2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Bryson, “I lost 20 pounds in a month.”

bscinstnct

1 hour ago, aenemated said:

My favorite meal at my favorite restaurant! That shank just falls right apart. 🤌🏻

And damn right I do! 

Oh man, it's been a delight. I've been dunking on Ol' Musky for years, calling him out as an utter fraud (though it goes much deeper than even I thought). Got a Slack channel with a buncha my old nerd colleagues in it and after they've all started turning, I was like "Ah, sweet vindication."

I've seen so many non-tech people being all "It's just a website! Why does it take so many people to run a web site?!" and I'm like "Just stop talking right now." 

Ive heard that Musk, a la PayPal, is looking at Tweeters global scale as launching point for a payment platform. Possibly even incorporating full banking aspects eventually. 

Fiat/traditional credit, and, as even large banks develop dollar backed crypto, he may be looking to have a global fintech platform.

Twitter recently filed registration with the Treasury Departments  Financial Crimes Enforcement Network. 

So, long term, I doubt he’s just looking at Tweeter as a just social platform. 

But, more importantly, we going to this King Tut immersive thing and I’m definitely thinking a big pasta 🍝 cheat meal after! 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, jmck said:

Man, let us schadenfreude enthusiasts have this one. We get so, so little, and this one is an all-timer.

By all means, i hate twitter. But what did you expect MtlJeff to do here? Pass up an obvious right-up-my-alley sarcastic quip? Would i even be me anymore if i did that?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

10 hours ago, jmck said:

Not gonna lie, I’ve REALLY enjoyed watching Elon pay $44 billion for the privilege of having the entire internet dunk on him as he runs Twitter into the ground. You couldn’t write a more on point parable for our present moment, and if you went back six months in time and laid out the last two weeks as they’ve happened not a person in the world would’ve believed it. Wild stuff.

Twitter will survive because everyone on it can’t help themselves and will always stay on it until the next thing. He also just reinstated the most entertaining showman.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, capking said:

Twitter will survive because everyone on it can’t help themselves and will always stay on it until the next thing. He also just reinstated the most entertaining showman.

Has it ever made more money than it spent?  Being “entertaining” can only last so long, eventually the business has to produce its own revenue and not rely on hedge funds infusing obscene amounts of phoney baloney money. Twitter is a cesspool of hate, advertising there poses a huge risk of (and almost guarantees) alienating a large portion of their audience. People go there to get angry at others, and the business spends lavishly on employees who also largely hate the company. I don’t see how the company can continue as is. 

9 hours ago, capking said:

Can't survive if the support system and cash income walks off on ya.  Elon's first mistake was buying Twatter.  His second was thinking he could play king over the workforce.  They gave him the middle finger and walked out the door.  Only people left are the H1Bs because they need to have the job to stay in the country and the broke SOBs who live paycheck to paycheck.  Expect system outages and a general decline of the entire Twitter empire in the next week.  

• Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 11/18/2022 at 9:28 PM, bscinstnct said:

So now, he goes on this big diet project, he’s avoiding bread, pasta, dairy,beans, all kinds of stuff. 

He may end up overdoing it and get all emaciated. Then what happens?

I think it's fair to say he has the discipline to stay with something and see it through, so making the change shouldn't be that hard.  I couldn't/wouldn't do it, but I'm not in his position either.

For a hockey reference, Chara has been veggie/vegan for a number of years now and his routine/changes has prolonged his career.  Depends on how far he takes it I guess.

Edited by PEI_Golfer
  • Like 1

A Revolving Door

Worst case EM contracts a chunk of the routine operations to a combination of consulting firms (Accenture, AWS, Cognizant, etc)

Be enormously expensive but then again…

he’s not paying the thousands of people who left anymore ; )

Meantime, as mentioned, it seems he has much bigger plans for Twitter than just a social platform. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

Who's Bryson?

What's Twitter?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

52 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Can't survive if the support system and cash income walks off on ya.  Elon's first mistake was buying Twatter.  His second was thinking he could play king over the workforce.  They gave him the middle finger and walked out the door.  Only people left are the H1Bs because they need to have the job to stay in the country and the broke SOBs who live paycheck to paycheck.  Expect system outages and a general decline of the entire Twitter empire in the next week.  

Are Meta and Amazon going to fail as well?

• Haha 1

Only way Amazon goes anywhere is if the government gets involved in breaking the empire into smaller independent chunks like they did with Bell and other monopolistic corporations.

Meta?  AFAIK, they actually turn a profit and aren’t nursing off someone’s teat.  I’m 65 and avoid social media apps like I try to dodge COVID and shingles.  😆  Have several privacy steps taken to actively block their tracking.

Both have recently reduced staff as well, but in a managed downsize plan.

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

18 hours ago, aenemated said:

Oh man, it's been a delight. I've been dunking on Ol' Musky for years, calling him out as an utter fraud (though it goes much deeper than even I thought). Got a Slack channel with a buncha my old nerd colleagues in it and after they've all started turning, I was like "Ah, sweet vindication."

I've seen so many non-tech people being all "It's just a website! Why does it take so many people to run a web site?!" and I'm like "Just stop talking right now." 

17 hours ago, jmck said:

Oh yeah, it's been fantastic.  I'm no longer in that field, but I was back when Musk was just a wee babe, lying about earning his degree (just like Bryson, lololol, gotta stay on topic here). 

When someone asks me about it, I either explain to them that all this crap is so fragile that a surprisingly large percentage of internet security is handled by a camera pointed at 100 lava lamps (like, literally, not figurately), or I just send them this XKCD and tell them that, in addition to the internet as a whole, it applies to every website/app they've ever used.  And Musk didn't just get rid of that one guy, he got rid of everyone who knew the name of that one guy, where he lives, how to get in touch with him and so on--that one guy's team, his direct reports, that one guy's manager, that manager's manager, everyone, all gone.  This guy cannot be reached, and no one knows how to fix the thing he was in charge of fixing, and they won't even know what that thing is until it breaks.  Then multiply that by everything, in every department. 

You don't get rid of 90% of your institutional knowledge overnight and have anything left behind that even remotely resembles a going concern.  It's just simply not possible, no matter how many sycophants have told you you're a super DUPER genius.

spacer.png

Man, the beers we could have over riffing on this topic, lol. Without going into too much detail (because really who TF cares hah) i've been in creative forms of software development for more than a decade now. Our team in the last couple years built our own hosting platform to hopefully future-proof ourselves and not be reliant on the existing services (Steam/Valve in this case) and while i'm more of the art/design/sound guy I do know enough to be dangerous and can effectively fumble my way around C++ enough to be helpful. Therefore I have to take deep breaths when the people that I (and we) know have little to no experience in how generally complex and interconnected all this s*** is make sweeping generalizations and pedestalize people like Musk. We've ALL worked with versions of him before, a somewhat intelligent person who thinks his intelligence can transfer 1:1 to whatever thing he's working on that we watch step on every single mousetrap as he attempts to do so while overconfidently claiming he knows what he's doing and can definitely figure it out. 😅

That XKCD comic hits home in my world as well, and we've happily watched some of our competitors freely trip over their dicks kicking out those thanklessly maintained supports in the name of optimization and "cleaning up the codebase", and it is massively entertaining to watch Musk literally tweet about doing this in real time. 🤣 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 20* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 11/18/2022 at 8:28 PM, bscinstnct said:

My amateur psychologist says…

BD got serious ADD issues or the like. He needs these enormous projects and overhauls in order to keep focus on all kinds of things besides just straight up golf.

So now, he goes on this big diet project, he’s avoiding bread, pasta, dairy,beans, all kinds of stuff. 

He may end up overdoing it and get all emaciated. Then what happens?

You lose your mind and go out eat a huge plate of fettuccine alfredo, a loaf of bread, and three pieces of tiramisu 🤣

Im a big proponent of getting most calories from whole foods. 

But it’s really just macros and calorie count that are key. No need to deny entire categories of food that are enjoyable and satisfying. Per my avatar ; )

Somehow I identify with that first Part.  Turrible it is. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Who cares ?  The earth will give a concerted sigh of relief out of reflex if that happens.  It’s always been a net negative 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

37 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Only way Amazon goes anywhere is if the government gets involved in breaking the empire into smaller independent chunks like they did with Bell and other monopolistic corporations.

Meta?  AFAIK, they actually turn a profit and aren’t nursing off someone’s teat.  I’m 65 and avoid social media apps like I try to dodge COVID and shingles.  😆  Have several privacy steps taken to actively block their tracking.

Both have recently reduced staff as well, but in a managed downsize plan.

I was referencing this haha, but it’s not crazy different. Both companies values have been in a nosedive as well.

I also don’t have social media, this is as close as it gets. I think I was still on Twitter one month into Covid and had to delete it and maybe 1 month after that stopped watching the news. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Who cares ?  The earth will give a concerted sigh of relief out of reflex if that happens.  It’s always been a net negative 

I’m on your side!  Waiting for the steaming crater of musk smelling wreckage and smoking server farms.

• Haha 4

TM Spider GT-X putter

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

The idea with Twitter was to democratize access to the truth in real time.

Knowlege and proof of injustices, of mass violence toward populations, of any true issue of importance

can instantly be communicated to the four corners of the globe and, equally as importantly, be discussed and debated, and action can be taken. 

where previously the pipelines of info could be cut off by those in power. 

Unfortunately, it’s turned into a freak show….

13 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Knowlege and proof of injustices, of mass violence toward populations, of any true issue of importance

can instantly be communicated to the four corners of the globe and, equally as importantly, be discussed and debated, and action can be taken. 

The only problem with that is people figure out how to use it to control their own narrative. Then there's chaos.....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Well.  Yes.  Humans are freak shows. All of us.   The issues arose when it became moderated actually and the worse so it was moderated by those wearing bubbles glasses in a cartman  ( south  park ) type mind set  .  

• Haha 3

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

Man, the beers we could have over riffing on this topic, lol. Without going into too much detail (because really who TF cares hah) i've been in creative forms of software development for more than a decade now. Our team in the last couple years built our own hosting platform to hopefully future-proof ourselves and not be reliant on the existing services (Steam/Valve in this case) and while i'm more of the art/design/sound guy I do know enough to be dangerous and can effectively fumble my way around C++ enough to be helpful. Therefore I have to take deep breaths when the people that I (and we) know have little to no experience in how generally complex and interconnected all this s*** is make sweeping generalizations and pedestalize people like Musk. We've ALL worked with versions of him before, a somewhat intelligent person who thinks his intelligence can transfer 1:1 to whatever thing he's working on that we watch step on every single mousetrap as he attempts to do so while overconfidently claiming he knows what he's doing and can definitely figure it out. 😅

That XKCD comic hits home in my world as well, and we've happily watched some of our competitors freely trip over their dicks kicking out those thanklessly maintained supports in the name of optimization and "cleaning up the codebase", and it is massively entertaining to watch Musk literally tweet about doing this in real time. 🤣 

So, didn't we just see this show ......Where someone claimed to be a stable genius and know more about everything and anything. Then proceeded to dismantle everything down to the secretaries and everything imploded.....LOL!

3 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Worst case EM contracts a chunk of the routine operations to a combination of consulting firms (Accenture, AWS, Cognizant, etc)

Be enormously expensive but then again…

he’s not paying the thousands of people who left anymore ; )

Meantime, as mentioned, it seems he has much bigger plans for Twitter than just a social platform. 

You're giving Musk and his plans much too much credit.  Two months ago Musk's big plans for Twitter were to try his best to weasel out of the crap deal he signed to buy the thing.  

As for the outsourcing, in other circumstances, sure, but over the last few days their payroll department, financial reporting team, and tax compliance team all resigned en masse.  To outsource all that stuff, it'd take several months of work (absolute best case scenario), plus the general cooperation of the existing employees. 

This is a company with about 25 locations spread across six continents that's 10 days away from having to pay employees without anyone working in their payroll department.  Then, once they get that sorted (can't be too hard, right?  Just fire up Quickbooks and let the Tesla payroll department take a crack at it!), they'll need to close the books on their year, in compliance with governmental requirements across those six continents, and they don't currently have a financial reporting or tax compliance team.  

They're headquartered in CA, and if they're late paying employees in CA they face escalating fines per employee.  And they're absolutely still paying (or would be if they had a payroll department I guess) all those people who left, for the next two or three months, again (slight simplification, but more or less) by CA law.  And if you think CA takes this stuff seriously wait until you see how seriously the EU takes it.

And that's just the basics of bookkeeping.  Forget about whole engineering departments disappearing, or advertising income (previously 90% of revenue) evaporating.  Musk isn't going to be able to fix this by hardcore willing X dot com into existence.  

Best analogy I've heard for Twitter's current state is that the Titanic kept sailing for a little while after hitting the iceberg.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jmck said:

You're giving Musk and his plans much too much credit.  Two months ago Musk's big plans for Twitter were to try his best to weasel out of the crap deal he signed to buy the thing.  

As for the outsourcing, in other circumstances, sure, but over the last few days their payroll department, financial reporting team, and tax compliance team all resigned en masse.  To outsource all that stuff, it'd take several months of work (absolute best case scenario), plus the general cooperation of the existing employees. 

This is a company with about 25 locations spread across six continents that's 10 days away from having to pay employees without anyone working in their payroll department.  Then, once they get that sorted (can't be too hard, right?  Just fire up Quickbooks and let the Tesla payroll department take a crack at it!), they'll need to close the books on their year, in compliance with governmental requirements across those six continents, and they don't currently have a financial reporting or tax compliance team.  

They're headquartered in CA, and if they're late paying employees in CA they face escalating fines per employee.  And they're absolutely still paying (or would be if they had a payroll department I guess) all those people who left, for the next two or three months, again (slight simplification, but more or less) by CA law.  And if you think CA takes this stuff seriously wait until you see how seriously the EU takes it.

And that's just the basics of bookkeeping.  Forget about whole engineering departments disappearing, or advertising income (previously 90% of revenue) evaporating.  Musk isn't going to be able to fix this by hardcore willing X dot com into existence.  

Best analogy I've heard for Twitter's current state is that the Titanic kept sailing for a little while after hitting the iceberg.

Yes, it’s a total you know what show!

But you pay enough consultants enough money, they take care of it.

You may get charged $400/hr for a whole bunch of people each doing a $40/hour payroll function 

but it will get done 🤣

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Yes, it’s a total you know what show!

But you pay enough consultants enough money, they take care of it.

You may get charged $400/hr for a whole bunch of people each doing a $40/hour payroll function 

but it will get done 🤣

You may be right, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time the Penny Wise Pound Foolish School of Management prevailed in dramatic fashion   🤣

• Like 1