2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Dress code gone too far?

On 10/27/2022 at 7:52 AM, david.c.w said:

Great call.  And on top of all you said, he actively makes a point to do the opposite.

I sure do and will do so for stupid *** rules like this!  Who cares what shirt i wear on the practice area.  This is a public course that my tax payer dollars contribute to.  I also play here once a week, so yeah I do have a right to voice my opinion.

• Like 2

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

16 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

I sure do and will do so for stupid *** rules like this!  Who cares what shirt i wear on the practice area.  This is a public course that my tax payer dollars contribute to.  I also play here once a week, so yeah I do have a right to voice my opinion.

Apparently the organization providing the facility and service that you want care what shirt you wear.  That much is clear.  Follow the rules or GTFO.

3 hours ago, david.c.w said:

Follow the rules or GTFO.

Lol .. will never happen especially on something as ridiculous as this.  But thanks for providing your opinion.  We will agree to disagree on this one.

Edited by Sons_of_Pitches

DRIVER - CALLAWAY PARADYM X 9*

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G430 15* / 18* / 21*

IRONS - PXG 0317 CB [5i-GW]

WEDGES - MIZUNO T22 54.08 / 58.08 / 62.08

PUTTER - LAB Mezz.1 Max Broomstick

PXG 0317 X

7 hours ago, Sons_of_Pitches said:

Lol .. will never happen especially on something as ridiculous as this.  But thanks for providing your opinion.  We will agree to disagree on this one.

Why? If someone sets the rules for use of their property would you deliberately go against them, abide them or not go there?

I sure disagree with you if you choose the first option.

• Like 1

Put it this way:  if a friend invited you to his house, and said kimonos are the required dress, do you a)go there and wear the kimono, b)decline the invitation, or c)go there in regular clothes and complain and moan when he tells you to go home?

The participation in golf is not affected in any way by dress codes.  People who pull out the "grow the game" card are as disingenuous as the professional tours when they do it.  It's actually not growing the game one iota, but it's enough pabulum that people won't go to the lengths to dispute the fact someone is just trying to use it to get things the way they want.

It kind of reminds me of the argument about sporting events being "no longer affordable."  Actually, they can be.  First off, a ticket is the only thing required, parking is possibly a requirement, but beyond that, no one is forced to eat at a game, or buy the merchandise.  And that ticket?  There are plenty of tickets that aren't expensive at all, but what the person really means is it's not affordable to sit behind home plate or at the 50 yard line like they want to.  There are plenty of golf courses that will take your money, and let you play wearing jeans, covered in tattoos or whatever else is considered verboten in places, but the people who complain about dress codes don't want to play at those places.  They want ANGC to open their doors.

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Put it this way:  if a friend invited you to his house, and said kimonos are the required dress, do you a)go there and wear the kimono, b)decline the invitation, or c)go there in regular clothes and complain and moan when he tells you to go home?

Obviously, I'd decline the invitation. For that matter I'd decline any such invitation that specified how people should dress unless it were a costume party for Halloween or similar event. 

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Sounds like you are a very tolerant and lenient person.

It's a funny inversion of the concept "tolerant".

What term would you use for someone who doesn't like the way I dress and wants to dictate their own clothing choices to me? 

Edited by North Butte

58 minutes ago, North Butte said:

Obviously, I'd decline the invitation. For that matter I'd decline any such invitation that specified how people should dress unless it were a costume party for Halloween or similar event. 

And that is fine.  A & B are acceptable answers.  But there seems to be too many who think c is an acceptable answer.

Too many people seem to think "my house, my rules" doesn't apply when they are the ones visiting.  

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

And that is fine.  A & B are acceptable answers.  But there seems to be too many who think c is an acceptable answer.

Too many people seem to think "my house, my rules" doesn't apply when they are the ones visiting.  

In some places selfishness is regarded as a virtue. 🙄

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

50 minutes ago, North Butte said:

What term would you use for someone who doesn't like the way I dress and wants to dictate their own clothing choices to me? 

I have been in countless occasions requiring a collared shirt, tie and a suit or a dinner jacket and I can assure you I rather wear something less rigid. But those occasions have their own code and I respect that as I do not feel I should be the one protesting against everyone else taking part in that occasion.

You seem to be a person who thinks their way is the only way. Not very flexible, I would say.

• Like 3

Some of you guys think that a public course gives you rights?  Uh...no it doesn't.  A public course gives all members of the public presumed/assumed/prima facie "access" to enter the premises; unless or until your access is rescinded.  Being a member of the public or a resident of the county doesn't mean dick.   The ONLY difference between that and a private course - is that private courses do not presume access.

Both private and public courses have managers who enforce the rules set by higher-ups.  If you violate those rules in the discretion of the manager - you're outta there.

• Like 2

As somebody who is covered in them, I find this sort of thing weird, especially in 2022.  My money is just as good as somebody who has none, but I guess it's their club and their rules so I'd just take my tattoo'd covered self to place that wants my money/business.

Edited by MountainKing
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I have been in countless occasions requiring a collared shirt, tie and a suit or a dinner jacket and I can assure you I rather wear something less rigid. But those occasions have their own code and I respect that as I do not feel I should be the one protesting against everyone else taking part in that occasion.

You seem to be a person who thinks their way is the only way. Not very flexible, I would say.

I'm not "protesting" against anything. If you want to play dress-up I wouldn't dream of complaining, go ahead and have fun.

I just can't imagine why you interpret me deciding not to attend your dress-up event as some sort of "protest". What an odd notion.

1 hour ago, North Butte said:

Does that person complaining about the way you dress own a business you're trying to get into without following the owner's rules?

5 minutes ago, rd1959 said:

Does that person complaining about the way you dress own a business you're trying to get into without following the owner's rules?

I wouldn't dream of entering someone's home or business (or golf club) if they didn't want me there. 

More realistically, there's a dozen golf courses in my area that will not allow me to walk and play there. It's either ride in a cart or don't play. So I don't play.

I certainly don't show up with my push cart and stroll onto the first tee. But neither do I go there and climb in a golf cart. I just go where I'm welcome to play, walking. Same with dress codes, if you want to play dress-up you can do it without me.

Life's too short to try to talk people out of something dumb when their mind is already made up. Sometimes you just have to refuse to engage and go on about your business. 

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, North Butte said:

I'm not "protesting" against anything. If you want to play dress-up I wouldn't dream of complaining, go ahead and have fun.

I just can't imagine why you interpret me deciding not to attend your dress-up event as some sort of "protest". What an odd notion.

With all the stuff going on in the world, not wearing a collared shirt is an odd hill to die on.

"Hey North Butte, I just got asked to play Augusta National and I can bring a partner.  Want to go?"

"Nah man.  They make you tuck in at that joint.  Hard pass"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, david.c.w said:

With all the stuff going on in the world, not wearing a collared shirt is an odd hill to die on.

"Hey North Butte, I just got asked to play Augusta National and I can bring a partner.  Want to go?"

"Nah man.  They make you tuck in at that joint.  Hard pass"

I do wish if you were going to try and pick an argument with me, you'd stick to things I actually said.

I wear shirts with collars every day of my life (unless I don't leave the house for some reason). Don't like the look of tee shirts when I'm out in public. I also never, ever leave the tail of my shirt untucked. I hate the way my fat belly pokes out when I do. 

And I'm not talking about dying on any hill. If someone asked me to go play Augusta National but told me I'd have to dress up in a coat and tie, I would pass. Because if playing there involves dressing up like that, then almost certainly it's going to involve other nonsense beyond simply showing up and sticking a tee in the ground to go play. I'd love to play the course but I'm not really up for any dinner parties or formal events. And after all, it's just a really nice golf course. 

But as for golf course dress codes, I've literally never seen or heard of a (modern day) golf course where the stuff I wear every day wouldn't pass muster. You seem to be mistaking me for someone else in the thread...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

The core of this issue is whether you would go there if you had to follow the dress code. So far you have said 'no'.

Huh? 

What dress code are you talking about. Kimonos? Coats and Ties? No, I would not go anywhere that expected me to wear a Kimono or a coat and tie.

I believe that's the only two "dress codes" which have been mooted in this thread that I would decline to participate in. I don't have any ink, BTW. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Bean said:

I actually enjoy playing "dress-up".  It's fun... and has its benefits.  When I throw on a suit and tie I am more likely to get the attention of intelligent and well-dressed women.  I'm single, so that's a perk.  And when I'm in a suit and tie, or at least a dress shirt and jacket (half the time with levis), I feel good, confident.  Clothes make the man.  It's a statement of a self-assured man.  At home it's tee shirts, flannel shirts and fleece pull-overs.  And even that sometimes in public.  You never know what you're gonna get when you see me away from my house...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I think it’s nice to occasionally go places where it doesn’t look like a cross between Sturgis and Walmart on a Saturday morning. I’d agree that dressing nice can make you feel nice too. I like dressing like a slob as much as the next guy but we don’t have to Idiocracy everything do we?

Edited by PuffyC
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, North Butte said:

If someone asked me to go play Augusta National but told me I'd have to dress up in a coat and tie, I would pass. Because if playing there involves dressing up like that, then almost certainly it's going to involve other nonsense beyond simply showing up and sticking a tee in the ground to go play. I'd love to play the course but I'm not really up for any dinner parties or formal events. And after all, it's just a really nice golf course. 

... Always interesting what people will do or not do because of perceived grievances beyond their control. I would play Augusta in a skirt if it were required. My 30year son summed it up well "Don't spend money on things, spend money on experiences". Augusta would be quite an experience. Although to be fair, I keep myself in shape and imagine I would look pretty good in a skirt. 

• Like 4

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

41 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Always interesting what people will do or not do because of perceived grievances beyond their control. I would play Augusta in a skirt if it were required. My 30year son summed it up well "Don't spend money on things, spend money on experiences". Augusta would be quite an experience. Although to be fair, I keep myself in shape and imagine I would look pretty good in a skirt. 

Year ago I did a bit of traveling to play golf at courses I considered highly desirable. Some of the experiences were extraordinary, some were a little more mundane. It had a lot to do with whether the trip coincided with a period where I could find my own backside with both hand, golf-game-wise. And also even a course you've really looked forward to is nothing special in a steady soaking rain all day (have to say I was more lucky than not weather-wise on my travels). 

It's like the old saying, "Wherever you go, there you are". I think that's what I came to realize about seeking out extraordinary golf experiences. In the end it was just me and maybe a few friends playing our game. While I'm grateful for some of those special opportunities, I no longer have any urge to seek to repeat the few "extraordinary" experiences I've had. My entire focus is on playing as much golf as possible on nice but not necessarily world class courses. 

A few times that travel involved the whole dress up in coat and tie to eat in the clubhouse kind of thing. Honestly, I went along with that because some of the folks I traveled with were really into it. But by my last few trips I was actually setting my itinerary with an eye toward avoiding those occasions but it's not my thing. The only part of the experience that meant anything to me was on the golf course, once the golf was done for the day I was fine grabbing something from the local chippy and heading back to my room for a hot shower and early bed. Not getting dressed up to eat and drink until midnight in the clubhouse's formal dining room.

All of which is a long-winded way of saying I do realize fully what I say I'd opt out of. Being invited to ANGC is a purely theoretical scenario but I feel the same about it as I would any other fancy private golf club. I'd love to play golf, not really interested in getting the "full experience" beyond that. Just not my thing. 

3 hours ago, 2bGood said:

. It is people like this that make dress codes necessary. 

100%

• Like 1

PXG Driver Gen 5 0311 XF

PXG 3 Wood Gen 5 0311
PXG Hybrid Gen 4 0317 XF

PXG Irons Gen 5 0311 XP  4 to PW

Titleist Vokey Wedges SM8 - 46* 52* & 56*
Scotty Cameron Moto - Super Select Squareback 2 

Vice ProPlus