Garmin R10 Questions

Longdriver295

4 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Ball speed? Even assuming 1.3 smash (probably generous) that's 96.2mph.

First image is optimizer at standard sea level with the provided metrics (96mph assumed ball speed).

Second image is with 7000rpm, all other metrics identical. 

I even set the turf to hard to get maximum roll.

Screenshot_20221113-141823.png

Screenshot_20221113-141855.png

Ball speed around around 104

The ball speed and launch angle will be 99.9% accurate. Everything else is dependent on the spin reading which may or may not be accurate.

Either way your ball speed would not support a 140yd carry with any kind of optimized spin numbers. 

Launch monitors can be humbling. Especially if you are not used to swinging indoors.

• Like 1

I'm not a regular LM user but the experience I do have is that I just swing faster on the course. I don't know why.  Over last winter I used one a few times and I had to swing out of my shoes to hit 100 club speed with driver.  Later, we played a few on-course rounds with the thing (setting it up on 4 or 5 holes) and  my swings were 98-100 with what seemed like a normal smooth swing. Distance was generally consistent with that reading.

Hit a bunch of shots indoors then take it out for a few rounds and measure your par 3 swings. I'm not sure how much dialing in this unit takes. The one we had (Swing caddie I think (?)) was stupid simple, just put it down. Better yet, take it to a par 3 course.

Edit: surely some youtuber has already done this experiment. If not, this could be your chance.

Edited by bcjim
  • Like 1

On 11/13/2022 at 10:53 AM, Longdriver295 said:

I'm new to the Garmin R10 and hit some iron Shots into my net and these numbers just doesn't add up. 73 SS but only 131 carry?? Plus Spin numbers in the 4000s?? My setup is 8ft from ball to net and about 7ft from r10 to ball. 

Was this one shot like this, two shots, ten shots,  ? ? ?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 9*                                                    MCA Diamana X'17 60X

Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4WD                                        MCA Diamana X'17 70X

Titleist TSi2 21* 7WD                                           MCA Diamana GT  80TX
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                              MCA MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101   7-P                                        .     MCA MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  50, 55, 60                           MCA MMT-125 TX (8-iron)

Betti MiNOVAi 3.0 Tour DASS Proto 35/348       Accra FXP 300

6 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

The ball speed and launch angle will be 99.9% accurate. Everything else is dependent on the spin reading which may or may not be accurate.

Either way your ball speed would not support a 140yd carry with any kind of optimized spin numbers. 

Launch monitors can be humbling. Especially if you are not used to swinging indoors.

If you loom at the pic the carry is 131 not 140 and I'm not indoors, my setup is in my backyard into net. I'm free to swing as hard as I won't with no worries

2 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

If you loom at the pic the carry is 131 not 140 and I'm not indoors, my setup is in my backyard into net. I'm free to swing as hard as I won't with no worries

You missed the entire point of my post. Outdoor into a net is the same exact thing as indoors from the perspective of the radar. The ball speed number IS accurate and it's not fast enough to give you the carry numbers you are expecting. The most likely reason is that you simply don't swing as fast or hit it as far as you think you do. The only other reason is that you are swinging slower into your net than you do on the course.

Bring the unit to the course and see how far you are hitting it there OR invite a low handicap player who can consistently hit known distances over to hit on your unit. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

One thing I noticed today is I set the Altitude on 10,000ft and the numbers were much more realistic. But you shouldn't have to do that to compensate 

if you read about the R10 this is typical. Most people have to set the altitude up to achieve accurate results. For me whatever works mine is set to 6000 ft. Remember we're taking about a $600 LM and for that price I find it to be excellent especially with GSPro.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

You missed the entire point of my post. Outdoor into a net is the same exact thing as indoors from the perspective of the radar. The ball speed number IS accurate and it's not fast enough to give you the carry numbers you are expecting. The most likely reason is that you simply don't swing as fast or hit it as far as you think you do. The only other reason is that you are swinging slower into your net than you do on the course.

Bring the unit to the course and see how far you are hitting it there OR invite a low handicap player who can consistently hit known distances over to hit on your unit. 

Just some information I'm a 3hcp and on the course I carry my 8i 135ish to a lasered 140 pin. I've got plenty of room in my backyard so I'm not holding back. This is a R10 problem not a swing problem 

1 hour ago, Longdriver295 said:

Just some information I'm a 3hcp and on the course I carry my 8i 135ish to a lasered 140 pin. I've got plenty of room in my backyard so I'm not holding back. This is a R10 problem not a swing problem 

So contact, and if necessary, send it back to Garmin and explain your situation, as you have here. I'm sure they can and will assist you with the issue.

Titleist TSR3 9*                                                    MCA Diamana X'17 60X

Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4WD                                        MCA Diamana X'17 70X

Titleist TSi2 21* 7WD                                           MCA Diamana GT  80TX
MIURA TC-201   4-6                                              MCA MMT-105TX

MIURA MB-101   7-P                                        .     MCA MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Prototype  50, 55, 60                           MCA MMT-125 TX (8-iron)

Betti MiNOVAi 3.0 Tour DASS Proto 35/348       Accra FXP 300

5 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

so you hit it 135 and your garmin said you hit it 131.....? you arent gonna get more accurate than that, and the garmin is probably right.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max

SIM2 3HL - Ventus Blue

SIM2 7wd - RDX Blue

4I - Ping Icrossover

5-GW - Ping i230

56 / 60 - Jaws Raw

Custom Mack Made Putter

On 11/15/2022 at 1:41 PM, Longdriver295 said:

But 73 SS doesn't add up to 131yds especially sayinging 104 ball speed! No way 73 SS creates 104 ball speed. 

The swing speed detection isn't nearly as accurate as ball speed. Ball speed detected by any of these radar units is as accurate as it gets. The R10 has been measured to have identical ball speeds to every high end launch monitor out there including GCQuad and Trackman. So you have the ball speed, just use your normal smash factor for the club and there you have an accurate swing speed. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

The swing speed detection isn't nearly as accurate as ball speed. Ball speed detected by any of these radar units is as accurate as it gets. The R10 has been measured to have identical ball speeds to every high end launch monitor out there including GCQuad and Trackman. So you have the ball speed, just use your normal smash factor for the club and there you have an accurate swing speed. 

So how do you calculate Smash factor and ball speed to get swing speed?

Nevermind it's ball speed divided by smash factor equals swing speed

Edited by Longdriver295

On 11/18/2022 at 6:41 AM, Longdriver295 said:

So how do you calculate Smash factor and ball speed to get swing speed?

Nevermind it's ball speed divided by smash factor equals swing speed

R10 is trash, it doesn't measure enough real metrics to give accurate calculations. If i remember, it only measures 4 (?) parameters and calculates everything else based from that. If one of those parameters isn't accurate, it will have a knock on effect onto the others that calculate from it.

I use my friend's one. I originally wanted to buy one, but glad i didn't after using his.

#1 - it's impacted by interference. Our range has a spinning air fan on each bay, and he has to turn it off to get the garmin working and reading right. not sure if it's the frequency of the electrics or air turbulence.

#2 - it misses a lot of shots, the blinking LED's always gong into chaos and sending the phone app into sleep mode.

#3 - it's really not accurate. For an 800 dollar equipment, my 200 dollar PRGR was better. Launch angle and Spin were the only factors missing, and the R10 does not calculate spin correctly whatsoever.

a full wedge between 10-12k spin, only reports back around 4k, which is wrong when you can physically see the ball rip back on landing. 6K+ driver spin from top-center face on a shot which is visibly not a spinny riser doesn't add up.

73 ss is not high and i think 130 carry is generous. more like a knock-down to go around 110 ? Could be difference in interaction if you're on a mat vs on the course. range ball vs good ball, etc. your course yardage is probably also measured by GPS, which also has a 5-10 yrd variation in accuracy.

If your ball lands near a target at 140, then yes, your feeling is correct and the reading was wrong. it's good to take the results like that with a pinch of salt and trust what you see and how you felt the strike. Better to go to a range with targets, flags, buckets, tyres if you have the option.

Callaway Rogue ST Triple D 7* - Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7-x

Cobra F9 Tour FW 3 / 4 / 5 - Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X 

Cobra RF Rev 33 4-Pw - KBS C-Taper 120 S

Cobra MiM Black Wedges - 52C 12*, 56WL 7*, 60WL 4* - KBS C-Taper 130 X  

Toulon SSM Proto 35"

Tour B X ball

Callaway Craw's Nestie 2018 Open Staff Bag.

10 minutes ago, Andygolderson said:

R10 is trash, it doesn't measure enough real metrics to give accurate calculations. If i remember, it only measures 4 (?) parameters and calculates everything else based from that. If one of those parameters isn't accurate, it will have a knock on effect onto the others that calculate from it.

I use my friend's one. I originally wanted to buy one, but glad i didn't after using his.

#1 - it's impacted by interference. Our range has a spinning air fan on each bay, and he has to turn it off to get the garmin working and reading right. not sure if it's the frequency of the electrics or air turbulence.

#2 - it misses a lot of shots, the blinking LED's always gong into chaos and sending the phone app into sleep mode.

#3 - it's really not accurate. For an 800 dollar equipment, my 200 dollar PRGR was better. Launch angle and Spin were the only factors missing, and the R10 does not calculate spin correctly whatsoever.

a full wedge between 10-12k spin, only reports back around 4k, which is wrong when you can physically see the ball rip back on landing. 6K+ driver spin from top-center face on a shot which is visibly not a spinny riser doesn't add up.

73 ss is not high and i think 130 carry is generous. more like a knock-down to go around 110 ? Could be difference in interaction if you're on a mat vs on the course. range ball vs good ball, etc. your course yardage is probably also measured by GPS, which also has a 5-10 yrd variation in accuracy.

If your ball lands near a target at 140, then yes, your feeling is correct and the reading was wrong. it's good to take the results like that with a pinch of salt and trust what you see and how you felt the strike. Better to go to a range with targets, flags, buckets, tyres if you have the option.

Ok if you say so, Since this post I've gotten it dialed in, and there's been a new update to the R10 which now uses RCT which spin is NOT calculated but Is Read. And All the issues you mentioned I've had no issues with since I've gotten it setup better and using a more Accurate software. Your opinion is your Opinion, but I'm starting to love the R10. And BTW I play off a 4hcp so I do know for most part what I'm seeing and what is happening. The R10 is now pretty spot on with my game.

• Like 1

interesting, might need to check in again with my friend. Otherwise, it's the environmental conditions causing the inaccuracies i had been experiencing. 

RCT needs a special ball though, right ? this would be mostly exclusively for indoor, unless you were to take a ton of dots and apply them on the range balls.

Callaway Rogue ST Triple D 7* - Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7-x

Cobra F9 Tour FW 3 / 4 / 5 - Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X 

Cobra RF Rev 33 4-Pw - KBS C-Taper 120 S

Cobra MiM Black Wedges - 52C 12*, 56WL 7*, 60WL 4* - KBS C-Taper 130 X  

Toulon SSM Proto 35"

Tour B X ball

Callaway Craw's Nestie 2018 Open Staff Bag.

13 minutes ago, Andygolderson said:

interesting, might need to check in again with my friend. Otherwise, it's the environmental conditions causing the inaccuracies i had been experiencing. 

RCT needs a special ball though, right ? this would be mostly exclusively for indoor, unless you were to take a ton of dots and apply them on the range balls.

Yes it's a special ball from titleist. But since that update to read spin I've put a Tiny foil dot on my ball and it's been Reading the spin a whole lot better than just a reg ball. I've got some RCT balls coming tomorrow. I've heard about interference but I've not had any and I have a metal Dog kennel right behind my net, no issues for me. I don't have any issues with the R10 going to sleep between shots, but if I'm not mistaken the update fixed that issue as well

• Like 1

On 11/22/2022 at 8:29 PM, Andygolderson said:

The R10 is radar based and experiences the same interference any radar-based launch monitor would experience. Fans in the radar window are one common source, as are fluorescent lights. But if the R10 is experiencing interference, then any and all radar based launch monitors would as well in the same situation, including the much more expensive Flightscope LMs as well as Trackman. 

As was mentioned, the R10 has had significant firmware updates since launch. Outdoors it reads (rather than calculates) spin if has more than 20 meters of ball flight. Note that environmental conditions can affect this, ie if you are in a very enclosed range, clearly the radar can't read the ball if there's an overhang that gets in-between the ball and unit that might be common with short-irons/wedges. 

Indoors it has added capability to use RCT balls (and/or metal dots) to help read spin rather than calculate. However, for indoor measurements, the metal dots do not aid in reading side-spin. The metal dots only really give accurate total/backspin numbers, so accurate alignment of the R10 unit itself is absolutely essential for getting somewhat reliable spin-axis/side-spin numbers. Even then that really is the main weakness of the R10, but hard to fault it when it's almost 1/4 the price of the next more accurate LM up. 

Edited by Simpsonia
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Simpsonia said:

The R10 is radar based and experiences the same interference any radar-based launch monitor would experience. Fans in the radar window are one common source, as are fluorescent lights. But if the R10 is experiencing interference, then any and all radar based launch monitors would as well in the same situation, including the much more expensive Flightscope LMs as well as Trackman. 

As was mentioned, the R10 has had significant firmware updates since launch. Outdoors it reads (rather than calculates) spin if has more than 20 meters of ball flight. Note that environmental conditions can affect this, ie if you are in a very enclosed range, clearly the radar can't read the ball if there's an overhang that gets in-between the ball and unit that might be common with short-irons/wedges. 

Indoors it has added capability to use RCT balls (and/or metal dots) to help read spin rather than calculate. However, for indoor measurements, the metal dots do not aid in reading side-spin. The metal dots only really give accurate total/backspin numbers, so accurate alignment of the R10 unit itself is absolutely essential for getting somewhat reliable spin-axis/side-spin numbers. Even then that really is the main weakness of the R10, but hard to fault it when it's almost 1/4 the price of the next more accurate LM up. 

I've just come to realize to me after hitting 300 shots with it, it is just not worth it (not to me). As hammer mentioned for what I want, You better off with a range finder and hit your clubs in real-time situations on the course. Sure you not gonna know spin and launch angle but you will nail down yardages to almost exact. And you will know if you hooking it or slicing it. And really to know your game that's really all you need. I'm a 4hcp and never once been on a LM until I bought the R10. Now I know why I stayed away from them. All I really wanted it for was for a little better gapping of my clubs because I've only had my new clubs a year. As for as I'm concerned a Rangefinder is the BEST tool you can have. 

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 12:59 PM, Simpsonia said:

So you have the ball speed, just use your normal smash factor for the club and there you have an accurate swing speed. 

That's just silly. You can't assume your "normal" smash factor on every swing, one of main tasks of any launch monitor is telling you how efficiently your strike has converted clubhead speed into ball speed.

If you're going to just plug in your "normal" smash factor then why not just plug in your "normal" clubhead speed and "normal" distance. You wouldn't need a launch monitor at all!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, North Butte said:

That's just silly. You can't assume your "normal" smash factor on every swing, one of main tasks of any launch monitor is telling you how efficiently your strike has converted clubhead speed into ball speed.

If you're going to just plug in your "normal" smash factor then why not just plug in your "normal" clubhead speed and "normal" distance. You wouldn't need a launch monitor at all!

As I've come to realize most people unless pros DON'T Need a LM. That's why I'm selling mine.