2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Super Stroke Wrist Lock Grip Dimensions and Impressions?

SE Gamer

With winter finally making an appearance, I've been hitting the practice putting hard in my sim room. Currently have a Kotahi Palms Up grip installed (clocked with the "fin" at around 4:30). Feels great with both a traditional and claw grip. But the groove I've found with setup and stroke makes me think the Super Stroke Wrist Lock is worth checking out.

I had some soft-ish foam laying around. So I mocked up an ugly DIY version and like it quite a bit. But before ordering the real deal, I was hoping someone might know the dimensions of the "hump" compared to the non-tapered part of the grip. Specifically interested in how far it protrudes compared to the rest of the grip. 

312710959_WristLockGrip.png.057b6072ef5ae5a425a87034bb6f7a9e.png

Would also love to hear from anyone using the wrist lock grip. Or if there's another comparable model out there I should check out. 

Thanks!

Sorry but I do not know the exact dimensions of that hump but I have used this grip on a few putters over the last few years. I found the most success/natural feel putting cross handed with a putter that is over 35" in length. With a standard length putter that hump creates an unbalanced feeling for me due to my left or right hand feeling like its holding a different grip than the other. With the longer putter I feel like I can create that forward press into my left arm with the hump and then I have a more symmetrical feeling with my hands lower on the grip. Hope that helps 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

Ping G425 Max 14.5° 

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

TaylorMade MG3 52° 

TaylorMade MG3 56°

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60° 

Odyssey White Hot Versa One

Titleist Pro V1x

6 minutes ago, 3PuttPar2 said:

Sorry but I do not know the exact dimensions of that hump but I have used this grip on a few putters over the last few years. I found the most success/natural feel putting cross handed with a putter that is over 35" in length. With a standard length putter that hump creates an unbalanced feeling for me due to my left or right hand feeling like its holding a different grip than the other. With the longer putter I feel like I can create that forward press into my left arm with the hump and then I have a more symmetrical feeling with my hands lower on the grip. Hope that helps 

No worries. I figure someone out there will come along who owns the grip and a set of calipers 🙂.

So do you prefer cross-handed, and the length was the thing you had to dial in. Or do you prefer a traditional grip, but had to change to cross hand to get the Wrist Lock to feel right? If the latter, curious if you felt the trouble in not being able to go that route is because the hump isn't large enough.

Upside for me is that I already prefer a slightly longer putter. So the length likely wouldn't need to change. 

1 hour ago, SE Gamer said:

No worries. I figure someone out there will come along who owns the grip and a set of calipers 🙂.

So do you prefer cross-handed, and the length was the thing you had to dial in. Or do you prefer a traditional grip, but had to change to cross hand to get the Wrist Lock to feel right? If the latter, curious if you felt the trouble in not being able to go that route is because the hump isn't large enough.

Upside for me is that I already prefer a slightly longer putter. So the length likely wouldn't need to change. 

I don't have a set of calipers and in true WRX fashion I have moved on form those putters with the wristlocks  🤣

I usually putt traditional and on my first go with the wristlock I did that but had to extend a putter shaft about an inch to make it more natural. Before extending I was having issues with the bump of the grip not anchoring on my wrist.

After watching Keegan Bradley putt this season I bought a used 36" putter and went cross handed which felt much more stable which was my original goal of the wristlock. I didn't have any issues with the hump not being large enough but I was also giving it a pretty solid forward press.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 MKII 9.5°

Ping G425 Max 14.5° 

Callaway UW 21° 

Srixon ZX7 4-PW 

TaylorMade MG3 52° 

TaylorMade MG3 56°

TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60° 

Odyssey White Hot Versa One

Titleist Pro V1x

On 11/14/2022 at 12:12 AM, SE Gamer said:

With winter finally making an appearance, I've been hitting the practice putting hard in my sim room. Currently have a Kotahi Palms Up grip installed (clocked with the "fin" at around 4:30). Feels great with both a traditional and claw grip. But the groove I've found with setup and stroke makes me think the Super Stroke Wrist Lock is worth checking out.

I had some soft-ish foam laying around. So I mocked up an ugly DIY version and like it quite a bit. But before ordering the real deal, I was hoping someone might know the dimensions of the "hump" compared to the non-tapered part of the grip. Specifically interested in how far it protrudes compared to the rest of the grip. 

312710959_WristLockGrip.png.057b6072ef5ae5a425a87034bb6f7a9e.png

Would also love to hear from anyone using the wrist lock grip. Or if there's another comparable model out there I should check out. 

Thanks!

The Kotahi grips are the bomb, once you get use to them. It takes about 100 practice strokes to get use to your palms facing your face. They really open up your shoulder blades

• Like 2

The width of the top of the Super Stroke Wrist lock is 1 1/2" .(Tape measure,no calipers)

I just modified my Ping PLD Tyne to a Midlock putter. Used a 6" extension and the SS Wrist Lock Grip.

Being the end of the season here, I had 9 holes with it and putted pretty good. I practice indoors daily with it and I like it.

Ultimately I'm going to buy a Evnroll Midlock. I did not want to drop $600 on a midlock and not like the putter. Got to try one at my local GT and was impressed, so I built the Ping and will hopefully groove a stroke.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

21 hours ago, 596 said:

Don't know your offset.

I use an Arm-Lock brand grip on my 42" armlock putter.  Totally deadly.  I use the armlock method and my right hand is with a claw grip.  The putter is a Ricky Johnson custom center shaft. 

I tried the Arm-Lock brand grip (AL3) model. Just couldn't get it in a place that felt even remotely normal. But it could be that it's just not 100% workable with all putters. Seemed like for the couple that I tried it on, the lie angle would have needed to be more aggressive. 

41 minutes ago, isitour said:

The width of the top of the Super Stroke Wrist lock is 1 1/2" .(Tape measure,no calipers)

I just modified my Ping PLD Tyne to a Midlock putter. Used a 6" extension and the SS Wrist Lock Grip.

Being the end of the season here, I had 9 holes with it and putted pretty good. I practice indoors daily with it and I like it.

Ultimately I'm going to buy a Evnroll Midlock. I did not want to drop $600 on a midlock and not like the putter. Got to try one at my local GT and was impressed, so I built the Ping and will hopefully groove a stroke.

Awesome, thanks! Tape measure should be good enough. We're not measuring space shuttle parts here, 🤣.

If you get a chance, could you measure the width of the non-tapered portion of the grip? I'd suspect it's around an inch. 

2 hours ago, weakputt said:

The Kotahi grips are the bomb, once you get use to them. It takes about 100 practice strokes to get use to your palms facing your face. They really open up your shoulder blades

It really is an awesome grip. Agree it takes some getting used to. I liked it for the palms up putting. But played around with it in different orientations. And ultimately landed on it being clocked in about a 4:30 orientation. With a fairly traditional grip/hold.

One thing I found I really like about it oriented like that is it works well with a claw grip. That's kind of my safety net grip if I'm feeling a little off. And I can switch back and forth between claw and traditional. With each one feeling like it's set up specifically for that type of hand placement. 

Doubt I'll be ditching it. But figure the Wrist Lock might be worth tinkering with over the winter.

2 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

Awesome, thanks! Tape measure should be good enough. We're not measuring space shuttle parts here, 🤣.

If you get a chance, could you measure the width of the non-tapered portion of the grip? I'd suspect it's around an inch. 

You are welcome!

The grip is 1" wide where the Super Stroke lettering is.

Its 1 1/2" wide at the front (or back) , non lettered sides.

Its 13 3/4 " in total length.

I was thinking about getting the Evnroll Mid Lock grip. Its 17" long I believe and the top section is supposed to be the maximum allowed by the USGA( I don't know that number). The Super Stroke is just a little short for a Midlock. I still works but the Evnroll grip is nicer.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2  10*

TaylorMade Burner Mini 13.5*

Titleist TSR2 16.5*

Ping G425 Hybrid 21*

Wilson Staff Utility 24*

Wilson D9 Forged 6-PW

Titleist SM9 50 F 54* S 58* M

Evnroll ER11v Midlock

Titleist ProV1

6 hours ago, isitour said:

You are welcome!

The grip is 1" wide where the Super Stroke lettering is.

Its 1 1/2" wide at the front (or back) , non lettered sides.

Its 13 3/4 " in total length.

I was thinking about getting the Evnroll Mid Lock grip. Its 17" long I believe and the top section is supposed to be the maximum allowed by the USGA( I don't know that number). The Super Stroke is just a little short for a Midlock. I still works but the Evnroll grip is nicer.

Thank you! Both for the measurements and the tip on the Evenroll grip. Will check it out. 

• Like 1

Looked at the Evnroll Mid Lock. Interesting that they assert the pistol portion of the grip is the max allowed. But I can't seem to find anything on clear dimensional restrictions/requirements.

Maybe I'm just not searching properly. But anything from the USGA in relation to putter grips is vague in this regard. Things like the flare can't be too dramatic and/or change slope too abruptly. 

Also looking into the GP Tour SNSR Contour. If it were oriented as the SS Wrist Lock is designed, the shape of the flare looks very similar. And may be even more beefy. Might swing by golf galaxy tomorrow and do some side-by-side comparisons between the SS Wrist Lock and GP SNSR. 

37 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Looked at the Evnroll Mid Lock. Interesting that they assert the pistol portion of the grip is the max allowed. But I can't seem to find anything on clear dimensional restrictions/requirements.

Maybe I'm just not searching properly. But anything from the USGA in relation to putter grips is vague in this regard. Things like the flare can't be too dramatic and/or change slope too abruptly. 

Also looking into the GP Tour SNSR Contour. If it were oriented as the SS Wrist Lock is designed, the shape of the flare looks very similar. And may be even more beefy. Might swing by golf galaxy tomorrow and do some side-by-side comparisons between the SS Wrist Lock and GP SNSR. 

The superstroke claw grip, turned sideways is an option if you like a shorter length grip. 

I think the wrist lock works well on a traditional length putter (with maybe an extra inch) if you putt left hand low

otherwise it’s just not long enough to get it to hit the forearm where it feels right + leave space for a trail hand low grip.

If you want to get it in your wrist you need a putter you can forward press/deloft imo 

12 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The superstroke claw grip, turned sideways is an option if you like a shorter length grip. 

Funny thing is that I had that SS claw grip for a short while. Bought it at the same time as the Kotahi grip and did some extensive testing and data tracking between the two. Didn't even think to turn it sideways, and didn't feel it was providing any unique advantage specific to using a claw hold. 

Grip length doesn't really matter so much to me, but am curious now whether the SS Claw or Mid Lock has the larger flare.

9 hours ago, biglefthander said:

I think the wrist lock works well on a traditional length putter (with maybe an extra inch) if you putt left hand low

otherwise it’s just not long enough to get it to hit the forearm where it feels right + leave space for a trail hand low grip.

If you want to get it in your wrist you need a putter you can forward press/deloft imo 

Good to know. Fortunately my putters are all a little over traditional length. I do have a slight forward press as well, so trying the wrist lock probably won't be a huge shock to my system.

3 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Funny thing is that I had that SS claw grip for a short while. Bought it at the same time as the Kotahi grip and did some extensive testing and data tracking between the two. Didn't even think to turn it sideways, and didn't feel it was providing any unique advantage specific to using a claw hold. 

Grip length doesn't really matter so much to me, but am curious now whether the SS Claw or Mid Lock has the larger flare.

Good to know. Fortunately my putters are all a little over traditional length. I do have a slight forward press as well, so trying the wrist lock probably won't be a huge shock to my system.

The midlock has the larger flare. It's larger than the wristlock too.

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1865028-evnroll-midlock-grip-comparison-to-wristlock/

• Like 1

I tested the idea by cutting a hole in a tennis ball and slipping it onto the grip. 

I have a wrist lock grip and a basic Traxion grip. The flared part is the same size. Of course they are intended for different orientations. 

I don’t think the wrist lock flare is big enough for its purpose. Maybe it’s a question of conformance to the rules. 

Edited by Snowman9000

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

5 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

I tested the idea by cutting a hole in a tennis ball and slipping it onto the grip. 

I have a wrist lock grip and a basic Traxion grip. The flared part is the same size. Of course they are intended for different orientations. 

I don’t think the wrist lock flare is big enough for its purpose. Maybe it’s a question of conformance to the rules. 

The tennis ball solution is good way to test it out. I would really love to see a USGA equipment rule that states dimensional limits to the flare. As it's written currently, it reads in a "we know it when we see it" way. 

Kind of a bummer that the flare is the same between the wrist lock and standard traxion grip. Since someone mentioned the SS Claw can be oriented that way, I pulled some screenshots of each to try to determine which flare bigger.

Full disclosure, this is really not scientific. As I can't definitively state whether the source images have identical scale. But at least from this, it actually looks like the claw flare is slightly larger and more pronounced. Threw one line along the edge of each grip for the reference point. Then another line at the widest point of each. Orange lines are identical length, and are representative of the flare on the SS Claw grip (2.0 version). Red are also identical length, but are representative of the flare on the SS Wrist Lock grip. 

1645601443_ScreenShot2022-11-17at3_38_43PM.png.6eef80f7d00ce2ab84e7db57fbb92d90.png

Thinking I may just order the Evnroll Mid Lock grip. As the other linked thread shows that it's got at least a larger and more pronounced flare than the SS Wrist Lock. And I'm guessing also larger than the SS Claw.

56 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

The tennis ball solution is good way to test it out. I would really love to see a USGA equipment rule that states dimensional limits to the flare. As it's written currently, it reads in a "we know it when we see it" way. 

Kind of a bummer that the flare is the same between the wrist lock and standard traxion grip. Since someone mentioned the SS Claw can be oriented that way, I pulled some screenshots of each to try to determine which flare bigger.

Full disclosure, this is really not scientific. As I can't definitively state whether the source images have identical scale. But at least from this, it actually looks like the claw flare is slightly larger and more pronounced. Threw one line along the edge of each grip for the reference point. Then another line at the widest point of each. Orange lines are identical length, and are representative of the flare on the SS Claw grip (2.0 version). Red are also identical length, but are representative of the flare on the SS Wrist Lock grip. 

1645601443_ScreenShot2022-11-17at3_38_43PM.png.6eef80f7d00ce2ab84e7db57fbb92d90.png

Thinking I may just order the Evnroll Mid Lock grip. As the other linked thread shows that it's got at least a larger and more pronounced flare than the SS Wrist Lock. And I'm guessing also larger than the SS Claw.

I just measured with calipers.  I used the distance from the hole in the grip cap to the peak of the bump.  Because that’s the part that matters.

Wrist lock 0.960”

Traxion Pistol GT 2.0  0.920”

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

4 minutes ago, Snowman9000 said:

I just measured with calipers.  I used the distance from the hole in the grip cap to the peak of the bump.  Because that’s the part that matters.

Wrist lock 0.960”

Traxion Pistol GT 2.0  0.920”

So virtually identical. Depending on what you're measuring, a few hundredths of an inch can matter. For a golf grip, not so much. Evnroll Mid Lock grip is looking more and more like the one to try.

@SE Gamer

I measured the center to side distance on a SS Slim 3.0, which is big but not huge.  0.670”.

I plugged the difference of roughly 0.3 into a right angle calculator.  The extra shaft lean is, wait for it, one half a degree!  🙄

727ACF45-A292-42AD-895F-F129A0F4BB1D.jpeg

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

1 minute ago, Snowman9000 said:

@SE Gamer

I measured the center to side distance on a SS Slim 3.0, which is big but not huge.  0.670”.

I plugged the difference of roughly 0.3 into a right angle calculator.  The extra shaft lean is, wait for it, one half a degree!  🙄

727ACF45-A292-42AD-895F-F129A0F4BB1D.jpeg

Awesome to run into another right triangle calculator user, lol. They sure come in handy when setting up table/miter saws. 

Seeing the data makes it more apparent that there's a mental component to grips/equipment like that. The tangible measured impact is incredibly minuscule. 

36 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Awesome to run into another right triangle calculator user, lol. They sure come in handy when setting up table/miter saws. 

Seeing the data makes it more apparent that there's a mental component to grips/equipment like that. The tangible measured impact is incredibly minuscule. 

Yeah, the only way I see it doing anything is when you put it just above the wrist.  Then it makes a more secure hold.  But as something to add shaft lean without a loft adjustment, no, I don’t see it.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

15 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

Yeah, the only way I see it doing anything is when you put it just above the wrist.  Then it makes a more secure hold.  But as something to add shaft lean without a loft adjustment, no, I don’t see it.

Ended up ordering the Evnroll Midlock grip. As the positioning I was testing is right where you describe (immediately above the wrist), and this grip appears to be the most pronounced. I don't expect it'll be anything magical. But figure trying it will scratch the itch. And either feel right, or I'll just continue to be really happy with the Kotahi grip.

4 minutes ago, SE Gamer said:

Ended up ordering the Evnroll Midlock grip. As the positioning I was testing is right where you describe (immediately above the wrist), and this grip appears to be the most pronounced. I don't expect it'll be anything magical. But figure trying it will scratch the itch. And either feel right, or I'll just continue to be really happy with the Kotahi grip.

When you get it, please measure and report back.  🤓

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Evnroll Midlock grip arrived today. Hope to blow it on tonight, and will get some pics as well. Was able to get some measurements in the interim.

Grip prior to any taper: 1"

Peak of the taper: 1.70"

Taper starts: 6.5" from the end of the grip

Grip O.A.L.: 17"

Initial impression is that it could set up quite nicely for nesting the taper right at the wrist. May even work higher up closer to a true mid-lock setup.

@Snowman9000

• Like 1

Been putting with the Mid Lock grip for a couple days now. Not sure that I prefer it to my Kotahi grip, but I do like it quite a bit.

Have tried it in both a wrist lock and mid/arm lock fashion. For me, I like it a lot more with the former placement. It indexes nicely against the wrist, without requiring an obscene amount of forward press. Feels pretty natural based on my current stroke and hand placement.

In the mid/arm lock location, it's a little awkward and just doesn't feel natural. But that may be personal to me. As the more I consider that type of putting grip/hold, the more I think that I'd need a more upright putter to make that work. As when I extend my putter length towards 40", I feel like it just pushes me too far away from the ball at setup.

Short story, I think it's a solid option. Certainly the best of the bunch for this style of grip. I'll probably put it in play next season for a round or two to see how it works out. However, I don't see it dethroning the Kotahi grip. But maybe that'll change once I get similar reps in with it.

• Like 1