. I absolutely love my 0311X G5. Think I paid like $800 for my old 0811XF Gen2 back in 2018 and we got along well till I decided to finally upgrade this year.

Back then it was a hugh investment for me but it worked out. Looking at what other OEMs price tags are today (expecially w/ shaft upgrades) it seems like PXG is actually going the other way in terms of price point. I bought my Gen5 at $299 and you can't really beat that especially when it performs this good for me. With current promo of $189 I'm strongly considering getting a Gen4 as backup as well.