Hiring a College recruiter

tiger1873

I know this topic has come up before but I am wondering if it worth hiring a college scout/recruiter.

First off I know you don't need them at all and there is nothing they can do for you that you can't so my initial thought is it is a waste of money.  Having said that I wonder if they do help with marketing and just sifting through the coaches. 

Between playing tournaments and focusing on life I am starting to think maybe hiring someone might be worth it.  If they are what do you look for?

49 minutes ago, tiger1873 said:

I know this topic has come up before but I am wondering if it worth hiring a college scout/recruiter.

First off I know you don't need them at all and there is nothing they can do for you that you can't so my initial thought is it is a waste of money.  Having said that I wonder if they do help with marketing and just sifting through the coaches. 

Between playing tournaments and focusing on life I am starting to think maybe hiring someone might be worth it.  If they are what do you look for?

My first thought is no way you could do it yourself.  That being said some just like having others handle it.

If I was hiring someone for my daughter I could probably look up brandi jackson first.  I know of 4 girls here that used her services and play at varies D1 programs.

I believe they used her as a vetting tool more than someone that could get them to that level.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

My first thought is no way you could do it yourself.  That being said some just like having others handle it.

If I was hiring someone for my daughter I could probably look up brandi jackson first.  I know of 4 girls here that used her services and play at varies D1 programs.

I believe they used her as a vetting tool more than someone that could get them to that level.

I have to agree I don't think any these scouts will get a kid in a place you don't belong.  I been approached by a few of these scouts.  obviously the first things that came to mind is what are they selling.  Do they actually take on everyone willing to write a check out.

However after giving it more thought I am starting to think maybe they serve a purpose.  My primary concern is if my daughter is recruited she will get a decent education and have the freedom to choose what she wants to pursue. I made that pretty clear to her that her goal should be education over golf.  

So I am thinking maybe a scout can help guide the process as well.  Some schools are obviously not a fit education wise no matter how good the golf team is. .

5 hours ago, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

You are correct.

The conversation I had with one of them he told me they were basically a vetting service.  They had their list of coaches that trust them and they guide them into the correct spot based on rankings and interactions.  Believe it ran around $2500.00 a year for the service.

I don't know, something that makes me feel good that my kid did it himself rather than using a service.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jkhogbear said:

It might depend on how big a net you want to cast.  Mine had 3-5 schools they were interested in so we felt we could do that ourselves but if yours has an open mind to go anywhere in the country then I could see where you could use help as that can feel overwhelming. 

I totally understand.

Yes, my son and I did the same thing with casting the net far and wide.  I believe at one time we had 50-60 school listed and targeted.

I would be concerned if a service is fighting hard for my kid. Would I just end up doing it myself.  We did a free consult with a online service most of you know.  I think the guy was a baseball coach.  It was a complete waste of time.

• Like 1

A letter to the Athletic Director of the College of choice requesting an opportunity to try out for the Golf team is all I did.  He called me, and after a 15-20 min question/answer, set up a time to meet with the coach,  and team tryouts/ qualifiers followed soon after.  This was in 1988, so times may have changed.  A great 4 yr experience.

11 hours ago, chrissdc said:

Although I didn’t officially use his service, Brendan Ryan (Golf Placement Services) is someone I would recommend. I was able to work something out with him that was not his normal structure.

He continues to be helpful with my kid 4 years later.

Brendan is great. He has a ton of articles here on WRX regarding college golf. I'd recommend everyone read them.  Brendan Ryan – GolfWRX

If I'm picking a recruiting service, I'd probably go with former USC coach, Ted Gleason. His services include everything from Player Development to Life Skills needed to succeed. Plus he has been through it from playing at UCLA to coaching at cross town rival USC.

• Like 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

6 hours ago, leezer99 said:

Brendan is great. He has a ton of articles here on WRX regarding college golf. I'd recommend everyone read them.  Brendan Ryan – GolfWRX

If I'm picking a recruiting service, I'd probably go with former USC coach, Ted Gleason. His services include everything from Player Development to Life Skills needed to succeed. Plus he has been through it from playing at UCLA to coaching at cross town rival USC.

If I were to go this route, I would chose someone like Ted as well.   That said, there is something valuable about going through the process by yourself.  There may be some mistakes made or missed opportunities along the way, but so be it.  I've heard of friends who used scouting services and they have each said it was not worth the time/money.  I've always thought that if my kid has the game, he will end up at the best golf school possible.   My son is smart, but I know that golf will present the best opportunity for him to go to a good school.  Around these parts, the scholastic side is just way too competitive.  I mean if kids with 4.8 GPA's and near perfect SAT scores are having a hard time then we are in deep trouble. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leezer99 said:

This quote from his article made me laugh:

Should I get help? 

Knowledge begins when one learns doubt. In the world of college advising, I have considerable doubt. In my opinion, every “college golf expert” is a fraud—they hide behind a dogma of “I know X coach” or “X coach says.” However, they are not experts—they are charlatans. They use disinformation, particularly poorly correlated or small population “data,” to scare parents into a web of deceit. Their tools are resumes, randomness, and bulk emails to create the guise of “options.” “Options,” which more likely validate their fees than lead a student to a place where they will be happy and successful. 

On 11/2/2022 at 10:26 AM, tiger1873 said:

I have to agree I don't think any these scouts will get a kid in a place you don't belong. 

I think this sums it up fairly well. One of these "recruiters" or whatever you want to call them might open you up to more options within the kid's skill range (instead of 5 DII schools interested you might get 10 DII schools interested), but they aren't going to help a DIII level talent get on a DI team or a low-level D1 talent get on a Top-10 program.

As others said I don't believe they offer anything you can't do yourself if you're willing to put in the time...

• Like 2

I think today with social media that can do a lot of the recruiting help as long as you post, update, basically a student athlete diary to show coaches what kind of student athlete they could get. Obviously there are NCAA rules and they are changing so look into those first. But every college team has an Instagram page for a specific sport, every college coach has an Instagram page all of these follow athletes. 

As for the services it really depends on the recruiter I kinda had one way back as a "trail" and basically got a bunch of calls and emails from a lot of smaller schools. I'm sure everyone else on the trail got the same calls and more money spent meant better schools contacted you if you have what they are looking for. 

Lefty

Driver: 8° Cobra LTDxLS | Mitsubishi C6 Onyx 60X

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST | Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i-PW Srixon 785 | AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 52° MD3 | 56° Glide 2.0 Stealth | 60° Glide 

Putter(s): TP Mills Trad II | Cody James Patriot | Lajosi Sensor | KB-9306 | and more. 

WITB Thread

15 hours ago, DArnie said:

Went through this a couple years ago with my oldest son. Signed him up for a website where you put your credentials-playing and scholastically-on their site and supposedly coaches interested in him would contact him with offers or visits. He could also choose schools to contact that he was interested. in. I paid $900 for this service.

He was contacted by many schools-almost all private and out of state- with some offering scholarships without even meeting him. Of course, the private schools tuition was sky high and the offers were usually half of the tuition with academics figured in also. Would use up his 529 I have been saving for him since birth in two years. So no.

He settled on a small state school that was a couple of hours from home and a $1000 scholarship per semester. He played two years of college golf traveling to several states and they even competed in the nationals. Was it worth the $900 to me? You bet. He will always remember those times and can say he was a college golfer which he was. 

He transferred this year to UGA to pursue an Engineering degree and left his clubs at home, awful proud parent.

If I were to imagine my kid's college career that is almost exactly how I would hope it goes. Spend a couple of years travelling and playing golf with your friends/team mates and then switch to pursue your ultimate degree.

Heck it mirrors my college career. I went on a soccer scholarship, played a year, went lots of places and had a blast. Then switched schools to get my engineering degree and no more competitive sports. Most of my favorite college memories are from that year of soccer. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Tannerbug33 said:

if you went this route what year would you start using them.

My daughter is 15 and I recently did a free 30 minute session with a recruiter. She basically told me that my daughter was well on the path to play D1 if she continued to progress. She looked at my daughter's resume and was happy with what she saw. We discussed how often to email/message the coaches and what to say when we did. We talked a little about tournament scheduling but that will vary based on everyone's situation. She told us that at this point we didn't need her and to touch base with her back down the road. This particular recruiter focused on girls only and she usually deals with the girls who are late to the process. So being that my daughter was in 9th grade and had already started emailing coaches, she said we were good. We did discuss college camps and she said that for my daughter, the summer camps really wouldn't do much for her. She felt like the showcase style camps where you get a bunch of coaches in one place was a better way to go. I liked the fact that she was honest and straight forward with us. She didnt try and sell us on something that we didn't need.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Tannerbug33 said:

My opinion it is a last resort.  If you are a Junior and coaches aren't responding to your calls and emails, it is probably time to use someone.  Before that I think it is just wasting money because it is pretty simple to do it yourself.

• Like 3

This isn't golf focused, but gives knowledge on the recruiting process.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-recruit-me-athletic-scholarship-podcast-with/id1052817640

You can filter through the episodes and find the information you might be looking for.  I used this one and a couple of others to form my knowledge.

IMHO I would look at it like job hunting.  Do workers really use services to find jobs anymore?

16 hours ago, Tannerbug33 said:

Before anyone hires a recruiter/scout I would say you need to ask what is your marketing budget.  If money is tight then you really need to step back and understand there is nothing they can do that you can't and look at how to save money. But basically in high school it make sense to start thinking about them.

A few good things you will get with a recruiter. First they can contact and give feedback as a 3rd party.  Hiring someone focused on that aspect is a good thing. Some swing coaches do this but let's be honest most don't.

They will help you with marketing and give your kid a more professional presentation.  The also help you contacting and sending out to a lot schools. 

They also help with coaching and with interview skills.

So you have to ask yourself is that worth a few grand.  I honestly think it is worth the money if you have it.  I am going to go this route because quite honestly it saves time and should result in more options. 

I totally understand why people would not spend the money but in the grand scheme of things it seems like to do things right you still would have to throw a few bucks to market your kid anyways.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 6:55 AM, TripleBogeysrbetter said:

FCG Podcast with Brandi Jackson: 

• Like 2

On 11/26/2022 at 5:18 AM, leezer99 said:

FCG Podcast with Brandi Jackson: 

Funny you posted Brandi.  If I was hiring anyone it would be Brandi.  Through PKB you memberships gets you a consultation.  I believe I sent her our plans for my daughter and felt like it checked out.

She was with some power 5 girls that have been recruited in the area.

On 11/18/2022 at 7:59 AM, Golfingdawg19 said:

My daughter is 15 and I recently did a free 30 minute session with a recruiter. She basically told me that my daughter was well on the path to play D1 if she continued to progress. She looked at my daughter's resume and was happy with what she saw. We discussed how often to email/message the coaches and what to say when we did. We talked a little about tournament scheduling but that will vary based on everyone's situation. She told us that at this point we didn't need her and to touch base with her back down the road. This particular recruiter focused on girls only and she usually deals with the girls who are late to the process. So being that my daughter was in 9th grade and had already started emailing coaches, she said we were good. We did discuss college camps and she said that for my daughter, the summer camps really wouldn't do much for her. She felt like the showcase style camps where you get a bunch of coaches in one place was a better way to go. I liked the fact that she was honest and straight forward with us. She didnt try and sell us on something that we didn't need.

that recruiter will make it long term... helping those who need help and moving on to those on the path already

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

There is a prominent one on social media that post frequently. I forget the name, but it seems from first glance that most of their athletes they are pushing are from other countries. I could totally see parents in another country, looking at the US college recruiting schema, and not being able to figure it out without playing tournaments in the US.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:17 AM, rpawly said:

There is a prominent one on social media that post frequently. I forget the name, but it seems from first glance that most of their athletes they are pushing are from other countries. I could totally see parents in another country, looking at the US college recruiting schema, and not being able to figure it out without playing tournaments in the US.

We have friends from places like France, China, Taiwan, Australia, South Africa and the UK that have hired agents with fairly spotty results. Most ended up at D2 schools.

But if your kid is young (and good), it's worthwhile understanding the system. Knowing whether the school favors International Baccalaureate or HSC (Australia) or O - Levels (UK) can help formulate plans.

Also in the UK or South Africa and Australia, club vs club is a big part of junior golf and it is regarded highly by local inhabitants. But US college recruiters don't a damn about those results. 

The above are the types of information that an agent can help with. But as far as getting a par shooter to a top program, that's making wine out of water and last I checked there's only been one who can manage that.

1 hour ago, Tugu said:

We have friends from places like France, China, Taiwan, Australia, South Africa and the UK that have hired agents with fairly spotty results. Most ended up at D2 schools.

But if your kid is young (and good), it's worthwhile understanding the system. Knowing whether the school favors International Baccalaureate or HSC (Australia) or O - Levels (UK) can help formulate plans.

Also in the UK or South Africa and Australia, club vs club is a big part of junior golf and it is regarded highly by local inhabitants. But US college recruiters don't a damn about those results. 

The above are the types of information that an agent can help with. But as far as getting a par shooter to a top program, that's making wine out of water and last I checked there's only been one who can manage that.

There are more golfers playing professionally that attended D2 schools than D1.

3 hours ago, Tugu said:

Some day I'll teach y'all my recipe for Pruno.

• 2 weeks later...