Are golf shoes a waste of money for most?

44 minutes ago, sleuth said:

Lol I was trying to be nice. You're seeking sub $70 'golf' shoes that you can go hiking, biking, mow the lawn, shopping, and go to work in. 🤣

I hope you at least take them off when you go to bed 😉

So far so good, but I once couldn't remember if I'd put pants on, so who knows what the future holds.

The gray pair is at least 3 years old, maybe 4, so holding up well so far.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

11 hours ago, MattM97 said:

The great thing with golf if that it's so personal you can wear and use whatever you like within reason and rules. 

And, golf is very accepting. If you wear white golf shoes before Easter or after Labor Day, nobody says anything.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have the same problem.  I've never found a golf shoe to be comfortable for walking 18.  

Until I bought a pair of sneakers I really liked and then added "Golf Kicks" to them.  Absolutely the best thing I've ever done for walking 18.  Golf Kicks is a set of 20 screw-in golf spikes.   Place them anywhere you desire on the bottom of the shoe.  I've had them for a number of weeks and have had no problems with them.  They won't fall out but are removeable if you ruin your sneakers.  They still look brand new after many rounds of walking 18 holes.  

• Like 1

I have several pair of golf shoes that are pretty old, but still in use, they are well cared for which is why they last so long.

• Like 1

Paradym 9.5

Rogue ST Max HL 3wd (really a 4wd)

Apex Pro 21 3 & 4

Apex 21 Mixed Combo Set 5-A

Jaws 5 54* C-grind

PM Grind 2.0  58*

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

Golf shoes are generally designed to have good lateral support. 

You won't find that in very many other shoes short of a hiking shoe/boot.

And a lot of "athletic" or light weight golf shoes lack that same support.

My .02

• Like 2

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

On 11/15/2022 at 3:15 AM, jordan2240 said:

Golf shoes can be expensive, particularly if they are waterproof.  A few years ago, I started wearing waterproof trail shoes instead and have had no problems golfing in them.  Pricing was in the $70 and under range, and they are also more versatile than golf shoes in that I can also wear them while doing other activities like hiking, mowing, and shoveling light snow (not that you can't with a golf shoe, but I would think most don't).  My primary motivator in switching was that golf shoes would often seem to fit fine in the store but then start hurting my feet during a round.  I'm pretty sure I heard during one tournament that Tony Finau wears regular sneakers to play in, so if he doesn't need golf shoes, I would think most ams don't either.

So I ask, is there really a benefit to wearing a golf shoe for most golfers regardless of level of ability?  Has anyone here actually tried playing in a regular shoe vs golf shoe and found the golf shoe helps their game?

I can usually find good waterproof golf shoes for 70 and under if you look for the last years model on ebay and are willing to get different brands. I have for 7 years gotten at lest on pair of high end 2 year waterproof shoes from adidas, NB, ecco, FJ for under that amout. Just picked up the Adidas mid sg2s for 49 bucks with free shipping on a flash sale from a tip from one of our great members here

if you look you can find them, just have to be patient

• Like 2

Answering the original question, it depends on how you categorize "most".  If "most" means casual players who care more about comfort and/or style than performance then non-golf shoes or spikeless shoes are adequate.

However, most serious players whether low caps or not will only be satisfied with golf shoes with spikes.  They provide the best traction and lateral stability which are key performance characteristics a shoe needs to provide for golf.

• Like 2

I've gone through a fair few golf shoes trying to find the best fit and traction. I am bit of a nike fan boy, so I like nike golf shoes more than other brands, regardless if other brands have 'better' golf shoes.

I've finally come to a rotation which i am content with:
Winter I use Nike zoom victory tour 2's with metal spikes if wet or early morning. very comfy (zoom + react foam), full leather, waterproof and very grippy (even with rubber/soft spikes)
I just got a pair of  Zoom infinity tour next%, which feel like a great upgrade from the original zoom infinity tours, going to take them for a round in a few days and hopefully add them into the rotation.

With Spikeless, in fairly dry conditions/driving range I use Air jordan 1's G - comfy, a little more classic/stylish & waterproof

I tried footjoy traditions, on paper they looked amazing, but they just felt a bit cheap for a £100 shoe, and even though i had a pair that fit perfectly they started to crease a bit too, even with loads of after round care and shoe trees.
I also tried adidas spikeless code chaos 21 and while comfy they didnt last very long before the heel has holes in them. Also Tour360's - after a few rounds one of the spikes ripped off and also took absolutely ages to break in, and this was in the summer just felt heavy and not very breathable.

Driver - TM Stealth HD (9.7) Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li White 60

3 Wood - TM Stealth Plus Rocket (15) HZRDZ RDX Red

3 Hybrid - TM Stealth 2 Plus (19.5) KBS PGI 85

4 Hybrid - TM Stealth Plus (22.5) KBS PGI 90

Irons - TM P770 5-9 KBS Tour 120

Wedges - TM P770 PW 46.10SB - AW 51.10SB - MG3 - 54.11SB

Putter - TaylorMade TP Soto

On 11/15/2022 at 4:15 AM, jordan2240 said:

Golf shoes can be expensive, particularly if they are waterproof.

Plenty of great deals out there. I've bought two pairs of True's during Black Friday specials for half price or close to it. Carl's often has a huge selection of prior year models at great prices. Bought a pair of Nike Infinity Tours for half price right before the new models were released.

I've got 6 pairs of shoes that retail between $150-$200, and payed an average price of $100/pair.

I play early mornings almost exclusively, so waterproof is a must.

Edited by Ger21
  • Like 1

Srixon Z545 8.5° - Attas 11 7S
Honma TW747 3HL (16.5°) - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW747 7 wood - Attas 5 GoGo 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S (alternates with LW)

4-PW 2015 OnOff Forged Kuro - AMT Tour White X100 SSx2

50°-08 - Fourteen RM-4 - AMT X100
56°-10 - Fourteen RM-4 H grind - AMT X100
64°-10 - Callaway Jaws Full Toe Black - Dynamic Gold Spinner (alternates with 3 iron)

Piretti Cottonwood II, 375g - KBS GPS, P2 Aware Tour

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360

Maxfli Tour Yellow

Vessel Player III - Iridium

With the popularity of spikeless golf shoes, you definitely have a point here. They have totally blurred the lines between golf shoes and standard runners. 

All depends on the golfer on this one. myself personally I will not play without a spiked golf shoe. I have had too many slips with my trail foot to chance not using spikes. That being said I do generally practice in spikeless golf shoes. It difference isn't mindblowing but that odd time I have slipped just sticks in the back of my head.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Not sure if this is hijacking the thread, but I started using these instead of golf gloves. Last for ever and much cheaper.

image.png.656a68f1b7c5b3996ce0b018ac705ce0.png

Certainly a related topic.  Do you use these for winter or all the time?  The finger 10 gloves I use for in-season golf are pretty cheap (like all my golf equipment), but these look like they'd be great to replace the winter gloves I use once they wear out.

I'm not aware of any effect on my swing from different types of shoes. I swing pretty flat-footed and not very hard so unless I'm standing on a sideslope or pine straw or something, keeping my feet from sliding around isn't very hard for any shoe.

But in any case, playing golf year round anywhere from 3 to 6 times a week means comfort is pretty much a priority even if there were some small disadvantage to wearing comfortable shoes. And I'm a double-digit handicapper so even if I thought I might play a stroke or two better with stiff, spiked, zero-foot-motion shoes there isn't really any qualitative difference in shooting 85 as a 12hcp or shooting 87 as a 13hcp or whatever. It ain't like I'm heading out on the mini-Tours or playing in the state Amateur either way. 

So I am all about comfort. How tired I get by the end of the round, how my feet feel afterwards and how well my body can tolerate that occasional fourth day in a row playing golf. 

Of course "comfort" means waterproof golf shoes if we've had 3" of rain over the past 48 hours and I'm going to be tromping in mud for 18 holes. But more and more in recent years, I end up just not playing if it's muddy and miserable. Golf's way more fun on firm, dry turf. For me, basically any day I'd really enjoy playing golf is probably a day when running shoes are going to work just fine.

• Like 2

My golf shoes stay in my car much of the year, so they are only worn for golf. If I'm going to have extra shoes just for golf thay might as well be specifically designed for it. 

• Like 3

Rogue ST Max Graphite Design MAD
Rogue 3HL and 7 wood
Sub 70 4/5/6 949x Hybrid
Sub 70 699 Pro Black 7-GW Recoil 680 F4
Sub 70 JB Forged Wedges 54/58

Odyssey EXO Seven Slant

I feel you can definitely get more grip on the course based on shoe design. Perhaps trail shoes are similar to golf shoe bottoms? I finally jumped at some G-Fores and they have held up well for about three years now. Jordans are really comfortable but also durable in my opinion. I have hated cheap golf shoes cause I play in Oklahoma and every season is brutal. For me, the more expensive shoes last longer in brutal conditions. WORTH IT!

Not a waste at all, and at the very least, helpful in some regard with traction/stability. Now speaking in terms of necessity, I think not.

• Like 1

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I’m still fairly new at golf so maybe my opinion isn’t worth much but I think they’re worth it. I have the Nike Roshe g spikeless shoes and I love them. They were maybe $60 or so when I bought them. They definitely give better traction plus I can wear them off the course since they’re spikeless. The treads are a bit spiky but don’t have actual spikes. I used to wear vans and other sneakers and wouldn’t go back 

Tried em all. Only thing I haven't touched was anything Nike or JRDN.

My Top 3  are as follows:

1. Vibram Toe Shoes (preferably the Outdoor / Trail models) - These will forever be the most stable, comfortable, and durable shoes. If you haven't had the pleasure, I highly recommend. Use these preferably for warmer / dryer rounds but, have  played in a wide variety of conditions.

2. Puma Ignite PWR Adapt Caged - Swapped the stock spikes out for Black Widow. Puma, if I wear a shoe, is my go to for Casual, Sports, and for a time, golf. They were durable, comfortable, and looked great.

3. Ecco Biom Hybrid 2 - The workhorse shoe that is casual, spikeless, extremely comfortable and doesn't have anything impact it from the elements. 

4. True Linkswear Pro Feel - Love everything about them and use them only for drier rounds.

I've used a few more as well that deserved honorable mentions;

1. Spieth 2 - Heavy, clunky, awesome traction, goofy looking.

2. Adidas Samba Pro Golf - Extemely comfortable but had little grip and bad in elements.

3. Footjoy Carbon Pro SL - Comfy but, the outsole on mine deteriorated after maybe 10 rounds and no love from FJ about a replacement set. I wished they lasted longer.

I've played a bunch more shoes but, these stuck out. 

On 11/15/2022 at 7:55 AM, SteelieD said:

Nothing beats the Adidas Boost technology in my opinion. I walk 90% of my rounds. 

$200 Adidas spikeless for 100 rounds a year = $2 a round.

It’s a worthy investment IMO. 

I’m gonna agree with you. Ever since going to Adidas golf shoes. I’m never looking back. It’s the most comfortable golf shoes. And worth every penny. 

On 11/16/2022 at 8:20 PM, 2bGood said:

Not sure if this is hijacking the thread, but I started using these instead of golf gloves. Last forever and much cheaper.

image.png.656a68f1b7c5b3996ce0b018ac705ce0.png

Do they come in cadet? Looks like the fingers may be a touch long….

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip