2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Golf Grip Cost

AZGolfNut2

Golf Grip Cost  

142 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Colej said:

Always check in at golfworks. They run sales on the Royal grips, pretty regularly. 

This is really good advice. I usually delete their marketing emails, but they had Royal M Taper 360’s for $25/dz a few weeks back as well, so I keep an eye out for their grip sales because of the somewhat crazy prices right now. I got two sets of these, 12 midsize/12 standard, for $50. They’re fairly comparable to GP TV, IMO. 

I don’t play the M Tapers, but I’ll usually grip a dozen or so sets a year for personal builds or friends, so they’re good to have on hand for that kind of thing. Picked up a set of the TM TV’s last week also. 

I’m playing GP Z Cord Midsize right now, and even with a friend selling them to me at roughly his cost, I think I paid about $12/grip for 15. They last a long time for me, but $180 for grips is kinda nuts. I also switched to a compressor/masking tape a few years ago when prices started to rise. I never thought twice about slicing a new grip off when they were ~$5, but it’s definitely worth the effort at these prices. 

It’s like anything else… if you want something specific, expect to pay for it. But if you can buy them in bulk/on sale and save them for later, you can still play a good grip for a reasonable price, especially if you’re reusing them. 

All that being said, I don’t mind pay for the grip I prefer. It’s the only connection you have to a club, so you better like it. I can’t imagine being stubborn enough to not replace a worn grip because of the price, yet also dogging the options in your price range. Even the $4 knockoffs on Amazon/eBay are better than a 10 year old, crusty Tour Velvet. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ger21 said:

Star Sidewinder is very good for $8 each.

I'm currently using Star grips and couldn't be happier. I have the Tour Star (reduced taper) in oversize, which I also built up with 4 wraps of tape, almost feels like a JumboMax grip but 1/2 the price and 10x the durability! 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:13 PM, scotty_2987 said:

Actually just picked these up off of Amazon after reading some reviews. Figured why not for $26 for a set of 13. Just received them and only put one on and I actually love the way it feels. Weighed all 13 grips and all were within 1 gram and no terrible smell. They are a firmer grip with lots of texture. 

I've tried a few generic "Amazon" grips in the past, and while they look nice and feel good at first they just don't last at all. They probably use the lowest quality and cheapest materials possible to make them, hence the dirt cheap price. I guess if you change grips (or clubs) every year then that's a non-issues, but I tend to keep an iron set at least 5-7 years which means 5-7 regrip jobs @ $2/club = more than what it would have cost me to buy a more durable grip in the first place. 

I'm a bit of a weird duck but I generally change clubs every 12-18 months and I never really need to change a grip because I am onto the next one before they wear out.  However, when I no longer work at the fitting studio, I am 100% going to switch to Tour Velvets.  They are free on absolutely everybody and can last 2-3 seasons (for me that would be roughly 100 rounds) if you wash them and take care of them.  I've heard of some people making TV last close to 8 seasons using rubber cleaner meant for car tires.  I prefer Lamkin Sonars due to how soft they are but they are really only free in Cobra and Mizuno.

• Like 1

MGFA --- Making Golf Fun Again

Paradym 9* - Accra TZFive 60

Paradym 15* - Accra TZFive 70

Paradym Triple Diamond 18* - Accra TZFive 70

Cobra Tec 21* and 25* - MMT 80

Ping i525 6-UW - Modus 120

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore 54* Mid and 58* Low+ - DG Tour Issue Spinner

Bettinardi Hive Custom

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

37 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

...if you wash them and take care of them.

This is they key here because it seems an alarming number of people that whinge about the cost of grips/regripping also rarely if ever actually properly *clean* them. Not accusing anyone in this thread of course, but any time the topic has come up it seems the average player cleans them only occasionally, if at all, and barring physical wear to the grips you can easily double their life by cleaning them after every use. 

As for the original question, this kind of regular cleaning to me makes grip cost way less of an issue. Granted there is still a limit, I probably won't drop $20+ on a grip unless it will last forever (shoutout to leather grip users there). I've used TV Cords for awhile but am transitioning out them since their inconsistency in feel and shape when being built up is starting to grate on me. Standard Tour Velvets in 58R are my preference, and I just scored a bundle of ribbed ones that have the rib on the same side as the logo so I can finally play them logo down. 🤩

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I've been using the standard GP MCC grips for going on close to 15 years now. So I guess I'll continue to pay whatever those costs unless I happen to find something I like better.

I think the last time I regripped all my clubs was at the beginning of this year and the grips were around $12 each. 

I think it only seems "bad" because you do it in one lump sum every 2 years or so. If you actually break it down over time (13 grips X $12 ÷ 24 months) you're only looking at spending $6 / month on golf grips.

That is basically the same price as 1 1/2 ProV1s...

Edited by Abh159
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

This is they key here because it seems an alarming number of people that whinge about the cost of grips/regripping also rarely if ever actually properly *clean* them. Not accusing anyone in this thread of course, but any time the topic has come up it seems the average player cleans them only occasionally, if at all, and barring physical wear to the grips you can easily double their life by cleaning them after every use. 

As for the original question, this kind of regular cleaning to me makes grip cost way less of an issue. Granted there is still a limit, I probably won't drop $20+ on a grip unless it will last forever (shoutout to leather grip users there). I've used TV Cords for awhile but am transitioning out them since their inconsistency in feel and shape when being built up is starting to grate on me. Standard Tour Velvets in 58R are my preference, and I just scored a bundle of ribbed ones that have the rib on the same side as the logo so I can finally play them logo down. 🤩

Rib on the same side as the logo?!?1?!?!  That's a true unicorn!

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

Most surprising thing in this thread isn't what some people are willing to pay for grips, but rather, how infrequently some of you are actually changing grips. 

• Haha 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

I am currently using Karma Velour black and white grips that I purchased through eBay for $2.30 per grip.  So far I have no complaints with the feel and wear.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

2 minutes ago, joelco said:

Rib on the same side as the logo?!?1?!?!  That's a true unicorn!

Yeah they appear to be one-offs made for someone ages ago, NOS from a storage unit purchase it seems like. They're unused but have a little bit of that slick "old grip in storage" kind of vibe going on, kinda feeling like a broken in grip already. I was actually going to try sanding and the tire cleaner method @WristySwing swing mentioned to see if I can make them feel new again, but i'm not really bothered either way.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Bridgestone 

On 11/12/2022 at 9:13 AM, PEI_Golfer said:

This train of thought is like a word for word explanation/justification from a salesmen for the grip company...  Inflation aside, the price of grips and basic steel shafts have gone WAY above what they should cost. 

When GP NDMC came out up here ('04), they were $7.95 CDN a grip.  Today, $17.75 CDN.  A basic DG shaft was over priced at $19.99 CDN not even 10 years ago, now, $38 CDN...

Wow. A combo of inflation over 18 years (45.05%) and drop in Cdn dollar value (current is 69.24% of 2004 dollar) and you are getting whacked from both sides. If only you knew in 2004, you could have bought a couple of thousand NDMC grips and made a killing in 2022!!!

Ping G400 Max 10.5° Distanza SR

Ping G425 SFT 3 & 5, Distanza SR

Ping G30 4H R

Cleveland Launcher XL 6-PW, Projext X Catalyst 60 R

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Cleveland CBX 56° Full Face, Project X Catalyst 80 R

Evnroll ER10 34" Winn ProX 1.18 grip

Srixon Soft Feel

22 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Yeah they appear to be one-offs made for someone ages ago, NOS from a storage unit purchase it seems like. They're unused but have a little bit of that slick "old grip in storage" kind of vibe going on, kinda feeling like a broken in grip already. I was actually going to try sanding and the tire cleaner method @WristySwing swing mentioned to see if I can make them feel new again, but i'm not really bothered either way.

Sandpaper usually works wonders on golf pride rubber.  I got some NOS grips from an old school clubmaker this year and they feel like new with some sandpaper and elbow grease.

• Like 2

WITB - Persimmon, Rust, Wool, and Lead

7 minutes ago, Milfordlefty said:

Wow. A combo of inflation over 18 years (45.05%) and drop in Cdn dollar value (current is 69.24% of 2004 dollar) and you are getting whacked from both sides. If only you knew in 2004, you could have bought a couple of thousand NDMC grips and made a killing in 2022!!!

There was a guy on ebay that made a killing selling standard and midsize TV cords that were clearly heavily stocked up on pre pandemic. He was doubling and even tripling his money per grip and he sold hundreds. 

Bridgestone 

57 minutes ago, Milfordlefty said:

I'm just using today's prices, but these have been the same prices since before covid shortages.  

Justification cant be made for this.  If it could, a Civic would be costing $50k for a base model along with many other things that seem to defy.

A Revolving Door

I'm super picky on grips and very limited options for what I like. Luckily the local golf shops usually do a winter grip sale so I'll get like GP MCC+4's for a solid price. They lasted me a while so I don't mind paying full price if I had to. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I guess I'm willing to spend around $10 a grip, give or take.  I'm currently using the Lamkin Crossline Cord grip, and they aren't cheap, but they will last me a long time.  To me, the price is fine because I know how long they will last, and I can occasionally find them for a good deal on eBay.  I also have no issues going back to the standard Crossline or the UTx from Lamkin.    

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

Grips are what connect you to your golf clubs. I’ve played with buddies who have dried out grips and couldn’t figure out why other than them being cheap. Most i’ve paid for grips was around $10 dollars a grip. Whole thing including instal was around $120 which to me was fair. Ended up having them last about 2 years so was well worth the cost. Kinda like buying a fancy car and going cheap on the tires. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

On 11/12/2022 at 9:13 PM, scotty_2987 said:

Actually just picked these up off of Amazon after reading some reviews. Figured why not for $26 for a set of 13. Just received them and only put one on and I actually love the way it feels. Weighed all 13 grips and all were within 1 gram and no terrible smell. They are a firmer grip with lots of texture. 

4BB1E9BD-35A3-4761-B47A-09BF666FC908.jpeg

6AF3FDE3-8674-4B2A-9352-5890CE687A77.jpeg

A22BA0AA-82FB-4547-AB27-7FAB0403F4A3.jpeg

Got my Yamato grips delivered today.  I went with the midsize and I'd say they are accurately sized.  They are all rubber and pretty grippy, but we'll see how long they last.  Considering these are going on the backup/kid set that hasn't been changed in 20 years, I expect them to be a big upgrade.  Especially for $24/13 grips.

• Like 2

Tour Edge c721/HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX

Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 3 wood/UST Elements MK
Ping g410 4h Tensei blue, Ping g425 6h Tensei orange

Maltby TS3 6-Gap w/Nippon N.S. Pro 1050GH

SnakeEyes 685BX 52*/Callaway Jaws Raw 58Z

TP Mills Sycamore Hakd Made, flow neck pencil shaft, 342 grams, Grip Master Roo FL27

Carbon Ringo wide-flange, slant neck, 330 grams

Yep, grips are getting expensive, thanks to COVID and IDIOT leaders shutting-down the supply chain.  NOBODY in their right mind does such a harmful act, yet it was done without regard.  Grip material replenishment in manufacturing facilities still struggle hence many grip resellers are back-ordered = price increases on stock.  I can't fault store owners. 

Being very observant of my surroundings, here's an oddity; over all my years playing public and pvt courses, I have NEVER observed anyone actually wipe grips down before or after use.  They wipe club-heads.  I know some do it, just haven't seen it.

None of my friends or family wipe or wash grips either.  Result, grips become hard, greasy slippery handles. 

When I was practicing and playing a lot more, I had new grips installed every 3-4 months.  Now-a-days, I wipe them down before and after use, and wash them now-and-again.  Amazing how long they last.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

On 11/14/2022 at 6:53 AM, Valtiel said:

it seems an alarming number of people that whinge about the cost of grips/regripping also rarely if ever actually properly *clean* them. Not accusing anyone in this thread of course, but any time the topic has come up it seems the average player cleans them only occasionally, if at all, and barring physical wear to the grips you can easily double their life by cleaning them after every use. 

... I ceased being shocked by grips when I pick up a strangers club around the green and hand it to them because it happens often. Some are so slick I have no idea how the player even keeps it in their hands. I played with an older couple in their 80's visiting Phoenix and his grips had never been cleaned. I asked his permission then took my wire brush and after wetting it, scrubbed it pretty good, ran it under water again, dried it off and it was not like new but light years better. He was shocked and planned on washing all his grips that night in his hotel. 

... As much as WRX members spend on shafts and club heads or even head covers and custom ferrules, the cost of grips are almost irrelevant. Grips are the only contact we have with our clubs and I would make the argument they might be the most important equipment we own. I don't wear a glove so it is even more important for me to have some constant tack with the right feel and I have found the ST+2 Hybrid to be just about perfect. I don't even need to add masking tape under my right hand. Sure, I wish they weren't over $10 but I play 4-5 times a week and grips are the last place I would look to save any money. 

• Like 3

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

On 11/12/2022 at 8:13 PM, scotty_2987 said:

4BB1E9BD-35A3-4761-B47A-09BF666FC908.jpeg

6AF3FDE3-8674-4B2A-9352-5890CE687A77.jpeg

A22BA0AA-82FB-4547-AB27-7FAB0403F4A3.jpeg

I did the same, got the midsize, I really like them, and installed easily. They seem to be a bit more stout than some of the cheaper ones I have tried.

Yamato Grip.jpg

• Like 3

Cobra Radspeed xB Driver - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra Speedzone 4W - UST Mamiya Helium Nanocore 4F2

Cobra F9 7W

Mizuno MC Fli-Hi 4H - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919F 6-GW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Mizuno 919 SW - Rapid Taper 95 (R)

Txema JMO 60 LW 

Slighter Redmond

6 hours ago, chisag said:

... I ceased being shocked by grips when I pick up a strangers club around the green and hand it to them because it happens often. Some are so slick I have no idea how the player even keeps it in their hands. I played with an older couple in their 80's visiting Phoenix and his grips had never been cleaned. I asked his permission then took my wire brush and after wetting it, scrubbed it pretty good, ran it under water again, dried it off and it was not like new but light years better. He was shocked and planned on washing all his grips that night in his hotel. 

I've purchased used clubs like that. Yuck.

My best story was the time a guy I knew at my club left his sand wedge behind so I picked it up. The club was so old the grooves were virtually invisible. And he had the original, stock Wilson tour velvet style grip on it. The spot where his thumb rests was worn all the way down to the metal. His thumb was literally on the shaft as he gripped the wedge.

He circled back and I handed it to him and said, "You know they make replacement grips you can put on there". His reply was, "I wear a glove so it doesn't matter, all my grips get like that after a while".

Good grief!

On 11/11/2022 at 7:51 PM, golfschnell said:

If you have an air compressor in the garage for your car tires your biggest initial outlay is already paid for. 

If you have an air compressor you're starting out on the top floor. For steel shafts a hook knife, a clamp, and windex will get the job done.

I've been thinking about trying the Royal Grips I see on Golfworks and today I actually saw them in Golf Galaxy. The half-turn looking classic V. They remind me of the old GP Dual duromoter (I'm mangling that name I'm sure), they seem not bad at all for $4 each.

Royal Grip Classic V Golf Grip (golfworks.com)

TS4 8.5* - RogueElite65-X

980F 15* - EpicFW-S

915HD 17.5*,913HD 21.5* - GS95-S

913HD 24.5* - NSPro1030-S

FGTour 6-9 - Rifle5.5

Cleveland 50,56* - TTDG-W

Slotline ss385