Any other Garmin CT10 club tracker users here?

I've always used a Garmin watch on the course. This season has been my first using CT10 club tracking devices. Curious whether there are any other users here. 

Every Garmin watch detects shots as you play. Afterward you can edit the data in the Garmin Golf app, such as which club you used on which shots. If you install CT10 sensors on some or all of their clubs the watch will automatically add the club data to the app. That's really all they do.  

The app lets you view hole-by-hole shots from your most recent round as well as shots on the same hole from prior rounds. If you enable Historical Shots on any hole you see a scatterplot that looks like the ones they use on golf telecasts. Pretty cool. 

The app also organizes your stats into categories like Driving, Approaches, Chipping and Putting. It's great to be able to isolate my four wood and see stats like average distance and percentage of fairways hit. 

I haven't had many issues with the sensors missing shots. I have had some issues with them picking up EXTRA shots, but I've learned how to eliminate some of those over time. 

Garmin recommends you only take practice swings close to where you plan to play your shot. That way when the watch captures the real shot it knows to eliminate the practice swings you took in the same location. OTOH if you take a practice swing while standing behind the ball or before you get to the ball it will often count that as a shot that you have to delete later in the app. 

The main place I pick up extra strokes is around the greens. The putter sensor is extra sensitive by design to pick up the smaller stroke of a putt. If you use your putter to tamp down a ball mark it'll often pick that up as a putt. The same goes for dropping your putter on the ground to play a wedge shot or something. I rarely have a round where I don't have to delete a few extra shots caused by a putter or wedge when I'm near the green. I'm trying to adjust my habits to keep from triggering these false shots but it's easy enough to delete them later. 

If you use these sensors on some or all of your clubs I'd be interested to hear your review and tips for use. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I use one on my putter only, in theory for making approach shot locations more accurate. In practice I find that it works some of the time, but some of my approach shots still end up in the middle of the green in the app despite me hitting it somewhere else. I've never expanded past the putter as I have an S62 watch and I don't mind manually marking clubs for shots, especially since I use different "clubs" to match partial or really bad shots that I don't want to record as a my regular club. The S62 already suggests the proper club most of the time anyway.

I also have the same problem with extra shots around the green, but I'm not sure if there's an easy solution for that. Garmin's guidance is to carry clubs with the shaft pointing down as much as possible to avoid activation, which I do try and do with my putter. I don't think it always works, but it does seem to help a little bit. Like you, I am just used to deleting the extra shots now.

I will say I wish that the actual sensors were a little smaller and a little more accurate for how it works on my putter, hopefully they're up for a redesign soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mkuether said:

I use one on my putter only, in theory for making approach shot locations more accurate. In practice I find that it works some of the time, but some of my approach shots still end up in the middle of the green in the app despite me hitting it somewhere else. I've never expanded past the putter as I have an S62 watch and I don't mind manually marking clubs for shots, especially since I use different "clubs" to match partial or really bad shots that I don't want to record as a my regular club. The S62 already suggests the proper club most of the time anyway.

I also have the same problem with extra shots around the green, but I'm not sure if there's an easy solution for that. Garmin's guidance is to carry clubs with the shaft pointing down as much as possible to avoid activation, which I do try and do with my putter. I don't think it always works, but it does seem to help a little bit. Like you, I am just used to deleting the extra shots now.

I will say I wish that the actual sensors were a little smaller and a little more accurate for how it works on my putter, hopefully they're up for a redesign soon.

It definitely seems like the sensors could be much smaller as ShotScope has proven with theirs. I get the idea that Garmin designed them to be noticeable as a marketing strategy. The chip and battery are all in the black cap and the white mount is 100% plastic. 

I walked and carried today and had a lot less extra shots to delete. I think this is due to having only one club out of the bag at a time around the greens. If I'm riding I'll often walk to the green with a wedge and a putter. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Ive been using them in all clubs for a couple, maybe 3 years, now.  I have them paired with an S60 which doesnt have virtual caddy so i think you see much more benefit from them than on the S62 which has more features being the newer model.

I enjoy the data they give, but in reality Garmin are really lagging behind others with what you can see in the app with regard to stats.  There is so much unlocked potential that a dedicated team could create something much more useable.  The performance stats section for example, its not all that clear.  Just some bar graphs and no explanation.  

I dont have too much problem with additional shots, but i always review my round, usually same day and delete the odd extra one i pick up.

I’ve used these sensors for about 1.5 year with MARQ Golfer watch. I walk and carry my clubs so don’t generally have to ‘delete’ shots at the end of round but my issue has been battery life. Have gone through SO MANY that it’s annoying. Battery goes out then often times, i have to manually select the club selection after hitting it. I average 1-2 rounds per week so not sure if my usage is causing this but it needs to be better. Data you get after the round is cool but not something i pay close attention to. Honestly not sure i would suggest CT10 sensors to anyone that’s in the market. I only bought it b/c i knew it works with my watch and wanted to try virtual caddy. Looking back, i don’t think it was worth $10-$15/sensor i paid for.

On 10/13/2022 at 2:55 AM, UKGolfer86 said:

Ive been using them in all clubs for a couple, maybe 3 years, now.  I have them paired with an S60 which doesnt have virtual caddy so i think you see much more benefit from them than on the S62 which has more features being the newer model.

I enjoy the data they give, but in reality Garmin are really lagging behind others with what you can see in the app with regard to stats.  There is so much unlocked potential that a dedicated team could create something much more useable.  The performance stats section for example, its not all that clear.  Just some bar graphs and no explanation.  

I dont have too much problem with additional shots, but i always review my round, usually same day and delete the odd extra one i pick up.

Do you ever click through to the View Details section? There's a ton more there. 

A4A73655-2576-4133-BD46-1AE76E31F865.png.0ef74eecc67c23ae4c54cf13a3ba723e.png

588CF9D3-E436-4312-9558-1D7FFA14A8EE.png.2451629891ee20884a1c3ffaee76add8.png

1229F28E-D16B-4718-9EE0-597785A63AFE.png.7f413e025540fa3aff0dea09f0a739d3.png

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

I also like turning on the Historical Shots feature to see my patterns on certain holes. 

0FE9056B-D7F9-449B-87D5-D000A0D8A327.jpeg.274717223ab7c74b4842650868723d60.jpeg

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, biglefthander said:

i recently got a vivoactive 4 - really digging the auto detection of the shots, but what's the best way to tell my watch where my last full swing/non-putt landed? 

I know it sounds crazy, but I am not aware of any easy way to do this during the round on the watch. This is basically why I added the CT10 to my putter, which sometimes (but not always) works. I think this feature is a common request on the Garmin forums, but they're not so responsive about adding things.

I believe you can add it in the app after the round, but obviously that isn't going to be as precise. If anyone knows a good way to do this, I would love to hear it.

As far as I can tell the watch only determines the distance of your shots by calculating the distances between consecutive shots. You can see the counter in the top edge of the screen increase as you walk to your next shot. Once you take the next shot it “books” the distance of your prior shot. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

19 hours ago, biglefthander said:

i recently got a vivoactive 4 - really digging the auto detection of the shots, but what's the best way to tell my watch where my last full swing/non-putt landed? 

Did you use the same handle on Party of Fore?

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS