2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

"Better Players:" Long Irons vs Hybrids

mikedejong33

40 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

If you have the right shaft it’s very easy to keep the flight down too. I picked up a 100g Evenflow white extra stiff off eBay for a song and it's amazing in my 818 H1.

I feel the same with hybrids and 7 woods, the right shaft weight, length, profile is a game changer, and the tech in the hybrids and 7W aren’t as significant as modern drivers, after all, the goal is to hit it a set distance, not bomb it for maximum distance 

I love my Adams Super 9031 hybrid, it’s just my 7w is a touch better. 

I used to play my Adams Hybrid at corresponding playing length to my irons, with steel shafts (Modus 105s hs/x1)  I’m sure if I found a 100g graphite shaft (elbow tendinitis) it could reappear in the bag ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Similar handicap and distance. I’ve been in the Sim2 Rescue for two seasons. Love it. It’s more iron like so you can flight it and it has the sleeve so you can adjust it slightly. Play it at 40”, 22.5* loft with a Venus Blue Velo 8S. I have a MP-225 4 Iron I really like too. Tested both out the first couple months of the season with Arccos data and the hybrid won out by a bit. 

The reality for me, is that once I get down to about 25* loft, it is just much more effective to flight a high-launch club down than to try to launch a low-launch club high.  

I believe many issues that folks have with hooking hybrids is that the stock shafts are too long and too light. If you hit your mid-irons reasonably well, smaller (front to back) hybrids with near iron-length and weight shafts are a great transition between irons and fairway woods.  

• Like 4
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I added a Sim2 rescue 3 (19*) and a Sim2 rescue 4 (22^).  Cut an inch off the standard length and reweighted the head to D2.  They are perfect long irons.  And I hit them like long irons taking a small divot.  Money.  I like the rescues cause the heads are small and they allow for a steeper angle of attack.

• Like 3

TaylorMade Sim2 Max 10.5 Driver - Oban Devotion 4 3flex

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 3W 13.5*

TaylorMade Sim2 Titanium 5W 19*

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue Hybrid 3H 19.5*

TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19*, 22*, 25*) - SteelFiber i95 R

Honma Beres irons (2020) 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, AW - Nippon 750GH Wrap Tech R 

Vokey SM8 56* D grind & Vokey SM8 54* bent to 52* D grind

Scotty Cameron California Monterey Putter

I was about your age (50) when I added the 4h to my quiver. I'd had the 20* 3h for a while already.

I'm not quite as good as the OP, lowest index has been mid 6-7.

I wasn't able to elevate a 4 iron consistently anymore. I played Adams Idea pro blacks, then the 2014 Apex pro hybrids in 20 and 23 for quite a while. I liked that they played like iron, flight wise.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I tried to pull my 4 iron out for a hybrid, but I just couldn’t control the thing. I worked with it for a month and decided to put the 4 iron back in. In fact, this little experiment also convinced me to by a driving iron (Miz #2) which I’m loving. 

I was never awful with the 4 iron, but I would hit a dud once every 7 shots or so. Now, I just make sure I practice long irons more to keep them in check which I never did before.

• Like 1

I regret I am probably not a better player, but I know some. The long-end bridge clubs get a lot of discussion.

image.png.b338d8cb1d642aa10cdfd549ad500ed6.pngMy pro and clubfitter has an interesting solution. He has customized a Nike Covert 3i, and refitting it with a boutique 80-gram Rflex shaft, tip trimmed 1.5" and butt-cut to 1i length.

The shots come out low and hot, and the club is easy to hit.

He plays Srixon clubs, and this keeps staying the bag despite annual Srixon model change-outs.

For me, he refitted my prior Tour Edge 4i (parallel tip) with a SteelFiber HLS 780 hybrid shaft. Made an excellent driving iron, plus a good club for approaches into the wind.

Themes from better players:

• Two single-digit players I know carry a 3W, backed up by a 2H and 4H. Both have a 5i as their lowest-numbered iron.
  • Problems with hybrids as "hook machines" generally come from too much offset. Pro and tour heads have a square face and fight left misses better.  Tour Edge bills their CBX hybrids as "left proof."
  •  A GI long iron may be more user-friendly than a player's category model. And, don't be afraid to adjust shafts.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

43, 2 handicap, hit it similar distances to you. I made the switch last year and it's been great for me. Fairway wood at 16.5*, hybrids at 21* and 25*, and then irons start at a 28* 6-iron. Ping hybrids, with the ability to adjust them open and flat, are great for people who have avoided hybrids in the past because they're worried about hooking them.  Also find it's easier to choke up and take a little off the hybrids than it is with long irons, which lets me have slightly bigger gaps at the top end and add another scoring club. Don't imagine I'm ever going back.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST Driver 10.5* (set @ Flat)  Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X

Callaway '21 Apex UW 17* Ventus Blue 7X
Ping G410 Hybrids 22* & 26* (set @ F- to 21* & 25*) Even Flow Black 85 6.5
Titleist '21 T100S 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120S
Titleist Vokey SM10 48.10F, 52.12F, 56.14F, 60.12D, DG Wedge
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 CTR 35"

I've gone back and forth over the years with various 4 irons and my Adams Super 9031 23* hybrid.  They 4 iron that I've had the most confidence in has been the Maltby TS1 with a Recoil 110 stiff shaft.  I've hit some really good shots with that club, but there's something about the 4 hybrid that keeps drawing me back to it. 

I just shimmed a AMT white s300 shaft that went with the shafts in my irons, and just the few shots I hit with it yesterday made me remember what I missed about having the 4 hybrid in the bag.  Funky or tight lies with the hybrid or anything over a hazard didn't bother me with the hybrid.  I knew I was clearing it or making good contact.  That's not always the case with the 4 iron.  I'm a pretty good iron player, but the hybrid is probably going into the bag again.

*My Handicap will fluctuate between a 5-8 if that helps.

Edited by jah7838
Added my handicap
  • Like 2

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Lots has been said about gapping and trajectory.  On the forgiveness front, I don’t know if anyone has mentioned the following:  if you miss heavy or thin, the hybrid will be much more forgiving for you.  If you miss heel-toe, you need to consider what you want out of that shot.  Hybrid will go closer to typical distance but more offline due to gear effect.  Iron will hold its line better but will lose more distance.  This usually favors the long iron unless you are using it for regular forced caries.

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym 9* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S

Callaway Paradym 16.5* w/ Mitsubishi Kai'li White 70S

Titleist 915F 21* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Ping G410 Hybrid 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Black 85S

Srixon z785 5-P w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland RTX4 50*, 54*, 58* w/ DG Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Golo S5

Bridgestone Tour BX

Though I've tested hybrids, and many have improved, never used them.  Playing over thirty years, I still carry 2,3,4 irons, and love smacking each solid; it's very gratifying particularly blades.  ON the golf course, the icing on that cake is playing partners take notice.

Frankly, I do NOT advise people to use long irons or hybrids.  Regardless of skill level, long irons still demand more practice; otherwise the consequences are penal.  Hybrids, don't require nearly as much practice, partly due to their forgiving design.

Good luck with your decision. 🙂

• Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I'm not as low as you, currently playing to a 9.0.  But when I bought my new i525's, I bought G425 4 & 5 hybrids.  I have more versatility with the 5H than I do the 5i.  I can dial it down to 170, or full swing it to 200 yrds.   Plus where I play, a lot of the greens are small-ish and the hybrids land at a steeper angle and hold the greens.   With the right hybrid, you can't go wrong.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

25 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Though I've tested hybrids, and many have improved, never used them.  Playing over thirty years, I still carry 2,3,4 irons, and love smacking each solid; it's very gratifying particularly blades.  ON the golf course, the icing on that cake is playing partners take notice.

Frankly, I do NOT advise people to use long irons or hybrids.  Regardless of skill level, long irons still demand more practice; otherwise the consequences are penal.  Hybrids, don't require nearly as much practice, partly due to their forgiving design.

Good luck with your decision. 🙂

What does smacking 2i-4i mean to you? What distances are you getting out of these if you don’t mind me asking. 

1 minute ago, Mobert19 said:

What does smacking 2i-4i mean to you? What distances are you getting out of these if you don’t mind me asking. 

Why?

Each of my 620 irons has 3 fuzzy yardages; short, carry or standard, and pushed or smacked.  Fuzzy because they are changing.  My 2i = 190-210yd carry depending on joints and conditions, but a good smack is 215+; 3i with 92g shaft, smack is 195+, 4i with 94g shaft is 185+, lofts are Titleist traditional 620. 

FYI: The other day, I was hitting a senior 65g flex in a T100s 25' 5i = 185yds. 

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

Just now, Pepperturbo said:

Why?

Each of my 620 irons has 3 fuzzy yardages; short, carry or standard, and pushed or smacked.  Fuzzy because they are changing.  My 2i = 190-210yd carry depending on joints and conditions, but a good smack is 215+; 3i with 92g shaft, smack is 195+, 4i with 94g shaft is 185+, lofts are Titleist traditional 620. 

FYI: The other day, I was hitting a senior 65g flex in a T100s 25' 5i = 185yds. 

I think you just made the point some of us are trying to make here. For me, it’s eliminating the fuzzy yardages you allude to. I don’t want a club that can go 190-215+. I’m looking for consistency. If I’m 200 yds out I’m pulling 4H. It’s the same number almost every time give or take a few yards. Can’t say that with 4i. It could be 10yds short sometimes which could mean hazard.  Seems you are more about proving you can hit those clubs still. YMMV

• Like 1

I actually changed from a hybrid to a long iron, I am using a Callaway RAZR X Forged 3 iron head on a GD AD DI 105x, my miss with the hybrid was left (which I despise), with the 3i, I am way straighter and accurate, the hybrid was longer at around 260s, the 3i is around 240-250s, I use in short par4s and going in for par5s...I has helped my scores immensely, but I have to agree that hybrids are way more forgiving...

DRIVER: Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5*, Ventus TR Blue 6TX at 45"
3 WOOD: Callaway Paradym HL 16.5*, Diamana Flower Band White, D+ 82X Flex, tipped 1" at 42"
7 WOOD: Callaway Paradym 21*, Tensei AV white 75g S Flex, tipped 1" at 41"

IRONS: Callaway Apex MB 7-10, CB 4-6 -- DG TI S400

WEDGES: Callaway JAWS Raw 50, 54, 58 -- DG TI S400
PUTTER: SC Phantom 5, Stability Shaft, 33.25", Garsen Quad Tour grip (Toulon Chicago as back up)
BALL: Callaway CT X (current gamer), Srixon Diamond, -ProV1X and ProV1

2 minutes ago, Boricua Golf said:

I actually changed from a hybrid to a long iron, I am using a Callaway RAZR X Forged 3 iron head on a GD AD DI 105x, my miss with the hybrid was left (which I despise), with the 3i, I am way straighter and accurate, the hybrid was longer at around 260s, the 3i is around 240-250s, I use in short par4s and going in for par5s...I has helped my scores immensely, but I have to agree that hybrids are way more forgiving...

I'm nowhere near those yardages lol. But if I was I would do the same as you and dump anything that's not straight otherwise your flirting w/ OB every time (at my home course anyway).

7 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

I think you just made the point some of us are trying to make here. For me, it’s eliminating the fuzzy yardages you allude to. I don’t want a club that can go 190-215+. I’m looking for consistency. If I’m 200 yds out I’m pulling 4H. It’s the same number almost every time give or take a few yards. Can’t say that with 4i. It could be 10yds short sometimes which could mean hazard.  Seems you are more about proving you can hit those clubs still. YMMV

You are welcome to your style of play and choices.  LOL I used Fuzzy because I am playing MMT 125s shafts in MBs, and they are now too heavy for me; still carding low-mid 70s scores with them, though, just have to work harder.  I am going to lighter shafts. 

Good golf for me is about judgement.  If coming up short is a concern, that means more club to insure cover.

• TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

7 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You are welcome to your style of play and choices.  LOL I used Fuzzy because I am playing MMT 125s shafts in MBs, and they are now too heavy for me; still carding low-mid 70s scores with them, though, just have to work harder.  I am going to lighter shafts. 

Good golf for me is about judgement.  If coming up short is a concern, that means more club to insure cover.

all good

28 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

I currently carry a 4 hybrid in place of my 4 iron, but I wouldn't say the hybrid gives more consistent yardages.  I can hit a 190 yard fade or a 210 carry draw with the hybrid.  I can't boost my 4 iron that much, intentionally or not.  The benefit of the hybrid for me is higher launch, less roll out, and much more forgiving on heavy or toe strikes.  It is more difficult to keep out of the wind.   

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

Just now, MattC555 said:

I currently carry a 4 hybrid in place of my 4 iron, but I wouldn't say the hybrid gives more consistent yardages.  I can hit a 190 yard fade or a 210 carry draw with the hybrid.  I can't boost my 4 iron that much, intentionally or not.  The benefit of the hybrid for me is higher launch, less roll out, and much more forgiving on heavy or toe strikes.  It is more difficult to keep out of the wind.   

No argument there

On 10/28/2022 at 10:06 PM, dvq9654 said:

Offering a counter point to many of the opinions - I cannot stand hybrids. Have never been able to find one that works for me. I much prefer a well-fit 3 iron and 4 iron, which I not only find easier to hit, but also allow for so much more flexibility. 

That said, the above is about me not you. So if you like a hybrid and have found success with them I would not limit yourself by feeling committed to irons you may not hit as well. 

Yeah, I'm the same. I've played hybrids- loved them one week, couldn't look at them the other. I went the Titleist u510. Keeps the ball in the air, and I can work the ball much easier than with a hybrid. 

55 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:
56 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

No argument there

Again, this depends a lot on what hybrid you play.  Many are intended primarily for easy high launch.  Those are going to be tougher to play in the wind.  I don't struggle flighting the smaller Adams hybrids down.  They launch higher than a similarly lofted iron, but not drastically, especially if shafted with shorter, heavier shafts.  So they are manageable in the wind, and like I said earlier, I get better results flighting a high-launch club down that I do trying to hit a low-launch club high.  I'm sure there are other, newer, hybrids that are similar in terms of launch/spin.     

Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

56 minutes ago, DaveGoodrich said:

Again, this depends a lot on what hybrid you play.  Many are intended primarily for easy high launch.  Those are going to be tougher to play in the wind.  I don't struggle flighting the smaller Adams hybrids down.  They launch higher than a similarly lofted iron, but not drastically, especially if shafted with shorter, heavier shafts.  So they are manageable in the wind, and like I said earlier, I get better results flighting a high-launch club down that I do trying to hit a low-launch club high.  I'm sure there are other, newer, hybrids that are similar in terms of launch/spin.     

My 24 deg hybrid is manageable in the wind.  My 4 iron excels in the wind.  That is the difference I was pointing out.  I rarely bag the 4 iron.  The blade is a joy to hit, but the hybrid is a weapon. 

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

On 10/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, mikedejong33 said:

I am seriously considering dropping another long iron and moving towards more hybrids. Has anyone had success with this, or have any opinions? I am now approaching 50 years old, I still play a lot, and can still get it around a bit. I am about a 3 handicap and I still hit my driver decently long (about 265-270 yards, nothing too massive, but that's decent for me). But I think I am losing club head speed and I struggle with long irons. I used to hit my 4 iron around 200-210 yards, and I currently have a 3 hybrid that I can hit anywhere from 210 to 225 yards fairly consistently. Just because it seems easier, I am considering looking for a somewhat matching 4 hybrid for that 195 to 210 yard distance. My 5 iron is about 185-190 or so and I am relatively consistent from 5 iron down. But 4 iron, I don't hit as well for some reason. Has anyone gone through this? We have 2 par 3's at our course that typically play between 195 and 220 yards, so this distance does come up for me quite a bit. I am thinking about another hybrid, or a long iron crossover or something. Any thoughts or recommendations? This is our off season so of course, I want to look for something new haha. Thanks.

I'm in a very similar situation as yourself.  I used to play around scratch, but work and family took their toll.  I now fluctuate between a 3.5 and 4.5 index most months and only really play about 18 times per year.  My speed has dropped off and I hit the ball roughly the same distances you do.

I'm still a good ball striker and wedge player, but felt like a little trajectory help in the long irons would be a benefit.  I went to Srixon U85's in the 4 and 5 iron with the stock Recoil shafts and they've been awesome.  I still play MP20 blades 6-P.

The other radical change I made was to drop my three wood in favor of a second driver.  It is a 13.5 Big Bertha head with a 43" 85 gram shaft.  It goes about 250 with a draw and sky high.  My normal driver is 44" and goes 275 with a fade.  I really didn't have too much of a three wood issue; I just realized on my home course, I rarely hit it into a green, but used it off the tee 3 times per round.

It's not that much worse of the ground than my 3 wood, so even when I travel, the short driver is my default.

Try the U85's.  They are a good blend; high trajectory, but play like irons.

Been thinking about replacing my 4i with something else 

currently have in the bag a 4w, 21* UDI (graphite) and then 4-P (players cavity back, steel) 

The UDI can cover my low trajectory requirements so this would be primarily for par 3s + par 5 approaches where I’m looking to hold a green with some level of precision

Any recommendations on a neutral hybrid or a SGI shovel that will really prioritize getting the ball up and stopping from 200+? Where would you go shaft wise if I’d like it to be at a 4i length?

On 10/29/2022 at 3:22 PM, mikedejong33 said:

More good comments. Consistency is definitely an issue for me. I draw everything and I don’t hit it particularly high. So with longer clubs I can start to hit low, smother hooks. I don’t get the ball up in the air very high. For sure a swing issue that I just haven’t gotten around to tackling. And I can still score pretty well, but it’s something I have to look at as well in the future. Changing clubs around is probably more of a bandaid fix.

Wrong thread, but one thing you could try is adjusting your spine tilt. At address simply tilt to the trailing side. If you are right handed it feels like your right shoulder gets closer to the ground while your left shoulder gets taller. It feels weird to swing that way at first. But if you do it right you will hit every club in the bag higher.