Must plays in Ayrshire?

Title says it all.  So many choices in a relatively small area.  Just wanted to hear thoughts on what is a must and what is a miss.  Thanks.  

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

Troon for sure, I haven’t been back to Turnberry since the re-design but I would recommend that as well. Prestwick is quirky but I’d play it just for the history. Western Gailes would also be up there. There are a couple other good ones like Glasgow Gailes, Kilmarnock, and Dundonald but not sure how many rounds your looking to get it.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Definitely going to do the Gailes Links Experience (Western, Glasgow and Dundonald).  Prestwick is a definite for me.  Turnberry and Troon are pretty pricey so it would be one or the other. Looking at Irvine and West Kilbride too.  

2024 Bag

2 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Definitely going to do the Gailes Links Experience (Western, Glasgow and Dundonald).  Prestwick is a definite for me.  Turnberry and Troon are pretty pricey so it would be one or the other. Looking at Irvine and West Kilbride too.  

Kilmarnock have redesigned a few holes and it’s been well received from what I’ve heard.

Edited by hammergolf

18 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Look at South Beach Hotel's website in Troon. https://www.southbeach.co.uk/en/golf-packages/ 

Some good deals and a very central place to everything except Turnberry which was about 30 minutes south.

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

Look at South Beach Hotel's website in Troon. https://www.southbeach.co.uk/en/golf-packages/ 

Some good deals and a very central place to everything except Turnberry which was about 30 minutes south.

That is great!  The five night option hits everything I've been looking at.  We can add a couple of other courses for a 36 day or two.  Since the courses are so close together, 36 should be pretty easy if the weather is good.  

2024 Bag

2 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I’d ask them if the package includes breakfast. It is very good at the hotel. Hotel is very old but the location can’t be beat! 2 blocks from Troon and everything else is less than a 10 minute drive I’d say. 

The package I saw includes breakfast and you can add dinner with an additional fee.  So far I'm looking at: 

Saturday - Arrive EDI, Head to Stirling to sightsee and spend the first evening

Sunday - Play Stirling GC Late AM, Drive to Troon PM

Monday - Kickoff Ayrshire Week at Prestwick GC

Tuesday - Irvine GC AM, Gailes Links PM

Wednesday - Western Gailes

Thursday - Royal Troon (Old) AM, Royal Troon Portland, Prestwick St. Nicholas or Kilmarnock Barassie PM

Friday - Dundonald Links AM & Drive to Edinburgh PM

Saturday - Depart EDI

• Like 1

2024 Bag

55 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

The package I saw includes breakfast and you can add dinner with an additional fee.  So far I'm looking at: 

Saturday - Arrive EDI, Head to Stirling to sightsee and spend the first evening

Sunday - Play Stirling GC Late AM, Drive to Troon PM

Monday - Kickoff Ayrshire Week at Prestwick GC

Tuesday - Irvine GC AM, Gailes Links PM

Wednesday - Western Gailes

Thursday - Royal Troon (Old) AM, Royal Troon Portland, Prestwick St. Nicholas or Kilmarnock Barassie PM

Friday - Dundonald Links AM & Drive to Edinburgh PM

Saturday - Depart EDI

Don't add the dinner. Too many great local places to try and it is always there if you want it. One of our favorites was Wildings close to Turnberry.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Don't add the dinner. Too many great local places to try and it is always there if you want it. One of our favorites was Wildings close to Turnberry.

Thanks for the info.  Anything else worth knowing?  

2024 Bag

40 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Thanks for the info.  Anything else worth knowing?  

I took a caddie every round whether I needed or not. Call the courses about a month prior if you want them. You pay them direct and usually we just gave them 100 pounds and they seemed very happy with that. A few of those courses you can do without for sure, but it was fun for the jokes if nothing else. If there any food places that are musts, call a week early for reservations. We didn't know this and missed a few we would have liked to try. It was a much easier walk overall than I expected but like others have said here, take 2 pairs of shoes and switch out socks between 36 hole days. I over prepared as far as medicine and blisters and needed nothing more than some advil.

Just got back from the Ayrshire area a couple weeks ago. 

Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick are all must plays.  100% must take a caddy at Prestwick. 

Dundonald was OK. 

Part of our group did Western Gailes and raved about it. 

Hit the Red Lion Pub after your round at Prestwick,  we walked there with our bags from the course.  

It was our favorite pub we visited on the whole trip.  12 of us walked in there unannounced on a Tuesday night and they were very gracious and accommodating. 

Looks like South Beach will be the home base for the week.  Any thoughts on Troon or Turnberry?  To stay on budget it would be one or the other.  

2024 Bag

Troon is better for the budget and I think a sterner test for the game.  Love the course.  Glasgow Gailes is a great afternoon course for a 2nd round. Dundonald will feel like “Americanized links golf” but is a good course for the price.  Prestwick is one of those courses “you gotta play” for the history but I was indifferent when I finished, especially for the price. 

you are staying in a great area and have some amazing options. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 11:08 AM, ajgoodal.704 said:

Looks like South Beach will be the home base for the week.  Any thoughts on Troon or Turnberry?  To stay on budget it would be one or the other.  

Turnberry Ailsa is more fun and more scenic than Royal Troon. Royal Troon is appreciated by very good players who want a difficult challenge. My favorites in Ayr are Prestwick and Western Gailes. Those are "must plays".

• Like 1

On 10/8/2022 at 2:08 AM, ajgoodal.704 said:

We did an Ayrshire trip pre Covid, our group would be 100% Turnberry over Troon. Prestwick is a must play.

We stayed at the Marine Hotel in Troon which was OK, as we were there for over a week I would have much preferred an AirBnB

That Albatross package at the South Beach is decent value.

I'd say Royal Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry Ailsa and Western are the must-plays.

I might have a minority view but I reckon Troon gets unfair criticism, usually for its first 6 holes being a bit flat/easy on a calm day.  However, to me it's pretty much the perfect classic links.  As you may already know, it has a relatively gentle opening stretch with chances to score (although these holes are heavily/deeply bunkered). Then, the middle 6 holes (except maybe the 9th, which gives you a breather) are extremely memorable and dangerous and include one of the very best par-3s and one of the hardest par-4s anywhere in the world.  When you turn for home at the 13th tee the wind is usually into your face, so it's a case of holding on to whatever score you have. It's a joy to play throughout and the Open history and setting right on the dunes for the first few holes make it the best in Ayrshire IMO.  Ailsa has more drama with the new holes on the rocks, but the redesign kinda erases some of the Open history in that no Open has been played on the current layout, which is very, very different from the old version. I'm not sure it's as consistently world class as some people claim, either - but, it's still an amazing experience.  Oddly, I would also say the Robert the Bruce course at Turnberry is harder (it's certainly tighter, with more gorse in play). It's a great experience too and also has some fantastic holes out on the sea.

I was way less impressed with Dundonald which for me felt very man-made and tricked up. I wouldn't rush back given all the other options nearby.  Glasgow Gailes is obviously very good and has been a regular Open qualifying venue but it's a tough slog - quite a dour course, and feels quite inland as it's on the land side of the railway rather than the sea side.  West Kilbride on the other hand is a bit less challenging and is also in a wonderful location with views over to Arran.

A random suggestion but if you're looking for something a bit different and more gentle, then Largs GC further north is one of the best parkland courses in Scotland, with superb (and fast) greens.  By no means a "must play" but arguably considerably better value for money than, say, Dundonald.

• PING G400 Max 9* Tensei Orange 60 S
  • PING Anser 17 / 20* hybrids Graphite Design 85S
  • Miura PP-9003 Straight Neck 4-PW Nippon NS Pro 750 GH wrap tech
  • Miura 52, 56 K forged wedges / PING Eye 2 LW beryllium copper
  • Nordberg Halvdan custom / PING Cushin Scottsdale zip / PING Jim Wells Zing 5KS SN / PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch 380g, etc.

Like others, Dundonald felt very American to me and based on the designer, I should have expected that. Service was awesome there, but I don't think it is one I would repeat. Turnberry, Prestwick and Western Gailes are ones that I will repeat every time I go. Gailes Links is a great course for a 36 hole day. Flat walk but a fun layout and next door to Western Gailes. 

Thanks for all the feedback, it has been very helpful.  I think I've narrowed it down to where it'll work really well for us.  Irvine (jetlag round), Dundonald, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Gailes, Turnberry (Ailsa), Lanark (on way back to Edinburgh) and Stirling (tied to sightseeing).  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

23 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Thanks for all the feedback, it has been very helpful.  I think I've narrowed it down to where it'll work really well for us.  Irvine (jetlag round), Dundonald, Prestwick, Western Gailes, Gailes, Turnberry (Ailsa), Lanark (on way back to Edinburgh) and Stirling (tied to sightseeing).  

Sounds like a great trip. We went out of our way the first day after arrival and played Carnoustie then headed down to Troon. Went and walked the Old Course the week prior to the Open then went to a practice round at the open. I know it has the history, but without the bleachers, it would have looked like a walk out to the ocean and back with some bunkers in the way. 

• Like 1

Anyone ever stayed at the Old Loan's Inn?  Looks pretty nice and they have some nice packages as well.  I'm leaning heavily towards spending most of the week in Ayrshire, but finishing at Gleneagles.  I've wanted to play the King's course for a long time now.  Seems like a good opportunity.  

2024 Bag

4 hours ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

Anyone ever stayed at the Old Loan's Inn?  Looks pretty nice and they have some nice packages as well.  I'm leaning heavily towards spending most of the week in Ayrshire, but finishing at Gleneagles.  

Haven't stayed at Old Loans, but have stayed at Sand Hill House. It's a fantastic B&B right on Royal Troon. Beautiful place, excellent food and lovely hosts 

• Like 1

Doing the Ayrshire trip in June with a few guys from my club.  Staying at Dundonald and playing there, Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry, and Western Gailes.  Should have time to fit another round or two in as well.  Direct flights both ways between Boston and Edinburgh.  Really looking forward to it.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 6S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, dwboston said:

Doing the Ayrshire trip in June with a few guys from my club.  Staying at Dundonald and playing there, Troon, Prestwick, Turnberry, and Western Gailes.  Should have time to fit another round or two in as well.  Direct flights both ways between Boston and Edinburgh.  Really looking forward to it.

Make sure you guys make reservations if planning to get dinners at the Dundonald clubhouse.  We had a group of 20guys on our trip (we were all staying on property),  and on 2 different occasions several of our group were turned away at the door stating the kitchen couldnt accommodate us. 

Also cant recommend the Red Lion Pub down the street from Prestwick enough  (it's where all our caddies recommended we go).   We all walked there with our clubs after our round,  and they could not have been nicer or more accommodating.  Great food, great drinks, great service. 

Edited by bobbo621
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We loved Wildings next to Turnberrry. If I had a choice of Troon or Turnberry, I'd choose Turnberry 9 out of 10 times. Troon has 6 good holes and 12 featureless ones. If you are just checking courses off the Open list, guess you have to hit Troon, but I'd say it is well below Prestwick, Turnberry, Western Gailes and maybe even Dundonald. I will say we played Dundonald and it played more US than most so we won't hit it going back. The only ones for sure we will do on the West Coast is Prestwick and Western Gailes. 

On 10/26/2022 at 5:25 PM, dwboston said:

Enjoy! That’s a great itinerary.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hope to get to Prestwick in September to visit my friend.  He's a member at that golf club so will play there. However, my knee and hip joints are really in poor shape so walking up/down long tracks put a ton of stress on my legs.

What are the best choices, flattest and most compact for walking 18 holes in Ayrshire?  And are there any courses which offer a buggy/cart to ride?

2 hours ago, jobin said:

Hope to get to Prestwick in September to visit my friend.  He's a member at that golf club so will play there. However, my knee and hip joints are really in poor shape so walking up/down long tracks put a ton of stress on my legs.

What are the best choices, flattest and most compact for walking 18 holes in Ayrshire?  And are there any courses which offer a buggy/cart to ride?

Dundonald has received rave reviews. I have not played it yet as on my last trip to Ayrshire it wasn’t open yet. You can use carts there as well.

https://dundonaldlinks.com/about/

You can use a cart at Prestwick St. Nicholas. Very underrated course and tons of fun to play. Reasonable price as well. Make sure to reserve the cart well ahead of time.

https://www.prestwickstnicholas.com/

Kilmarnock is flat and an easy walk. They’ve redesigned it since last time I played it, but it good. 

https://www.kbgc.co.uk/the-golf-club

Edited by hammergolf