How To Rake A Bunker Perfectly?

Some Tour pros and low-handicappers are very anal about how to rake a bunker.  They want the bunker raked so perfectly that it is impossible to distinguish it from the initial morning rake job.  Quite frankly, this is nonsense and it seems absolutely impossible.  Unless you are raking the whole bunker with the proper rake, I cannot see how you can rake it without leaving a single rut in the sand.

So far, the way I do it that makes it as clean as possible is to pull about one foot toward me with the rake, and push two feel away from me.  Sometimes I even smooth out the sand with the back of the rake head, assuming it is the cylinder-type rake.  The pushing motion throws a light layer of sand over any rut marks.

Any ideas on how to properly rake a bunker?

You should do a general raking to fill in large holes. Not sure any special technique is need for that. The the finish raking should be done with a pushing motion quickly and lightly so the top layer of sand tumbles across the resting sand and feathers out the rake marks. Not sure if that makes sense, but it’s very easy to take the quickly, without leaving the sand looking disturbed or with deep grooves. 

that said, I would prefer to get rid of rakes all together and let the be hazards again.  

• Like 1

i'll take "poorly" raked over a giant footprint any day.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-G 220 / STZ-220 : Ventus Red TR 7S or GD Tour AD TP7S or KBS TD 70g Cat 3 or Ventus Blue 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue 8HB-S

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125 S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

All I ask is for people to put their hand on the rake and at least drag it once across the spot where they just dug their feet in and hit the shot. That would be better than what 99% of people do nowadays. 

I make a habit of once a round raking the entire bunker after I finish raking my own leavings. I do that the first time I have a bunker shot in the round just to accumulate a bit of good karma. But on subsequent bunkers I just rake my own footprints and leave the ones that were there before I arrived. Sometimes I'm in 3, 4, 5 bunkers in a round and I'd be there all day if I tried to police them all.  

• Like 2

In 50+ years of playing golf, I have never heard anyone complain that a bunker was not raked well,
just that they are not raked by many golfers.     

I get that the tour has special ways to rake.  Still when you see Tour guys in bunkers, you see 
rake jobs, while smooth, don't match the original rake job.     Common rakes provided by the 
courses do a smooth enough job.   

I usually rake my mess and a little more.  Public golfers should move the ball out of a footprint,
unless you are in a competition that won't allow it.     I had a guy at my course organize to vote
against a footprint rule in Tournaments.  Then in the Club Champ he was in a nasty footprint and 
asked if he could move it.  I was in his group and reminded him what he voted for.         

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

I'll bet you don't fix any pitch-mark on the green unless it is your own.

Right. Like I said I will fix what I mess up. I am not my brother's keeper. There are entirely too many inconsiderate A*holes in the world that expect somebody else to clean up after them. My sons, when they were teens had better manners than most adults do now. I'm too old to be  babysitting for people who should know better. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

1 hour ago, Rosco1216 said:

Is it just me or is this statement worded in such a way that implies you, sir, might just be a different type of “a*hole”?image.gif.74d312263cd32ab68bc70c8b398f0ce0.gif

From your perspective I guess I am, and I'm fine with that. Everybody is an a**hole in different ways to different people and it has nothing to do with that person being an actual a**hole. It has everything to do with how different people perceive them to be solely because they don't agree with how that person thinks.

Edited by rd1959
  • Confused 1

Bunkers are hazards, don't hit it there...

How about the ID10Ts who walk in the high side of bunkers and create sand slides, then walk out the same way they came in....can't fix stu..

• Like 2

Rogue Max 9.5

Epic Speed 4w

Epic Hybrids 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

On 11/13/2022 at 2:06 PM, ArtMBgolf said:

In 50+ years of playing golf, I have never heard anyone complain that a bunker was not raked well,
just that they are not raked by many golfers.     

I get that the tour has special ways to rake.  Still when you see Tour guys in bunkers, you see 
rake jobs, while smooth, don't match the original rake job.     Common rakes provided by the 
courses do a smooth enough job.   

I usually rake my mess and a little more.  Public golfers should move the ball out of a footprint,
unless you are in a competition that won't allow it.     I had a guy at my course organize to vote
against a footprint rule in Tournaments.  Then in the Club Champ he was in a nasty footprint and 
asked if he could move it.  I was in his group and reminded him what he voted for.         

Of course the tour guys don't do anything special when they rake, cause their caddies rake for them in competition.

-----------------------------------------

I don't know if it's projecting internet tough guy, but the "no rakes!" people seem to miss the part about being in a footprint that is 6 inches deep.  People in the first tee times in a day get pristine conditions, but then the guys who come later are SOL?  By 4 pm you could have a bunker that looks like a lunar scape.  "You shouldn't hit it in the bunker."  Well, people shouldn't steal and murder and all those bad things either, yet we have police departments that are busier than a beehive, so "shouldn't" is a weak argument for something that happens a lot.  Rake the damn bunkers.

People who want them to be hazards, well, let's go back to absolutely no touching of the sand with your club until you hit your shot.  A shot is more difficult the less you can ground the club.  I trust the "need to be hazards" people are also against the rule change that allows you to ground the club in a penalty area and move loose impediments. 

But my last question is, where do you move the ball to?  Are you taking complete relief?  2 inches away from it's spot?  6?  What is complete relief?  Once you do decide that, what if the ball won't stay and keeps moving closer to the hole?  Or just rake the damn bunker and then other people don't need to worry about all this crap. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 4:40 PM, rd1959 said:

Right. Like I said I will fix what I mess up. I am not my brother's keeper. There are entirely too many inconsiderate A*holes in the world that expect somebody else to clean up after them. My sons, when they were teens had better manners than most adults do now. I'm too old to be  babysitting for people who should know better. 

Ok, so let's stipulate a couple of things: 1)you didn't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back for "showing them!", and 2)you get the moral high ground for your stance(debatable, but as I said, I'll stipulate for discussion.)

So the question is, what have you actually accomplished?  The green still has the ball mark, which will take much longer heal and possibly damage the green long term.  You've stroked your ego, but nothing has been done.

You're caring for the golf course, not being your brothers keeper.  There are plenty of instances when your stance is both correct and one which I would follow.  But this isn't it.  If enough people take your view, next thing you know you are complaining about playing a dog track with horrible conditions. 

There absolutely are too many a*holes in the world, why run the risk of adding to their number?    

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Of course the tour guys don't do anything special when they rake, cause their caddies rake for them in competition.

-----------------------------------------

I don't know if it's projecting internet tough guy, but the "no rakes!" people seem to miss the part about being in a footprint that is 6 inches deep.  People in the first tee times in a day get pristine conditions, but then the guys who come later are SOL?  By 4 pm you could have a bunker that looks like a lunar scape.  "You shouldn't hit it in the bunker."  Well, people shouldn't steal and murder and all those bad things either, yet we have police departments that are busier than a beehive, so "shouldn't" is a weak argument for something that happens a lot.  Rake the damn bunkers.

People who want them to be hazards, well, let's go back to absolutely no touching of the sand with your club until you hit your shot.  A shot is more difficult the less you can ground the club.  I trust the "need to be hazards" people are also against the rule change that allows you to ground the club in a penalty area and move loose impediments. 

But my last question is, where do you move the ball to?  Are you taking complete relief?  2 inches away from it's spot?  6?  What is complete relief?  Once you do decide that, what if the ball won't stay and keeps moving closer to the hole?  Or just rake the damn bunker and then other people don't need to worry about all this crap. 

if you remove rakes, you also don’t rake them in the morning. The argument that the morning people have it better is a complete straw man. 

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Ok, so let's stipulate a couple of things: 1)you didn't dislocate your shoulder patting yourself on the back for "showing them!", and 2)you get the moral high ground for your stance(debatable, but as I said, I'll stipulate for discussion.)

So the question is, what have you actually accomplished?  The green still has the ball mark, which will take much longer heal and possibly damage the green long term.  You've stroked your ego, but nothing has been done.

You're caring for the golf course, not being your brothers keeper.  There are plenty of instances when your stance is both correct and one which I would follow.  But this isn't it.  If enough people take your view, next thing you know you are complaining about playing a dog track with horrible conditions. 

There absolutely are too many a*holes in the world, why run the risk of adding to their number?    

I can't afford to play on great courses so all the country clubs are safe from me. 

"You didn't throw out your shoulder patting your self on the back" for "showing them", I don't try to prove anything or show that I'm better than anybody. It seems you're the one playing that game with this post.

I don't fix anyone else's ball mark. I also don't hold the door open for old ladies. In fact, if I see one coming I'll shut the door real quick, and then look them dead in the eyes as I shout "I am not my brother's keeper"!!!

Kidding of course. I always rake my bunker (including any other easy to reach areas) and fix my ball mark plus a few others I see while waiting to putt. Just seems like common courtesy, but maybe that's how I was raised...

• Like 3

I'm still pretty sure that nobody has raked a bunker since covid.

Damn shame too cause our course installed Better Billy Bunkers last spring and they'd be magnificent if not for the worthless slobs that stomp around in them and leave them that way.

As for ball marks our philosophy has always been that the group behind us shouldn't find a ball mark that they didn't make.

It's just not that hard.

Ping G425 Max 10.5 Degree Tensei Pro Orange 60 S or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G425 Five Wood  Ping Tour 65 S

Ping G425 Seven Wood Ping Tour 65 S

Ping G400 Nine Wood Ping Tour 65S

Ping G425 4 Hybrid Ping Tour 75 S

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

4 hours ago, rd1959 said:

From your perspective I guess I am, and I'm fine with that. Everybody is an a**hole in different ways to different people and it has nothing to do with that person being an actual a**hole. It has everything to do with how different people perceive them to be solely because they don't agree with how that person thinks.

Muni courses are the way they are because of people like you.  

5 hours ago, klebs01 said:

if you remove rakes, you also don’t rake them in the morning. The argument that the morning people have it better is a complete straw man. 

There isn't a self-respecting golf course on the plant that would not have the grounds crew tidy up their bunkers in the morning.