2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Looking to settle down, need a forever iron.

GolfisLife1

Less offset and pack a punch

I would say you are probably looking for the T100 family but probably take a look at the T100S and bent them 1*-2* weak. It will give you less offset and the slot will give you a bit more punch in the 3-7.

Just double check that the added bounce you will get still works well with the turf. 

On 10/30/2022 at 7:03 AM, GolfisLife1 said:

help me!

So I read this entire thread and there are a ton of can't miss suggestions.  Some advice from an old man........

I started playing this stupid game 55+ years ago and was hooked instantly.  In that time, I've bought and sold more iron sets than you can fathom.  The only ones I never sold or traded were my Eye 2's.  They are easy to hit, feel great, and are repeatable.  The only thing is that they are ugly as a bowling shoe.

If I were in your shoes, 2019 T100 are probably the best forged option that check your boxes.  i200 or i210 also check most and will indeed last forever (unlike most forgings).

Good luck.  Life is too short to not have fun.  Enjoy those days in the sun and remember that none of us are ever turning pro.

• Like 4

... Time for my obligatory Cobra iron endorsement, as they seem to be passed over here at WRX. I was playing T100s and I was very happy with them. I made the mistake of reviewing a set of MIM Tours and fell in love with everything about them. At address they have the best hosel grind in the game. Just perfectly seamless. So I switched from T100s and never looked back. Put some 22 Forged Tec's into play for a month but right back to the MIM's. I have never played a better iron. 

• Like 2

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

My forever set would be PXG. But maybe Mizuno as well. Forever set? I believe as as grow older I will need to change to a senior flex. 

Edited by NoTalentLefty

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

17 hours ago, chisag said:

... Time for my obligatory Cobra iron endorsement, as they seem to be passed over here at WRX. I was playing T100s and I was very happy with them. I made the mistake of reviewing a set of MIM Tours and fell in love with everything about them. At address they have the best hosel grind in the game. Just perfectly seamless. So I switched from T100s and never looked back. Put some 22 Forged Tec's into play for a month but right back to the MIM's. I have never played a better iron. 

I'm excited for the new Cobra CB, MB & Tours... They look lovely!

• Like 2

2024:

Dr: Mizuno ST-Z 220 w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K White 60 S and MCC+4 Midsize

F: Taylormade Stealth 2 w/ Oban Devotion HB 65.05 and MCC+4 Midsize

U: Titleist U505 2i 18° w/ Hazardus Black 6.0 and MCC+4 Midsize 

I: Titleist T100s w/ Project X LZ 6.0 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize (4-P)  

SW: Vokey SM9 54D 12° w/ Dynamic Gold S300 (+0.50") and MCC+4 Midsize    

P: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven (35")

B: Srixon Q-Star Tour Divide or whatever is cheap

Not sure about a forever set but at least a 5yr set. Played the mizuno 825pro irons from their launch for 8years. Haven’t settled down yet over the last couple years. Now with the 223 gonna test out the 923F and the i230. I want to like the i230 they look great have to see how they feel with the right fit shaft

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 1:52 PM, ARL67 said:

OP you can lie to yourself, but don't lie to the WRX community !

Face it, you're Ho'ing is a habit that can't be kicked. 🤣

I'd think the Mizuno 223 would be exactly what you are looking for, but with your favourite shaft.  You get the feel, the "players" size, not too strong lofted, and it has a set GW if that is important to you ( it is for me ).

For me, my longtime shaft of choice is the Steelfiber i95cw Regular.  I've built many sets around that and have no reason to consider a switch.  I'm going with Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW to finish of this season and to be my 2023 gamers.  Though they are more Mizuno 225 sized. Check out the reviews on them -> good distance with still good spin, great feel, great looks, and they are priced well.

Im looking closely at the D9 Forged also. They tick an awful lot of boxes for me (coming from ZX5). However, the one thing im struggling with (visually) is the tear-drop shaped sole. Where the sole seems to get wider as it moves towards the toe. Something just doesn't look right about it. The speed slots, i dont like either - but i could get over them. 

Sole.jpg

On 12/1/2022 at 5:05 AM, chisag said:

Hey Chisag. Where would you put those MIM's in the forgiveness stakes? I like how they look but have wondered how forgiving they are. They are now on fairly generous discount. Thanks. 

And that Steelfiber i95r. I see so many guys have these in the bag now. Must be great shafts. 

Edited by bigdawg
Added a line

On 10/30/2022 at 10:46 AM, SwooshLT said:

T100 hits all of your points .....I'm lefty and have far more irons than you could imagine but truly the T100 does everything......I did hit the new i230 and it didn't feel as well as the instant cult classic i210s.....JMHO

Honestly I feel this way too. It really could come down to shaft, as I hit a used set of 210's with modus 120x which are a great fit for me, and a project x LX 6.0 demo shaft which I'm not sure I get along with, but in my test run, I consistently hit the 210's better than anything.  I was seriously debating pulling the trigger on the used set for 450, but didn't end up doing it....

But completely agree on those two irons.  It really depends on what your miss is.  Both are very good on heel/toe misses. If you tend to miss higher on the face, the 210/30 is for you, if you tend to hit it thin, the t100 is for you. Or at least theoretically that's what should happen based on the MOI/COG numbers.

Edited by Duffman57
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PoeBarrett said:

Once you realize that newer isn’t better than you’ll find something. I play Miuras from 2015 and have no intention of moving on until they combust

2013 here. CB-57s. I've cheated on them several times. They keep taking me back! I think we are until death do us part now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bigdawg said:

Hey Chisag. Where would you put those MIM's in the forgiveness stakes? I like how they look but have wondered how forgiving they are. They are now on fairly generous discount. Thanks. 

And that Steelfiber i95r. I see so many guys have these in the bag now. Must be great shafts. 

... For a Players Iron I find the MIM's quite forgiving. A little on the toe or heel suffers very little. The one area where they don't provide much help is really low on the face, but that is true for most all MB's and PI's.

... I have played graphite in my irons for a good 20 years now and the Steelfibers are the best I have played. Once you dial in the right flex, they are amazingly accurate. Not only guys but the best ball strikers on the LPGA tour including N Korda, L Ko and JY Ko that hit 63 consecutive greens in regulation all play Steelfibers.  

• Like 2

If you stay on Golfwrx, there's no such thing as settling down or for-ever clubs.  Just the clubs you get excited about and enjoy until something new tweaks your fancy.  The only people I know that have forever clubs, are people that pay NO attention to club specs and stay off Golfwrx. 🙂  A buddy played in college, he still uses those irons and never heard of Golfwrx.

Since I took up the game over 30yrs back, I've had eight sets of irons in the bag plus two sets in storage; that to me is forever till the next time. 😛

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... For a Players Iron I find the MIM's quite forgiving. A little on the toe or heel suffers very little. The one area where they don't provide much help is really low on the face, but that is true for most all MB's and PI's.

... I have played graphite in my irons for a good 20 years now and the Steelfibers are the best I have played. Once you dial in the right flex, they are amazingly accurate. Not only guys but the best ball strikers on the LPGA tour including N Korda, L Ko and JY Ko that hit 63 consecutive greens in regulation all play Steelfibers.  

You ever try the catalyst from project x/true temper.......seems as though they play very similar to steelfiber without the heritage established 

5 hours ago, bigdawg said:

Im looking closely at the D9 Forged also. They tick an awful lot of boxes for me (coming from ZX5). However, the one thing im struggling with (visually) is the tear-drop shaped sole. Where the sole seems to get wider as it moves towards the toe. Something just doesn't look right about it. The speed slots, i dont like either - but i could get over them. 

Sole.jpg

But, can you see either from address?  That is all that really matters to me.

6 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

You ever try the catalyst from project x/true temper.......seems as though they play very similar to steelfiber without the heritage established 

... I have played NV Tour, NV Pro, VS Proto, Recoil, Recoil Prototype, KBS Tour Graphite and Steelfiber but never played Catalyst.

• Thanks 1

You would love the Titleist CNCPTS…

Titleist TSR2 10* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 16.5* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 18* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist TSR2 Hybrid 21* HZRDUS Red 6.0
Titleist CNCPT CP-04 5-7 CP-03 8-48 Aerotech Steelfiber i80cw
Titleist Vokey SM9 54* 10 S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Pathfinder Mainstay Bag

"help me!

what would you guys say is the best players style iron out these days?  Small. Compact. Thin. Narrow. Little offset but packs a punch and isn’t just strictly a blade.  I don’t want something crazy lofted like the 225.  But wouldn’t mind something that assists in making the game a little easier. 

really intrigued with the new i230 coming out.  But of course I am.  It’s a new iron haha. 

I have literally played, bought and sold probably 20 iron sets over the last 5 years.  Definition of a club hoe here.  Everytime I see a new iron I get that warm and tingly feeling down below.   But seriously. T100. P770. MC501. 223, 225, i59, etc.  

I will say. Most of these I played in different shafts. And most of these were probably always different swing weights too.  So needless to say. Some I loved. Some I didn’t.  But recently I’ve found a shaft that I really like.  And I’d say probably some of what I didn’t like about some of them was probably just the shaft and swing weight. 

that all said. I’m ready to settle down"

Not so sure you're really ready to settle down.

I Dont Think So No Way GIF

Edited by JAMH03
clarity

On 10/30/2022 at 4:04 PM, EaglesGolf99 said:

Miura....

CB-57.....

PERIOD!

.....You will thank me later! 

They really are that good.

However, the PING S55 checks all of the OP's boxes, and are built to last a lifetime.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

This is like a pothead asking other potheads on r/trees what’s the best strain for his last smoke. 

whatever maaaaaan

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

So I too have probably went through 40+ sets of irons over the last 30 years. Usually PING (almost every model, except for S series), dabbled with Srixon, swore off Titleist after a few tries, and many forays into Mizuno and Callaway, but for some reason never Taylormade until the P790 (oh and I tried the PXG 311P, which I could easily play again). For me, the PING G400 has stuck around with Aerotech i95 R's, but don't love the look 100%, but neither do I love the ultra compact thin sole/top line look (10 index, need forgiveness), except for my beloved MP-14's which I will never sell, even though I cannot play them weekly anymore, but they come out a few times a year. Sooooo, what is my personal forever iron, and one that I will never sell, like my Mizuno MP-14's? For me it's the P790's, ANDDDD, the PING i25's. Played the i210's, i20's, iE1's, and for me, the 25's are the best mix of forgiveness, distance, trajectory and consistency (basically go straight). Some will be critical of the i25's for having too much offset and wide of a sole/top-line, and overall size, but for me, I absolutely love the look, feel, and playability of the i25's, and the only reason why I play (50/50) almost as much with the P790's, is that their distance is so seducing. So there you go, for me it's 4 sets I will not sell from blade to super game improvement. MP-14's, P790, i25, G400.

Shafts wise, Nippon 950GH R, Modus 105R, Aerotech SF i95R, Project X LZ 5.5 (especially in wedges!!!).

And if the answer had to be one club, i25, 2, i25 and P790.

Edited by mikec3672
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:51 PM, Pepperturbo said:

If you stay on Golfwrx, there's no such thing as settling down or for-ever clubs.  Just the clubs you get excited about and enjoy until something new tweaks your fancy.  The only people I know that have forever clubs, are people that pay NO attention to club specs and stay off Golfwrx. 🙂  A buddy played in college, he still uses those irons and never heard of Golfwrx.

Since I took up the game over 30yrs back, I've had eight sets of irons in the bag plus two sets in storage; that to me is forever till the next time. 😛

Man, looks like I’ll be a club ho all my life….

This post made me come to terms and accept. 

• Haha 2

Paradym 3D 10.5 - Ventus Blue TR 6x

Paradym 3D 15 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

Paradym 3D 18 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

TCB Gen 1 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+

SM9 50F, 54S, 58V  - KBS C-Taper S+

Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini CH

Golf Pride MCC Blue

2022 Bridgestone Tour B X