Dress code gone too far?

I’m indifferent on tattoos, don’t have and never will, but some look cool.  The issue is it is impossible to list everything that people may find offensive (which seems like everything these days), so they throw a blanket over the entire subject.  I agree that if a private club has rules you don’t like or agree with, don’t join or ask to play as a guest.  If I showed up to practice in a t shirt and was told I need a collared shirt I will go to my car and put 1 on, I keep a wide variety of clothes in my car, cause you never know.

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

12 hours ago, jholz said:

Eh, "Kings of Leon"?

When they are throwing out Jello Biafra, give me a ring.

Does Jello even play?  I hope the security was at least wearing suede and denim.  Now, if they were telling Alice Cooper to take a hike...

I found it funny, way back when, but a lot of musicians like golf.  A co-worker had an in with many, and so I'd see Bill Buck coming in from the practice area, etc... 

(And hilariously---apologies if I've told this story before---ended up asking the shorter gentleman I was assisting with his luggage on check-out, who wore a knit hat, had what looked like a guitar case with an Aer Lingus sticker on it, and who I asked (trying to be friendly & ingratiating), "Oh, are you in a band?")

David Evans had to think I was screwing with him.  Nope, had zero clue.  Zero tip, too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Imagine a club in a former prison colony banning tattoos lol...

Hearing that it's Australia, and thinking of its proximity (relatively---it's still a long way away) from Japan, is it partially an attempt discourage a particular subculture's patronage?  

Probably a stretch.

It's definitely a thing in Japan, as I understand from tatted-up Americans trying to visit an onsen.  (Which restrictions are also silly; like yakuza are allowing Caucasians to be members....LOL)

8 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Does Jello even play?  I hope the security was at least wearing suede and denim.  Now, if they were telling Alice Cooper to take a hike...

I found it funny, way back when, but a lot of musicians like golf.  A co-worker had an in with many, and so I'd see Bill Buck coming in from the practice area, etc... 

(And hilariously---apologies if I've told this story before---ended up asking the shorter gentleman I was assisting with his luggage on check-out, who wore a knit hat, had what looked like a guitar case with an Aer Lingus sticker on it, and who I asked (trying to be friendly & ingratiating), "Oh, are you in a band?")

David Evans had to think I was screwing with him.  Nope, had zero clue.  Zero tip, too.

I have no clue who David Evans is so I would have made the same mistake.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Somehow, I think Jello does play. Would be a grand irony - and that's pretty much DK in a nutshell.

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

13 hours ago, elsie451 said:

But can we at least all agree that no one should dress like jt at the open 🤪Screenshot_20221027_164407.jpg.55a235efaea89f4ea0115459ef7cd8b7.jpg

I've posted about this before. Not sure what the dude is thinking.

Dressy shoes - high socks. Athletic shoes - ankle socks ok.

There's a fine line there - and unfortunately JT chooses to cross on the "wrong side" too many times.

Love the dude's game, however.

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

14 hours ago, elsie451 said:

But can we at least all agree that no one should dress like jt at the open 🤪Screenshot_20221027_164407.jpg.55a235efaea89f4ea0115459ef7cd8b7.jpg

10 hours ago, bcjim said:

The issue here is the shoes. You pick shoes that go with your outfit. 

Yes everything about the outfit is great on it own, but together is disaster. 

Not a fan of joggers (too old to jump into that trend) but they make way more sense to wear with athletic type golf shoes. 

3 hours ago, Robert72 said:

Another good reason to never get at tattoo, aside from...

They hurt.

They cost money.

They look like ****.

And if everyone is getting them, you are no longer the rebel you think you are.

Just like leather jackets in the 50s. Motorcycle riders had a reason to have a leather jacket. The other 99% got them as a fashion statement. 

• Like 1

Depending on the city and where a person goes, tattoo's still bother some people.  They still set the dander on fire at companies and private clubs with older clients, and charters.  I don't care if someone has tats, but they must be fully covered in the office or in the company of clients.  Wealth or notoriety mean nothing.   Took some clients to a restaurant recently, slacks and jacket were required...NO exceptions.  One of the clients got his dander up over it.... I said to him, don't go.  One of my past clubs, had the same rules for the main dinning room too.

A person's choices are NOT always going to be accepted by everybody they encounter.  YOUR freedom of choice is to put tattoo's all over your body; my freedom of choice is whether I like it.  Get used to it, it's NEVER going to change.  We're all different.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 3
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

39 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Depending on the city and where a person goes, tattoo's still bother some people.  They still set the dander on fire at companies and private clubs with older clients, and charters.  I don't care if someone has tats, but they must be fully covered in the office or in the company of clients.  Wealth or notoriety mean nothing.   Took some clients to a restaurant recently, slacks and jacket were required...NO exceptions.  One of the clients got his dander up over it.... I said to him, don't go.  One of my past clubs, had the same rules for the main dinning room too.

A person's choices are NOT always going to be accepted by everybody they encounter.  YOUR freedom of choice is to put tattoo's all over your body; my freedom of choice is whether I like it.  Get used to it, it's NEVER going to change.  We're all different.

I generally exercise my personal freedom by considering anyone telling me to wear a jacket and/or tie a complete tool not worth wasting any lifespan engaging with.

This is ancient history now but way back when we were young my best friend in college had a firm rule against wearing a jacket or tie for job interviews. He theory was, "If I'm dealing with idiots who are going to care about that kind of thing, best I find out before I waste my time or theirs". I think he had it just about right.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I generally exercise my personal freedom by considering anyone telling me to wear a jacket and/or tie a complete tool not worth wasting any lifespan engaging with.

This is ancient history now but way back when we were young my best friend in college had a firm rule against wearing a jacket or tie for job interviews. He theory was, "If I'm dealing with idiots who are going to care about that kind of thing, best I find out before I waste my time or theirs". I think he had it just about right.  

You and that attitude are ahead of yourself.  But, don't worry, you wouldn't be invited.

• Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

57 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Is wearing a suit particularly onerous? This kind of stuff is strange to me but to each their own. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I am guessing there is a line that one is not willing to cross for each of us. For my part, I will stand on certain principles if they are worth standing on... such trivial things as to whether a private club or a muni for that matter requires me to wear a shirt with a collar however do not merit that for me. It's just not a big deal to me I guess.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, North Butte said:

It's less comfortable than wearing normal clothes.

Won't dispute that. Does this extend to things like weddings or other formal events? Because there the suit still doesn't "serve a purpose" except presumably everyone else is wearing one and the person that elects to have this stance against suits just ends up looking self-important or selfish maybe?

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

The only weddings I've attended in the past couple decades have been casual affairs, thank goodness.

I do keep one "funeral suit" in the closet (although it doesn't fit very well these days) because when older people die some of their family may still be holding onto old-fashioned expectations about people dressing a certain way for the ceremony. If I am going to bother to attend a funeral in the first place, it's because I care enough about the deceased's family that I'd rather not cause them any discomfort, no matter how misplaced. 

All those years ago the key point for my friend was this, he was specific about the industry he wanted to work in and about the type of work he wanted to do. He was looking to work alongside other very motivated, very bright and serious people and wanted to do serious, highly technical work. For him (and I agree with his thinking) if unserious people have enough clout in the organization to nix hiring someone because of the way they dress that was a warning sign that there would be many other kinds of ongoing interference. 

Guess I could have just said, "It's a geek thing" to be more succinct!

Edited by North Butte
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

The only weddings I've attended in the past couple decades have been casual affairs, thank goodness.

I do keep one "funeral suit" in the closet (although it doesn't fit very well these days) because when older people die some of their family may still be holding onto old-fashioned expectations about people dressing a certain way for the ceremony. If I am going to bother to attend a funeral in the first place, it's because I care enough about the deceased's family that I'd rather not cause them any discomfort, no matter how misplaced. 

All those years ago the key point for my friend was this, he was specific about the industry he wanted to work in and about the type of work he wanted to do. He was looking to work alongside other very motivated, very bright and serious people and wanted to do serious, highly technical work. For him (and I agree with his thinking) if unserious people have enough clout in the organization to nix hiring someone because of the way they dress that was a warning sign that there would be many other kinds of ongoing interference. 

Guess I could have just said, "It's a geek thing" to be more succinct!

Who peed in @North Butte's cornflakes this morning?

Never seen anyone get so worked up about a custom that that is embraced literally around the world.   

Also, golf clothes are more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt.

8 hours ago, Robert72 said:

Another good reason to never get at tattoo, aside from...

They hurt.

They cost money.

They look like ****.

And if everyone is getting them, you are no longer the rebel you think you are.

Beat me to it.  There is an element of non-conformity to them, but yet.....

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

Who peed in @North Butte's cornflakes this morning?

Never seen anyone get so worked up about a custom that that is embraced literally around the world.   

Also, golf clothes are more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt.

I agree. I almost always wear pullover shirts with a collar rather than cotton t-shirts, unless I'm sleeping. My golf clothes are pretty much the most comfortable clothes I own except for this one loose-fitting Hawaiian shirt that's so ugly I'm embarrassed to wear it outside of the house!

And having an extended discussion on a...pardon the term...Internet discussion forum is hardly being "worked up". 

If every person other than me on the planet preferred to wear suits and ties every day it would be fine with me. But the minute one of them told me I was supposed to be dressing like that, I'd tune them out and refuse to engage because any further discussion would be a waste of my time and theirs. 

On 10/27/2022 at 6:36 AM, davep043 said:

So you spend no money there, use their facilities for free, and STILL complain?

No, that is not the case.  I play the course once a week so as a paying patron, yes, I can complain.  I support dress codes, to an extent, for on course play but practice areas…. nope, they need to get over themselves with that sh*t! And when I referred to wearing a t-shirt, I use the term loosely…. It’s actually a solid non-collar wick-away shirt.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X