Low and Mid compression, urethane golf balls. Is there a list?

icehorse

Q star tour is a great one. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

ATTI compression numbers from MyGolf$py 2021 ball test (all models under 80 compression):

Bridgestone Tour B RX - 75

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - 71

Callaway Chrome Soft - 75

Oncore Elixir - 78

Srixon QStar Tour - 72

Taylormade Tour Response - 71

Titleist Tour Speed - 78

Vice Pro Soft - 71

Wilson Duo Professional - 63

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

ATTI compression numbers from MyGolf$py 2021 ball test (all models under 80 compression):

Bridgestone Tour B RX - 75

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - 71

Callaway Chrome Soft - 75

Oncore Elixir - 78

Srixon QStar Tour - 72

Titleist Tour Speed - 78

Vice Pro Soft - 71

Wilson Duo Professional - 63

Here is the chart:  https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/golfspy.t/viz/MyGolfSpy2021GolfBallTest-CompressionBallSpeed/CompressionDashboard

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cardigan said:

Really interesting chart, thanks. How do you think "compression" factors into these numbers? Because if compression is factored in, then it looks like - regardless of swing speed - we all ought to be playing the highest compression balls, and that doesn't sound right?

12 minutes ago, icehorse said:

Really interesting chart, thanks. How do you think "compression" factors into these numbers? Because if compression is factored in, then it looks like - regardless of swing speed - we all ought to be playing the highest compression balls, and that doesn't sound right?

I think that is if out and out ball speed is the end goal. But even then conventional wisdom says you need a swing speed high enough to get the most out of a high compression golf ball. For me, I have started playing a softer golf ball because I prefer it around the greens and off the putter. If I am giving up a few yards or rpm of spin, I am okay with that (currently) because I think short game feel is more important for my game. Also, I know almost nothing about how golf balls will work for all the different swing speeds and delivery types and varying conditions other players play on. For me, I just try to test different balls every season but ultimately I have found that I can shoot similar scores with Pro V1s and Snell MTB Blacks and Taylormade TP5s and even Taylormade Tour Responses and Titleist AVXs. Not a fan of Pro V1x or MTB-X but that is probably because I only swing my driver about 105 mph. 

• Like 2

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

For most of us, I suspect it's less concerning to hit a too soft ball rather than a too hard ball. And I agree about the importance of short game feel, which is why I'm looking for soft urethane balls 🙂

I'm fast approaching being a "senior" golfer, and I'd guess there are millions of us. Given that, it seems strange that so few soft balls are urethane.

I’m doing some similar testing. 
Currently Trying out: 

Callaway Chrome Soft - 75

Srixon QStar Tour - 72

Titleist Tour Speed - 78

Currently Enjoying Tour Response the most. 

• Like 1

Driver 8* Mavrik Max Evenflow Riptide 50 Stiff

4 Iron 19.5* F9 One Length KBS Tour 80 Stiff

7 wood 21* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage Silver 80 x-stiff

22* & 25* SIM DHY Tour AD-DI 85 Stiff
6-9: TEE C721 Elevate 95 Stiff

43/8*, 48/9* CBX Zipcore DG Spinner 115

54/12*, 58/8* ES21 KBS Hi-rev 2.0 115

2 Ball Blade

20 hours ago, icehorse said:

For most of us, I suspect it's less concerning to hit a too soft ball rather than a too hard ball. And I agree about the importance of short game feel, which is why I'm looking for soft urethane balls 🙂

I'm fast approaching being a "senior" golfer, and I'd guess there are millions of us. Given that, it seems strange that so few soft balls are urethane.

For us old geezers, especially when living on a fixed income, cost becomes a big factor and my game really doesn't require a urethane ball. I use the Wilson Staff 50 Elite and ZIP. They are inexpensive, soft, and they perform better than most 2 pc. balls.
 EDIT: Wilson has a big gap in their ball lineup between the lower compression balls, which they have covered very nicely, and their higher compression Triad. It would be nice, especially for us die hard Wilson Staff fans, if they would fill that gap with a 70ish compression ball, maybe take the 50 elites and bump it up to around 70 or do the same with the Zip. If they chose to use a urethane cover on it and keep the price reasonable I'd be willing to spend a little more.

Edited by rd1959

On 10/12/2022 at 1:32 PM, rd1959 said:

For us old geezers, especially when living on a fixed income, cost becomes a big factor and my game really doesn't require a urethane ball. I use the Wilson Staff 50 Elite and ZIP. They are inexpensive, soft, and they perform better than most 2 pc. balls.
 EDIT: Wilson has a big gap in their ball lineup between the lower compression balls, which they have covered very nicely, and their higher compression Triad. It would be nice, especially for us die hard Wilson Staff fans, if they would fill that gap with a 70ish compression ball, maybe take the 50 elites and bump it up to around 70 or do the same with the Zip. If they chose to use a urethane cover on it and keep the price reasonable I'd be willing to spend a little more.

Tour Velocity Feel?

40 minutes ago, cardigan said:

I do not.

The compression spec is in line with what I'm looking for but I'd like to find out how they perform. The 50 Elite and the Zip both have satisfactory performance in all facets and they're both a little less expensive. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has tried them and, if they perform like the 50s and Zips I'd be willing to check them out.

On 10/11/2022 at 11:02 AM, icehorse said:

You're right, it doesn't. I find the section  where you can compare different balls at different swing speeds is more helpful. 

3 hours ago, rd1959 said:

The compression spec is in line with what I'm looking for but I'd like to find out how they perform. The 50 Elite and the Zip both have satisfactory performance in all facets and they're both a little less expensive. I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has tried them and, if they perform like the 50s and Zips I'd be willing to check them out.

Tour Velocity Feel is a 15 pack so may be a bit cheaper than the 50 Elite.  They've been around for years but I've never seen much discussion about them.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2022 at 2:09 PM, icehorse said:

The best urethane low compression balls are Bridgestone RXS and Taylormade tour response. “Best” meaning great short game spin and distance off all clubs. IMHO the RXS is superior because it has much better short control than Tour Response. Tour Response is longer off the tee by BBC a smidge but not enough to make up for the lack of short game spin compared to the RXS. As always YMMV

• Like 1

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm going to try the RXSs. I just found some yellow, used/mint Project (a)s. I know they're a slightly older model, but I think I like them just a little bit more than the Tour Responses.

Lots of great feedback on this thread, thanks!

Now I'm wondering whether there is a website that tracks all the new balls that come out each year?

13 minutes ago, icehorse said:

I'm going to try the RXSs. I just found some yellow, used/mint Project (a)s. I know they're a slightly older model, but I think I like them just a little bit more than the Tour Responses.

Lots of great feedback on this thread, thanks!

Now I'm wondering whether there is a website that tracks all the new balls that come out each year?

The new 2022 tour response is supposed to be much improved. Look at my golf spy ball lab test. It’s their testing that lead me to try Maxfli tour and now it’s my gamer, except for winter when I go back to RXS. 

Current Gamers
TBD 10.5*, Tour AD IZ 5R
ROGUE MAX 3HL, Heavenwood

PING G410  22*, 26* Hybrids 

PXG Gen5 0311P 7-GW, steelfiber 70
CALLAWAY  MD5 - 56*, 60*
Tour Issue Evnroll ER8 Black, 355 g
2021 Maxfli Tour
2021 PROV1

In my experience testing out golf balls, anything lower than 80 compression feels dead off of the putter to me.

I had real trouble hitting the ball hard enough to get it to the hole

I had no trouble with distance or spin.

It was purely feel off of the putter

For example, the new TaylorMade Tour Response with the stripe was a wonderful ball

Great distance, flew high and stop on a dime

Could not putt with it to save my life

I am now onto the Wilson Triad

Good luck in your search

Driver -Cobra RadSpeed 9*

5 Wood - PING G425 16*

Hybrid  PING G410 22*

Irons - PING G400 5-UW

Wedges - Cleveland Zipcore CBX 54* ; Cleveland CBX Zipcore Full Face 58*

Putter - PXG Battle Ready Closer-34"

Ball- Wilson Triad 

On 11/8/2022 at 1:56 PM, scott406 said:

In my experience testing out golf balls, anything lower than 80 compression feels dead off of the putter to me.

I had real trouble hitting the ball hard enough to get it to the hole

I had no trouble with distance or spin.

It was purely feel off of the putter

For example, the new TaylorMade Tour Response with the stripe was a wonderful ball

Great distance, flew high and stop on a dime

Could not putt with it to save my life

I am now onto the Wilson Triad

Good luck in your search

It's all about what you're accustomed to.  I've spent a significant portion of my golf playing wound balls, both "true" wound and the Maxfli solid core wound layer balls like the Revolution, A10, & M3.  Because of that, the even the softer level Tour balls like ZStar or TP5 sometimes feel hard to me.

Which is what led me to playing the Duo Professional for so long, and now looking at the QStar Tour as a replacement.

<shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

On 11/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, NRJyzr said:

It's all about what you're accustomed to.  I've spent a significant portion of my golf playing wound balls, both "true" wound and the Maxfli solid core wound layer balls like the Revolution, A10, & M3.  Because of that, the even the softer level Tour balls like ZStar or TP5 sometimes feel hard to me.

Which is what led me to playing the Duo Professional for so long, and now looking at the QStar Tour as a replacement.

<shrug>

The QST in my opinion is the best mid compression ball out there and it's only 34.99

Edited by Longdriver295

It's definitely horses for courses when it comes to balls. I played the QST's two years ago and lost 15-20 yards off my drives with it. Irons were shorter too. It did have good feel for me though. Switched to Oncore Verio. I gained distance, but side spin was a killer for me on slight mishits. Tried the Oncore Elixr 2022... much better than the Verio imo. Good distance with the driver and irons, decent feel off everything and greatly reduced spin. Played them all year this past year and was happy enough with them to be honest. Still there is always the search for a bit more distance ergo I will be trying the 2022 Tour Response next year based on the MGS test results.

Edited by Dpavs