2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

All Hail “The Consummate Pro” Bernhard Langer - 44 Wins

Chrysalis99

He's an amazing golfer for sure, and I'd heard at least one commentator note that his swing has changed very little throughout his career, so that also is likely a contributing factor.  As with many records, perspective might make them a little less impressive than they are.   Irwin won his tournaments within a 12-year span, while Langer is in his 16th year.  Did Irwin stop winning because he stopped trying so hard, or did age catch up to him sooner than it has for Langer?  I don't know how many tournaments it took for Irwin to get those wins, but I suspect it was quite a bit fewer than it's taken Langer.  To me, the most impressive stats are the age at which Langer is winning and winning in every year he's been on the champions tour.   

I learn more from watching the older guys and the women.  They tend to play more the way I do since most do not overpower the course.  Plus the older guys miss a lot more putts inside of 10 ft as their feel has faded a little.  Langer is amazing since he has had so many putting approaches over the years.  He works harder at his game than most and still has the drive to win.  I too thought the time lost to covid would derail his efforts but he just seems to find a way to win though not as often as he once did.  Seems to shoot his age or lower almost every week.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I came across a news article that analyzed Langer's putting stroke and determined that it was a form of "anchoring" which is illegal according to rule 14-1b. 

This is the news article: https://www.golfmagic.com/pga-tour/bernhard-langer-under-fire-over-cheating-putting-stroke-its-laughable

In my opinion, I agree that Langer is anchoring because he actually has his left arm all the way up to his elbow pressed up to his chest where you can see it creased-up on his shirt.

This is fairly obvious in the pictures and videos so I am really dumbfounded on why no one from the USGA, tournament officials, or anyone for that matter has the balls to officially report this. It is so pathetic that they will let this guy break Hales' record by blatantly cheating in front of everyone.

If there is someone on this forum who works for the USGA, I implore you to take a second look at this guy and at least open up an investigation to protect the sanctity of our sport.

I believe that Langer has committed a major travesty that shouldn't be allowed to go on and stain someone else's records.

• Haha 3

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

2 hours ago, Golfbit2X said:

I came across a news article that analyzed Langer's putting stroke and determined that it was a form of "anchoring" which is illegal according to rule 14-1b. 

This is the news article: https://www.golfmagic.com/pga-tour/bernhard-langer-under-fire-over-cheating-putting-stroke-its-laughable

In my opinion, I agree that Langer is anchoring because he actually has his left arm all the way up to his elbow pressed up to his chest where you can see it creased-up on his shirt.

This is fairly obvious in the pictures and videos so I am really dumbfounded on why no one from the USGA, tournament officials, or anyone for that matter has the balls to officially report this. It is so pathetic that they will let this guy break Hales' record by blatantly cheating in front of everyone.

If there is someone on this forum who works for the USGA, I implore you to take a second look at this guy and at least open up an investigation to protect the sanctity of our sport.

I believe that Langer has committed a major travesty that shouldn't be allowed to go on and stain someone else's records.

No one is going to do anything about this.  I don’t like his putting either, I still feel like he is cheating but I do admire everything else about the man.  The reason nobody says anything about him, or accuses him of anything is because the PGA Tour and the officials who run tournaments have admitted during the Casey Martin trial against the PGA Tour, that the Champions Tour is exhibition golf.  Nothing more.  Sure there’s prize money but for the most part most people running the Champions Tour know it’s all for sh*ts and giggles. It’s not important and it certainly not something people take seriously at all.  EXHIBITION GOLF.  Nobody cares and nobody will ever care if someone wins 127 Champion’s Tour events in a row, it doesn’t mean anything.  

• Confused 2

7 hours ago, sharkiesj said:

No one is going to do anything about this.  I don’t like his putting either, I still feel like he is cheating but I do admire everything else about the man.  The reason nobody says anything about him, or accuses him of anything is because the PGA Tour and the officials who run tournaments have admitted during the Casey Martin trial against the PGA Tour, that the Champions Tour is exhibition golf.  Nothing more.  Sure there’s prize money but for the most part most people running the Champions Tour know it’s all for sh*ts and giggles. It’s not important and it certainly not something people take seriously at all.  EXHIBITION GOLF.  Nobody cares and nobody will ever care if someone wins 127 Champion’s Tour events in a row, it doesn’t mean anything.  

I respectfully disagree with your argument, sharkiesj.

I've been playing in a couple of golf leagues and more than a few occasions, I've called penalties on myself for infractions that would not normally be detected by anyone else. Whether it's an amateur golf league, an exhibition golf league, a Saturday morning golf round, it is common knowledge that golfers follow the rules of golf and are expected to report their own violations.

In fact, I think golf is the only sport where the players are expected to self-report their own violations to uphold the spirit of the game. 

Furthermore, the Senior PGA Tour may seem like exhibition golf to you but it still involves professional golfers playing for significant prize money even if not as huge as the PGA Tour.  

The Senior PGA Tour also has its own Hall of Fame keeping track of records including Hale Erwin's 45 wins record that was supposedly recently equalled by Langer so his illegal anchoring is a big deal since it allowed him to make more than a few long putts in his Senior Tour career that probably allowed him to win a few of those tournaments.

So I think your argument based on "EXHIBITION GOLF" does not hold water.

Lastly, for senior golfers like me, I am really disappointed at this violation and it still boggles my mind why it continues to be tolerated when it is so blatantly obvious that Langer is breaking the anchoring rule. 

Edited by Golfbit2X
  • Like 2

Lifetime winning percentage (golf league): 17% (5 out of 30 tournaments over 3 years)

Driver: Ping G410, 10.5° w/ stiff 46.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite XL grip; modified CG weight

3 Wood: Callaway,  ST Max Fairway Wood, 15.0°, Stiff, Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Graphite 43.25" shaft, JumboMax JMX Ultralite L grip

Utility Wood: Cleveland, 18.0°, Launcher Halo Hy-Wood 3+; 41.5" shaft length; modified CG weight

4 to 8 Irons: Callaway Rogue X 4 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length; modified CG weight; 9 Iron: Callaway Rogue X 9 iron, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Pitching Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 44°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length
Approach Wedge: Callaway Rogue, 49°, graphite shaft, stiff, +.5" shaft length

Sand Wedge: Titleist, Vokey SM7, 56°
Lob Wedge: Taylor Made full face - raw finish, 60°; Putter: Tour Edge Wingman, modified pistol grip, armlock modified 41.5" extended shaft, added center weight.

• 3 weeks later...

Did it again. How bout that! Since I posted this topic he’s also won another event. Could this be the week he breaks the unbreakable record?

That nonsense about exhibition golf is silly. I go to our annual champ event every year and volunteered the first few years. I go every day they’re on the course but when it comes Friday it’s all business. Every one of them is in game mode . No fooling around or joking even on the range. It’s a good tour I watch regularly and enjoy, like many others. 

All hail THE MAN, THE LEGEND…BERNHARD LANGER

• Thanks 2

On 3/1/2023 at 12:46 PM, Golfbit2X said:

There's always at least one chucklehead that revels in calling players cheaters.

Won't argue about the shirt, the reasons why the pic doesn't prove anything are pretty obvious and it's just another "look at me" "article" and quoting Twitter reactions as some sort of validation, which says more about the "article" than anything else.

Someone damning him with faint praise in this thread posted a pre-rule change vid in another thread celebrating his last victory to claim he was violating rule that came into effect years after the video was shot - bunch of nonsense.

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Thanks 2

On 3/1/2023 at 1:46 PM, Golfbit2X said:

I have golf magic on one of my Facebook feeds. IMHO most of what they print can be taken with a grain of salt. They are into stuff to get clicks or click bait as it is called.

I feel that Langer is a man of integrity and a good Christian man. If it was cheating he would have no part of it. I know when he first figured out how to do it within the rules he was scrutinized closely. Lanny Watkins would not shut up about it and they have had close up cameras etc and have determined he is not anchoring. 

On the long putter ban the USGA failed miserably. Instead of banning anchoring they should have went to a maximum length on putters. That would have taken all of the doubt out. Now the arm lock putters are another can of worms. IMHO again I feel it is the poster child of anchoring. Again the USGA could have done something in this area too but they say it is not anchoring. Yes I will admit I am the biggest detractor of the USGA on this or any other board.

And I admit I pull for Langer one of the reasons is he spurs me on due to being one month older than I am so I will admit I am biased towards him. As I say chalk up one for the old guys

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

15 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I have golf magic on one of my Facebook feeds. IMHO most of what they print can be taken with a grain of salt. They are into stuff to get clicks or click bait as it is called.

I feel that Langer is a man of integrity and a good Christian man. If it was cheating he would have no part of it. I know when he first figured out how to do it within the rules he was scrutinized closely. Lanny Watkins would not shut up about it and they have had close up cameras etc and have determined he is not anchoring. 

On the long putter ban the USGA failed miserably. Instead of banning anchoring they should have went to a maximum length on putters. That would have taken all of the doubt out. Now the arm lock putters are another can of worms. IMHO again I feel it is the poster child of anchoring. Again the USGA could have done something in this area too but they say it is not anchoring. Yes I will admit I am the biggest detractor of the USGA on this or any other board.

And I admit I pull for Langer one of the reasons is he spurs me on due to being one month older than I am so I will admit I am biased towards him. As I say chalk up one for the old guys

Well said!

He’s older than me (won’t say how close we are, lol) and the guy is a marvel and inspiration. 

He’s “spotting” most of the competition a significant distance off the tee and therefore even more from his approach shots ——- as Gary Oldman said, as Winston Churchill, “When will the lesson be learned?”

For the first time in my life my driver fitting this spring and my mental game (such as it is) will revolve around finding fairways as the number one priority! No more stubborn search for distance. 

• Like 1