2022 Pelican Women's Championship (Nov 10 - 13)

Argonne69

Yealimi Noh closed out her horrendous season with a snowman and a double in two rounds.  Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, she stayed to her form.  Miraculously, she stays inside Top 80 at #79; it's a reward for 2020 Rookie of the Year award she didn't get.

In retrospective, her move from Concord, California to Dallas precipitated her fall from grace.  Instead of staying close to her long time swing coach Erik Stone, she spent time on fine food and looking good.  

It won't be long, but she needs to spend the winter in California and have a gangbuster start to 2023 season!

• Like 2

The season ended, unfortunately Su Oh (#103), Muni He (#110) and Bianca Pagdanganan (#124) are all outside of #100.

I don't know whether they'll try 2022 LPGA Q-Series, maybe Muni should attempt to get her second Q-Scholl Medalist honor!  If not, they can always model after Andrea Lee and have a great breakout year in 2023!

31 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Yealimi Noh closed out her horrendous season with a snowman and a double in two rounds.  Apple doesn't fall far from the tree, she stayed to her form.  Miraculously, she stays inside Top 80 at #79; it's a reward for 2020 Rookie of the Year award she didn't get.

In retrospective, her move from Concord, California to Dallas precipitated her fall from grace.  Instead of staying close to her long time swing coach Erik Stone, she spent time on fine food and looking good.  

It won't be long, but she needs to spend the winter in California and have a gangbuster start to 2023 season!

Fall from grace?  She has never been a high ranked player on tour or won an event. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, on a positive note Lexi didn't toss this one away. A couple of bogies, but Nelly simply chased her down. 

Quite the day for Nelly. The 18th was playing tough, and with a two shot cushion I can see why she played it safe. No harm with a closing bogie on an otherwise outstanding round. 

Another learning experience for Allisen and Maja. One under is generally not going to get it done on a scoreable course, but congrats to both for excellent weeks. 

• Like 4

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I'm excited that I'll finally be able to watch LPGA next week after being overseas for over a month.  It's a great time for LPGA and I look forward to Nelly, Lydia, Brooke, Minjee and Jeeno battling it out at CME Tour Championship. 

Lydia didn't have a good week, but she remains on top of "Player of the Year" and "Vare Trophy" race heading into the last tournament of the year.

The regular 2022 CME season has come to an end, key milestones are:

1.        Lydia Ko                                 3071.693

60.     Caroline Masson                   558.021

63.     Ariya Jutuanugarn                534.161*

80.     Emily Kristine Pedersen       379.840

100.   Caroline Inglis                       217.727

150.    Hee Young Park                   54.000

* Ariya will play CME Tour Championship next week as an alternate.  Danielle Kang, Jessica Korda and Linn Grant won't play.              

Edited by 18majors
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

* Ariya will play CME Tour Championship next week as an alternate.  Danielle Kang, Jessica Korda and Linn Grant won't play.              

https://www.lpga.com/tournaments/pelican-womens-championship/leaderboard?round=3
image.png.f98bd3c2594571fb74e4243b0ec46b78.png

Looking at R2 Leaderboard: LPGA had projected that , if Fassi had remained T2... then Fassi's "Race to CME" projected ranking = ~51st?

image.png.1d26de3cc78e463b62dacb329f6af037.png

https://www.lpga.com/statistics/points/race-to-cme-globe-season?year=2022 

image.png.7ac0c0a31c19598e1ccf7e225f1c1d6f.png

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

Morgane Metraux Goes Low to Maintain 2023 LPGA Tour Status

13 Nov 2022

metrauxm_1440839923_2000x1125.jpg?h=1125

Photo Credit: 2022 Getty Images

kiki-higuchi_470x486.jpg?h=58&la=en&w=58

Written By: Kikue Higuchi

Kikue Higuchi is a journalism student at Northwestern University and an intern at the LPGA.

BELLEAIR, FLA | Morgane Metraux has ended her rookie season on the LPGA Tour exactly how she ended her last season on the Epson Tour: With high stakes and lots of pressure right up until her final putt.

Last year, Metraux entered the Epson Tour Championship 10th in the Ascensus Race for the Card. She finished the tournament at T17, bumping her to ninth and securing her LPGA Tour Membership for 2022.

Entering the Pelican Women’s Championship, Metraux was ranked No. 101 in the Race to the CME Globe. In order to retain her LPGA Tour card for the 2023 season, Metraux would need to turn in a strong performance and break into the top 100.

Sunday, Metraux posted a 6-under 64 in her final round of the season – her best since a second round 62 at the Dow Great Lakes Bay Invitational – to finish T4 and leapfrog to 85th in the Race to the CME Globe, successfully protecting her Tour status. Safe to say, Metraux thrives under pressure.

“Obviously this week was more than just a tournament for me, a lot was on the line,” Metraux said, coming off the 18th green. “I think yesterday I struggled a little bit more with that. Today it was more like just go for it.

“Super, super happy. I did not want to go to Q-Series, so I’m happy I can go back to play the final in Europe now. I don’t really have words, to be honest. Everything is a little bit overwhelming.”

Like she said, the demand of playing to keep her job certainly showed in the second round of the tournament. After opening the weekend with a respectable first-round 66, Metraux carded four bogeys en route to a 71 on Saturday.

“When you’re playing to win you already feel like you’re playing really well if you’re in a position to win the tournament, so you can build confidence on that,” Metraux said. “If you’re playing to keep your job it means you haven’t done quite as good, so I think it’s more pressure. It’s like playing to make the cut on the last hole versus playing to win the tournament. They’re both pressure, but I think the pressure of making the cut is harder.”

Luckily, Metraux found a way to live with that strain on Sunday. She turned in a spotless card, starting with four birdies on the front nine to move to 7-under par. The 25-year-old hit 15 of 18 greens in regulation and needed just 27 putts to get through the course. Though she was already in good position after she made the turn, she told her caddie she needed a few more birdies before she put her clubs away.

“Instead of thinking ‘I’m in a good place, just make pars and you’ll be fine,’ I wanted to keep pushing and tell myself I need more birdies to get closer to the lead,” Metraux explained. “That’s the mindset I had. At some point I made a couple pars in a row, and I thought, ‘okay, now it’s time to make birdies again.’”

Her T4 finish at the Pelican Women’s Championship is a career best result for Metraux. Her only other top 10 came in September at the Kroger Queen City Championship presented by P&G where she went 10-under par to tie for 10th.

Metraux’s rookie season was a turbulent one. After four straight missed cuts in the spring, Metraux finished 12th at the ShopRite LPGA Classic presented by Acer and was able to bring some confidence into the latter half of the season.

“I had a good first event because I had no expectations,” Metraux said. “After that I was just thinking, ‘oh my God, this is the best tour in the world; do I really belong here?’ Then off the course I started struggling a little bit too, so that played into my game. I was able to go back home and figure some stuff out and came back. I got 12th in ShopRite and that was the turning point for me where I realized I can do this, I belong here. That really gave me some momentum and confidence for the rest of the season.”

But after a string of three missed cuts in the fall, Metraux took four weeks off heading into the Pelican Women’s Championship to work on her game and spend some time at home. 

“After my last event in California I was very upset at myself and disappointed because I had missed few cuts in a row, and I wanted to have this break knowing that I was fine for next year,” Metraux said. “I didn’t manage to do that, so I took those four weeks to reset, work on my game, and feel like I was in a good place coming in here.”

There’s something else about the Pelican Women’s Championship that was similar to the Epson Tour Championship for Metraux: her dad, Oliver. Saturday, Oliver was in Saudi Arabia, caddying for Morgane’s sister, Kim, at the Aramco Team Series. Sunday morning, Oliver was driving to Pelican Golf Club from the Orlando International Airport to see his daughter play her final round.

Last year, Oliver caddied for her through those four stressful rounds of the season-ending event. This year, though he wasn’t Metraux’s caddie, he made sure to be by his daughter’s side once again when the stakes were high.

Hopefully next year Oliver will be able to watch a stress-free final event. But even if the pressure is on, there’s no doubt that Metraux is up to the challenge.

Copyright © LPGA 2022. All Rights Reserved.

Edited by JungleJimbo

30 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

If Maria Fassi had finished par-par (to finish at solo-4th at -10)... would Fassi have had enough points to leapfrog Ariya Jutanugarn and play the CME Tour Championship?

Maria finished the season at #65 with 513.647 points after she earned 90.000 on Sunday at -8 and T7. 

1.    Had she finished -9 with par-bogey on her last two holes:

She'd be T4 and earned 136.250 points; she'd have 559.717 points for the season and rank #60.

2.   Had she finished -10 with par-par on her last two holes:

She'd be 4th and earned 185,000 points; she'd have 608.647 points for the season and rank #53.

Yes, Ariya would be #64 and miss next week in either scenario.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Dude, what is wrong with you? Every week you have a new excuse why Yealimi Noh is playing bad. Your obsession with her is genuinely creepy. 

Us yealimi fans are running out of excuses. Maybe she just ain't all that 😞

Another one in the American hype machine bites the dust. 

5 hours ago, 18majors said:

Inbee is playing ? I'll believe it when I see it !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, 18majors said:

Hee Young Park should be able to use a Maternity leave exemption 

• Like 1