Seeking Driver Distance Increase

19Putter

I average about 235 yards off the tee but want another 10-15 yards (like all of us). I have a 60 gram stock shaft in my Titleist 917 D2 driver, 9.5 degrees, with a standard shaft. It was set on a neutral setting. Trying to get more distance I have:

1. Re-set the setting to .75 degrees of loft 

2. Am starting to choke down on my driver grip because I hit them straighter and mostly more consistent from a distance perspective.

3. Experimenting with teeing the ball higher.

I also think my driver shaft is a little bit too light for me, so I bought a Graffaloy 66 gram driver shaft. Thinking that will help with accuracy and make distance more consistent. That, using .75 degrees more loft, teeing it a little higher, and gripping down an inch are what I am going to try. I will compare shafts too. 

Thoughts?

*I know getting in better shape is the best way to gain distance but I have golfers elbow, which I am trying to get rid of first. Need to space my practice and play.

Do you know what your launch stats are? That would be the most helpful to see if a fitting would help. However, if you are fit reasonably well into your driver, the 15yds you’re looking for are either in the gym or technique. If you can get some launch monitor numbers that would help determine what the best option may be.

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

57 minutes ago, DallasSteve said:

Fix that gofers elbow!!!  Graphite shafts in irons, and Theraband.  Worked wonders for me and everyone I've recommended them to.

Yeah, I know. Fixing the golfer's elbow is a priority. I want to wait another 5 years before I invest in graphite shafts for the irons and have heard how much they can help. I've also heard great things about the Theraband, which I just bought a few days ago. Started doing the reverse "Tyler Twist".

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

Do you know what your launch stats are? That would be the most helpful to see if a fitting would help. However, if you are fit reasonably well into your driver, the 15yds you’re looking for are either in the gym or technique. If you can get some launch monitor numbers that would help determine what the best option may be.

I do not but am attempting to achieve a better launch angle by adding more loft to my driver and teeing the ball up a bit higher. But, that requires trial and error. Need to be careful and not tee it too high. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow to work on just that. Really believe I can find 15 more yards. Need to hit the ball more in the center of the club face. Too often, I hit it towards the top. On occasion I hit the ball 250-260 yards, with some drives of 280-290.

From my modest experience the most effective way to improve your distance with the driver is to work on your swing. 

And by that I mean 2 things

-work on your swing speed

-work on your ball flight (baby draw is where the distance is)

I personaly went from 95mph swing speed last year to 103mph this year, with only few days of the SuperSpeed training. 

Then I learned to transform my baby fade to a baby draw (I'm still working on it though, but when I succeed I hit balls longer than most single digit capper even though I'm a mid handicap player)

Today I was getting 265 yards total with my driver (on launch monitor) during practice range, and most of them would have been on the fairway. And I wasn't even swinging out of my shoes. 

I'm 31.4 official handicap (but I play between 14-18 in reality)

I'm telling you this, because my driver is not fitted (Titleist TSR3 off the rack, with a stiff shaft) and it's a 9* (probably too low launching for me), but I still improve my numbers weeks by weeks significantly, just by hitting an insane amount of balls at the range.

That's why I don't care with the fine tuning of my driver for now (only thing i did was to cut the lenght to 45 inches playing lenght as the guys from TXG said it was the max recommended for amateurs)

Edited by AverageFrenchGolfer

Also I forgot to add, but I think when you go to the range, you should always get 2 buckets of balls

One bucket for the Irons, and one bucket for the woods/driver. 

If you really want to work on your drive, you should do 1 bucket of iron/woods and 1 bucket only for the driver. (that's what I do most of the time). 

The driver is the club I use the most at the range. By far. 

I used to average 230 yards because of my swing. Hit down, negative angle of attack. Too much spin about 3500 rpm. Over fade flight. I tried different drivers but never fitted. Then I fixed my swing when I got a Sky Trak. I tried to hit more to the right, hit up on the ball, tee the ball as high as I can. My over fade became an actual fade or sometimes pull. Spin now is at 2000 - 2500 rpm. I averaged 250 yards when I did all the changes and it was a Ping G400 Max that it happened with. I know it was more on my changes rather that the club it self.  I had success with a low spin shaft, Hzrdus Yellow stiff and got to 260 average but I found it too stiff for my liking and it was a PXG 0211 Driver. I went back to my stiff shaft Alta CB on the G400 MAX and now I play a Ping G425 MAX. 

Edited by msg
  • Like 1

Good luck on the elbow rehab but I would say that shouldn’t stop you. For more distance you need more clubhead speed. Strike efficiency will help to optimize ball speed with the speed you have, but I’d go looking for any major power leaks in your swing. Working with a pro and video, that was eye-opening for me. I’m the type who had to see what I was doing to believe it. A lot of arms-driven flip swings and a lot of aches and pains. A lot of work and a series of lessons to correct it.

If your upper body is hurting, assess how you’re doing with your lower body and pressure shifts. I’ll bet there’s more distance in your footwork and how and when you are pushing off the ground to speed up the club and rotate better as it is coming down. And that will take pressure off that elbow. I dealt with similar pain in my lead wrist and the cure was in my pressure shifts. There’s a lot of speed to be harnessed merely by using momentum and pushing against gravity. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

50 minutes ago, AverageFrenchGolfer said:

I'm 31.4 official handicap (but I play between 14-18 in reality)

Are we just going to skate by this blatant sand-baggery?! Don't want to hijack a very worthy post, but couldn't let this one go by without saying something. Hopefully there's an explanation...

• Like 1

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

1 hour ago, RJ_MJ_JJ said:

Are we just going to skate by this blatant sand-baggery?! Don't want to hijack a very worthy post, but couldn't let this one go by without saying something. Hopefully there's an explanation...

I don't ever do competitions. 

Only competitions I do are scrambles with my dad. 

6months ago I was even 54 handicap, which got me in trouble with the federation because we were gaining too much points during scrambles (and we won many scrambles back then). So I had to do a solo competition once (played 16) so I could get a more "decent" handicap (went from 54 --> 31.4). 

During scrambles, our opponents went mad when I was driving it 260 as I was 54 handicap.

My dad is a 9.5 capper at 78 years old though.

On 11/5/2022 at 9:48 AM, 19Putter said:

I average about 235 yards off the tee but want another 10-15 yards (like all of us). I have a 60 gram stock shaft in my Titleist 917 D2 driver, 9.5 degrees, with a standard shaft. It was set on a neutral setting. Trying to get more distance I have:

1. Re-set the setting to .75 degrees of loft 

2. Am starting to choke down on my driver grip because I hit them straighter and mostly more consistent from a distance perspective.

3. Experimenting with teeing the ball higher.

I also think my driver shaft is a little bit too light for me, so I bought a Graffaloy 66 gram driver shaft. Thinking that will help with accuracy and make distance more consistent. That, using .75 degrees more loft, teeing it a little higher, and gripping down an inch are what I am going to try. I will compare shafts too. 

Thoughts?

*I know getting in better shape is the best way to gain distance but I have golfers elbow, which I am trying to get rid of first. Need to space my practice and play.

Unless I missed it I didn't see where you listed your age, physical condition, how often you play/practice or swing speed.

DRIVER -     PXG Gen 4 0811X - 8* | 🔥PROXIMA 5S🔥
2 WD -         PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

5 / 7 WD-    PXG Gen 5 | Project X Riptide CB 4.0 40g Ladies 

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL
PUTTER -   LAB DF 3.0 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

1 hour ago, AverageFrenchGolfer said:

6months ago I was even 54 handicap, which got me in trouble with the federation because we were gaining too much points during scrambles (and we won many scrambles back then). So I had to do a solo competition once (played 16) so I could get a more "decent" handicap (went from 54 --> 31.4). 

During scrambles, our opponents went mad when I was driving it 260 as I was 54 handicap.

Britney Spears What GIF

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

716 CB 4-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
L.A.B. Mezz Max     ‘24 TP5X

2 hours ago, AverageFrenchGolfer said:

But... those scrambles are... competitions...?

Driver: PING G425 7.5*; X-stiff HZRDUS BLACK 75g

Driving Iron: TITLEIST U505 1i; X-stiff HZRDUS Smoke RDX 90g 

Irons: PING i210 3-4, PING BLUEPRINT 5-W; Dynamic Gold X7

Wedges: CLEVELAND RTX4 50, 54, 58; S400

Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT #7 OG

Ball: BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

Grip: WINN Dri Tac Midsize

GHIN: Between my ears... (usually between 1-3)

8 hours ago, RJ_MJ_JJ said:

But... those scrambles are... competitions...?

Yes, but unofficial competitions. 

These are club competition. When I said "federation" I meant the organizers of the competition (usually the manager of the golf club). They told me "you're earning too much bonus point in net scoring because of your 54 index, you need to do a solo competition at least once to reduce your index, because that's unfair right now".

I even told them to reduce my index and put whatever mid-handicap they wanted but they didn't want and insisted I do a solo comp (an official one)

13 hours ago, isitour said:

I found this video very informative....

Pretty good video.  I’ve seen that issue with putting the driver on the ground lined up with the alignment marker.  Good reminder and thanks for sharing this one.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, SEP1006 said:

Unless I missed it I didn't see where you listed your age, physical condition, how often you play/practice or swing speed.

I just turned 60 in September. I am in good shape despite the golfer's elbow. I practice about twice a week in a ball field and play about 3X per month in the season.  I'd estimate my swing speed with a driver to be 88-92 MPH.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:50 PM, AverageFrenchGolfer said:

Also I forgot to add, but I think when you go to the range, you should always get 2 buckets of balls

One bucket for the Irons, and one bucket for the woods/driver. 

If you really want to work on your drive, you should do 1 bucket of iron/woods and 1 bucket only for the driver. (that's what I do most of the time). 

The driver is the club I use the most at the range. By far. 

I'd love to do what you're advising but have to limit the number of balls I hit due to the elbow condition. More balls hit, more discomfort, more yardage off my irons.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:22 PM, dmeeksDC said:

Good luck on the elbow rehab but I would say that shouldn’t stop you. For more distance you need more clubhead speed. Strike efficiency will help to optimize ball speed with the speed you have, but I’d go looking for any major power leaks in your swing. Working with a pro and video, that was eye-opening for me. I’m the type who had to see what I was doing to believe it. A lot of arms-driven flip swings and a lot of aches and pains. A lot of work and a series of lessons to correct it.

If your upper body is hurting, assess how you’re doing with your lower body and pressure shifts. I’ll bet there’s more distance in your footwork and how and when you are pushing off the ground to speed up the club and rotate better as it is coming down. And that will take pressure off that elbow. I dealt with similar pain in my lead wrist and the cure was in my pressure shifts. There’s a lot of speed to be harnessed merely by using momentum and pushing against gravity. 

In the off-season, I will be working on how my feet are used in the swing, pushing off, getting leverage, the whole bit. I know I have an opportunity there because although I transfer my weight pretty well, I don't think I maximize leverage. I also need to hit up on the ball.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 19Putter said:

In the off-season, I will be working on how my feet are used in the swing, pushing off, getting leverage, the whole bit. I know I have an opportunity there because although I transfer my weight pretty well, I don't think I maximize leverage. I also need to hit up on the ball.

Do it. It will pay off. Sounds exactly like me. I was coming off a back injury and developed some poor habits, but even well my swing was way too arms-driven. My lower body motion was weak and incorrect — following my arms instead of the other way around. I was transferring weight, but too quickly to my toes and hips spun out — the club was coming down way too steep and actually slowing down at impact. I couldn’t use my wrists properly with that move, another speed leak. It was hard to grasp that my lower body was so out of sequence, and that fixing that also stopped the steepness. 

It took a number of different drills and keeping at it, working with a highly skilled teaching pro and using video once a week. I needed the trained eye of Damon Lucas looking at me. And he kept telling me I was looking better and better, it is coming. Takes time and effort to change habits and it is not going to immediately transfer to the golf course. I could not do it trying to change my full swing all at once. I started to see results on the course in about 2 months and still lapse back on some swings. Those old swing patterns don’t change quickly. But it’s now the exception not the rule. 

We worked on it in pieces and then started putting it together. And I did a lot of swings with my eyes closed and no ball. The upshot is I started to play great about four months after I started and shot my career low (70) on a difficult golf course (Blue Mash in Maryland) and then shot two more rounds in which I broke 75. I do not think I could do that before, scrambling like I always did. I was not accurate enough. My speed jumped up with what felt like far easier swings. 

There are moments of frustration along the way — that’s golf — but I feel like I have a far better understanding of what my most efficient swings feel like. Good luck to you. Be patient. Anything learned incorrectly can be unlearned and fixed. When it feels effortless and the ball is taking off on target without you swinging hard with your arms, you’re getting somewhere. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 11/5/2022 at 12:52 PM, 19Putter said:

I do not but am attempting to achieve a better launch angle by adding more loft to my driver and teeing the ball up a bit higher. But, that requires trial and error. Need to be careful and not tee it too high. I'll be hitting the range tomorrow to work on just that. Really believe I can find 15 more yards. Need to hit the ball more in the center of the club face. Too often, I hit it towards the top. On occasion I hit the ball 250-260 yards, with some drives of 280-290.

If avg 235, but sometimes 280-290, thinking swing needs some consistency.

It's not the arrow but the archer...

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

On 11/29/2022 at 9:13 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Do it. It will pay off. Sounds exactly like me. I was coming off a back injury and developed some poor habits, but even well my swing was way too arms-driven. My lower body motion was weak and incorrect — following my arms instead of the other way around. I was transferring weight, but too quickly to my toes and hips spun out — the club was coming down way too steep and actually slowing down at impact. I couldn’t use my wrists properly with that move, another speed leak. It was hard to grasp that my lower body was so out of sequence, and that fixing that also stopped the steepness. 

It took a number of different drills and keeping at it, working with a highly skilled teaching pro and using video once a week. I needed the trained eye of Damon Lucas looking at me. And he kept telling me I was looking better and better, it is coming. Takes time and effort to change habits and it is not going to immediately transfer to the golf course. I could not do it trying to change my full swing all at once. I started to see results on the course in about 2 months and still lapse back on some swings. Those old swing patterns don’t change quickly. But it’s now the exception not the rule. 

We worked on it in pieces and then started putting it together. And I did a lot of swings with my eyes closed and no ball. The upshot is I started to play great about four months after I started and shot my career low (70) on a difficult golf course (Blue Mash in Maryland) and then shot two more rounds in which I broke 75. I do not think I could do that before, scrambling like I always did. I was not accurate enough. My speed jumped up with what felt like far easier swings. 

There are moments of frustration along the way — that’s golf — but I feel like I have a far better understanding of what my most efficient swings feel like. Good luck to you. Be patient. Anything learned incorrectly can be unlearned and fixed. When it feels effortless and the ball is taking off on target without you swinging hard with your arms, you’re getting somewhere. 

Thanks for this. I know Blue Mach, live right outside Columbia, Md. Great score on that course. I'm an 11 hdcp. and am striving to get to a 10. I only play about 30 X annually. My golfer's elbow is an issue with practice though. Need to limit how many balls I hit, can't do any speed drills, etc.

On 5/30/2022 at 1:56 PM, rollen said:

Going through it right now too.  KT tape is helping. There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to apply.  Cooling sleeves add a bit of compression and seem to allow movement while reducing the discomfort.  Icing and anti-inflammatories are also helping.  Amazing how regular day activities  aggravate it, not to mention pull starting the lawn mower.  

On 5/30/2022 at 1:17 PM, iGolf67 said:

I had it so bad I couldn't pick up a full glass of water. I switched to graphite shafts on the recommendation of a doctor specializing in sports injuries and have been pain free since. 

On 8/29/2022 at 4:26 PM, Snowman9000 said:

Someone posted this podcast link on a golfer’s elbow thread today.  I listened to it and found it very enlightening.  Much different from the usual advice. Supposedly the latest thinking on it.  

https://fitforgolf.blog/2022/02/28/dr-keith-baar-golfers-and-tennis-elbow-rehab/

Thanks for this. Trying this beginning today.

On 4/20/2022 at 10:33 AM, jamesgott said:

I play a weekend dogfight every saturday at the same course. I struggle sometimes with just being deliberate, in the moment, and being focused. On Saturday we were supposed to have a monthly tournament but it was cancelled due to weather. 15 or so guys still showed up anyway and we carried on with our normal weekend format. 

I walked, like I usually do, with my pushcart. Something just felt different. I felt focused, much more than normal. I also opened with 4 pars which is pretty out of the ordinary for me - but they weren't standard pars. I was fighting - completely scrambling from odd places just to get up and down for a look at it and putts were dropping. 

I doubled 9 but ended up with a 39 on the front which I've never done. No birdies. 

I had a bunch of pars on the back but bogeyed 16, 17, and 18. I had no idea that I was close to a sub-80 round. My playing partners were very aware though. I sank the putt on 18 for a 79 and it was a great feeling because my friend yelled and congratulated me. What a great feeling. 39 - 40. No birdies. I know which strokes I left out there and I hope I can go lower next time!

IMG_9735.png

On 11/6/2022 at 7:51 PM, SEP1006 said: