“Fat Perez” & Max Homa

Yuck

58 minutes ago, Yuck said:

D1 golfers, 7000 yards vs Nelly Korda or the revitalized Lydia Ko.  I think the majority of D1 golfers would lose. Even at that yardage.  Nelly is long enough to play at that distance and Ko would short-game them to death.

Which D1 players? I think the upper half of the D1 talent in the country is unreal and would probably have a day at that distance. The women just aren't used to it. 

The Majority would lose.  Take 100 random D1 Players and at least 51 would lose.  Take all D1 players, more than half would lose.

51 minutes ago, Ole3wiggle said:

Which D1 players? I think the upper half of the D1 talent in the country is unreal and would probably have a day at that distance. The women just aren't used to it. 

2 hours ago, aenemated said:

Could she beat a talented college kid? Every single day. When she was 14. 

So here's the thing - not all D1 golfers are the same. Some of them get deep into the match play in the US Am. Take Stew Hagestad for example. He's not made it past the quarters in the US Am I don't think. That's because he's lost to D1 players. He's also finished T36 in the Masters. There are some "talented college kids" who would beat Ko more often than not IMO. Not many perhaps and there are certainly a fair few who she would beat 9 times out of 10 if not 10. 

On a separate note, Garrett Clark just posted a video on youtube of him playing a match against Andrew Kozan. Kozan won an event on the KFT this year. Spoiler alert - Kozan beat him on the last hole. Little bit of a funky course they were playing and I'm sure on a tour level course that Kozan would have won by more, but fair play to Garrett, that's a solid showing.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

3 hours ago, aenemated said:

Lydia Ko is something like -170 in all her rounds since July if I recall the stat I saw the other day properly. 

Yall are nuts if you think another couple hundred yards is gonna make her a 4 cap 😂

Could she beat a PGA pro? Maybe sometimes. Could she beat a talented college kid? Every single day. When she was 14. 

The whole reason this convo came up was I wish someone would put together a some rounds to prove this. I'd love to see it as I know most players not on a tour would get their a** kicked. Saying all D1 golfers could beat a middle of the road LPGA player is laughable. Once you get to KO's level it is very few of them. Sure maybe a round here or there but she would crush most of them over a tournament as you know.

Edited by MUNIGRIT

3 hours ago, MUNIGRIT said:

The whole reason this convo came up was I wish someone would put together a some rounds to prove this. I'd love to see it as I know most players not on a tour would get their a** kicked. Saying all D1 golfers could beat a middle of the road LPGA player is laughable. Once you get to KO's level it is very few of them. Sure maybe a round here or there but she would crush most of them over a tournament as you know.

Oh, I know! 

I just hate this whole conversation because it diminishes women golfists. Like, it presents it as if they're out there playing putt-putt. 

There's no dude that isn't on the PGA tour that can beat Lydia Ko or Nelly Korda or Jessica Korda or Brooke Henderson or Lexi Thompson or Jin Young Ko or Danielle Kang (🖤) or Inbee Park or any number of LPGA players anyone wants to name in a 4 round tournament. None. Zero. If they could, they'd be on tour already. 

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 3

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

Men's D1 scoring avg - 73.61 (source -  https://golf.com/news/this-is-what-you-have-to-shoot-to-play-ncaa-division-i-college-golf/)

LPGA 50th in scoring - 71.063 (source - https://www.lpga.com/statistics/scoring/scoring-average)

So roughly 2.5 strokes.  Can't find anything on the avg length of a D1 men's tournament but the LPGA avg length is 6,400.  So if you yack on 600 yards (or roughly 34 yards per hole) sure the women's scores would be higher, thats a couple extra clubs.  There is no argument that the men have a length advantage most of the time, but thats the beauty of golf is that you can play the tees where appropriate that everyone has roughly the same club into a hole so, in theory, it shouldn't matter, just hit the comparable club (if the men hit an 8i 170 and the women hit a 8i 140, play the tees that make that happen).  Honestly I say let the D1 golfers play it at the yardage that the LPGA plays it and watch them beat the floor with the college kids.

Plus kinda wish this got back to YouTube golfers vs arguing semantics...  With that said, the best YT golfers I've seen are Garret and Grant (mostly Grant) from GoodGood with George Bryant in there as well, he's real good.  

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

1 minute ago, J_Tizzle said:

Men's D1 scoring avg - 73.61 (source -  https://golf.com/news/this-is-what-you-have-to-shoot-to-play-ncaa-division-i-college-golf/)

LPGA 50th in scoring - 71.063 (source - https://www.lpga.com/statistics/scoring/scoring-average)

So roughly 2.5 strokes.  Can't find anything on the avg length of a D1 men's tournament but the LPGA avg length is 6,400.  So if you yack on 600 yards (or roughly 34 yards per hole) sure the women's scores would be higher, thats a couple extra clubs.  There is no argument that the men have a length advantage most of the time, but thats the beauty of golf is that you can play the tees where appropriate that everyone has roughly the same club into a hole so, in theory, it shouldn't matter, just hit the comparable club (if the men hit an 8i 170 and the women hit a 8i 140, play the tees that make that happen).  Honestly I say let the D1 golfers play it at the yardage that the LPGA plays it and watch them beat the floor with the college kids.

Plus kinda wish this got back to YouTube golfers vs arguing semantics...  With that said, the best YT golfers I've seen are Garret and Grant (mostly Grant) from GoodGood with George Bryant in there as well, he's real good.  

George is good, but his brother Wesley is on his channel a whole lot and he's a PGA Tour winner. Luke Kwon on Good Good is better than either Garrett or Grant (though I will add they are both pretty good). Arguably Bryson has his own channel on YT as well, but he's a little different. George and Wesley did just play an 18 hole 2 man scramble and shot -19, which is er, impressive. I think BryanBros is the best channel if you want high standard golf to watch. Be it George playing with Wesley or Will Miles or Mattkins etc.

• Like 3

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

13 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

With that said, the best YT golfers I've seen are Garret and Grant (mostly Grant) from GoodGood with George Bryant in there as well, he's real good.  

I think you gotta put Tig in that conversation with the freakish length he has with seemingly little effort

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

42 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

George is good, but his brother Wesley is on his channel a whole lot and he's a PGA Tour winner. Luke Kwon on Good Good is better than either Garrett or Grant (though I will add they are both pretty good). Arguably Bryson has his own channel on YT as well, but he's a little different. George and Wesley did just play an 18 hole 2 man scramble and shot -19, which is er, impressive. I think BryanBros is the best channel if you want high standard golf to watch. Be it George playing with Wesley or Will Miles or Mattkins etc.

Yeah I always forget Wes is actually the better golfer, lol.  The BryanBros are really good for sure, I don't take anything away from them at all, and honestly, Grant kinda annoys me a little bit (he acts like an early 20's kid which I don't mind to a point), but boy sometimes in the videos it seems like Grant doesn't miss much at all, very effortless.  Like they always say, good golf is usually very boring golf. I excluded Luke just because he's actually a pro (and same with Bryson) but for sure they're better than them as well.  

42 minutes ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

I think you gotta put Tig in that conversation with the freakish length he has with seemingly little effort

Forgot about Tig after he left the channel.  He's good for sure.  Out of the GG guys he's probably at the top just due to insane length over Grant, then Garret under them.  But day in day out I'd probably think Grant shoots consistently the best scores, like I said, his ball striking is just so pure it appears.  

I'll also add I forgot about Berkshire, but he's more of a YT shorts kinda follow vs a full out YT channel.  I want to see him hit his 3i 340 and beat it around one hole.  Not follow his full round.

• Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

47 minutes ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

I will also say I watched a video of Tig's where he was getting a lesson somewhere with his driver and it was pretty cool just to see the teachers thought process and the drills he gave him to work on during the lesson.  I'd hate to carry it 320 and be scared to hit my driver (since I carry it 270 and I'm scared to hit my driver currently).  

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, J_Tizzle said:

I will also say I watched a video of Tig's where he was getting a lesson somewhere with his driver and it was pretty cool just to see the teachers thought process and the drills he gave him to work on during the lesson.  I'd hate to carry it 320 and be scared to hit my driver (since I carry it 270 and I'm scared to hit my driver currently).  

Saw that video, was a good one. Simple changes. Yeah can't imagine being able to smash it like that and leave it in the bag most of the time

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

3 minutes ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

Saw that video, was a good one. Simple changes. Yeah can't imagine being able to smash it like that and leave it in the bag most of the time

Yeah just seems like a waste.  If he wants to go pro, he's not that long for a pro, so he's gotta get it straightened out and then get everything else up to snuff.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, aenemated said:

There's no dude that isn't on the PGA tour that can beat Lydia Ko or Nelly Korda or Jessica Korda or Brooke Henderson or Lexi Thompson or Jin Young Ko or Danielle Kang (🖤) or Inbee Park or any number of LPGA players anyone wants to name in a 4 round tournament. None. Zero. If they could, they'd be on tour already. 

I think you're underestimating the distance advantage. Annika was the greatest women's player of all time and missed the cut by 4 at Colonial. LPGA vs KFT or high end D1 at 7,200+ yds isn't a fair fight and the men would win a good majority of those matches. Put them on their respective tees and the LPGA waxes them. 

38 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

So roughly 2.5 strokes.  Can't find anything on the avg length of a D1 men's tournament but the LPGA avg length is 6,400.  So if you yack on 600 yards (or roughly 34 yards per hole) sure the women's scores would be higher, thats a couple extra clubs. 

Good info, but taking a step further lets look at an actual course. Here is the ratings for TPC Summerlin, which I chose because a number of pros (men & women) live in Vegas and probably play it regularly...

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/tpcsummerlin/index.htm

From the Shriners Tees - 7,255 yds, 74.7 rating

From the Blues - 6,406, 70.3

So a college player may be 2.5 strokes worse, but are playing tees that are 4.5 strokes harder. Obviously each course is going to be different. Torrey has a 5.5 swing from the championship tees to the 6,635 yd green tees. Pebble only has a 1.8 difference but the US Open tees are only 7,075 yds vs the golds at 6,464. I don't have the time to summarize every course, but from a small sampling it looks like a 600 yd difference is roughly equivalent to 4 strokes. 

Sure, Lydia Ko or Nelly Korda may beat the median D1 golfer from any tee box. But Lydia and Nelly aren't the median pro, and I don't think they'd be able to compete with a 19 y/o Jordan Spieth or Justin Thomas, without a tee box advantage.  That's not a knock on their skill, they're absolutely filthy. It's just a physical reality.   

8 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

Yeah just seems like a waste.  If he wants to go pro, he's not that long for a pro, so he's gotta get it straightened out and then get everything else up to snuff.  

Tig is still long for a pro. He can push to nearly 200 mph ball speed and sits pretty comfortably at 185. I think PGAT average is around 168. Tig would likely be in the top 10% of the tour. 

From what I've seen, Tig is the best player, Grant the most consistent, but Garrett might have the most upside. Garret sits around 175-180 ball speed which is plenty long and his short game and shot shaping is insane. I really think he has tour level hands. He just hits far too many loose shots. His bad shots are really bad.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dutch1008 said:

Tig is still long for a pro. He can push to nearly 200 mph ball speed and sits pretty comfortably at 185. I think PGAT average is around 168. Tig would likely be in the top 10% of the tour. 

From what I've seen, Tig is the best player, Grant the most consistent, but Garrett might have the most upside. Garret sits around 175-180 ball speed which is plenty long and his short game and shot shaping is insane. I really think he has tour level hands. He just hits far too many loose shots. His bad shots are really bad.   

This is true - Garrett is RFG in scramble or over a short round at matchplay. Strokeplay he doesn't do quite so well. I do find it interesting that if he's not ahead of Grant in their one-on-ones he's close to it. I watch their matches and it feels like Grant is better, but Garrett wins at least his fair share. I think he holes a lot of long putts (like to the extent that I sometimes wonder if they're having more than one go at some of them). Then he'll miss something pretty trivial and I'm surprised. I also sometimes think about how good I could be if I played as much as they do. That definitely helps. 

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

36 minutes ago, Ty_Webb said:

This is true - Garrett is RFG in scramble or over a short round at matchplay. Strokeplay he doesn't do quite so well. I do find it interesting that if he's not ahead of Grant in their one-on-ones he's close to it. I watch their matches and it feels like Grant is better, but Garrett wins at least his fair share. I think he holes a lot of long putts (like to the extent that I sometimes wonder if they're having more than one go at some of them). Then he'll miss something pretty trivial and I'm surprised. I also sometimes think about how good I could be if I played as much as they do. That definitely helps. 

Beauty of match play. I'd guess that if Garrett and Grant consistently played stroke play, Grant would have a pretty healthy lead. Over 18 they may both end up 1 under, but Grant is going to get there with 3 birdies and two bogeys while Garrett has an eagle, 5 birdies offset by four bogeys and a double. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dutch1008 said:

Good info, but taking a step further lets look at an actual course. Here is the ratings for TPC Summerlin, which I chose because a number of pros (men & women) live in Vegas and probably play it regularly...

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/tpcsummerlin/index.htm

From the Shriners Tees - 7,255 yds, 74.7 rating

From the Blues - 6,406, 70.3

So a college player may be 2.5 strokes worse, but are playing tees that are 4.5 strokes harder. Obviously each course is going to be different. Torrey has a 5.5 swing from the championship tees to the 6,635 yd green tees. Pebble only has a 1.8 difference but the US Open tees are only 7,075 yds vs the golds at 6,464. I don't have the time to summarize every course, but from a small sampling it looks like a 600 yd difference is roughly equivalent to 4 strokes. 

Sure, Lydia Ko or Nelly Korda may beat the median D1 golfer from any tee box. But Lydia and Nelly aren't the median pro, and I don't think they'd be able to compete with a 19 y/o Jordan Spieth or Justin Thomas, without a tee box advantage.  That's not a knock on their skill, they're absolutely filthy. It's just a physical reality.   

That's my club! (Though I assure you, I am far, far, far from a pro 😂)

Honestly, distance is only a factor on a handful of holes there. #3 plays as a par 4 in the Shriners but a par 5 for us normal folks. It is REALLY tough to hit that green in 2 just by virtue of the layout. #8 is another - long par 3 with a VERY protected green. (Danielle Kang aced it on New Year's Day this year) #15, the boys are gonna get on that in 1. Hell, I watched Matthew Wolff hit 3W to about 15 feet there last year. (You can prolly find a clip of that - it was on Sunday last year). 

The biggest distance difference in terms of tees really come into play on #6 and #18. #18 Shriners tees are WAAAAY back from the blues. 

Anyway. I digress. I think the biggest difference between Annika and the gals these days is they're all a lot longer than she was. In her day, she wasn't averaging more than 250. You gotta get outta the top 120 these days to find anyone that short. You got Maria Fassi averaging 280. Nelly's around 270. That's more than sufficient distance off the tee to compete. Not saying they'd top YJS or JT but they'll definitely be taking down any D1 player. 

I really would love to watch some of the top LPGA players go up against the boys sometime, even if just an exhibition match. 

8 hours ago, Ty_Webb said:

Agree with all of the above. Grant from GG is better than Garrett. And is the only one outside of Kwon from GG who belongs in the best player on YT conversation.

The two guys from Busta Jack also could be close to getting in the convo. They are, at the very least, at Garrett's level.

The Bryan bros definitely can hang with the best of them. No surprise given what Wesley does for a living. But George is no slouch. Such a great swing.

An ironic sleeper is Kyle Berkshire. It's funny because he's so well know as a champ in PLD. But he actually plays pretty solid golf in his 9 and 18 hole course vlogs.

Micah Morris seems to be growing through some swing change pains. But when he works those out, he'll be up there too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

I don't know. I'd think he's pretty high up there in terms of driving distance compared to tour players. But your larger point stands. 320-330+ is an advantage over a lot of golfers. But a tour pro who hits consistent ropes in the 290-300 range isn't giving up any strokes to a guy who's 30+ yards longer, but lacks control.

That really is where Micah would best invest his time. Get a solid fairway finder driver swing established. He can afford to give up some yardage with his current ceiling. I actually think it was Rory in a Fore Play video who mentioned he only goes after driver a couple times each round. In that control is a much bigger premium, and worth giving up some distance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2022 at 3:10 AM, SE Gamer said:

I don't know specifics on any social media clowns, but I'd imagine they exist. And would also think the above is likely true about them. 

On the semi-inflated note of inflated egos and social media, did anyone else see the video where Garrett and Grant played a couple of HS kids at Pinehurst? Was posted fairly recently. The curious thing was that both HS guys claimed to be +4 handicaps.  

They were solid players, but there was no way either played to a +4. One was maybe right about scratch. The other played more like a 4-6 hdcp. And in the digital age it took all of 30 seconds to confirm what the eye test was seeing. Sure enough, their scoring was not representative of what one would expect to see from a +4 player. 

What I wonder is whether it was Garrett and Grant who exaggerated their opponents' skill for the sake of the video. Or if the two HS kids actually believed they were at that elite level. 

Yeah, I saw that match. I thought the same thing. After about three shots from the +4, it was obvious that he was probably a single digit guy at best.

On 11/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, SE Gamer said:

An ironic sleeper is Kyle Berkshire. It's funny because he's so well know as a champ in PLD. But he actually plays pretty solid golf in his 9 and 18 hole course vlogs.

C'mon now. Kyle isn't nearly as good a golfer as multiple time LDA champion Jamie Sadlowski is. JS has tried to make it as a professional golfer the last few years on different tours. Hasn't had any success on the tours. However he did win a sectional US Open qualifier in 2016. While the LDA guys can hit it forever in their comps it's a real huge stretch for any of them to ever make it to be a touring professional. 

• Like 1

As for the talk about youtube golf, there's been quite an explosion with the Good Good squad losing not only Micah, but surprisingly Grant left as well. 

Now there's talk of a monster collab event between Rick Shiels, Bob does Sports, Micah Morris and Grant

The Good Good channel seemed to be on top of the world when they travelled to the UK in the spring, seems like its unraveled since

Not sure if theres a specific thread to talk youtube golf, this seems to be it

On 12/12/2022 at 11:58 AM, Tpfol said:

As for the talk about youtube golf, there's been quite an explosion with the Good Good squad losing not only Micah, but surprisingly Grant left as well. 

Now there's talk of a monster collab event between Rick Shiels, Bob does Sports, Micah Morris and Grant

The Good Good channel seemed to be on top of the world when they travelled to the UK in the spring, seems like its unraveled since

Not sure if theres a specific thread to talk youtube golf, this seems to be it

Not overly surprising to see Grant go; he joined GG well after its inception and wasn't a "founding member" so-to-speak, and has his own brand/instruction/golf game to deal with. Not that the GG content isn't great (because it is) but I could see GG being a massive time suck for a multi-business-owner newlywed, all for a brand he has no vested interest in. The very recent Micah/GH/BDS video was also not surprising.

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

On 11/22/2022 at 3:50 PM, J_Tizzle said:

I’m vaguely familiar with Micah, but where did the ‘Tig’ nickname come from?  Please tell me it’s not short for Tiger. 

Love Bob Does Sports, but I think I liked it more before they became full time golfers. The Bob/Joey vs Perez format is getting stale for me. 
loved his old ‘heckling’ videos and my all time favorite it when Bob tells Joey they’re going to Riviera or somewhere nice and he ends up taking him to the crappiest course you’ve ever seen. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, bjh1 said:

when Bob tells Joey they’re going to Riviera or somewhere nice and he ends up taking him to the crappiest course you’ve ever seen. 

That one was amazing 😂