Apex Pro 21 face cave

Haber

I searched and found a bunch of topics on the 19’s with face caving issues but couldn’t find anything on the 21’s. I ordered them a month ago from Callaway preowned in like new condition and played 4-5 rounds with them. On the range today and flush a few 4 irons and then one comes off dead and sounds weird. Look down and see the face caved in. 

kind of disappointed in callaways response. Sorry no left handed 4 irons in stock so we can wait for one or refund the cost from the set…. Still need a 4 iron so I ask if there’s anything new in stock. Well for a new replacement I have to send in the old one for inspection and then wait 3-4 weeks for it to get processed!

I just sold my set of JPX tours and have played fully forged irons previously. Is this something of the norm with these cup face irons?

E51A3B07-FFD8-4F21-BC65-6AB5B663EB8C.jpeg

Get an apex UT 21 or 24 instead.  

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

7 minutes ago, autronicdsm said:

Things fail at the place of impact, that's where the force is the highest. You can see on 8th groove where the cracks go in 3 different directions.

Don’t think it is even possible to hit it that high on the face off of a mat. Not disagreeing as I would assume the same thing but the ball pushed in the lower left side of the crack and the rest of the face is level if that makes any sense 

Callaway and CPO are fantastic with returns and replacements and issues but it all depends on inventory, as you can see. They can't just ship you a brand new one not from the CPO inventory. Their response sounds great IMO and offering a partial refund is something other OEMs probably wouldnt do.

And yes with cup face designs from all OEMS with 1mm face thickness, this happens with all kinds of irons.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Rogue ST Max TC 9°@9.2 + HD 6 / 🦄 MAVRIK Max TC 14°@15 + TP 7 / Rogue ST MaxTC 18°@19 + VR 8 / P790 21° + LIN-Q / P770 + DG105 / MD5 Forged / Las Vegas H3

10 minutes ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Callaway and CPO are fantastic with returns and replacements and issues but it all depends on inventory, as you can see. They can't just ship you a brand new one not from the CPO inventory. Their response sounds great IMO and offering a partial refund is something other OEMs probably wouldnt do.

And yes with cup face designs from all OEMS with 1mm face thickness, this happens with all kinds of irons.

Now that I’ve cooled off after the shock of it I agree they’re doing a pretty good job of rectifying it. Just a bummer to be out a club for a 3-4 weeks. 

I would think the caving would be reserved for high speed guys I’m usually in the 108-110 range max.

22 hours ago, Haber said:

Now that I’ve cooled off after the shock of it I agree they’re doing a pretty good job of rectifying it. Just a bummer to be out a club for a 3-4 weeks. 

I would think the caving would be reserved for high speed guys I’m usually in the 108-110 range max.

110 for driver or 4 iron?

I guess hollow body or cup faces could be more prone to cave in with a really high speed (and if there was some existing defect in the face) but I would expect them to still hold up to strongest guys on tour, no? I mean why design something that will break when a pro uses it?

Like others have said, send it back for a partial refund and get a UT or have ebay alerts for 4 irons 😉

23 hours ago, Haber said:

That's been the standard turnaround on RTV to vendors for as long as I've been around in the business (20 years).  It takes time to ship back, inspect, issue the claim, and mail back.

I am on the quest for the clubs I hit the best, feel and looks be darned.

These below have my attention at the moment.

SIM - Rogue Silver 130

Speedzone Tour Big - Arcane

Rogue Sub Zero - Thump 

Ping i525 5-UW - Accra iSeries Tour V2 100i

SM8 50/F, 54/D, 58/M - i123

Bettinardi Hive Custom

On 10/4/2022 at 9:22 AM, autronicdsm said:

Things fail at the place of impact, that's where the force is the highest. You can see on 8th groove where the cracks go in 3 different directions.

No. Things fail at the point where the forces exceed the materials strength. This may or may not correspond to the impact location especially in a design like this where the entire face is designed to flex and is also of variable (A.I. tech) thickness. Think of a trampoline that fails at the edge closer to where it's supported instead of the middle where the impact is.

• Like 2

Driver - Titleist TSi2 9* (B1) Autoflex SF505                                                       Frankenstein Irons:

3W - Titleist TSi2 15* (C4) Tensei Blue(S)                                                         4i - PING i210

5W - Titleist TSi2 18* (B4) Tensei(S)                                                                  5i - Cobra King Tour (MIM)

Titleist TS2 23*H (C1) Tensei Blue(S)                                                                 6i - Titleist T100

Irons - 5-PW Callaway Apex Pro '21 NS Pro 950 Neo(S)                                   7i - Mizuno MP20 MMC

GW - Callaway MD5 Jaws 50* NS Pro 950 Neo(S)                                            8i - Callaway X-Forged

SW - Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 54* bent to 55* X Grind                                    9i - TaylorMade P7MC 

LW - Taylormade Hi-Toe Raw 60*/7*                                                                  PW - Srixon ZX-7

Putter - SeeMore Pure Center Blade w/ LAGP SOHO                                        GW - Wilson Staff CB

Vice Pro