2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf in the winter

fattmossett

2 hours ago, Wham49 said:

did you swing a set of your hickories?

I played my 76’ Wilson Staffs, some old Ping Eye 2 laminate woods and a bullseye putter. I acquired all the clubs for less than $150 total. I tend to favour using classic era clubs in the winter since they are cheap and stand up well to the cold.

Since I play hickory over 100 rounds per year, playing classic in winter saves wear and tear on my favourite sets of hickory clubs. I really enjoy the classic era equipment and it is so cheap to acquire. 

Playing at 5000-5100 yards, I had a good day with a five over 75. I love this game.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I played my 76’ Wilson Staffs, some old Ping Eye 2 laminate woods and a bullseye putter. I acquired all the clubs for less than $150 total. I tend to favour using classic era clubs in the winter since they are cheap and stand up well to the cold.

Since I play hickory over 100 rounds per year, playing classic in winter saves wear and tear on my favourite sets of hickory clubs. I really enjoy the classic era equipment and it is so cheap to acquire. 

Playing at 5000-5100 yards, I had a good day with a five over 75. I love this game.

Awesome on frozen ground I use a set of Sam Snead championship irons with wooden dowel extensions, for that reason, can’t hurt them

what temp do you think is the base for hickory use? Want to get a couple more rounds in, but don’t want to hurt them

3 hours ago, Wham49 said:

Awesome on frozen ground I use a set of Sam Snead championship irons with wooden dowel extensions, for that reason, can’t hurt them

what temp do you think is the base for hickory use? Want to get a couple more rounds in, but don’t want to hurt them

I don’t mind playing the irons as long as the ground isn’t frozen. The greatest concern of mine is the original woods as they are more susceptible to damage. If you want to play them more, I would suggest playing the original irons with classic woods.

I don’t like to risk the woods if the temperature is below 45 F, others may be more adventurous. I have replica woods that stand up to just about anything and usually save my original woods for special events. Bear in mind that I play hickory over 100 rounds a year and good original woods are harder to find. I can always reshaft an iron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/11/2022 at 12:20 PM, fattmossett said:

This is my first year playing golf, so I haven't yet had the chance to play in the cold, but I've noticed the ground is already getting very hard (Oklahoma). For someone around the same area in the country, is playing feasible when it gets really cold? If not, what is the best mode of practice since I dont have a golf sim and the ranges are getting gross too.

Thanks 

You can buy some winter gear and stay warm.  I even have some winter gloves.  Oklahoma gets pretty windy though.  I will play 30's with no wind and some sun.  40-45 F is my limit if it is windy.  You may need to reach out to courses to make sure they are even open still.  If you don't have a SIM facility, I imagine a floor matt and a net is your best option, or just really focus on chipping and putting over the winter.  They tend to be the most important anyway.  

Driver: Cobra LTDX 9 degree; HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black

Fairway Wood: Taylormade M6 15 degree

Titleist u510 2 iron

Srixon ZX5 4-PW; ACCRA iSteel 115

Wedges Vokey SM9 58/54/48

Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 2 

I’m in Oklahoma as well. It all depends on wind for me during the winter. If it’s above 40* and no wind, I’ll play. 

• Like 2

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Nothing too special needed to play winter golf. Walk the course to stay warm and figure out how to dress. Everyone has their own way of keeping warm. I am huge fan of under armour compression cold-gear shirt with a Gore-Tex shell, sometime I add a layer between if needed. A warm cap, and I use mitts between shots and barehands to swing. The mitts I use have have velcro on the palms so you basically leave them on you push cart between shots.

image.png.5cb3f360a74d6d508317ea3e8aaf5608.png

When I carry I use a football style hand warmer around my waste between shots. Lots of options for these cheaper than golf specific ones.

image.png.085a53cacf1554b2759124aec1c5120c.png

As mentioned if the ground is frozen you need tees that sit on the turf.

image.png.296ba3adf6546c4ad52f5ae71e39e4d3.png

As for actually playing - once the ground freezes, you don't get to play 'normal' golf. You get big crazy bounces, so you have to account for that in shots. It is still fun though.

I can't say I have ever had a major issue with the ground being too hard for contact, but I am more of sweeper/picker and take a small divot.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 3

On 11/11/2022 at 4:05 PM, Roody said:

I'll go out and walk 18 if it's 40 degrees or above, dry, and little-to-no-wind. The little-to-no-wind being key. And get yourself some Under Armour cold layers for underneath. 

That's pretty much my winter criteria, too. I live far enough south that the temperature and/or wind chill really only eliminates a few stretches of a couple weeks here, couple weeks there in winter. Even in January/February we'll a good many days when it gets up in the 40's and 50's in the afternoon. I think there have been maybe three Februarys and one January out of nearly 30 years when I literally did not play even 9 holes for the entire month because it was so cold. 

I don't know what I'd do if I lived somewhere that I couldn't play golf at all for 3-4 months every year. Not sure I'd have even stuck with the game my first year after starting one summer. If I'd have played for just a few months then taking a long winter break I'd have probably gotten into some activity and forgotten about golf. 

We'll find out how determined my group is for this winter..

This Saturday high is 35 degrees, low of 18 degrees.. 10 mph wind

10 am tee time.. 

My group will be riding with covers and heaters.

I will be walking..

Got an email from one course that they will not open if it's below 40 degrees (something new for his year)

But I think other will still be open as long as no snow, Frost, or ICE..

2 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

10 am tee time.. 

I will be walking..

Got an email from one course that they will not open if it's below 40 degrees (something new for his year)

we are lookin gart 12 high of 20, so that may be too cold for me, looks like after this weekend will get back up to the 40, so a quick break

The right clothes make a huge difference. All those technical layers that are really thin and stretchy make cold-weather golf more fun than it used to be. 

Also get a pair of rain gloves since they go on both hands. You'll feel much warmer overall with both hands covered. 

I got a thick Titleist neck gaiter a couple of years ago and it's great for covering my neck, ears, etc. 

When it comes to the actual golf, this is the time of year when you and your foursome can agree upon some modifications to the rules. Preferred lies help a lot when the grass is dormant and smashed down. Find or make a fluffy spot to hit from. Don't play from the mud. 

Ready golf is a must too. The last thing anyone wants to do in 40-degree weather is wait around on someone else to do something. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

22 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

10 am tee time.. 

I will be walking..

Well you would move to Thule against my advice.  But I’m sure the Inuit give good advice at those temps. 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:23 PM, Wooley12 said:

PNW late day frozen heavy dew. Putts ok.  Show this pic to your super. 

icegolf.JPG.dd9b9af27ad5eba5c88e0d61a4e744d2.JPG

Totally different grasses than the ones that Southern greenskeepers are trying to protect. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Totally different grasses than the ones that Southern greenskeepers are trying to protect. 

Yep. Unique climate. Green stuff grows like kudzo here.  

Edited by Wooley12

Driver - Nike Covert VS 

3W- TaylorMade R7

7W- Hippo Final decision 21deg

Irons- 5-PW Custom fitted System 3000 Tour Hot Forged w steel shafts

Cleveland 588RTX 48deg

SW- Cleveland CG12 56deg

Putter- Ping Asner3 w std grip

Northeast Kansas here.  Getting old so not as apt to venture out in the really cold stuff as I used to be but we have our own carts with DoorWorks enclosures and propane heaters so we can keep pretty warm in about anything.

Nonetheless I also have a G-Tech battery heated hand warmer that is one of the best cold weather gear items ever and I use it for way more than just golf.

Also just ordered a pair of the FootJoy StaSof winter gloves to try.  I have had a pair of the regular FootJoy WinterSof gloves and hate 'em.  I just can't wear them to hit a golf shot.  

Hoping the new StaSof will be better.

I have a pair of the Galway Bay lined winter pants that are awesome and usually wear two FootJoy mock necks and an assortment of quarter zip pullovers.

A quilted Peter Millar vest that I picked up a few years ago is really good and I wear it constantly.

A Titleist neck gaiter works well too.

The larger size HotHands hand warmers in the pants pocket can make a big difference.

A quality knit hat is a must to keep the (bald) head and ears warm.  Titleist makes some good ones.

Been thinking about ordering one of the Ororo heated vests as well.  Have heard nothing but good things about them and it's something that would be useful for activities beyond golf.  

Now that I think about it there ain't much I don't have, use or will try to keep warm in the winter.

One of the worst parts of getting old (and that list is extensive) is being cold all the time.  

God I hate it!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Just a little south of OP in DFW....we play year round, I've even played in snow flurries once in a while.

Just layer up, we also use softer balls in the cold, learn to adjust club selection for reduced carry in cold temps

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

In the Boston area, as long as there isn't snow on the ground there are some courses open.  Most courses close once it snows but again there a few that stay open during the fall and winter.  You really need to walk in colder weather to keep warmer and combining that with layers of clothing, softer golf balls and hand warmers and it's usually fine.  Don't have any high expectations on scoring though as the ball can bounce, plug, etc anywhere on the course - I really just try to good swings, good contact and a good quiet walk.

Also I prefer Mizuno or Callaway winter golf gloves (the FJ version is too thick for my liking) combined with mittens on my Clicgear cart, and I also bring an ice pick with me in order to get a tee in the frozen ground. 

Edited by jimb6golf
  • Like 1

On 11/16/2022 at 8:58 AM, 8602081 said:

10 am tee time.. 

I will be walking..

Update:

All my buddies canceled for Saturday golf and the course that we had a tee time will not open..

It will be around 34 degrees  and 22 degrees with wind chill (about 15 mph wind).. I'm going to call around to see if any courses are open and play 9 hole..

I won't give up, but if all the courses are closed,, I don't have a choice..

Three keys to playing in cold weather: 

1) You’ve gotta walk. The blood gets flowing and you’ll be loose by the second or third hole. 
2) Gear. Mock turtleneck, golf shirt and pullover with some fleece lining is usually enough. For really cold rounds, warm socks help tremendously. 
3) don’t fart around on the greens. 

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

40 and drizzle today. I’d play anyhow, but for…..
55 and sun tomorrow! 🙂

Conflicts with college football, but this is why the DVR was invented.  

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

In cold weather I like wearing insulated golf vests that allow a little more freedom for the arms and have multiple layers underneath.

I'm not very limber even in the summer heat, so in the cooler weather I usually choke down slightly with a longer club using a 3/4 swing.

I play fewer wedges around the greens in the winter because the grass is usually dormant leaving a lot of skinny or muddy lies.  I'll play a lot of low running running shot unless the ground is muddy soft between me and the green.

That's about it for me.

On 11/11/2022 at 3:02 PM, Wham49 said:

you find what works for you, I usually wear a tight long sleeve, a golf shirt, a loose UA long sleeve and a thinner fleece, a hat, long socks and pants and have 2 hand warmers in my pockets to keep balls warm, and switch them every hole, I have thick shurpa gloves that attach to the push cart and am good to go

may favorite hole played was 2 days after christmas 2 years ago, hit a drive with a  TM 580 driver off of the 420 yard first hole, bounced till about 60 yards in, used putter for a straight uphill shot, crested it perfectly onto the green and had 3 feet for birdie. LOL

other times accidently hit it too well in the air just catches the green and have 50 yards coming back after landing on the green,  the rub of the course when it is frozen, makes for fun gambling

I play almost every month of the year in Michigan. Walking makes all the difference. I will say I hate playing when it's really windy though. It just feels so much colder and is a total grind.

I moved to Tulsa after college and that's where I learned how to play golf.  The winters were mild enough that you could normally golf every month of the year. We got snow/ice occasionally, but it would typically warm up in the 10 day forecast enough to melt away.

IMO, it's a matter of 'how cold is worth it?'  There is a big difference between 38* sunny and calm and 42* cloudy and windy. For me, there was enough good golf days in the winter for me to not get out when it was borderline miserable.  It was the exact opposite when I moved to Illinois.  If you got a day where it was warm enough to play (and the courses were open/in condition to play) in the dead of winter, it was worth it to get out.  Some years the clubs were in the basement from November to late March.

From a conditions standpoint, the biggest adjustment is playing dormant Bermuda. It usually gets pretty thin in the winter. And depending on the weather that week, can be very hard or really gunky.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I've been playing a lot of rounds in the past few weeks where the temps started out around 38-40 early in the morning and were maybe high 40s when I walked off 18. I only play in these temps if the wind is calm.

You see articles talking about a single-digit percentage distance loss for the golf ball for every 10 degree drop in temperature, etc.  What I don't see mentioned is the part of distance loss beyond the ball that is caused by the human body in colder temperatures; less flexibility, cold hands, swing restricted by heavier clothing, etc. all leading to a slower swing speed. Particularly for someone who is middle-aged or older.

I am hitting drives 30+ yards shorter and am easily a club shorter on mid/short irons at 40 degrees vs. 80 degrees. Trying not to beat myself up too much, remembering I hit it further in the summer.

Edited by Bonneville85308
  • Like 2

Winter golf is definitely a no from me today!! We have had snow and ice since Saturday with temperatures reaching a balmy -11 Celsius on Sunday into Monday which was just terrific 🥶

319393155_3254288688142754_983077626029460251_n.jpg

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Haven't been able to play the past several weeks - been sick and now the cold and snow have hit the New England area.  More snow/ rain this weekend but hope it doesn't amount to much, hoping to get out next week with any luck.  Trying to work on some swing changes but can't seem to get out there, but let's hope the weather improves.