Partial or full approach swings…

this is also assuming that further away requires a full shot, right ? Or has it been stated in that way ? Let's say you're 100 yards out and have the option of a full shot 56, a safety play gap wedge, or a knock down 8i. It doesn't necesarily mean that further out is a full swing.

at 180 yards you could knock down a hybrid, a long iron, or a wood.

Not sure whether this is real science and fact based study, as we're dealin with golf, people, play styles, course conditions and too many variables.

You can also play 10 balls from the same spot, just dropping and hitting and for the most part, the results will be quite different. 

Next time you play, take 2 balls, 2 clubs and play a full one vs a partial club-up. It still won't be conclusive, until you can say within 10,50 or 100 repetitions of that same scenario as to how they perform.

Then move onto another hole with the same experiment. uphill / downhill green, lie, wind, whatever.

the topic is interesting and i'm sure people have their preferences or can share experiences, however, i don't think there is any definitive conlcusion as to which is staticstically better.

This is also the concept of how things like Arccos work for their club recommendations. They take your handicap range and compare you with similar player's average statistics that hit the same average range as you do and recommend that club. Their wind compensation is terrible and the temperature deviation is also limited. It also can't see the lie you're facing or make intuative decisions based on the course layout or decide whether you should hit to the front and roll it up, or smash it to the pin and rip it back. 

There are many limitations in these kinds of studies. unfortunately, people like statistics and it persuades people to buy products or services and believe in certain theories, to be on board to buy other products or services .

pshycological for sure 😉

I guess based on this reaction, I would therefore assume to be bucketed as a "3 percenter"

TM Mini Brnr 9.5* Attas 6Rockstar 7X

TM Mini Brnr 11* Oban Kiyoshi Red O5 

Callaway Rogue Max 5W Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4

Edel SMS Pro 5-P, One Length (8i) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

RC SG-10 wedges 50, 54, 58, 62 One Length (PW) Fujikura TRAVIL 115 X

All sorts of Toulon blade putters.

XXIO premium ball.

I find one commonality with those who promote getting as close as possible. They all practice those shots regularly and have developed good technique. In Monte's first post in this thread he listed 4 issues causing that 3% to think the way they do. In my many years of playing with all ranges of players, #3 seems to be the most prevalent. I see MANY weekend golfers who have NO CLUE how to hit a partial shot with a scoring club. Those with whom I am familiar and are receptive to occasional guidance, I approach about it. They simply say they don't have the time to put into it and just had rather keep doing their thing.

For years I was in that same frame of mind. I didn't have the time or a facility that allowed that practice to take place. So I kept my layups at 100 yds. When I changed jobs, the kids got older and became able to work on this part of my game, I dove into it and now score MUCH better because of it! I use the clock method and have a list of my yardages that I keep with me for reference during all play.

All that being said, I am still not a "bomb & gouge" player. I closely research every course I am playing and take the course conditions into account at all times. I try to ALWAYS play the percentage shots when I have to guard against the "big number". But I also practice low percentage shots so that I can have the confidence that I can pull them off when the situation calls for it. I practice on really windy days and take notes so that I'm prepared when I HAVE to play in windy conditions. Doing all this homework allows me to walk onto just about any course and play to my hcp.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

On 11/22/2022 at 6:33 PM, ezra76 said:

I practice in a field with a 5gallon bucket. It was interesting when I got that PRGR. Confirmed my thousands of feel shots. My 3/4 shots with 48* went 80yds. and 56* 60yds.. The part that amazed me is after 3 balls each club every swing was either 65 or 66mph..

A field and a bucket are golf’s  two greatest pleasures in my opinion.  If every junior with the desire to play this game  had both , 99 % would never need a teacher to get around a course.  Or they’d quit.  

The field is of course the canvas.  And the bucket is a target , a method to collect and reload , it’s a chair if you’re hitting it bad and if you plan ahead it’s a lunch box.  

hit enough balls at a bucket , and you can call the visual up on course at will and it works.  Most approach shots I hit.  Are at a bucket.  Real or imagined.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The referenced stats seem to involve shots from different distances in the fairway, and thus apparently do not take into account the trouble people get into trying to get as close as possible to the hole (such trouble consisting of ending up somewhere other than the fairway, such as bunkers, ponds, patches of desert, not to mention rough) rather than laying up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

The referenced stats seem to involve shots from different distances in the fairway, and thus apparently do not take into account the trouble people get into trying to get as close as possible to the hole (such trouble consisting of ending up somewhere other than the fairway, such as bunkers, ponds, patches of desert, not to mention rough) rather than laying up.

Attempted layup shots also end up in places other than the fairway. 

• Like 1

Decade always said to go as far as possible while avoiding stroke costing areas. However, the definition of "stroke costing areas" varies quite a bit depending on the course. Sometimes sand is not a bad place to be and sometimes the rough is a terrible place to be. It all depends on the course. That is why I do my due diligence in researching every course I play as much as I can before I play. Many here don't think the rough should even be taken into consideration when playing. I played a course near St Louis several years ago right after the last US Open qualifying round was held there. I lost 4 balls that simply trickled into the rough. Couldn't have gone in more than a foot or so, but it was 4-6" deep and super thick. Couldn't find the ball unless you happened to step on it. I had two others that I DID find and you really had to take 9i or less just to get the club thorough that stuff. I also played a couple of courses in England when I was there where the rough was just about the worst place you could be! Hip deep and gorse everywhere!

Many things can cost you shots that you wouldn't normally consider. Hard slopes is another thing I have taken less club off the tee to avoid. I've played several courses that had hard slopes near the green that would kick the ball into penalty areas unless it was placed perfectly.  I will also lay back a bit further on front pin locations if I need more spin for proper ball placement. Hard to pull back a 30yd pitch to a pin tight behind a bunker.

BT

• Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize