What percentage of WRX members are female?

elwhippy

Just wondering what percentage of WRX'ers are female? Looking at the WITB's I cannot see many that stand out as a smoother or slower swinger? Our club has four very low hcp lady members but only one has changed their clubs in the past two to three years. Surely, we have some ladies who cannot resist new clubs, balls and apparel or are they on a different site? 

I've played thousands of rounds at public golf courses and literally not a single time have I been paired with a female between the ages of 18-50.

Except for maybe a handful of times that a bf/husband dragged her out there and she wasn't actually into golf.

I've always been curious why so few females play golf. A few of the high school teams practice at a course I frequent, and each team will have 20+ girls out there. Do most (if not all) just completely stop playing after high school?

Edited by Blaiser

In all of the years of playing, I've played a round exactly once with a woman.  And she shot +1 in 9 holes.  Made me sick!  LOL!  I almost never see couples; only on occasion married folks.  It makes you think women don't play golf.  Of course, it's not true.  But one thing I see in the leagues I've seen; they're encouraging to each other and don't trash talk.  It's actually refreshing.

As an OG here, this place is intimidating for a woman.  I've gotten to know two of them, because we hang out in the LPGA thread, which if I'm being honest, is closer to my game.  Everywhere else you could get lost.  It's really an attitude thing in the entire here, but also the game as a whole.  In our store, for example, we try to hold events, bring in someone who caters to women in golf fashion and things like that.  It's hard sometimes to be honest.  When your customer base is literally almost 98%, it's easy to think about the men.  But I digress...

I would love to see more interaction with women on a regular level, not just the elite am's and older players who can keep up with the men (No offense Kay - I love you!).  The game is hard enough, we don't need to make the online experience just as hard.

• Like 4

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

The amount of male golfers on here compared to how many are out there is a tiny percentage. So considering female golfers in that same ratio plus other factors like we see above, you can safely say there's maybe like 3 or 4 women who post here.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

4 hours ago, Blaiser said:

I've played thousands of rounds at public golf courses and literally not a single time have I been paired with a female between the ages of 18-50.

Except for maybe a handful of times that a bf/husband dragged her out there and she wasn't actually into golf.

I've always been curious why so few females play golf. A few of the high school teams practice at a course I frequent, and each team will have 20+ girls out there. Do most (if not all) just completely stop playing after high school?

Just to provide a bit of contrast...

At the course I primarily play, we've noticed a decided upswing in the number of ladies on the course.  The ladies will sometimes be playing with a mixed group, and something we're seeing more often, all female groups of three or four.

I normally don't play as a single, but on the occasions it's happened, I've been paired with women a fair number of times.  

It's something that's ticked upwards in the last couple years, and in 2022 it's continued to trend upward.

Just a FWIW comment  🙂

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

7 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I have almost never had a conversation with any of our women in the women's group about equipment other than trying to get them to use a shorter putter

Over the years, I've had two or three conversations on the course about golf equipment with a woman.  The most notable was with the new wife of one of my larger weekend group, and was strictly because I'm the group's unofficial golf club nerd.  

She is a confirmed fairway wood user, loathing irons.  When she started playing with us, her bag went up to a 7w.  I'd mentioned the component options available that go farther, and that was the entire conversation; how many woods she could get, and if I'd build them for her.  🙂

Aside from that, exactly as you've said.  🙂

Edited by NRJyzr

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

50 minutes ago, Ifelloffladder said:

Seems like humor(even if it is crass or not) is on it's way to being obsolete because it offends anyone in today's sensitive society.

Sorry if I offended any woman out there that was eager to join this site but due to my crass sense of humor got turned off. 🤪 Jesus, we have some sensitive people!

image.png.e9203f3b3e60fae92bc6c13f72fef0c6.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Over the years, I've had two or three conversations on the course about golf equipment with a woman.  The most notable was with the new wife of one of my larger weekend group, and was strictly because I'm the group's unofficial golf club nerd.  

She is a confirmed fairway wood user, loathing irons.  When she started playing with us, her bag went up to a 7w.  I'd mentioned the component options available that go farther, and that was the entire conversation; how many woods she could get, and if I'd build them for her.  🙂

Aside from that, exactly as you've said.  🙂

Women tend to be very practical with clubs. If it works and doesn't look horrible they will hold onto it forever. For example, you would rarely ever see a woman golfer with rusty clubs.  In fact it would be interesting if someone could find an LPGA bag with rusty wedges.  Shouldn't be an issue with the pros, but I'm betting very, very few embrace the rust.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mshills said:

Typical experience here. I had an afternoon open up so I go to local course on short notice as a single and ask to get paired up. Here’s my exchange with the starter after the shop checked me in:

“Sure, I can get you out, have a threesome I will put you with in 45 minutes.”

”How about I join the twosome that’s heading to #1?”

”That’s two women, you don’t want to play with them.”

Nice, huh? That’s one local course my wife who is picking up the game now won’t be frequenting. 

Here’s the difference — I actually **like** women, and I enjoy playing golf with anyone who likes golf. 

Did it really not occur to you that the starter may have been protecting them from you and not you from them? 

Anyone offended by that joke, relax, it was really not that bad. 

Anyone offended by the fact that people got offended by that joke, relax, you knew you were toeing a line there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

1 minute ago, iknowbagu said:

Did it really not occur to you that the starter may have been protecting them from you and not you from them? 

Oh come on….you know what, never mind. I’m going to go get my gear ready to play golf with my wife in the morning. 👍🏻

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I've interacted with a number of women members over the years. Probably under-represented as a proportion of total golfers but i'm guessing that's less to do with the site specifically and more to do with just general internet patterns. I would guess men are generally more likely to engage in internet forums overall, maybe because we're more confrontational, outspoken in nature. But that's a guess. 

I would guess as in real life, women are more likely to lurk and just think amongst themselves how we are all morons 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 hour ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Women tend to be very practical with clubs. If it works and doesn't look horrible they will hold onto it forever. For example, you would rarely ever see a woman golfer with rusty clubs.  In fact it would be interesting if someone could find an LPGA bag with rusty wedges.  Shouldn't be an issue with the pros, but I'm betting very, very few embrace the rust.

Absolute truth. Using my wife as an example, she used a set of PING i3 O/S from 2003 until 2021, still plays V-Steel fairways, and PING EYE 2 wedges. And anytime you look at them they would pass an INI inspection. 

• Like 4

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

10 hours ago, Blaiser said:

The only time I have been paired with women was when I lived in Italy.  One of them shot -3 on the back 9 and -1 overall.  It was fun to watch.  

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

While there aren’t many women on WRX, the one thing that I have noticed over the last decade, is the number of women who come to the driving range by themselves.  10-15 years ago, it was 0. If they did come, it was only with a husband or boyfriend.  Now it’s a daily occurrence - and lots of them. Some of them are dipping their toes into the water, but many are dead serious and can really hit it. It’s only a matter of time before more women venture onto WRX and/or become club junkies. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 10K 10.5º Chrome 2.0 S (on order)

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45" (soon to be mothballed)

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

1 hour ago, Socrates said:

While there aren’t many women on WRX, the one thing that I have noticed over the last decade, is the number of women who come to the driving range by themselves.  10-15 years ago, it was 0. If they did come, it was only with a husband or boyfriend.  Now it’s a daily occurrence - and lots of them. Some of them are dipping their toes into the water, but many are dead serious and can really hit it. It’s only a matter of time before more women venture onto WRX and/or become club junkies. 

I have a handful of female friends that took up golf during Covid. Couldn't pay them to swing a club prior but they get it now: moderate exercise, green grass, and so many cool golf accessories/cute outfits. 

Titleist TSR3 10° Autoflex 505x

Titleist TSR3 15° Ventus Red 7s

Callaway UW 19° Ventus Red 7s

PXG 0311 Gen3 4-5p, 6-9t, PWst Oban CT-115s 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy 50° Oban CT-115s

Vokey 56°s Raw, 60°t Raw Project X LZ 6.0

Byron Morgan DH89x / 009 

As a club junkie and master tinkerer, I have a few thoughts...

#1 - I play with some very good ams, often. I am, by far, the most knowledgeable about club tech. Hardly any of the guys understand what's going on with their equipment and how it effects their results.

#2 - since golf is probably 85% a male participation sport and only about 5% of those males have a clue about equipment, it's pretty easy to see why there aren't many females around here.  The # of very high level ability female golfers is very low. 90% of really good female golfers are under child-rearing age. They practice, they play, then they get on Instagram or tiktok, etc. They don't really care much about club tech. The most techie they get is around shafts in irons because there are options in that space that make.it easier for a woman to swing.

#3 - not a lot of women want to join their husbands for a round of golf at 7am. Not many want to spend 5.5 hours minimum (including travel and warmup) away from home. I've tried to get my wife to just ride along with me. Big nope. I get father's day...that's it...and both my sons (8 & 4) play. 

#4 - women at public courses...just not happening much. Then look at private courses. Women stay with women, not by force, but by choosing. (Very well could also be that the husbands want to play a men's game and the ladies don't feel welcome)

#5 - moms! Once you become a mom, recreation is very different. I will make an assumption - when women get a break from kids and home, the last thing they want is to go hang out with a bunch of guys. 

So, this is a tinkerer's site. Participation rate by women is low. Tinkerers are not a huge % of the male golfing world. Golf for ladies is 99.992% recreation. Ladies aren't joining a site about golf equipment. 

• Like 4

18 hours ago, GolfTurkey said:

I can see why that is, but also spare a thought for the intimidated men who don't hit 250 yard 6 irons and swing driver at 180 mph!

I, ahem... of course I hit my 6 iron 250! And my driver goes over 500 yards now. Why else come to GolfWRX? I need somewhere to brag. 😜

7 hours ago, getitdaily said:

#3 - not a lot of women want to join their husbands for a round of golf at 7am. Not many want to spend 5.5 hours minimum (including travel and warmup) away from home. I've tried to get my wife to just ride along with me. Big nope. I get father's day...that's it...and both my sons (8 & 4) play. 

#4 - women at public courses...just not happening much. Then look at private courses. Women stay with women, not by force, but by choosing. (Very well could also be that the husbands want to play a men's game and the ladies don't feel welcome)

For #3, my wife will actually get up and walk 18 with me at 7 am. She's also been known to join me in 30 degrees to walk 18 (as long as it's not windy or raining of course). But she is an anomaly. 

For #4, our private club actually has a solid group of ladies golfers. My wife said that earlier this year they had over 100 ladies show up for the women's league opening event. 

• Like 2

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

On 11/8/2022 at 11:06 PM, Socrates said:

Totally concur. And it isn't just wives learning to play with their husbands after retirement. I personally know of four or five Millennials just at my local course that started during the pandemic, two of which have really taken to it ... lessons, practice sessions at the range, play a couple times a week. And even younger. While women's golf has been around in various places at the collegiate level, you hardly ever saw it is high school (in fact, many if not most US high schools don't even have men's golf). But in the last few years, I'm aware of three high schools relatively close to me that have started women's golf teams. I realize all that is anecdotal, but the national  numbers bear this out. Last stats I read (forget where) said around 23% - 25% of American golfers are now female, up from 18% - 19% a decade ago. A fifth to a quarter in a decade (may not sound significant, but golf is centuries old - relatively speaking that big of a change in ten years is huge).

This is quiet and gradual - you rarely hear it mentioned - but women are taking up golf in increasing numbers. And not just social golf (though that's always part of it for women or men), but as a serious sport. My girlfriend is obsessively practicing her wedges in her back yard. She figures if she can hit her French Pittie running around (with a foam ball) hitting a hole that doesn't move should be easy. 

I personally love the trend. Women are usually fun and often interesting to play with. 

That said, any increase in the number of women on WRX is likely (IMO) to lag considerably behind the increase in the number of women on courses. This is a very masculine place. it can get pretty coarse, and at times ego-driven. Not saying women are overly "sensitive" and need absolute political correctness (they aren't and they don't), but most of the women I know - especially those that play golf - simply enjoy environments (on the internet and IRL) where the tone is a bit more respectful and elevated than is often the standard here. This just isn't a very female friendly place (but please - any women here let me know if you disagree and I'm missing something).

Edited by bobfoster
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag