2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

If you're over 160 ballspeed

getitdaily

I see someone here doesn't believe my stats, heres my swing nothing pretty but effective and simple once the club starts going back. This is my 4 iron, I'm generally around 93 mph. My 43" 3 wood is 103 to 109, my clubhead speed jumps around according to my radar, which finally broke.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

8 minutes ago, chipa said:

I see someone here doesn't believe my stats, heres my swing nothing pretty but effective and simple once the club starts going back. This is my 4 iron, I'm generally around 93 mph. My 43" 3 wood is 103 to 109, my clubhead speed jumps around according to my radar, which finally broke.

You could be faster too...a little earlier push into that lead foot and then using it to brace the swing into...you'd gain another 3-5 mph

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chipa said:

93 mph clubhead speed translates into about 139.5 ball speed and about a 244 carry distance. So that ball went 240yrds?

4 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

You could be faster too...a little earlier push into that lead foot and then using it to brace the swing into...you'd gain another 3-5 mph

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it buddy. However, I have three fused vertebrae from an accident and I feel its a miracle I can walk. If you notice I pick the club up early I have learned to do this to keep my lower back tight which limits back pain. If I didn't have these health issues I would agree 100% this is the way to go. Take care.

• Like 1

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

19 minutes ago, chipa said:

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it buddy. However, I have three fused vertebrae from an accident and I feel its a miracle I can walk. If you notice I pick the club up early I have learned to do this to keep my lower back tight which limits back pain. If I didn't have these health issues I would agree 100% this is the way to go. Take care.

I'll restate...you could be faster too. Normal back, without issues and you'd gain 3-5 mph...lol. 

Good motion considering your back. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I'll restate...you could be faster too. Normal back, without issues and you'd gain 3-5 mph...lol. 

Good motion considering your back. 

Thanks buddy I appreciate the positive comments. My lower back issues mean I can't bend over enough with my irons, hence I swing easier, my 25 deg. 4 iron goes around 188 but my 3w is about 240-255 carry normally. I drove the green 300 yards the same day of the video with a wind aided drive. The prior hole I hit it just over 220 into the same breeze and about 60 feet uphill.

Notes:

59 minutes ago, Gsea said:

93 mph clubhead speed translates into about 139.5 ball speed and about a 244 carry distance. So that ball went 240yrds?

I don't know where you are gettign those numbers from but my 4 iron is 25 deg. and I hit it around 190 total. That particular swing was on the toe and it was about 190 from the tee based on Google maps into a slight breeze. Here are the PGA trackman results as a reference. I don't know what the pros lofts are but expect they are on the weak side. 

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

Notes:

3 minutes ago, chipa said:

I don't know where you are gettign those numbers from but my 4 iron is 25 deg. and I hit it around 190 total. That particular swing was on the toe and it was about 190 from the tee based on Google maps into a slight breeze. Here are the PGA trackman results as a reference. I don't know what the pros lofts are but expect they are on the weak side. 

https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/

rule of thumb is usually clubhead speed x 1.5 gives u ball speed, then ball speed x1.75 gives u distance. so 195yrd carry is about 75 clubhead speed.

3 hours ago, Gsea said:

rule of thumb is usually clubhead speed x 1.5 gives u ball speed, then ball speed x1.75 gives u distance. so 195yrd carry is about 75 clubhead speed.

That's with a driver and on the high side. The pros are around 1.43 with a 4/5 iron so the ball speed would be no more than 139 mph and according to Trackman that falls between a 4 and 5 iron and corresponds to a carry of 196 yards for a 5 iron. I expect I'm a little short due to my smash factor prob. being around 1.40 on average. Sometimes I do hit it on the screws and the ball goes further.

Edited by chipa

Notes:

3 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

So, a scratch golfer has an average drive of about 250 yards, swing speed probably less than 100, with 150 smash factor ball speed less than 150.

Are all you guys pluses?

Logically the question doesn't make sense. It's reasonable to draw the conclusion that longer hitters are as a group more likely to be good players, but it doesn't mean that all long hitters are good players. 

With that being said, I am definitely not a plus despite being very confident off the tee...playing more like an 8-9 these days having formerly been between 0 and 2 back when I was playing a lot more. My tendency is a flippy swing so the wedge game leaves me really quickly if I don't keep it in shape. I'd probably trade it for the opposite some days (wayward driving, sharp short-iron play) thinking that'd probably be a less disappointing way to play the game than bombing it and then struggling to get down in 3 from inside 100y middle of the fairway, but that's just life. 

Edited by ac6
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Chunkitgood said:

So, a scratch golfer has an average drive of about 250 yards, swing speed probably less than 100, with 150 smash factor ball speed less than 150.

Are all you guys pluses?

I'm not a plus. However, I am back on track to shooting in the low 80's. There is a lot more to golf than driving and a few ob balls don't help, which is not uncommon for big hitters.

Notes:

On 11/19/2022 at 8:30 PM, bladehunter said:

You should have seen what I could do at 35.  It’s old. Trust me. 

What happened to you?? I have been on an upward trajectory for years lol.  Age is just a number (injury's however, those stupid things are real and suck!)

Edit: Ope nvm, saw your other post.  You too know the suckiness that are injury's.  I am hoping I will recover from mine though and keep my ascent going.  

Edited by clevited

Swing hard in case you hit it!

2 hours ago, clevited said:

What happened to you?? I have been on an upward trajectory for years lol.  Age is just a number (injury's however, those stupid things are real and suck!)

Edit: Ope nvm, saw your other post.  You too know the suckiness that are injury's.  I am hoping I will recover from mine though and keep my ascent going.  

Lol. Good question.  I laid tile in a glassed in porch for my wife all thanksgiving break.  And then this morning took bush hog blades off my father in laws tractor to sharpen them and put them back on so he could cut tommorow. Then I went to my actual job.  Everyone else I know played golf 3 times last week.  

I’m the only able aged male in my family , outside my 14 year old boy.  I think there’s a term or two for it that I can’t post here 😅.   it is what it is.  I had some alone time this evening , and hit some drivers…. Ramped up to 178 ballspeed with control.  So I’m generally putt putting around at 5/8ths speed most of the time due to fatigue.    Plenty of speed in there. I just use it to survive.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

Are all you guys pluses?

Averages are one thing, but I’ve known and come across lots of golfers with 160+ ball speed who will never touch scratch. I play with one every weekend. My younger brother is another and he’s 155 pounds soaking wet.

I’m a +1 at the moment. 

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

716 CB 4-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
L.A.B. Mezz Max     ‘24 TP5X

10 hours ago, Chunkitgood said:

Are all you guys pluses?

Judging someone's skill based based on speed has been pretty out of date basically since the first generation of golfers after Tiger broke out. Chicks dig the long ball and there are plenty of baseball player/golfer crossovers. Lots of long balls without control or touch out there. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 9* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 18* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95X
Callaway X-Forged Single Diamond 22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

7 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Judging someone's skill based based on speed has been pretty out of date basically since the first generation of golfers after Tiger broke out. Chicks dig the long ball and there are plenty of baseball player/golfer crossovers. Lots of long balls without control or touch out there. 

This.  I have long thought that most all healthy bodied golfers have a whole lot more in the tank athletically speaking than they think.  They just have to seek to unlock it with some technique improvements and speed training.  I have seen in the past decade, swing speeds in the 110+ become increasingly more common.  I think that once the knowledge that anyone can get a lot faster got out, (when once the mantra was that you have what you have and can't really improve, as well the swing nice and easy mantra), more and more people starting unlocking it because they saw it was possible.  Doesn't mean they got a lot better at golf though.  They just obtained one potential piece of the overall golf puzzle which is above average speed.  Some people also just enjoy hitting the crap out of a golf ball even if they can't reliably control it.

• Like 1

Swing hard in case you hit it!

8 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Also my sport growing up- hockey players. Anyone that’s been taking slap shots since he was 5 can probably swing a golf club with some speed. 

• Like 3

TSR3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR3 3 wood Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

716 CB 4-PW X100

SM9 54D, 59V Modus 125W
L.A.B. Mezz Max     ‘24 TP5X

5’11”

215lbs - Time to change this

44 yrs 

169.0mph

The BHAG is to get to a playing speed of 180mph.   

AI Smoke TD 8° w/shaft TBD

Big Bertha 815 Alpha 14° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

'16 Apex Hybrid 23° w/DG 
'24 Apex CB 5-7; '24 Apex MB 8-11 w/DG

MD2 55° + PM 1.0 58° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

I think speed is just a goal for us like anything else.  We're probably all chasing numbers in some way:

X score

X handicap

X body weight

X weight or reps on a lift

X # of steps per day

X $$

X mph....

It's fun, engages the mind and body.  Maybe there are numbers for health reasons.  Or just it seems cool to hit a number.  It doesn't have to matter for anything else, but its still a goal.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

On 11/22/2022 at 10:31 AM, phizzy30 said:

Bench press is the least important to be strong in for golf/speed.  The most important are squat and deads.  From many years of experience myself and with clients, I've found that if you can bench 150, squat and dead 225, you're g2g.  It's actually more important to get better at moving more weight proficiently for Olympic lifts IMO since they incorporate both speed and power. 

Are you a trainer?

What clubhead speed do your clients reach with those numbers?

50 minutes ago, acekun said:

Are you a trainer?

I agree with phizzy as my workout routine focuses on the lower body and I do bodyweight power cleans and front squats. Also, I've quit doing barbell bench press because of the limited shoulder and chest flexibility that it causes, now i limit myself to 2 sets of dumbbell presses once a week. I used to bench twice my weight. Also, I don't think I've heard of any pro benching more than their bodyweight. Johnny Miller also said he hurt his swing by doing bench press. 

Edited by chipa

Notes:

9 minutes ago, acekun said:

Are you a trainer?

Yes.  155-180+ ball speed.  Most of my golf clients are regular people but I have a buddy on the Mackenzie Tour and another long time friend that's a + cap and neither one of them are extremely strong.  They have no power leaks in their swing though and are very flexible. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

5’9

A year ago I was around 105 with the driver, though I had been much faster in the past.  I attribute around 3mph to strength gains and about 7 mph to speed training, though certainly increased strength and flexibility has facilitated those gains.

The entire year has been a lot of simple gym work; squat, dead lift, jumps, and core/back stuff. I ordered the Stack system the week Matt Fitzpatrick won the US Open and I’ve been shocked at how “easy” it’s been to put on speed - getting from 108 to 115 was mostly just a matter of doing the stack workouts consistently. It seems like I gain 1mph every 2-3 weeks, which I’m sure will stop at some point.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...