2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2023 Golf Plan

platgof

So, what are you going to do this winter to get ready for 2023? I might get shoulder surgery, not sure yet. I also plan on walking more around the block and have ordered some new rollers for my Total Gym XL. Some fat guy(me) broke one of the rollers, hmm! Ordered heavy duty ones for the upgrade. I also have stretch bands for baseball players, that has the hand grips. May also use the kettle bell as well. I cannot go to hard at it as my shoulders cannot handle an aggressive workout, nor my hips, how do I know! Plan on setting up a schedule and sticking to it. Probably will start easy and build up. I will play golf when weather permits, buy walk nine for the legs and heart, hopefully twice a week. Finished the year with a handicap of 9.5 from 17, so that will be hard to improve upon. 

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

Depending on where you live climate wise, surgery is iffy. I had an ACL and meniscus repair(8 years ago)  that I scheduled surgery for end of Oct so that by spring I would be through PT and ready to go for the summer. This was while I was living in Michigan and didn't think much of it but there are days where it's so cold you can feel it in your bones. Those days, for whatever reason, going to PT and trying to get my knee to warm up and loosen were impossible. I was in my late 20's so the whole surgery and PT wasn't too bad, but it is not something I want to do again, especially in a cold winter. 

If you don't want to go the surgery route and want to just strengthen your shoulder and areas around it, I would look around where you live for more sports specific training places. Not necessarily golf but it couldn't hurt. I know there is more info on the internet than anyone could ever read about these kinds of things but the simplicity of going to a professional and having them plan and help you makes the commitment and consistency easier. Also going to a professional, you can talk about the weaknesses you have and how to work with them and strengthen them so that either those get better or at least are less prone to injury. 

My plans are somewhat similar to yours. I walked about 90% of my rounds this summer and the covid years have altered my eating habits. Walking 9 holes 4-5 days a week will melt you away. I lost about 20 lbs - and I'm not the type who can afford to lose weight. I was burning off way more than I was taking in. On days I would walk 18 holes - between that, range warm up, stretching, etc - I was burning between 3000-3500 calories a day, which is basically a pound! Towards the end of the summer I started having shoulder and neck issues from losing that weight and muscle. Starting Monday, I'm beginning a strength and weight program that will run 12 weeks, 4 days a week. Met with nutritionist and dietician to plan out my eating habits, etc. I'll fit in any range practice or lessons where I can but all the practice doesn't mean anything if I can't keep my body strong enough to play. After the first 2 weeks of training, I'm going to start the stack system speed training in an attempt to increase swing speed as I increase strength. 

Even if my golf doesn't improve this winter skill or technique wise, just being stronger and healthier will make my game so much better and enjoyable. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 9* w/Ventus TR Blue 60

Callaway Epic Speed 15* w/Ventus Red 70

Taylormade Stealth Plus 19* w/Ventus TR Blue 80

Titleist TSR2 21* w/Tour AD-UB 80

5-PW ZX7 w/LAGP L Series

Callaway Jaws Raw 50* S Grind

Titleist Vokey SM9 54* S Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM9 60* T 

Artisan 0127 w/ LAGP TPZ 105

I'll be honest, my goals are not very sexy at all. 😁

(1) Working on Putting

I made huge strides in my putting last year but it's still not perfect. I'm really trying to put the finishing touches on my grip, stance and stroke now so I can be 100% when the 2023 season kicks into gear.

While I got a lot better about making 2-3' putts in 2022 and it brought me down to a 0-index, I still feel like my putting inside 5' leaves a lot to be desired and I need to be more confident in my setup and execution. 

(2) Evaluate Spending

I've been a member at a private club now for about 2.5 years and my bills have grown excessive. I went into membership full-bore doing all the silly stuff from playing in expensive tournaments to buying a lot of new polos and outerwear.

Some things are expected to stop, like initiation payments and stocking up on clothing, but I'll need to be very careful next year if I continue being a member. I'm actually giving serious consideration to maybe just stopping my membership altogether although that's not desirable given the many benefits I currently enjoy like the private club being 5 minutes from my home and the ability to schedule things and see the weekly tee sheet through our App. 

• Like 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Last winter I started a peloton type app and over the past 12 months I dropped 20 lbs., and I thought I only had about 15 to lose.  So I will continue that 5X/ week.

I struggled this year with hitting the ball well and, an obvious byproduct, standing over the ball believing it was going to go where I wanted it to.  So to fix that:

I am taking a series of lessons over the winter.  Every other week I will meet with pro.  Then to fill in during the two weeks we have a sim at the house so I (and my wife) have devoted to hit at least 20 shots/ day over the winter.

We are north, and have 4” of snow on the ground now, and will until March I suspect.

I am hopeful to hit the ground running in 2023.

• Like 2

Try to remember how to make a six foot putt

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Cobra RadSpeed (9°) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Cobra SpeedZone Big Tour (13.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour (17.5°) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 7X

TaylorMade Rescue 11 TP (16°) - Aldila RIP 85X

Titleist U500 (2) - Fujikura ATMOS TS Black 95X

Titleist 620CB (3-6) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist 620MB (7-9) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Titleist Vokey SM8 (48.10F, 54.12D, 60.12D) - True Temper Dynamic Gold X100

Taylormade Spider X #3

Titleist ProV1x

Fitness. 

This year, I finished too many rounds like an absolute punk the last three holes, on account of getting tired. This winter, it’s about leg strength, core strength, and cardio. 

Related to the above, in winter I tend to drink and eat too much. Can’t do that this year. 

Also not really planning much of an off season. If a course will allow play, I’m going to play, and embrace the suck. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Winter is basically here in Indiana so the ability to get out on the course will be limited. Will be back in Florida in a few weeks so I can actually get outside. But until then I'll be on the sim.

Gained almost 30 pounds last year which is a little embarassing but over 15 of it is gone again, looking to get rid of the rest. Always looking to get stronger, trying to settle into a workout routine but been difficult with school.

Most likely get some fresh wedegs for the spring season. Maybe irons, dunno, probably not.  

• Like 1

TM Qi10 (9*) | Speeder Evolution IV 661 X

TM M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

TM Stealth2+ 5w (18*) | HZRDUS Yellow 83 6.5

PXG Gen4 0311 X (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

PXG Gen4 0311 T (4) | DG X100

TM P730 (5-9) | DG X100 

TM MG3 (46.09, 54.13, 60.TW) | DG S300 

TM TP Soto CB

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

Also waiting to hear on surgery as I have a herniated C5,C6 Cervical Herniation and L4,5 Herniation thats been killing my swing this year. Get some news this coming Friday and that will determine the first few months at least... assuming all is good:

1. Getting into some new irons - hoping to pull the trigger on the ZX7 MKII irons that will work well with getting into a consistent fade (slight digger). Ball striking is my number 1 focus this year.

2. Went to a long putter Ping B90 (for the back issue but its working so well) and practice the stroke on that.

3. Get my chipping in order - need some work as my technique has gotten sloppy.

Lost 17kgs last year but cutting out sugar and carbs - so plan to keep that going and getting into a good fitness routine again once the back / neck has healed up

Plan to play 50 rounds this year again with 1-2 boys golf trips!

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

This year was my first year back after a long hiatus, played in highschool and then dropped off for whatever reason. 

My main goal through the winter (Indiana here) is to work on increasing flexibility, and overall strength. My wife got me a Birdie Ball putting mat, so I plan to really dial in putting further with consistency. 

And I'd like to get a decent little hitting mat to hit off in the garage too so the swing doesn't suffer too much. Then we have a simulator in a nearby town I'd like to go to at least every other week. 

Then shopping over the winter for some bag slots that need filled/changed 😁

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

3 hours ago, JourneyToBreak80 said:

This year was my first year back after a long hiatus, played in highschool and then dropped off for whatever reason. 

My main goal through the winter (Indiana here) is to work on increasing flexibility, and overall strength. My wife got me a Birdie Ball putting mat, so I plan to really dial in putting further with consistency. 

And I'd like to get a decent little hitting mat to hit off in the garage too so the swing doesn't suffer too much. Then we have a simulator in a nearby town I'd like to go to at least every other week. 

Then shopping over the winter for some bag slots that need filled/changed 😁

Wow Birdie Ball is still in business? Those Birdie balls were awesome. Wish I still had them. Anyway...was curious how fast or slow those Birdie Ball mats are. Just bought a cheap putting mat on Amazon but the balls roll too fast. So when i'm playing on greens that are too slow my stroke is too soft and the putt is too short.

I need to do a few things:

1. Develop a “second serve” tee shot. I’ve said this for years and have worked on it, but have never found anything with any lasting success. I’ve tried bunt drivers, 2 irons, stingers, 3/4 swing, etc. All have worked at one point or another, and all have failed to really become something I could actually rely on in a round that matters. 
2. Fix my partial wedge game. I have started to suck at this for some reason. I thin these shots a lot, or shank them. I’ve had shanks for chips and short pitches for almost 2 years now off and on. It’s mostly in remission, but still makes me more tentative on these shots than I should be, and the occasional shank on the course just permeates my setup and thoughts on all of these shots. 
3. Fix my “dumped under” swing path. This is an insidious problem. It isn’t so bad for short irons or on par 3 tee shots, but causes me to thin virtually any iron shot over 180 yards, and forget about hitting a 3w off the deck…

I’m a solid 9 cap and hoping to become a solid 5 cap. 

• Like 1

On the back end of my 2022 season I got the motivation to hit the gym again on a more regular basis. My body slowly remembered what it was like to be more mobile and active again, I saw some benefits due to muscle memory and realized how much better my game will get. Also being less fat and more flexible will do many wonders as well for my golf game and overall health. 

I'm also going to really focus on getting some lessons this off season, it looks like I'll actually have a schedule where I can fit in lessons and just focus on myself more. I had to goal of hitting single digit handicap and didn't hit it last year so 2023 I hope to. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

23 hours ago, Ifelloffladder said:

Wow Birdie Ball is still in business? Those Birdie balls were awesome. Wish I still had them. Anyway...was curious how fast or slow those Birdie Ball mats are. Just bought a cheap putting mat on Amazon but the balls roll too fast. So when i'm playing on greens that are too slow my stroke is too soft and the putt is too short.

They are! This is the mat that I got: 

https://www.birdieball.com/collections/pre-built-putting-greens/products/3-x-10-standard-package?variant=38804167426233

I opted for the medium stimp which they rate equivalent to a private club greens speed. I got medium just because I figured medium speed would translate to a better middle ground on the course. You can slow it down by brushing the grain up as well. 

Edited by JourneyToBreak80
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Mavrik 9* Kai'li White 70X

Cobra King LTDx LS 17.5* 5 Wood Motore F1 X-Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18* Hybrid HZRDUS Gen 4 Silver

Callaway Apex 4H 23*

Callaway X Forged CB 5-9 KBS $-Taper Stiff 120g

Jaws Raw 46* S, Vokey 50* F, Vokey 56* D

Odyssey White Hot OG 2 Ball Stroke Lab

Titleist Prov1x

Watch diet and join Y. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Fitness and building a "dad bag"..

Fitness, well, because I need it. I usually stick to Beach Body stuff (insanity, T25, p90x) but I'm thinking about trying something new this winter. I really want to improve my flexibility and balance. I'm thinking to mix in more yoga. Any suggestions?

The wife and I had a beautiful baby girl back in April. Parenthood has certainly been an amazing experience.. But, unfortunately, my golf game suffered a bit (as expected). I went from a 1.2 to a 5 HC fast. Any free time that I had to do any type of golf activity, I was getting out on the course playing, and not working on things at the range like I previously did. I'm looking at assembling a much more forgiving set up going into 2023 since it'll likely be the same ordeal. I'm not talking shovels/GI irons, anti slice drivers, etc.. Just something that's going to help me a bit when I am not on my game.. Whether that's a few holes or a whole round. So far, PING G400 Max is in route, looking for some i210's, maybe some CB wedges, and a higher MOI mallet putter. Topping it off with a new 14-way cart bag, too. Dad bag!

Edited by cflo2382

Had a hip replacement on my left hip today which should make rotation over that hip while lengthening easier. 4hrs after Op on my feet and don’t need the walker. 

Skills wise-50 yds and in better up and down proximity

Mental- Driving accuracy under pressure, solve the block right outcome. 
Play with being not scared of making mistakes. 

For surgery the sooner you do it the better, just gives more time for rehab.

I had a labrum repair, AC joint repair and bicep tear repair about 2 weeks after a football (American) season ended. It allowed me time to rehab and get back strength and confidence to use my shoulder without fear before the next season.

For 2023 I'm lucky enough to get to play year round but I tend to focus more on me in the winter.

1. Add more mobility exercises after my lifting sessions

2. Actually do a full dynamic warm up before working out and a full static stretch post workout. (As much as I don't want to admit it I'm getting older and need to aid recovery)

3. Go to the range twice a week (1 day full swing, 1 day wedges)

• Like 1

Bought a launch monitor. Will practice long game a lot more now that I can just go in my backyard. Plan to ingrain a move where I keep my chest down yhe entire backswing and in transition. Really going to get that compressed feeling locked in and automatic. Will also focus a ton on a super, super steady transition since that's shown to be a huge key for me to keep yhe face from being too open. 

Putting, gonna stay heavily focused on Tempo and speed on course and most practice time. Will drill in an in to out path on my mat like I did all this past year. 

Will focus on speed this offseason too. I'd love to be 5 mph faster by February. 

When March comes around and tournaments kick in, I plan to be in tip top form. 

• Like 1

I'm focussing on creating good swing habits.  First, I'd love to find an indoor rangefinder so I can monitor my distances.

I use a full-length mirror with markings and iphone video to keep my damn body "inside the barrel."  I want to try to be extreme because I slide too much back and through and hit OTT.  

Apart from that, short game--chips and pitches....which is where that rangefinder would really help me lock in the feels for distances.  And putting, of course, cementing my stroke and making practice a challenge with something on the line (like dessert) 🙂

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

20 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Bought a launch monitor. Will practice long game a lot more now that I can just go in my backyard. Plan to ingrain a move where I keep my chest down yhe entire backswing and in transition. Really going to get that compressed feeling locked in and automatic. Will also focus a ton on a super, super steady transition since that's shown to be a huge key for me to keep yhe face from being too open. 

Putting, gonna stay heavily focused on Tempo and speed on course and most practice time. Will drill in an in to out path on my mat like I did all this past year. 

Will focus on speed this offseason too. I'd love to be 5 mph faster by February. 

When March comes around and tournaments kick in, I plan to be in tip top form. 

did you get a Bag Shag?

Bag is in overhaul mode

14 minutes ago, Tim Schoch said:

I'm focussing on creating good swing habits.  First, I'd love to find an indoor rangefinder so I can monitor my distances.

I use a full-length mirror with markings and iphone video to keep my damn body "inside the barrel."  I want to try to be extreme because I slide too much back and through and hit OTT.  

Apart from that, short game--chips and pitches....which is where that rangefinder would really help me lock in the feels for distances.  And putting, of course, cementing my stroke and making practice a challenge with something on the line (like dessert) 🙂

do you bend your left knee on the takeaway?

Bag is in overhaul mode

2 hours ago, platgof said:

do you bend your left knee on the takeaway?

You mean squat?  No.  My legs are pretty solid.  It is the upper body that shifts, like I'm throwing a baseball.  

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X