If you're over 160 ballspeed

getitdaily

2 hours ago, TwistedSister said:

I am not being snarky.  Just making a suggestion.

What you are saying is that he has lost distance because his mechanics have gotten worse.  That would be most unusual, IMHO. 

dave

Edited by DaveLeeNC
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, airjammer said:

Other than hitting puberty has there ever been any other way barring crappy fitting equipment?

I will turn 44 next month and I’ve never been longer but it’s because of focused speed work.  I’ve seen a lot of guys I’ve been playing with for years slowly get slower and I was in the same boat as I wasn’t getting to play as much as I would like. 

It hasn’t been a sunshine and rainbows as I started to get way too dumped under late in the season with my driver as I continued to push my COP past my COM but it definitely made the game more interesting and if I kept a handicap it would have been close to my lowest ever. 

There’s just so much information out now. I really think people are doing themselves a disservice by not using some of this information get some of the low hanging speed gains. 

What's your speed training regimen?

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

What's your speed training regimen?

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Are you a lifter?

1rm squat and bench #s?

I work out irregularly but i’m just fat and out of shape. This is the heaviest I’ve ever been😩

Bench is one of the areas I really struggle with as I have a bird chest and longer than my height wingspan. My 1rm in that is 180. 

I don’t squat with much weight as I’m afraid of injury. I prefer trap bar deadlift…410 1rm for that.   

I read Bill Miller’s swing fast book and added a bunch of medicine ball work using my PUSH Band. 

This past season I’ve worked with Steve Furlonger who is one of the foremost GFR experts via online lessons..3 of them..he fantastic..highly recommend and he’s on skillest. 

My speed training this past season consisted of working on what Steve has pointed out as issues which I have a lot and 2 all out driver speed sessions of about 50 balls a piece per week. 

As far as I can tell almost all my gains came from 4 changes…using my ribs to take the club back and forwards, pushing using my left leg way more and earlier in downswing, and learning to move COP past COM on the downswing and change of intent to psycho mode with the driver. Those pretty much got me around 14 mph ball speed. 

Overall I have no “special” qualities that I can tell but I’ve always been on the longer side of the average player 5 handicap of less. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, airjammer said:

I work out irregularly but i’m just fat and out of shape. This is the heaviest I’ve ever been😩

Bench is one of the areas I really struggle with as I have a bird chest and longer than my height wingspan. My 1rm in that is 180. 

I don’t squat with much weight as I’m afraid of injury. I prefer trap bar deadlift…410 1rm for that.   

I read Bill Miller’s swing fast book and added a bunch of medicine ball work using my PUSH Band. 

This past season I’ve worked with Steve Furlonger who is one of the foremost GFR experts via online lessons..3 of them..he fantastic..highly recommend and he’s on skillest. 

My speed training this past season consisted of working on what Steve has pointed out as issues which I have a lot and 2 all out driver speed sessions of about 50 balls a piece per week. 

As far as I can tell almost all my gains came from 4 changes…using my ribs to take the club back and forwards, pushing using my left leg way more and earlier in downswing, and learning to move COP past COM on the downswing and change of intent to psycho mode with the driver. Those pretty much got me around 14 mph ball speed. 

Overall I have no “special” qualities that I can tell but I’ve always been on the longer side of the average player 5 handicap of less. 

Awesome stuff. I'll check out that Miller book. 

Explain moving cop past com...cop - center of pressure and com - center of mass? What are the feelings or specifics there? I assume it's really pressing into the lead foot early in the downswing (or prior) and then pushing up and away, off that lead foot, into impact...?

Edited by getitdaily

16 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Awesome stuff. I'll check out that Miller book. 

Explain moving cop past com...cop - center of pressure and com - center of mass? What are the feelings or specifics there? I assume it's really pressing into the lead foot early in the downswing (or prior) and then pushing up and away, off that lead foot, into impact...?

Oh that’s the really cool but also really dangerous subject. 
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjotGUnI7uN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

333CE562-0BB9-4956-9694-A27A319BD15D.jpeg.2f35671b87e8695882f558e350869832.jpegIn this picture Kyle’s mass is over his trail leg and pretty much so is his pressure even though it’s in the process of moving towards his lead side. 
26A2B635-7C14-4BE4-90E0-5C021CF9B44F.jpeg.c4de1c6b70edd473e970c43d6d2fb054.jpegI this picture Kyle’s mass is still on the right side of his body but his COP has rocketed past his COM in transition. 

If you have a sheftic pressure board, get to the top of your backswing with your chest and head essentially over your trail leg and your tailbone turned towards the target and then without moving anything else use your feet to push the lead side of the board down…it will probably be quite weird and hard. That’s a major speed move but if you don’t get the downhill surfing move right you can get dumped under quick. 

With irons your ribs should get stacked over your lead hip in transition to prevent too rightward of a path. With Driver you won’t quite get stacked. 

i just ran across that clip..watch Kyle’s right foot. He’s throwing the club back so forcefully that with a little less ground friction the club would rotate him several degrees away from the target..that’s hardcore. 

1 minute ago, airjammer said:

Oh that’s the really cool but also really dangerous subject. 
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjotGUnI7uN/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

333CE562-0BB9-4956-9694-A27A319BD15D.jpeg.2f35671b87e8695882f558e350869832.jpegIn this picture Kyle’s mass is over his trail leg and pretty much so is his pressure even though it’s in the process of moving towards his lead side. 
26A2B635-7C14-4BE4-90E0-5C021CF9B44F.jpeg.c4de1c6b70edd473e970c43d6d2fb054.jpegI this picture Kyle’s mass is still on the right side of his body but his COP has rocketed past his COM in transition. 

If you have a sheftic pressure board, get to the top of your backswing with your chest and head essentially over your trail leg and your tailbone turned towards the target and then without moving anything else use your feet to push the lead side of the board down…it will probably be quite weird and hard. That’s a major speed move but if you don’t get the downhill surfing move right you can get dumped under quick. 

With irons your ribs should get stacked over your lead hip in transition to prevent too rightward of a path. With Driver you won’t quite get stacked. 

i just ran across that clip..watch Kyle’s right foot. He’s throwing the club back so forcefully that with a little less ground friction the club would rotate him several degrees away from the target..that’s hardcore. 

That's what I figured. It's a move I practice often. I'll really press hard into my lead foot at p3-p4 with irons. It definitely adds speed. I think it's moreso from stability than anything else...meaning it helps prevent a power leak. I'm a bit of a stack and tilter with irons so that feel does come rather naturally for me.

But I also try to not shift too much into my trail side. My shift is very subtle. I used to shift a lot more, have tamed.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

That's what I figured. It's a move I practice often. I'll really press hard into my lead foot at p3-p4 with irons. It definitely adds speed. I think it's moreso from stability than anything else...meaning it helps prevent a power leak. I'm a bit of a stack and tilter with irons so that feel does come rather naturally for me.

But I also try to not shift too much into my trail side. My shift is very subtle. I used to shift a lot more, have tamed.

Just more food for thought. What Josh is describing at the end is what is called the moment arm. Basically the bigger difference between where your center of mass is and the center of pressure the bigger the moment arm and potentially more speed but not with potential consequences. 

• Like 1

6' 4"

A smooth swing is around 170-175 on GCQuad, unsure what I could push it to haven't tried

• Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

On 11/19/2022 at 2:59 PM, getitdaily said:

Pretty easy to figure out. But I'm not going to list my reason because the thread will get inundated with "do this, do that" stuff that I'm not looking for.

Kinda sounds like you think I'm dumb. I'll bite, regardless.

Won't give you a physical description but my PB ball speed is 192. Don't ask how I got there as the only training I did was hitting a lot of drivers.

• Like 1

I’d also say you might want to consider a pull(deadlift, trap bar etc) compare to people squat max. I believe the hips and posterior chain are more indicative of speed than a pure squat. If we really want to get into it, your max vertical has a much higher correlation than any max lift. I could hit 175 ball speed when I benched the bar.  

3 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Are you a lifter? 

If so, what's your 1rm on squat and bench?

What speed training do you do?

I’m pretty fat …. Lol someone posted they are handsome I was going to put in cute like a teddy bear 🧸 

I do lift but have don’t really push 1rm… I do a lot of compound lifts with “explosive” movement and some what high rep

im huge on mobility and creating mobility strength (shameless plug for stick mobility) because I have never been very flexible even as a kid so this helps me a lot

i did speed train pretty much standard heavy weight light weight super speed stuff but have limited it due to it leaking into my whole game …. Lol

i find pounding a bucket of balls with the intention of finding more speed and still using proper technique/mechanics more beneficial than the superspeed stuff  

• Like 3

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

5’11”

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

You a lifter? If so, what's your 1rm on squat and bench?

What speed training do you do?

No never hit the gym or lift too much. Have a couple kettlebells that I do some warming up with before playing. I have speedsticks set but don't do the training. I need to do it once a week but don't.  

52 minutes ago, shadowCLV said:

No never hit the gym or lift too much. Have a couple kettlebells that I do some warming up with before playing. I have speedsticks set but don't do the training. I need to do it once a week but don't.  

I really dislike you naturally fast twitch guys...lol

• Like 1