Accomplishments - How did 2022 treat your game? What are you taking away from it?

MelloYello

It has been the best year after my back injury, got new weapons on the top and bottom of the bag, never have I shot so many under par rounds, mostly through the summer, averaged 70.3, best 65, I stopped trying to hit the ball so hard, and did more of a 75-80% swing speed, hitting it straighter and at times longer, wedge game was the savior, got to save many pars with them, lots of practice to find the groove, then of course as I played better the confidence went up and started being more aggressive resulting in better scores...just my results not that this can apply to everyone, great year, hopping next year is just as good or better, have to grind it out through the winter months though...

• Like 2

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

44 minutes ago, dsmil said:

This just shows how far keeping it in play, not making big errors, and getting the ball somewhere close to the green can do for scores.  6 GIR pars, 4 up and down pars, 7 bogeys, and 1 double gets you to 9 over par, which is a great score for the vast majority of golfers.  I played 9 holes this past weekend and shot +4, while hitting zero GIR and two fairways.  But I didn't have any penalties and I got up and down a few times.

100%.  That's the inner struggle though.  I've managed to stabilize the clubface a lot in my swing but it's killed my ball striking.  I've got to find a happy medium but it's really hard when I'm still posting decent scores (For me) and have very few blow up rounds.  When I go back to old habits I hit it more solid and further but create bigger misses.  Gotta figure it out and probably need to get in for some lessons.

GOAL: This year I wanted to play in more events and work on playing well in tournaments and qualifiers, not just in practice rounds. I wanted to do well enough to earn exemptions into next year so I didn't have to play in qualifiers.

RESULT:    I qualified for US open sectionals and I showed up to the US am as an alternate, but did not get to play. Going to these USGA events and competing was just a different vibe, if that makes sense. Everyone was a proven player and there to perform. It made the local and even state events I had previously played in seem "insignificant". This is clearly where the best players went to play and I couldn't help but think, "if you're not here, you're a nobody". These are the tournaments I want to play in next year and I'm going to do everything I can to get back into those fields. As for regional events, I played well enough to gain exemptions into 3 out of the 4 Philadelphia "majors", but I felt like I left a lot out on the course this year. My putting is still significantly better than past years, but I still struggle to putt well on tournament greens.

GOAL: Stick with one putter throughout the year and get comfortable with that one putter rather than continue switching.

RESULT: LOL. Distance control issues caused me to switch, then started to miss shorts putts with the next putter, then an arm lock experiment that went well but not well enough, etc. I'm on my 6th putter this year which is still less than the previous several years.

GOAL: Win a member guest tournament

RESULT: I place less weight on this because it's also based on partner performance, but my partners did not perform this year. I played in 4 member guests, one of them I came close, one of them not so close, the 3rd was match play and we played an opponent that played very well, and the last one my partner failed to contribute on a single hole all weekend.

• Like 2

Cool thread.

A weird year for me. 

I went undefeated in our regional Ryder Cup and won my club championship by 4. I had some results I was happy with.

That being said my cap went up a half point and I did not hit the ball very well for long stretches of the season. I was able to kind of hide my deficiencies with chipping/pitching/putting but I know it wont be sustainable and this style of golf made me much more inconsistent in 2022 versus 21 or 20. I had the most under par rounds of my life this year and also way too many rounds flirting in the 80 range.

Work to be done for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FormerBigDaddy said:

Found that I can hit the ball rather terribly but keep it in play enough to maintain handicap under 10.  Had very very few rounds where I stuck the ball solidly.  I've had countless rounds this year without a single flushed shot.  Very frustrating year bc I've had YEARS of being a higher HC golfer where I hit the ball pure way more consistently.  But also consistently off line as well... don't know if the trade off is worth it.  Keeping it in play with lots of thin and fat shots is not very satisfying.  Pretty crazy feeling to be an 8 HC and know I cannot hit a shot solid often.  I seriously look like a 30HC hitting a hybrid/wood off the deck.  Sometimes I can't even get them off the ground!  Thank god for technology and forgiveness of drivers these days.  Thankfully I still get about 250yds out a of complete mishit with the driver.  With that said my short game definitely improved this year.  Much more consistent around the greens.  Goal for next year is to figure out how to hit it solid again and pair it with improved short game.

That was me about 5 yrs ago.  Got tired of hitting it like crappola with the irons.  Only pure talent saved me.  Had enough and sought out a good instructor that I know.  I was at a point where either I fixed it or I quit playing.  It took about 5 minutes with a few swings and a few videos to realize that my swing was pure junk.  Setup was bad.  That lead to all manner of bad from there on.  It took a while (a long while) to get to a better setup that felt decent (once you're bad - good doesn't feel good for a long time) and then worked on fixing the rest of the junk.  It took a good year to stop having a relapse every other round, but we finally got me straightened out.  I still get into bad positions and have bad things go on, but it doesn't take more than 10 minutes with him to right the ship.   It is truly a joy to go out there and be amazed that I can hit shots that don't suck and border on really good.  

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

First of all, great thread idea. I really enjoy reading the stories. 

2022 was a learning year. In 2021 I won two club events without playing much golf and somehow scored better than I have in since my younger competition days. I also was under par a handful of times throughout the year on different courses, it all just seemed very easy for once. This year, swing flaws caught up to me and exposed a short game with iffy fundamentals, as well as strains to my neck and back. I made the game way too complicated and starting playing “let’s swing like the recent PGA Tour winner” instead of a stock shot. 

2023 will be committing to a fade, better short game practice, less beer and more walking, and enjoying every singe round. 

This 2022 season is my best ever season. I always tell that to myself at the end of the season. I always wonder how can I improve more the next season because it seems like my game is already maxed out. But here I am again, ending my season, a better golfer than I was last year. And like the last three years, I credit the improvements, not because of swing changes or speed training or equipment. But rather, fixing my mental state. The way I was thinking or feeling, when playing, really improved and so did my game. 

I committed to my game plan, most of the games I played this year. I checked on Google Earth the courses I played and I planned on how to play each hole. Which ones I will use my driver and which one I will just try to advance the ball and get out of that hole with a max score of bogey. It worked because I usually play the same rotation of courses and in the last 10 years, I already know what my score is on certain holes that I hated. So, this year, I told myself, let's change the way we play the said holes. The result is I have lowered my double bogey rate to 8% instead of 12%. My doubles now, come from bad shots around or on the green and rarely from off the tee box. 

I have been aiming at the middle of the greens. This increased my GIR rate from 38% to a whopping 50% rate. Also thanks to finally finding a set of irons that I really enjoy to play and trust. Played a lot of bump and runs and only used my sand wedge when really needed. This improved my scrambling! I played safe more than ever and accepted a bogey and sometimes caught some pars in the process. I laughed off my bad shots and never let it get to me. I was less delusional and more happy playing this 2022. 

I shot even par on my first 2 games of the season. Too bad I never was able to do it again for the third time. I have shot more single digits over par this year compared to any year since I regularly played golf again in 2012. My scores now were mostly low 80's to mid 70's to high 70's. I had some very memorable games where I shot in the 70's on harder courses that I always struggle playing. There was this one course where we were so unlucky to play with where they had an event where the greens were so fast and the pins were so crazy but I still managed to put together an 82. It felt like I shot even par on that day because of how unfair the pins were. 

I played very well on the lone serious tournament that I join annually, that I prepare for every off season. Usually I will shoot in the 70's on the first 2 rounds and then qualify and then fizzle on the last two rounds because I am mentally exhausted. This year, I shot in the 70's for the first two rounds and qualified for the finals and got to play 2 more games for free and was able to get paired up with four different great golfers on the following weekend. I got to see how better plays plotted their way around the course and how managed their game. It was pretty boring to be honest but it did open up my eyes on what to do and how to do it. I shot in the 70's again on the last two rounds, something I was never able to achieve before. Though I did not win, I was able to enjoy myself and play really well. 

I bought Shot Scope and really enjoyed the stats it brought. I finally realized that I am not as bad as I thought to be when it comes to driving the ball. It is actually putting that I need to really address if I want to take it to the next level. Because of this, I have finally lost interest in trying out and buying drivers. lol 

I played our annual "Ryder Cup" inspired tournament again, after being not able to play it due to Covid and other commitments. I was 2-0 in this format but I was handed my first loss ever. I went against one of the best players in our tournament and I was down 5 after 9 holes. I clawed my way back on the back 9 but I ran out of holes and ended up 1 down with 1 to go. It was a great experience to play with someone with such great game and to think that I almost pulled off the upset! 

As my 2022 comes to a close, I am full of gratitude that I was able to do what I was able to this year. I am not sure how I can improve next season or rather, I know what to do to improve. But the question is, will I have time and the drive to really take it to the next level or will I just maintain this kind of game?

Edited by msg
  • Like 3

I like these types of posts, so thank you.

2022?  It was the best of times and the worst of times.  I somehow posted 58 rounds.  My best score was a 74, my worst was an 86 on the year.  My HDCP is a 4.6 index, or a 5 on my home course.  Low was last year at a 4.0 index.  My handicap fluctuated in 2022 from a 4.0 to a 6.6 and obviously is coming back down.

Good:

1.  I am over my chipping yips, last year it sort of appeared once or twice, none here.

2. My putting was really comfortable, and good.

3. Some shots were really, really good.

Bad:

1. My chipping was good, but not great.  I was consistently inside 12' from off the green, but I was consistently outside 4'.

2. Took a couple of lessons at the beginning of the year, which was a bad time to take lessons.  When I was able to institute the changes my distance fluctuated by 10-15 yards which really ruined my scores.  I would guess I hit the ball along the lines of my lessons about 30%-50% of the time.  The change led me to feel super steep and my miss became a chunk and not a thin, which is a killer miss.

Best of Times?

1.  Starting a year of unlimited lessons.  With more time over the winter I will be able to really work on the changes to gain that distance back.  The pro has made some setup changes as well to accommodate my back which is getting less able seemingly daily.

2. My sim will be up at the house so I will be able to re-dial in my distances and really work on that.  One of major strengths was from inside 100 yards, I think with a sim at the house I will get back to that.

3. Two years ago I was a 1 HDCP but suffered a serious power outage, which precipitated the lessons in the first place.  When I see my irons fly the 1 HDCP distance v the 5 HDCP distance I know I still have it in me, but if it only happens sporadically and I am playing for the 5 HDCP seven iron rather than the 1 I am in trouble, and vice versa.

I expect 2023 will be a really good year...

• Like 3

Great thread. I'll play. 

• 2022 was the first full season where I rightfully *expected* to score in the 80's and did so the majority of the time. My typical score was 84. Rounds in the 70's or the 90's were equally rare throughout the season with just a couple of each. I can confidently say I'll shoot in the 80's on any given day. Next season I'll have loftier goals. 

• I accomplished my goal of firming up the long end of my bag. I got my driver fit, found a fairway wood I love and rounded out the long end with a hybrid and a utility. I feel like I have a perfect club for every shot I should reasonably attempt on the course. 

• Finally, I think I've finally conquered performance anxiety on the golf course. I feel comfortable out there almost all the time. When I don't have my best game I still find ways to enjoy the round and have fun with my friends. This is huge for me as a lifelong worrier and overthinker. 
  • Like 3

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

On 10/17/2022 at 7:08 PM, phizzy30 said:

Dropped my index one stroke which is big for me considering I'm already low single cap.  Driver is finally becoming more consistent now and I don't have a two way miss like I did before.  I finally had an aha moment in January and am back to compressing my irons therefore slowly getting my distance control back.  I too like you, switched from a 1K Pro Orange to the Diamana TB which is partially the reason my driver is more reliable.  I don't have to go after it as hard to hit up as much to get optimal numbers and surprisingly finding the sweet spot more often.  This comes as a surprise to me as blue board profile shafts normally don't work for me for driver.  I'd like to eventually work my way down to scratch which means more time practicing especially on my short game even though putting is my strong suit.  I really suck at 50 yards and in though. 

...you're close (I believe) to the Golf Development Center in Simi Hills, work with the tons & tons of targets there. I remember after COVID, that was one of the place that opened first (THANK YOU Ventura County) while all the dumb*ss LA City ranges were closed.

Love that GDC place but it's too long of a drive with the ridiculous gas prices (even Costco). It's where I honed a lot of my short game post Covid. Fast, slopey green for putting. Chipping area is too ridiculous with rock hard, super slopey greens though, they need to level out that area, ugh.

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Just now, SwingBlues said:

...you're close (I believe) to the Golf Development Center in Simi Hills, work with the tons & tons of targets there. I remember after COVID, that was one of the place that opened first (THANK YOU Ventura County) while all the dumb*ss LA City ranges were closed.

Love that GDC place but it's too long of a drive with the ridiculous gas prices (even Costco). It's where I honed a lot of my short game post Covid. Fast, slopey green for putting. Chipping area is too ridiculous with rock hard, super slopey greens though, they need to level out that area, ugh.

It's actually about an hour away from where I live but I've played there numerous times back in my teens when I was on the golf team.  I'm going to be in the SFV area next week and might play SImi Hills but mostly Balboa/Encino or Woodley Lakes.  In any case, I will make a trip out to Simi to see what all the fuss is about, lol. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

46 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

It's actually about an hour away from where I live but I've played there numerous times back in my teens when I was on the golf team.  I'm going to be in the SFV area next week and might play SImi Hills but mostly Balboa/Encino or Woodley Lakes.  In any case, I will make a trip out to Simi to see what all the fuss is about, lol. 

Ah, gotcha. Well if you play Balboa, you hit it right time, greens a bit better since that long extended heat wave 3 weeks ago fried some greens (particularly the dog leg right 16th) and practice area. Last Saturday, the 16th looked green again but some minor bare spots. Better than the dried, brown disaster it once was. Encino & Balboa good shape, Woodley pretty good too but don't expect fast greens since they are soft, drop and stop last Saturday (well, we had some minor rain)

Happy Birdy Hunting 👍

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Cobra Forged Tec X 5 - PW KBS TGI 85 stiff shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48* & Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

2022 was a transitional year. At the end of 2021 I decided I needed to improve my approach play at all costs, and after finding a swing coach I liked, I made some big changes.

Upsides 

played a lot more golf. 

My swing is much more technically sound, and I hit the ball better than I ever have, but not all the time. Getting caught in the middle of a change led to some really rough rounds, but I also had some of my best rounds in a long time, shooting even par multiple times.

hit some of the purest shots of my life. Still riding the high of a 4 iron from 238 to 15’ on a par 5.

For the first time in my life, putting became a strength. I made some alignment changes and then one day I decided that some times you just have to get up there and drain a 10’ par putt, and after that, everything was different. 

Wedge play (135 and in) was really, really good; a lot of days I could hit within 3 yards either side of the number.

Downsides

Worst year of my life with the driver; swing changes messed with my feel for my low point, and not being able to stay out of the trees really hampered me in many rounds. 

Lost distance across the bag. I had one round averaging around 300 but most days 280 was a really good drive. Lost about half a club on the irons in the late summer and I’m still not sure why.

I’m afraid to go low; I had at least three rounds where I was under par on the 17th tee and finished even or worse. Playing golf scared too much.

While strike quality was nearly always good, I suffered bouts of big left misses with the irons.

The bag

Changed fairway wood setup; I hadn’t carried two since high school. I added a tsi2 15* and turned my 915f 16.5 up to 18*, and the five wood became a favorite. Getting ready to order a tsr2 21*

just got a TSR2! Excited to see how it goes.

Goals for next year

Regain speed over the winter; started the Stack foundations and have already put on 2mph. Current on-course speed with driver is about 109 and I want to get that to 115 by next spring with a max well over 120. Lots of gym work to support this.

Get my head right; I feel I’m massively underperforming and as I mentioned, I’m scared to go low. Feel free to recommend books.

shoot -2 or better

• Like 2

Pretty sure I played more golf in 2022 since than I have since ... like 1998. 

Upsides

I put a ton of work into my short game. It's better than it's ever been. I no longer fear little 30 yard pitches or flops over a bunker or just cute little bump and runs near the green. I feel super confident within that range more than I really ever have and it's 100% due to the work I put in back early in the year; many long days around the short game area at the club.

Downsides

Futzing with my irons. I've gone over so many shaft setups over the last year - I got messed up and lost. REALLY struggled with horribly inconsistent iron play for the better part of the summer due to changing things constantly. 

The bag

Explorations of my shaft selections have been made quite clear in many threads. Buncha graphite attempts and plenty of honeymoon phases. Spent a minute with the Cally Apex Pros. Messed around with shafts in all my woods. Ultimately, wound up mostly back where I started. 

Goals for next year

No more gear nonsense. Focus on the game.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Looking back this was probably my worst year of golf I've had since I started shooting in the 70's in my early teens.  My handicap is up, my stats are all down.  All things relative I've played some really bad golf this year by my standards.  I have a 89 and a 91 on the handicap card this year, scores I haven't seen in 30 years.  I never really put together a full 18 this year, but did have numerous 9 hole scores coming in under par with 32 being my low 9 this year, so that for sure would be my upside along with the general fun I have with my group.  

Next year, goal one is to get my health in order.  I've gained a ridiculous amount of weight and am in the worst shape of my life.  I hands down think that's played a big part in the decline of my game starting last year and going into this year.  Second, I'm actually feeling motivated to start practicing again.  I haven't really done that in a good 5 years, I should be a scratch or + golfer, and it's a miracle I'm still sitting at a 3 given I put no time into anything outside of just playing.  I'd like to get back to scratch and be way more consistent so my playing partners can recognize me again. 

As far as my bag goes, I just changed it all out at the start of last year, I see no real reason to change anything, I hate changing clubs.  I will of course look and test, but unlikely anything will change unless the next Stealth driver improves on this one. 

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

My view?

BCD208F9-B52F-4FC3-9135-F00C9A528A23.jpeg

• Haha 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

2022 season?

Somewhat unusual?

Had played on and off for years (mostly off) joined a club for the first time in 2021 (lockdown golfer) and made some progress. 

2022 comes along and I’m doing ok, started entering some cards, all poor rounds but got a handicap for the first time ever. 

missed a 5 footer to break 80 (actually for a front 9 39, but I tend to go 2,3 lower in the back 9 when I do play the full 18). Got close a few times but that was the closest. 

Started a course of lessons; first lesson wanted to clear up (once and for all) whether to continue right handed or switch to left handed (I’m left handed, left footed etc). 

It’s something my pro and I had discussed before. RH had always looked better, but never quite felt right, this time I’d figured something out (saw it on YouTube believe it or not), lefty won, no contest.  

went out and shot 43 for 9 the next day. 

Still have shockers LH, and it feels very different, but the pars and birdies seem to come easier. 

45 last night, and that included a 9, so happy with the decision. When it works it is so much easier than RH.

Equipment.

pretty much had to get a whole new bag! 

I play a half set, all old stuff, individual clubs off eBay, two that I built myself, mostly Cleveland but not by design. very happy with  it

titleist 983k driver

Cleveland launcher 5 wood (nippon steel shaft, assembled myself)

Cleveland 588cb 5&7

mizuno mp32 9

Cleveland 53 diadic 

wishon anser style putter (my first club build)

I have a thread on here about my game (which is on life support) so this may be duplicative, but I've enjoyed reading others' summaries so will provide my own. 

Overall

I've had a great golf year in that I've been able to play a lot, while getting better by undertaking quite a bit of high value practice. This has been supported by a good coach. As a result, my handicap is the lowest it's ever been (0.5), but, perhaps more importantly, my game is the most consistent it's ever been. I was always the type of player who could shoot near par one day and then shoot 83 the next (which I can still do...), but have become a much more well rounded player who shoots low to mid 70s the vast majority of the time. 

One way to illustrate this is last weekend I played at my "nemesis" golf course. There is nothing particularly challenging about this course, but it is full of hard dog leg rights with trees lining the right hand side (often very close to the tee) and left hand side. May not sound like a big deal to many, but the "old me" played a massive push draw / hook off the tee, so these holes were impossible (I lived left of left in the trees). "New me" has zero'd out my path quite a bit and vastly improved my club face consistency, so I was able to par all these holes and even play cuts to give myself good looks, even on a day where I didn't hit the ball particularly well.  

Positives 

- Have vastly increased my birdies per round. I was always a 1-2 birdies a round guy with a lot of pars, but now I can throw together 5-6 birdies a round

- Putting has improved dramatically, which is probably the reason for point 1 above. I've gone back to a traditional blade and really focused on start line. The result has been way more made putts in the 8-15 foot range and a lot more saves from 4-8 feet 

- Driver: although I still think this a weakness relative to my handicap, it has been much "safer" over the year, as evidenced by my story above. My good drives are essentially straight, as well, which allows me to be more comfortable on more types of holes 

- Wedge play from 60-110 has become pretty automatic, and really allows me to attack 

Areas to Improve 

- Driver has room to improve. My good drives are getting better, but need to have it become more automatic. I don't question that I can get there, but need to continue to work on my swings faults and allow them to bleed into this club 

- Pitching and chipping have become somewhat more inconsistent than I would like. My stats are decent, but it seems to oscillate round by round more so that historically. Need to put in more practice here

- Physically, I need to work on getting my hips right. They have always been a problem, but have been acting up more than I'd like. I have a good PT but need to stay consistent

Generally, I'm looking forward to the rest of the year and what's in store in the future. I live in a warm climate, so there is no off-season, so I'm going to continue to press on and hope to push my handicap into the plus arena. 

• Like 4

I love seeing other golfers in here enjoying the grind! The fun is doing the work, no?

• Like 3

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Great. I started playing again at the very end of 2021 after 12yrs. off. My kid is 8 and has a ridiculously good natural swing so we played a lot together. My aunt lives in Myrtle Beach so we got down there twice to visit and play over last winter/early spring.

I ended up connecting with a large Facebook group and joining a league. I also subbed a few times in another league for the same group. Met so many great guys.

At the beginning I was having trouble with my knee (torn meniscus) and lower back getting tight. Those issues are gone now and able to play pain free golf with the help of exercises, stretching, better swing and CBD (add thc if you need putting help).

My handicap went on a little rollercoaster as high as 19 and now sitting at 16. I accomplished my goal of breaking 80 playing with my son and my good friend at a medium difficulty course late August. That was the highlight of the season. 

I also walk a lot and it's been great for health. I was up in the mid 190's and now down to 186-187.  So really no matter how I play it's the physical health benefits and for me the mental health benefits are also huge. Having something to really look forward to, work on getting better at, a little friendly competition. Glad I started playing again. 

• Like 1

About to write a novel, great thread, fun read -

An interesting year for sure. At 34, I’m in year 10 of playing golf and still as passionate about it as when I first started.

A little scene setting - The season before this one was my “best” season to date. Because of Covid and moving from a southern state to a northern one at the right golf time, I got in over 120 rounds that season. This past season I was at about half that after returning to a more normal work life (60ish rounds). I have “best” in quotes because swing wise my game felt sharper, but this past season vs what I’d say was my “best” season, I scored better this season.

And now - This past season I got down to a plus handicap for the first time (+1.7) early on in the year and had wild fluctuations throughout, even at one point being soft capped where I couldn’t go any higher when I was struggling (like a 3.5 or something, I try to block it out). I finished the season as +0.9, and I’m really really happy with that but how I got here was interesting and didn’t feel great at times.

My low score this year was a 67, my high was an 87. Ive generally been a more consistent player but this year my peaks and valleys were crazy. My iron and wedge play are statistically the best it’s ever been. My driving and around the greens while being statistically solid have felt the worst and abandoned me in tournament play. Putting I’m super streaky and get hot, had a round with 7 birdies, have gone many consecutive rounds with none.

I went into this season wanting to play way more tournament rounds, and I did just that. I’ve only played competitively for 3-4 years and only 2-3 events a season, basically dipping my toe in. This year that was way up as I had 15-20 competitive rounds across club events and local and state qualifiers. To keep with the theme of peaks and valleys, I generally scored terribly (sometimes nerves, sometimes just didn’t have it) but I also found myself in the club championship final pairing after firing a 69 on day one (good). I followed that up with an 84 the next day (bad). A 77 would’ve won it as no one played particularly well that final day. That one stings.

Overall - I’m happy where my game is. For next season my focus is to get my driving back to where it used to be. Chasing some more distance as I’ve improved as a player has really not gone well overall and I need to stop tinkering with driver shafts and heads and just stick with something that gets me off the tee comfortably. If I can get driver confidence back, I know I can play well in tournaments.

Also, need to be more committed to a chipping/pitching routine, my bad shots from this area come from a lack of focus and routine. I take them for granted being so close to the hole. I’ve been a good chipper and pitcher, just need to get back to that.

Lastly, I want to improve on my tournament preparation. I get myself way too geeked up and over practice and by the time the event comes by the back nine I’m worn down and over it. I love the idea of competing but this game is so unforgiving at times and I need to work on my tournament mentality.

• Like 2

Following this thread. Since my season just ended, it is very appropriate to add to this thread.  I love being reflective on the year and being intentional about next year's goals. 

Accomplishments

·       Social: I had a great season with a lot of fun and got to know a few new friends.

·       Results: Shot a career low (post kids) with a 76. Broke 80 a handful of times.

·       Attitude: Had a great attitude (I think) about the highs and lows. 

·       Shot Making:

o   220-250 yard shots…..Added a 3&4 hybrid into my game and my second shot on par 5s was vastly better than with long irons. I had eagle putts 4 or 5 times this summer because of these clubs.  They are perfect clubs for tee shots on shorter pars 4s on my course.  (Thanks to the WRX thread that announced the Apex UW deal on PGA Superstore). 

o   Chipping: One of the people I play with said something that really clicked for me. If I actually pick a very specific spot to aim at and try to hit it, it is amazing how the mind can translate to the hands.

o   Putting: My putting made some good strides with reducing putts per round but I still have work to do. Example: yesterday I missed one 4 footer for par and one 6 footer for birdie.

·       Accolades:

o   People say I have a very repeatable and simple swing. When I am purposeful and on it, I get complimented on my tempo.  Bad things happen when I rush the swing…..

2023 Goals 

·       Continue the round through the back nine. I will often shoot even or 1,2 or 3 over on the front and then 7 or 8 over on the back. Change this!

·       Don’t be self-deprecating towards my game when people say “you’re playing really well”.  My usual response is “ just wait, it will change….that’s why I am an 8 handicap “. Grind through to play my best golf for 18 holes and play to the best of my ability for 18 holes. Be gracious and say “thank you, I love this game”.

·       Putting:

o   utilize the methods in Obee’s Putting Thread i.e. get the ball to roll end over end, practice 3 footers, keep using the claw gift.

o   Make more putts from 6-10 feet and in.

o   Increase number of 1 putts per round. 

o   Practice putting off season by rolling putts on a yardstick and research an indoor putting matt.

·       Handicap –

o   Go from an 8.4 index to a 6 or lower. 

o   Get help from the pro with this.

·       Fitness

o   Do stretch and strength year round. Get bands and long wooden dowel for mobility and to help increase club head speed. 

·       Competition:    

o   In addition to the club championship play in a state sanctioned tournament. 

o   Recruit people to play a skins game on the weekend.

o   Be a little more balanced next year with other activities.  Bike & hike more 

·       Equipment 

o   Get new 52* and 56* wedges 

o   See if I need a new regular flex driver shaft

o   Continue to use my hydro flask cups for water on the course.   In the past two years, I have not used one plastic cup for water while playing golf.  Keep the water bottle in the bag (maybe clean it every so often)

Edited by _chs_
  • Like 2

My first full year of playing golf after starting in May of 2021 and I am so hopelessly addicted to this game. I didn't necessarily have a bunch of goals but I did fall head first into the sport and definitely am excited to set more goals for next year. 

2022: 

1) Built out a bag I am both proud of and happy with. Epic Speed 9* with 60g MMT stiff, Epic speed 4w HZRDUS green, Adams Pro Hybrids 20 and 23*, Ping i210 5-PW C-taper 120, RTX4 Wedges 50, 54, 58 and a 2004 Odyssey Two-Ball

2) Shot a personal best of 85 over 18 and 39 over 9 holes. Handicap is currently sitting at 14. I improved my short game considerably which has brought my scoring down with it. Averaging only 20-25% GIR but scrambling has been good if not great at times. I've played about 45 rounds this year. 

3) Made 7 birdies and chipped in for my first eagle on a par 5 from about 15 yards out. 

4) Got my wife into the game and she loves it which makes me happy. 

Goals for 2023 :

1) Break into single digit handicap

2) Get my GIR% to 40-50% 

3) Reduce the number of double bogeys that I needlessly make by keeping the ball in play and getting rid of the three putts. 

4) Play a lot 

• Like 3

Great thread, gonna write a bit of a novel here.

It's hard to tell for me. Looking at the stats for this year I've had incremental improvement over last year in rounds I've kept track, yet my handicap has gone up. I think I can actually attribute that to a couple things: 1) a lot less vanity, I didn't take as many mulligans and 2) when I did keep track of my score, it was usually at a course other than my home course 3) inconsistent playing time. Combine those with a lack of practice and you get a high handicap. Also looking back, I didn't really have any low rounds, I never broke 40. I don't remember any rounds where I didn't keep score that felt like they were great either. I had set some goals and I don't remember them, but I know I didn't reach them. I also spent more on clubs this year than I would have liked. 

Now to circle back to the good points. I did see incremental improvements in a lot of areas, a little bit of distance gain, putts going from 2.9 to 2.5, overall scoring average for my 9 hole rounds went down almost 2 strokes (18 hole rounds is too small a sample size to glean anything), gir 2.4 to 2.5. I think the jump could possibly be from playing enough rounds so that my personal best and some other good rounds fell off. Another positive for me is my probable last round of the season was a bit of a grind, but I didn't take a mullie, I was playing from the tips in the early morning, and I made some good shots after I woke up/warmed up.

Overall I'd say it was a good enough year. Now to formulate a plan for the off season.

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

Weird year for me to say this least. 

Battled a wrist issue (likely torn TFCC as per physio) most of the year. Started the year off hot (first 5 rounds between 71 and 66) and then suddenly was in so much pain that I couldn’t hit a driver 180 yards and shot +19 for 9 holes. After seeing physiotherapy, I got a brace (wrist widget) and got some rehab going.

Played less-probably stopped playing mid-round almost as much as I finished rounds, pain tolerance really varied. Somehow got down to a +4 handicap in our men’s league. 

Wrist started affecting me even more in the late summer and then fall when I joined a college golf team (local community college had a good team with aspirations, and I’m back to school for a semester). This was overly optimistic! Complete inability to hit an iron within 20 yards of where I was aimed all year. Scoring average around 78 for the year.

Pretty sure I totally tore my TFCC (or something else) on the second shot of round 1 of Nationals-was in a lot of pain and could hardly swing, let alone hit the ball halfway straight. Would have withdrawn had it been an individual event. Shot 94 day one and played the last three days hook-bunting everything around 10 feet high to the tune of 82, 79, 78. Honestly could not have played better the last three days given what I had. 

Positives-glimmers of hope at the start of the year. Mental game was damn near 100% efficiency all year (this has typically been the thorn in my side). 

Negatives-health/pain

Edited by b.mattay

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

The good:

Lowest ever index at 2.9, first round under par -2 70, won my annual match against a buddy for the first time since 2017 (with a birdie on the 20th hole) and improved my driver performance (accuracy) by several orders of magnitude. Bunker play went from an absolute liability to very consistently serviceable trending towards "pretty good." I've birdied or eagled 16/18 holes at my home course with 2 months left to play (year round golf in the desert SW). I've played 50ish rounds of golf so far and consistently practiced 2+ days a week. I'm also having more fun on the course and not letting bad days get to me as much as I used to. Walked 20+ rounds and nearly everything from now to April or so will be walking. Teeing off tomorrow after a 2 week total break to reset.

The bad:

Putting became a BIG struggle late in the summer, lost all confidence from 4-8 feet and missed a few inside 3 feet in pressure situations. I've never been a "great" putter but I've always been solid. It's going to take some serious work to recover mentally. Didn't play well in several golf association tournaments after a few nice wins in 2021. Scoring didn't travel well to new courses, I got lazy on strategy and target selection. 

The ugly:

Chipping with lofted wedges is impossible and I don't understand how people are good at it, lessons haven't helped. 

2023:

Play forward and back more instead of always going off the same tees, maintain my full swing while really dedicating time to the short game. Stick to a fitness and mobility routine, getting old sucks.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Long_Left said:

The good:

Lowest ever index at 2.9, first round under par -2 70, won my annual match against a buddy for the first time since 2017 (with a birdie on the 20th hole) and improved my driver performance (accuracy) by several orders of magnitude. Bunker play went from an absolute liability to very consistently serviceable trending towards "pretty good." I've birdied or eagled 16/18 holes at my home course with 2 months left to play (year round golf in the desert SW). I've played 50ish rounds of golf so far and consistently practiced 2+ days a week. I'm also having more fun on the course and not letting bad days get to me as much as I used to. Walked 20+ rounds and nearly everything from now to April or so will be walking. Teeing off tomorrow after a 2 week total break to reset.

The bad:

Putting became a BIG struggle late in the summer, lost all confidence from 4-8 feet and missed a few inside 3 feet in pressure situations. I've never been a "great" putter but I've always been solid. It's going to take some serious work to recover mentally. Didn't play well in several golf association tournaments after a few nice wins in 2021. Scoring didn't travel well to new courses, I got lazy on strategy and target selection. 

The ugly:

Chipping with lofted wedges is impossible and I don't understand how people are good at it, lessons haven't helped. 

2023:

Play forward and back more instead of always going off the same tees, maintain my full swing while really dedicating time to the short game. Stick to a fitness and mobility routine, getting old sucks.

I try to talk friends into playing forward but rarely get any takers. It’s fun to play from parts of one’s home course - they don’t see the fun in it.

21 hours ago, _chs_ said:

I try to talk friends into playing forward but rarely get any takers. It’s fun to play from parts of one’s home course - they don’t see the fun in it.

We did it today, had a blast. Our normal tees play 6700-6900, we played one set up today which is usually about 6200 but has been playing shorter due to the guy who puts the markers out turning 60 earlier this year, so he now gets to play the white tees in the association games... probably played 6000 even today and it completely changes the course. I hit more drivers today than I do from the blues trying to get close to par 4s as the "pinch points" and many trees and bunkers weren't in play. Only shot 3 better than my average score this year but it shows me that I need to sharpen up my short game. Next month we'll do the opposite and play a round from the tips at ~7200, hopefully my playing partners enjoyed it as much as I did and we keep it going...

• Like 1