Fun little test

Went to the driving range today and hit these clubs. All were 6 irons except for the Taylormade, which was a 5 iron. Just my thoughts, and I am not the best ballstriker yet I find the ss every now and thenšŸ˜, definitely the newer irons Callaway and Titleist were more ā€œforgivingā€ for a blade. The Murifield hit pretty well, and surprisingly the Wilson Staff Blade and especially the Taylormade were not nearly as harsh on mishits as the other older ones and they looked the most intimidating at address, the Taylormade was a butter knife. Unfortunately not all of them were the same length so some were too short but Iā€™m not going to mess with the shafts on all of them, Iā€™m trying to decide which sets to keep. On a very sad side note, the Taylormade 5 iron is the only club I have from that set šŸ˜­šŸ˜†. Your thoughts on these?
6F717656-5B79-44C6-AB58-0C8E9F6C7423.jpeg.b18bcdfe1bb32a1b43d0ffaadd70a9dc.jpeg

• Like 4

That's a great looking lineup!Ā  As far as thoughts, I would say keep whichever sets you like.Ā  Everyone has their own preferences, whether it's feel, or looks, or sentiment, we all have our reasons for collecting sets.Ā  Take the ones you don't like, swap them out, and try something else in their place.Ā Ā 

• Like 2

You can keep what you like best. Since I played Wilson Staff Tour blades and TM Tour Preferred for years, I would keep both Wilson sets, the TM, and the Muirfieldā€™s as a minimum. Personally, the Titlests and Callaway clubs are of less interest, you may feel differently.

Ā 

I played my 76ā€™ Wilson Staff irons yesterday and they are my favourite classic set, very playable. I would try out every set provided the shaft flex was right.Ā 

Edited by Hickory4ever
  • Like 2

I think the question is, how many sets are you looking to keep?

Ā 

I have a set of Muirfields, and I have no intention of getting rid of them. I don't have a set of the Wilson Tour Blades, but they're definitely irons worthy of any collection, so if I were you I'd hang on to them.

Ā 

The Dynapower and Colokroms are keepers as well.

Ā 

The old Acushnet Titleist I've not seen before; kind of interesting, so perhaps hang on to it? The modern Titleist blade I would probably sell. I'd be tempted to keep the Callaway blades, though, because I like the look of them, and they feel good, too.

Ā 

I've no idea what that Royal Edge iron is? Is it a Canadian maker? If you like it, hang on to it, if you don't, sell it?

Ā 

As for the Taylormades, I think the Tour Preferred TD irons (which yours looks to be) are pretty interesting irons, and would make a decent addition to any collection as they are possibly the first set to include hollow-bodied irons*. I've a set of them from 3i to SW, and added a 2i later. As well as having hollow bodies in the long irons (1i-4i), they are also cast. They came with 3 different lie angles, and a black dot on the sole indicates standard lie. I had a set as a junior, so there's a bit of a sentimental attachment to them. Not my favourite irons in my collection, but definitely ones I'll be hanging on to.

Ā 

But, yeah, the most important thing is to hang on to the ones you like!

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

I think the question is, how many sets are you looking to keep?

That is the hardest question of all! šŸ˜† Iā€™m running out of room so Iā€™m definitely splitting with some inferior sets, itā€™s harder to pick through these good ones. I am wanting an older set of Mizunos(like pro original, ms-1, ms-5) though so I have to free up some space.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, mbwannab said:

That is the hardest question of all! šŸ˜† Iā€™m running out of room so Iā€™m definitely splitting with some inferior sets, itā€™s harder to pick through these good ones. I am wanting an older set of Mizunos(like pro original, ms-1, ms-5) though so I have to free up some space.

Ā 

I feel your pain! I'm having to sell off a few sets at the moment, and it's hard to choose which ones to keep and which ones to let go.

Incidentally, I have a set of Mizuno MS-1s and Originals--actually two sets of Originals with different heads, one is the classic TP Original design and the others are the MS-11 heads but stamped "Original"--and I prefer the Originals to the MS-1s. In fact, the MS-1s I am thinking of letting go off after playing with them a little more. I'm bagging them for my next round and we'll see what happens after that.

Ā 

One other thing, I said that I thought the Taylormade iron was the TD Tour Preferred, but I can't see the TD (or T-D) stamping on the back. Is the sole stamped with "Tour Preferred"? I don't think I've seen a set without the TD stamping. That's unusual.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ā 

I feel your pain! I'm having to sell off a few sets at the moment, and it's hard to choose which ones to keep and which ones to let go.

Incidentally, I have a set of Mizuno MS-1s and Originals--actually two sets of Originals with different heads, one is the classic TP Original design and the others are the MS-11 heads but stamped "Original"--and I prefer the Originals to the MS-1s. In fact, the MS-1s I am thinking of letting go off after playing with them a little more. I'm bagging them for my next round and we'll see what happens after that.

Ā 

One other thing, I said that I thought the Taylormade iron was the TD Tour Preferred, but I can't see the TD (or T-D) stamping on the back. Is the sole stamped with "Tour Preferred"? I don't think I've seen a set without the TD stamping. That's unusual.

Yes itā€™s stamped. What is it you like more about the originals?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mbwannab said:

Yes itā€™s stamped. What is it you like more about the originals?

Ā 

Not having the TD or T惻D stamping is interesting. I've never seen that. Wonder why there's no stamping.

Ā 

As for the Originals, mostly I just prefer the head shape, but it also helps that I put longer shafts in them which fit me better.

The MS-1s have a very square toe which looks a bit funky to me in the longer irons. However, they feel great and play pretty well. If I didn't need to clear some space, I would hang on to them. They're also the only Scotch blade style head I've got.

MS-1 7i from the top:

102650273_MizunoMS-17iaddress.jpg.54f23b3dff0ee409feeff3ea5c0f312a.jpg

Long iron backs:

960391036_MizunoMS-1longironbacksbW.jpg.443b4e0057b0b9bf32ee2c9cbfb89baa.jpg

Mizuno Pro Original 6i from top:

1333432092_MizunoPro(TP)Original6iaddress.jpg.14d5c75fae1037e0862271855629e4c9.jpg

Mizuno Pro Originals from the back:

1607157967_MizunoPro(TP)Originalmidironlineup.jpg.08c7e2cd74ea3a5af964dc34e9f92945.jpg

MS-11 Mizuno Originals 5i from top:

558795320_MizunoProOriginalMS-115iaddress.jpg.bef42ae625cbce06cb53c8e752792281.jpg

MS-11 Mizuno Pro Originals in the bag:

780956491_MizunoProOriginalsMS-11sset.jpg.a96e7beda3f7bb360588cde30548e78c.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ā 

Not having the TD or T惻D stamping is interesting. I've never seen that. Wonder why there's no stamping.

Ā 

As for the Originals, mostly I just prefer the head shape, but it also helps that I put longer shafts in them which fit me better.

The MS-1s have a very square toe which looks a bit funky to me in the longer irons. However, they feel great and play pretty well. If I didn't need to clear some space, I would hang on to them. They're also the only Scotch blade style head I've got.

MS-1 7i from the top:

102650273_MizunoMS-17iaddress.jpg.54f23b3dff0ee409feeff3ea5c0f312a.jpg

Long iron backs:

960391036_MizunoMS-1longironbacksbW.jpg.443b4e0057b0b9bf32ee2c9cbfb89baa.jpg

Mizuno Pro Original 6i from top:

1333432092_MizunoPro(TP)Original6iaddress.jpg.14d5c75fae1037e0862271855629e4c9.jpg

Mizuno Pro Originals from the back:

1607157967_MizunoPro(TP)Originalmidironlineup.jpg.08c7e2cd74ea3a5af964dc34e9f92945.jpg

MS-11 Mizuno Originals 5i from top:

558795320_MizunoProOriginalMS-115iaddress.jpg.bef42ae625cbce06cb53c8e752792281.jpg

MS-11 Mizuno Pro Originals in the bag:

780956491_MizunoProOriginalsMS-11sset.jpg.a96e7beda3f7bb360588cde30548e78c.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Those look great, I love the older mizunos. Less offset the better though for me purely from a looks standpoint. Iā€™m not sure if the square toe would bother me much. Speaking of which, Powerbilt scotch blades are another set Iā€™ve been wanting, oh and Titleist box blades, and maybe Cleveland 588 MBs šŸ˜‚ I have a lot of selling and buying to do šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hickory4ever said:

Ā 

Ā 

I played my 76ā€™ Wilson Staff irons yesterday and they are my favourite classic set, very playable. I would try out every set provided the shaft flex was right.Ā 

Yes I like those, and Iā€™ve always loved the dynapowers for some reason, Iā€™m gonna have to get the shafts the right length for me so I can enjoy them a little more.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mbwannab said:

Those look great, I love the older mizunos. Less offset the better though for me purely from a looks standpoint. Iā€™m not sure if the square toe would bother me much. Speaking of which, Powerbilt scotch blades are another set Iā€™ve been wanting, oh and Titleist box blades, and maybe Cleveland 588 MBs šŸ˜‚ I have a lot of selling and buying to do šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Ā 

Yep, same here regarding the Powerbilt Scotch blades. One day I WILL own a set. The Titleist box blades are pretty nice, but I've a set of the original Titleist Tour Models (79~'80) back in the UK that I played as a junior (I got them second hand in the late Eighties), so I'm happy with that.

Ā 

About the MS-1s; after practising with them on Saturday, I thought the lies were a bit flat in the long irons, and when I checked them, I was right. After adjusting them, they look a lot better at address, and I was hitting them pretty nicely this evening at the range.

• Like 2

Those '66 Wilson DynaPowers would be the ones I'd keep. Same with the mid 80s reissue Colokroms but I would rather a original set of Colokroms if possible.

And that's just the problem with these questions is we all have such various opinions.

Ā 

For example the JN Muirfields are a fan favorite around all the vintage golf haunts I frequent online.Ā  I've had two sets of them.Ā  Just to make sure the first one wasn't faulty but I don't think I couldn't find anything appealing about those irons.Ā  I've played clubs 30 years older than those that were more forgiving!

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golferĀ 

To each their own.

Ā 

Nice sticks...I'm envious.

Ā 

One might want categories within a genre(MB blades, in this case) to have in the collection. One category for MB blades might be:

Ā 

-Longer hosel, shorter sole length, squarer toe, sharper leading edge, etc...

Ā 

Then, consider having the 'cook off' of sticks that match within a category.

Ā 

Me, the cook off would start at the range(easy), but then spend more time with real approach shots on greens(harder).Ā 

Ā 

Have fun

5 hours ago, Foozle said:

Do you mean these?20210628_113103.jpg.7d9b342e52b4cf54b5fcba5e4942e975.jpg20210628_113233.jpg.3c20a0a67c9ec0fe0008eee8e53ec882.jpg

Great irons but so are your MS11's - softest feeling irons I have ever hit! Much more so than more modern Mizuno's like Mp14 and Mp32.

Agree too with your comments on the TM Tour Preferred TD's - they sneak into my collection as the dividing line between blades and game improvement and are interesting for that reason - nice to hit too!

Ā 

Oh, my. They're exactly what I mean!Ā 

I've heard they're not easy to play, but I'm not so bothered by that. I just think they are about the purest blades around and for that reason would be fun to play.

Ā 

The MS-11s are indeed very soft. I've heard they were one of Mizuno's top-selling irons, and I'd really like to see sales numbers for the MS-11s compared to the TP-11s, TN-87s, and MP-33s. I suspect the MS-11s would come out on top.

Ā 

I have two sets of them; one are regular chrome MS-11s with Precision 5.5 shafts, and the others are the ones stamped "Original" and have a satin finish and Precision 6.0 shafts.Ā 

Ā 

I don't really need two sets, and should probably let go of the normal ones, but I can't bring myself to do it.

• Like 2

Silly me totally forgot some other models that were in the test, this hogan, haig ultra, and the Nicklaus which curiously I donā€™t see very often. Itā€™s the only club from the set that I have and it looks really good in hand. Anyone ever seen it before?

Ā 

I also feel like the Apexā€™s are a better feeling club in general than these Power Thrust models.

D9CC7891-2352-4361-8466-1014BD138CCB.jpeg.4e8bc605f8777bd1b9fefa1c865a6e4c.jpeg

8D09E217-E8E5-4AEB-964A-29E224EBF52D.jpeg.782bdf54b5a89fd1cf00cf00fbb6777d.jpeg

Ā 

16 hours ago, mbwannab said:

At least it looks nicešŸ˜‚, I wouldnā€™t mind a whole set of them

Ā 

I have a 3 to SW set of the Slazenger Jack Nicklaus Champion from around 1970, possibly even more attractive!

Ā 

image.png.7721a5a5a2cfdc3a32581292bf98c3cf.png

• Like 3

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

On 11/15/2022 at 10:16 PM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ā 

Ā 

The old Acushnet Titleist I've not seen before; kind of interesting, so perhaps hang on to it? The modern Titleist blade I would probably sell. I'd be tempted to keep the Callaway blades, though, because I like the look of them, and they feel good, too.

Ā 

I've no idea what that Royal Edge iron is? Is it a Canadian maker? If you like it, hang on to it, if you don't, sell it?

Ā 

Ā 

Evidently the Titleist are 69-72 range, I had never seen them before either so yes I will be keeping.šŸ˜

Ā 

As for the royals Iā€™m not sure, hadnt seen those before either, could be Canadian or UK? Probably end up finding out itā€™s US šŸ˜‚