2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

14 handicap desperately needing new irons pls help

ovodeano

I'm a 14 handicap looking for new irons between game improvement and player distance irons. the ones im currently eyeing are the 923 HMpro, t200, t100, 223, aoex 21, and lastly the zx5. My iron striking is a bit above average for my handicap. would love some suggestions.

You pretty much listed all of em lol. 

I'll toss the 2015 Onoff Kuro's and New Level 902OS into your mix since I didn't see those mentioned. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

12 handicap playing a similar setup to what you’re looking for. Currently playing sub70 649MB’s, Adams CMB’s, and Callaway apex TCB. 

I hit the 649’s really well for being more of a blade. They are surprisingly “forgiving” for that style head. The Adams CMB are one of my best Wrx purchases. Such a good head for being older and cheaper. They look really good, feel great, arent that hard to hit, and will probably stick around as a backup set for a while. The apex TCB’s are a little smaller head but I really don’t feel they are that scary. Have plenty of sole width, a little offset, and seem forgiving enough for a players head.

Some other heads I would look at

Callaway apex pro 21

Callaway Rogue ST

new level 902PD/OS

Sub 70 659CB/TC

Mizuno 223

Mizuno JPX 921 Tour

Srixon ZX7’s (I don’t think there’s much difference from ZX5 to ZX5, preferred the 7)

Srixon Z785

PXG 0311 Gen 5 P/T

Older Bridgestones like J15 or J40

Titleist T200(T100’s look amazing and I felt like I hit them just as well but are definitely not the most forgiving)

TM P770

Takomo 101T

Ping i500 or 525

List is all over the place. Food for thought though. 

Edited by PresTex
Added ping and fixed apex pro 21
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sheamclkel said:

You need to get fit! You wont regret it, the results of the fitting will tell you what works best for you!

@ovodeano, Law 1 of WRX: Get fit for your clubs.

(Note: This question is on the quiz when you go for WRX -Journeyman Certification😉)

In 2009, I went from stiff back to regular shafts in all my clubs. During replacement, I was surprised by all the quality irons out there. I came to the conclusion that most of the major manufacturers made at least one model of irons I could play - as long as it had the right shaft.

What you may find is that (iron model A + shaft) and (iron model B + shaft) are pretty much tied on the number data. In that case, go with the model that gives you the best feeling standing over the ball. If you don't trust the irons, they won't work very well.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I also support getting fit. 

As somebody who's the same handicap and who considers iron play to be a better part of my game, I LOVE my ZX5s. They are a perfect blend of forgiveness and feel for me. I played PING irons before moving into Srixon. I don't feel like I've given up anything on the forgiveness front.

I went in for a PXG fitting for a driver last month. It went so well that I went back the next week for an iron fitting. After hitting my baseline shots, my fitter said 'I've got my work cut out for me.'  We hit every head/shaft combo trying to dial something in. He told me at the end that my ZX5s were a really good fit for me. My numbers/dispersion were spot on.

I just lucked into the perfect fit though. I'd definitely recommend doing it on the front end.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

10 hours ago, ovodeano said:

I'm a 14 handicap looking for new irons between game improvement and player distance irons. the ones im currently eyeing are the 923 HMpro, t200, t100, 223, aoex 21, and lastly the zx5. My iron striking is a bit above average for my handicap. would love some suggestions.

Not to be disrespectful here, but I sort of cringe when I see threads like this.  What I like and feel about a certain OEM model iron set might not be what you feel or see when you have them in your own hands.  One of the fastest ways to reach buyers remorse with very expensive set of golf clubs is to buy them without hitting a lot of shots with them first.

With that said, I guess I'm being somewhat of a hypocrite because I recently bought a used SLDR mini 14 off of Ebay for $125.00 after reading some reviews. I needed a "go to" club for when my driver goes south on me. I got lucky because it turned out to be one of my top 10 best buys ever as it is almost stupid easy to hit off the tee and fairways.

I would go hit all of the clubs you listed above and come to your own conclusions pards.

As a mid cap you are working on improving your game. Accuracy, GIR, short game. 

A well fit set is more important than kind: you can game a SGI to a CB and be within a few shots score wise over time. 

Of the ones you listed, you have a fair amount of players style clubs with help: I would probably steer away from T100/223s and more T2/225s as you have listed as that's a *lot* of clubs to look at 🙂 You didn't have the P790, Ping i2xx listed. Also don't sleep on Cobra kings/MIMs etc...

A good fitter in one session probably won't get you more than a handful to try and zero in on things.

12 hours ago, sheamclkel said:

You need to get fit! You wont regret it, the results of the fitting will tell you what works best for you!

While I agree in principle, there are a lot of bad "fitters" out there at the golf shops.  Some of our members here only have GG, DSG, or PGASS available to them as fitting options.  In most of those locations your "fitting" will look more like a sales pitch at a new car lot.  

The positive side of those type fittings is getting to hit different clubs with different shafts.  But it will be off a mat indoors.

Being in Orange County, you have other options.  I would suggest looking for a Titleist or Callaway or Ping or Mizuno fitting day at a local course.  That information is available on their websites.  That will give you a chance to hit off real grass with a rep that knows a lot about the product.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, OnTheBag said:

Being in Orange County, you have other options.  I would suggest looking for a Titleist or Callaway or Ping or Mizuno fitting day at a local course.  That information is available on their websites.  That will give you a chance to hit off real grass with a rep that knows a lot about the product.  

The drawback to those is usually twofold.  First, a lot of reps don't do demo or fitting days anymore, they generally pass those off to tech reps who are often no better than your local big box retailer.  They know a little bit about shafts (this is high launch and this is low launch), the hot talking points about each head, but after you scratch off the surface, there isn't much else.  The reps busy themselves with securing new accounts, making sure their highest dollar accounts have everything they need, and playing golf at their higher end green grass accounts while dropping off a couple dozen balls for the "boys".  Second, fitting days are rarely scheduled on the same day, so you will have to deal with different balls, different turf, and different days to gauge how well you hit club A vs. club B.  Indoors eliminates all of that variation.  Of course you still might get a less than stellar fitter but it takes the elements, ball, and turf completely out of the equation and isolates the variables of head + shaft.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

We tell our customers to keep an open mind.  Not all 14 cappers are the same.  Some are better in aspects of their games, and weaker in others.  It may not be the irons holding someone back and they need extra help somewhere else.  So, a fitting, like others have said, is critical.  If they need a GI club, it'll identify what type that suits them.  Some of our customers actually needed SGI to get the most from their games right then and there, then as their ball striking improved, they moved into something a bit more demanding.  We're just there to present options on our pro's watchful eye in Hurst TX.  If it turns out their ball striking is good, we'll try to find out where their game needs the help to assist get that handicap down and more importantly, help someone enjoy the game more.

Keep in mind sometimes equipment isn't the only fix.  We'd love to sell someone something, but if they need lessons and/or an equipment tweak and not new gear, we'd rather do that and save them some cash.

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Cobra King Tour MIM's are criminally underrated - I play them now after playing Apex Pro 16's. So so forgiving, yet very consistent front and back. And they feel pretty darn good too.

Highly recommend throwing those into the mix when getting fitted.

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

I was in same handicap range as you starting this season. About a 15-17 using 2002 callaway big Bertha irons. I bought a set of Taylormade P790 irons 4-pw kbs stiff shafts. Absolutely love them, hit them great from day one! My handicap is now down to around a 10! I completely recommend these irons they are phenomenal. There geared  more towards a players iron but still forgiving. 

• Like 1

I was in the same boat as you around a 15-17 handicap to start this season. I was hitting 2002 Callaway Big Bertha huge cavity back irons. I wanted to upgrade irons and searched all around and hit most of the popular new irons. I fell in love with the Taylormade P790s. I immediately hit them good and have since lowered my handicap to about a 10 by season end. I couldn’t recommend a set of irons more highly. There geared more towards a players iron but still forgiving and would leave you room to grow into them. I find them easier to hit than my old Callaways. 

21 hours ago, ovodeano said:

1.  Are you left or right handed?
2.  What is your primary miss?  (pull, hook, pull-hook, or push, slice, push-slice)
3.  What budget, if any, have you set aside for this?

4.  What do you currently play?

5.  What do you like most about your current irons?  

Driver:  TaylorMade Sim2 Max / 10 Deg / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S / Lamkin Crossline
3W:  Titleist TSR3 HL  / 16.5 Deg / ProjectX HZRDUS Black 4g Stiff / Lamkin Crossline

7W:  Titleist TSR2  /  20.25 Deg  / Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 65 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

9W:  Titleist TSR1  /  23 Deg  /  Mitsubishi Tensei Blue AV 75 Stiff  /  Lamkin Crossline

5i - 7i:  Sub70 659CB Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

8i - GW:  Sub70 659TC Raw  /  KBS Tour-V 90 Black PVD Steel Stiff  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

SW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 55 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

LW:  Sub70 JB Forged Wedge Full Groove Raw 60 Deg  /  KBS Tour-V 130 Black PVD Steel X-Stiff 8i soft stepped  /  3* Upright  +1/4" Long  /  Lamkin Crossline Midsize

Putter:  Bell Putters Bell 410

As other say, go get fit, it's good advice.  Except, many that follow that advice end up back here complaining, not trusting the fitting and or the equipment they bought as a result of the fitting.   Best advice, if you get fit, trust your fitting.

If you're smart, next best is to hit the clubs that pique your interest at your LGS, and buy what makes you feel good.  If that doesn't work, least then you only have yourself to blame.  I fit myself.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 4
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17° 2i Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

11 hours ago, Ron Man said:

I was in the same boat as you around a 15-17 handicap to start this season. I was hitting 2002 Callaway Big Bertha huge cavity back irons. I wanted to upgrade irons and searched all around and hit most of the popular new irons. I fell in love with the Taylormade P790s. I immediately hit them good and have since lowered my handicap to about a 10 by season end. I couldn’t recommend a set of irons more highly. There geared more towards a players iron but still forgiving and would leave you room to grow into them. I find them easier to hit than my old Callaways. 

Taylormade hiring marketing bots this season?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

18 hours ago, North Butte said:

It's not clear from the OP what is the source of his or her "desperation" for new irons. If there is a specific problem you're wanting to solve with new irons, we'd need to know what that is to figure out whether a specific model might help with it.

Otherwise, if it's just that you have the hankering for new irons then go find a place where you can try a few of them and see what strikes your fancy. It's as simple as that. 

I got rid of my G425 irons w dynamic golds 105s. shaft was way too light and flexible. didn’t like how chunky the heads are. need something with  some bounce and great turf interaction for someone who tends to hit under the ball

On 11/18/2022 at 12:27 AM, ovodeano said:

If possible to and find a pro, otherwise you can really pick anything. It's the archer not the arrow 

• Like 1