G430 LST crazy low spin

Lloyd_Christmas29

The oversees reviews are popping up on G430. Alex Etches was getting TSR4 type spin with the LST driver in the 1600 range. Not sure if this is a good thing. Hopefully it is still forgiving like the 425 LST. 

link to video

Edited by Lloyd_Christmas29

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

He had it set on 7.5* for most of the video.  He moved it back to 9* at the very end and got around 2,000 RPM spin when he said he caught it on the heel.  His last shot was around 1600 RPM spin and it went 365 total (maybe a toe strike?).  Either way, it looks like it controls spin quite well for sure which I'm excited about.  I always find it's a lot easier to add spin to a club that starts as low spinning as opposed to trying to remove spin from a club that is inherently high spinning.

Edited by 03trdblack
  • Like 2

1600 rpm is unplayable unless your ball speed is 185+, IMO.  Even then, you would want more spin in order to increase accuracy.  I do like the way the G430 looks though.  A lot cleaner than previous generations. 

Edited by phizzy30

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, Leska said:

Isent 1600 spin borderline unplayable ? And only for sim bombs ? 
I might be wrong. Ive just always read, that spin that low is not good on the real golf course

Yeah, I want at least 2000 in my driver, 2200-2300 is ideal. Ping has just always been known as a company that makes straight drivers, but never the longest on the market so I found the video surprising. 

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

I’ve seen a bunch of Japanese reviewers with slightly steep out to in swings get over 3K spin with the 10.5 degree LST.

I think we’ll have to wait for some of the more data-driven reviewers’ videos, especially comparison videos where they are swinging e.g. TSR3 on the same day, to know for sure how the G430 stacks up.

On 10/18/2022 at 12:24 PM, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

The oversees reviews are popping up on G430. Alex Etches was getting TSR4 type spin with the LST driver in the 1600 range. This one could be a bomber. Hopefully it is still forgiving like the 425 LST. 

link to video

Has he hit it on anything other than a sim yet?  And the stupid face he makes in that picture makes me want to kick a puppy.

• Like 4

On 10/18/2022 at 11:12 AM, Leska said:

Isent 1600 spin borderline unplayable ? And only for sim bombs ? 
I might be wrong. Ive just always read, that spin that low is not good on the real golf course

Not borderline. That would be a disaster on the course. 

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

He must have that gc4 jacked up. Those ball speeds don't correlate to those carry distances no matter the spin. And he has said he has it set to sea level too. I call BS. I produce much faster ball speeds than him and I'm not tremendously longer than what is stated in video. Also can't believe the launch monitor when it comes to rollout. 

On 10/18/2022 at 4:52 PM, GolfTurkey said:

I’ve seen a bunch of Japanese reviewers with slightly steep out to in swings get over 3K spin with the 10.5 degree LST.

I think we’ll have to wait for some of the more data-driven reviewers’ videos, especially comparison videos where they are swinging e.g. TSR3 on the same day, to know for sure how the G430 stacks up.

Interesting. That’s good to hear because 1600 average spin is unplayable on the golf course.

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

If I remember his numbers got much better at the end where he adjusted it to 9 degrees. I think he even got a little more distance at 9 degrees which would make you believe he probably should have shot the whole thing at 9 and in the end did a test run at 7.5 ?

54 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Yes, I think it makes far more sense to review a club in its standard settings, and then maybe show the effects of the adjustability at the end.

His videos are for entertainment purposes IMO, if you enjoy his sense of humour. If you're looking for logical, consistent, data-driven reviews then you have to wait for Mike Newton, 2nd Swing, TXG etc.

I agree 100%, I almost never watch him anymore and yes you named 3 of the review sites I'm subscribed to. Waiting patiently for some usable feedback from them. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lowlofted said:

He must have that gc4 jacked up. Those ball speeds don't correlate to those carry distances no matter the spin. And he has said he has it set to sea level too. I call BS. I produce much faster ball speeds than him and I'm not tremendously longer than what is stated in video. Also can't believe the launch monitor when it comes to rollout. 

GCQuad always inflates carry distances. The algorithm is flawed.

2 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

GCQuad always inflates carry distances. The algorithm is flawed.

Well the local guy I go to who has GC Quad in his shop actually seems very accurate to what I see on the course. Rollout can be suspect but my carry distances seem very close. He told me he has his set to not over inflate the numbers. Idk...

2 minutes ago, lowlofted said:

Well the local guy I go to who has GC Quad in his shop actually seems very accurate to what I see on the course. Rollout can be suspect but my carry distances seem very close. He told me he has his set to not over inflate the numbers. Idk...

It's fine for irons and normal spin but any time you combine high speed and low spin the Foresight algorithm significantly inflates carry distance. 

4 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

It's fine for irons and normal spin but any time you combine high speed and low spin the Foresight algorithm significantly inflates carry distance. 

Possibly so. The carry part of it seemed almost bang on  for my speed and what I see on course. I have a video of me going 340 carry on gc4 and I can do that on course as well. However I will say the rollout I feel like didn't sit well. 20 yards of rollout isn't realistic unless on some super fast and hard turf.

11 hours ago, Morry said:

Really want this for it's neutral bias.....if spin too low, won't be an option and I will be forced to go Max, hot melt toe, lighter weight in toe to keep from being too heavy, etc etc

fingers crossed life can be simpler...

Yeah probably best to get fit for the G430 . its not the most fun but it takes the guessing out of the equation . I got fit for the TSR2 Driver it arrives MONDAY !!!!!!

1) GCQuad sucks

2) Alex is a nice guy but his YT shtick is annoying af and is unwatchable

3) Watching people hit driver 300+ yds in any capacity is stupid for 90% of the golfing world to relate to a driver in a review

4) Sub 2000 spin is absolutely stupid and is unplayable on the course

5) If true based on several reviews, It looks like PING has made he next 'launch monitor queen' aka 'sub zero' model (Callaway) that sells drivers due to distance in the stores but is horrible on the course

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I can't be the only one a little concerned at this potentially being super low spin. Not all of us "long" hitters need/want something that spins low. I am naturally a low spin player with driver and with Ping drivers already being naturally heavy adding hotmelt to increase any spin isn't an easy solution. Can't stand to look at a bigger head shape in the Max either so hoping the spin rates on the G430 are playable.

• Like 1

I'd be taking very little away from this review apart from....well maybe Ping gone a bit lower spin o the LS model and tunes the acoustics again.  

A fair bit WRX has been screaming for a lower spinning LST model for ages and already we see worries that it is too low spin for some. I wouldn't worry at all until trying it and then, if it is too low spin, simply buy a different driver. Perhaps the Maximilian might even fit. So many great drivers out there now and we the consumer are the winners.  

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

On 10/20/2022 at 6:17 PM, lowlofted said:

As @mgoblue83 said, Foresight gives a healthy and inaccurate boost to super low spin drives. We've been seeing it for years, particularly on TXG's channel when Matt would regularly get similar numbers. He'd regularly push 330y+ carry on drivers with high 170's ball speed because he couldn't spin anything more than 2,200rpm and regularly lived in the mid/high 1,000's. No one is jacking anything up but Forsight and whatever is happening algorithmically there.  

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 3

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

10 hours ago, Htk084 said:

I don’t think the 430 LST will be too low of spin but if it is why not just go with the max?

Max is just too big of a footprint to look at. Also not very workable if you like to hit the ball both ways off the tee.

• Like 1

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

14 hours ago, AmateurAmateur said:

I can't be the only one a little concerned at this potentially being super low spin. Not all of us "long" hitters need/want something that spins low. I am naturally a low spin player with driver and with Ping drivers already being naturally heavy adding hotmelt to increase any spin isn't an easy solution. Can't stand to look at a bigger head shape in the Max either so hoping the spin rates on the G430 are playable.

I am one of those that swings a few degrees in to out and 6 degrees up on the ball so I am a pretty low spin player even at 115 mph swing speed. I was looking forward the LST for the sound improvement but my 425 LST fits me perfect so I’m worried the 430 is going to knuckleball for me.

• Like 1

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

4 hours ago, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

I am one of those that swings a few degrees in to out and 6 degrees up on the ball so I am a pretty low spin player even at 115 mph swing speed. I was looking forward the LST for the sound improvement but my 425 LST fits me perfect so I’m worried the 430 is going to knuckleball for me.

I also was worried about the spin, I know I overspin my G425 max probably average over 2500 rpm with decent swing speed (115-118 mph). But TBH I am happy giving up the potential for 10-15 on pure strikes to be playable with my poor strikes. Those wounded ducks off the high toe I need to still carry, had one today where I needed to carry a 260 yard hazard did it today with ease due to likely keeping spin on a high toe strike in the close to 1800-1900 range.

I will likely try out both the 430 max and LST, I may switch to the 425 LST or the TSR2 to decrease spin a bit while maintaining most of the forgiveness of the G425 max. I hated the sound at 1st but when I generally play out of the fairway I frankly don't give a damn! 

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

1 hour ago, bomberman said:

I also was worried about the spin, I know I overspin my G425 max probably average over 2500 rpm with decent swing speed (115-118 mph). But TBH I am happy giving up the potential for 10-15 on pure strikes to be playable with my poor strikes. Those wounded ducks off the high toe I need to still carry, had one today where I needed to carry a 260 yard hazard did it today with ease due to likely keeping spin on a high toe strike in the close to 1800-1900 range.

I will likely try out both the 430 max and LST, I may switch to the 425 LST or the TSR2 to decrease spin a bit while maintaining most of the forgiveness of the G425 max. I hated the sound at 1st but when I generally play out of the fairway I frankly don't give a damn! 

If you are partial to other brands don't be afraid to try out the standard LTDX as well. The forgiveness is closer to the Max while the spin is closer to the LST. Bit of a best of bost worlds for me.

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

I'm high spin and need the LST.

Should be perfect for me.  Hopefully it sounds like the G400LST. 

G430 LST 9.0 Ventus TR Blue 6s

G430 LST 3 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 7s

Stealth 2 Plus 5 wood (-2 degrees) Ventus TR Red 8s 

Stealth 2 Plus 2 hybrid (+ 2 degrees) Tour ADDI 85S

Stealth Plus 2 4 hybrid Ventus Blue 8s

0317T  5-P  PX LZ 6.5

RTX Zipcore  50, 54

Lab Link 1