What degree Hybrid really replaces each iron?

mmarler

needing a 3 iron replacement
When searching for a hybrid to replace a long iron such as a 3 iron what degree do you get? Does the 3I hybrid (19*) with graphite shafts fly alot further than the 3 iron that it replaces? I really don't want a huge distance gap between my steal shafted 4 iron and my 3 iron replacement.

Please post comments on what you found that did and did not work when you were trying to replace a stock steal shafted 3 iron for your set.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Cobra LTD X LS 9.0 Fuji Atmos Black 6S

Cobra King LTD 14.5 Rogue Black 70S

Callaway Big Bertha II 5 wood RCH Firm

Taylormade 3 iron UDI Kuro Kage Black

Mizuno 921HM 5-GW 950GH Neo

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Mizuno 900HM Lw KBS C Taper Lite S

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Two

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found a Ping G2 HL 3 iron would this club be better than a 3I hybrid to replace the missing 3 iron with?

Mizuno 923HM SW 

I would think you'd replace the iron with the same loft hybrid. That's what I did anyway.

When I go with the three-wedge setup, I had to drop my 5W and 3I so I got an 18° which is kind-of in between the 5W and 3I. But I found the 18° hybrid to be too similar to my 3W (19°) so I was wasting a slot in my bag.

I dropped the 18° hybrid and my 60° wedge, and just recently added 2 Sonartec HB-001's (19° and 21°) which is like a 2 iron and 3 iron.

I use a Ping G10 21D hybrid as a replacement for a 3I

Now a 21 degree is a 4I hybrid right? You found that you hit the 4I 21* hybrid the yardage that you would hit your standard 3 iron? This is kinda what I was thinking of doing myself.

Mizuno 923HM SW 

Standard #'s for Mizuno MP-60's (which are pretty classic loft #'s for lots of different clubs)

Club LH Loft ° Lie ° Offset " Length " Bounce °

2 n/a 18 59.0 0.154 39.25 2

3 Yes 21 59.5 0.142 38.75 2

4 Yes 24 60.0 0.134 38.25 2

5 Yes 27 60.5 0.134 37.75 2

6 Yes 31 61.0 0.130 37.25 3

7 Yes 35 61.5 0.126 36.75 3

8 Yes 39 62.0 0.126 36.25 4

9 Yes 43 62.5 0.114 35.75 5

PW Yes 47 63.0 0.114 35.50 6

I think a 21° is a 3i

Yeah guess so, the 21* would also be a 3I hybrid loft also.

Mizuno 923HM SW 

You are correct that a 3 hybrid (19*) does seem to go further. Whether it's the shaft, loft, or the fact I hit my hybrid pure and can hardly hit a 3 iron, I hit my 19* hybrid around 210 and my 3I more like 200 (off a tee) or less (off the deck). I do play a 21* hybrid that is probably comparable to those yardages, so maybe 21* will work for you. You could also look to bend a 19* to make it 20* (I've heard of this, but never seen it).

Some other thoughts...

Maybe look to get a 3W that is lower in loft to balance your spacing. Perhaps 15*?

Really, from 200+ out, aren't we all just hoping to hit it on the green? We would all do well to have a big gap between the 3 hybrid and 4I and just hit hybrid more often. What are the odds we are going to pure it and fly the green? Probably not very often. IMHO.

I stayed with steel in my hybrids. I like the weight. Just an idea.

Good luck in finding a fit!

When searching for a hybrid to replace a long iron such as a 3 iron what degree do you get? Does the 3I hybrid (19*) with graphite shafts fly alot further than the 3 iron that it replaces

IMO, a 21* replaces a 3-iron. 24, 4i; 27 5i.

I have an 18* that supposedly replaced my 3I, and I hit it about 20 yards farther. It took a while, but I've learned to hit it choked down.

Many Factory 20* or 21* hybrids that euqal the loft of a standard 3 iron have a shaft that is an inch or longer shaft. Being 40"+. That always had me hitting them too long, and often too low to effectively control them going into a green. I use an adams idea pro 4 hybrid, with a rifle 6.0 when I dont take my 5 wood, which is not often. The hybrid is 39.5 and I carry it 210-215 when struck solid. Often I naturally fade it high at 205 and find that those distances from the fairway, with my 4 iron carrying 195 (but lower trajectory) that I am covered.

I have messed with this alot and part of the question is will you shaft with steel or graphite and are you going to leave it the stock hybrid length, some are longer than others. If you are going steel and make it 1/2" longer than your 4I you can go with the loft of your 3I, but if your going graphite and 1.0" to 1.5" longer than you can go 1* to 2* weaker than your 3i and still have good distance gaps. Also if you go the graphite route the way I said the ball will land softer and not roll as much which will be better for attacking greens. Hope this helps,I love my hybrids they give me a lot of confidence and my 5h lands way softer than my 5I. Good luck Todd

Wow

The first thing that comes to mind is how high you hit it. When my Hybrid does not work its usually because I hit it to high.

I have Taylor made rescue it a couple of years old. It is 19 degrees and I put the shaft from a 22 degree rescue in it.

I hit it about 190 which would be a three iron for me but I fight constantly ballooning it. Its getting better.

I think a high kick shaft would help but not sure which one to get

Ken

It's been my experience that a hybrid that is the same loft as the iron it replaces just flat goes farther especially when shafted with graphite. My 3iron is 21* and I was killing my 21* hybrid alot farther than I can hit the 3-iron. I'm thinking of trying a ...dare I say it ...7-wood :drinks: . Either that or slap a sawed off, extra stiff steel shaft in the hybrid :beach:

Purchased this G2 HL 3 iron tonight to go with my Ping S59's. Maybe I can get good results with this 3 iron before I go to the hybrid route. I only paid 29.00 for the club and its in mint condition.

Mizuno 923HM SW 

The G2 3 iron is a nice club and for what you have in it, you really have nothing to lose by trying it. If you decide to try a hybrid, try a slightly higher loft than than the iron you are replacing. If you have a graphite shaft, 2-3 degrees higher loft is going to be pretty darn close to your iron. Also, if you are wanting to replace the distance of your 3 iron as accurately as possible, check the shaft length. A lot of companies put a longer shaft in their hybrids than the standard length for the iron they are supposedly replacing. (can you say "these things just bomb it"?)

I play my Titleist 755 3-iron that has a Project-X shaft at 39", and 22 degrees of loft when the West Texas wind gets over 20-25mph or so. Then on the normal wind days I play my 23 degree Nickent 3DX with a Fujikura Bonzai shaft at 38.5". I spent quite a bit of time on the launch monitor matching my distances. The 3-iron is much better hitting under the wind and the hybrid is a lot better at higher launch and soft landings. The real advantage of the hybrid for me is the ability to land the ball softly with less roll. Plus, the hybrid is like cheating out of the rough. It just glides through and the ball flies straight. Pretty amazing.

Matching the loft of the hybrid with that of the planned iron loft that's being replaced seems problematic; the typical hybrid has graphite shaft and it's longer then the comparable iron providing extra distance and dispersion. I would think, assuming your ball striking is good, you'd go down one club for each; correct me if I am wrong.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Hzrdus Smoke Red 75 5.5
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

MMarler:

Your ping S59 three iron was made with 21 degrees of loft. ( many manufacturers make a 20 degree three iron; the new macgregor MT's come with a 19 degree three iron).

Therefore you are trying to figure out the best way to fill the gap between your 18 degree fairway wood and your ping 4 iron (which has 23.75 degrees of loft, according to the Ping website).

as other posts have said, a 21 degree hybrid with a graphite shaft will fly further that a 21 degree three iron with a steel shaft , most of the time.

Therefore, If your goal is to match the current distance of your ping 3 iron (if you can hit it consistently, you must be a pretty good golfer) , you can experiment with "weaker" lofted hybrids which have 22 or 23 or even 24 degrees of loft.

I would be very interesting to hit the ping G10 24 degree hybrid along side your ping 4 iron to see what the distance gap is between those two clubs.

You will probably hit the 24 degree hybrid at least as far as your 21 degree three iron. Most people will also hit the hybrid more consistently than the three iron.

I use a Ping G10 21D hybrid as a replacement for a 3I

Now a 21 degree is a 4I hybrid right? You found that you hit the 4I 21* hybrid the yardage that you would hit your standard 3 iron? This is kinda what I was thinking of doing myself.

I had the opportunity when being fitted to try the hybrids but didn't. Try your local retail sim and hit some along with your 3 iron. Then find one that matches. Everyone swings different, some higher flight, some lower so advice here will get you close but not exact for you.

By using a sim you can find that replacement that closely matches. I bought a 3 & 4 hogan cft in graphite and although I hit them well, the gap between my 5 iron and 4 hybrid is 25 yards, too much. Don't make my mistake. Experiment with graphite and steel, whatever you like.

i have an 20 which replaces my 3i and a 22 which replaces my 4i and at times even a 25 that replaces my 5i. love hynrids so much, they make life much easier

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

I have a 19° Hybrid.This replaces my 3 iron (20°),and my 5 wood (18°).

I also have a 22° Hybrid. This replaces my 4 iron (23°) and my 7 wood (21°).

As far as distance control is concerned I manage to do this ( more or less!) by just choking down on the grip where I need lesser distance and/or lower ball flight.

For info. I play all my clubs,including irons in Graphite.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

I'm currently playing S59's and I'm dropping the 3-iron and going with a 23* with steel to replace it. I'm going with a 20* for a gap filler between it and my 3 wood. I've had the 20* before and it plays much more like a 5-wood/2-iron to me.

I guess alot depends on the hybrid itself too. I'm going with the old Nickents cuz they're cheap and I'm most familiar with those distances :drinks:

• 4 years later...

I have never hita hybrid im only 28 but had a 10 year layoff of the game!

I used to be a solid player (+3) with really strong ball striking so i used to carry a 2 iron as gospel and still do. Depending on what courses i was playing i would carry a 1 iron (tom watson grind blades) ! I used to take great pride in hitting my long irons very strong and being able to stop them on the greens no problems. However on my return to golf my ballstriking isnt quite as consistent as it used to be and the pros seem to have hybrids these days so its time to let the EGO go and maybe try a hybid.

I have titleist everything now really (all new stuff just purchased) (really easy to hit compared to my old equipment especially the new drivers dont think you can mishit those huge heads but thereis no massive increase in distance i hit my old 975d and and great big bertha just as far)

712 ap2's
d3 8.5
910f 15%
Trusty rusty wedges

Any recomendations about what hybrids suite your stronger ball striker ?

ims till in shock im converting to hybrids my old man would disown me !!!!!!

I'm not sure this question can even be answered. One hybrid with a shorter steel shaft would require a very different loft than another hybrid with a long, lightweight graphite shaft. A hybrid with a wood-like head would be different from a hybrid with an iron-like head.

In my experience, Mizuno hybrids play pretty much like the iron they replace. TaylorMade hybrids play significantly longer, sometimes more than one club longer... so a TM 4h would be more like a 2.5 or 3 iron.

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1203132568' post='918954']
Matching the loft of the hybrid with that of the planned iron loft that's being replaced seems problematic; the typical hybrid has graphite shaft and it's longer then the comparable iron providing extra distance and dispersion. I would think, assuming your ball striking is good, you'd go down one club for each; correct me if I am wrong.
[/quote]

i would make you spot on, originally i bought the 910F with 21 degree to replace the 3 iron because when i bought my AP2's they only came 4 through to PW however the hybrid is going 2 iron distance which is fine by me, if i need a 3 iron distance i just grip down the shaft 1 inch

• 1 month later...

[sup][size=3]You can try and figure out the gaps by using the math and all of the info given here. But IMO the best way to figure it out is to use a launch monitor or hit them at a driving range. They all have different lofts and the shafts will all do different things. You can spend a lot of time trying to figure it out on your own or you can get fitted for a club that will work for you. I know that a lot of people hear the word "fitted" and then they start thinking $$$$$. However if you weigh in the amount of time you spend looking on your own and the money you spend testing clubs out on a range, I think that you will find that you might actually save money and most important find confidence in the fact that when you pull that club out to use it, there should be no doubt in your mind that it will perform the way it is supposed to for your swing type.[/size][/sup]

It depends on how the lofts on your set of irons are set as well. My Cobra amps are lofted pretty strong with the 4 iron being 22*. I have 4-Gw on the irons & got an AMP 3 hybrid that is 19*. The optional 3 iron you can buy is also 19* & the 4 hybrid also has corresponding loft to the 4 iron. I don't think the hybrids offer much distance wise compared to the corresponding iron just offer some confidence & help getting the ball up making them simply easier to hit.