Low or zero offset irons

ReefDonkey

1 hour ago, Lasorcier said:

In re: the charge for one head and propriety thereof. 

Even where he is particularly at in Canada?  I looked on a map.  Seems kind of remote.  I don't mean any insensitivity by that.

It's the extreme east coast of Canada. It's so remote over there that they even have their own strong regional accent. I live in Canada, and to drive to where this is, I'd have to drive through like half of the US. 

Edit: I think he's living the dream out there though. It's gorgeous and literally right on the Atlantic Ocean. 

Edited by PowderedToastMan

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: PXG 0311XF Gen 5 4 Wood; Smoke iM10 Green 70 TX D6

Irons: PXG 0317X; PXG 0311T Gen 5; 5-GW DG 105 X D7

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

27 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Yes, the shipping was a bit high, but I feel like I'm able to view it philosophically.  It's essentially a one time purchase, in volume terms.  It's not like I'll be making many similar purchases of only two clubheads from them; I'll either be buying more, or I'll be done.  

Such is my take

Have to agree here. I won't go out and say Jeff is small time, because I don't think he is. I've appreciated every bit of correspondence I've had with Jeff, and because of that, the shipping fees don't bother me, mostly in part because he's half a world away from southern California. I enjoy his creativity in the product to bridge gaps for a niche market. At the end of the day, a set from Jeff that fits my prospected profile is significantly cheaper than all the other options available. I've paid more for less. Cheaper than half a tank of 91 octane to me.

• Like 1

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

Speaking a bit more about my own purchase, and my intentions....

My plan is to evaluate the 2i & 5i in two ways. 

One, to see if I feel the full set of D-23, or even CR-16, heads would be something I'd be interested in.  

Two, to see if the 2i would fit well in the 2i slot on top of blade sets I'm already playing.  Especially my Tommy Armour 986 Tours, which have a similar visual profile.  This could be a Go, even if I choose not to spring for the full set.

Still thinking about what shafts to try with it.  🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

You can always buy a set of irons that might have stronger lofts than you play and weaken them all....it will visually take some of that offset out. Keep in mind it will change the bounce (slightly) but if thats not a concern, that is one way to accomplish that. I know Johnny Wunder with Callaway does that and Ian on TXG has done it with their personal sets...

Taylormade Stealth+ 9.0* | GD Tour ADHD 6X

Taylormade Stealth+ 15* | GD Tour ADHD 7X

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 19* | Ventus Blue 9TX

Miura TC-201  4-PW  | MMT 105 S

Miura 50* Raw  | BGT ZNE 115g

National Custom Works  Jeff McCoy 54 | DG TI S400

Taylormade MG Hi-Toe Raw 58  | KBS Hi Rev 115

Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 STR | Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 2021

Taylormade TP5X 2021

A courier will have a much more predictable arrival time and proper tracking from start to finish, vs the much cheaper Post Office.  I assume that's why Arias uses a courier vs Canada Post, even on small items like just heads.  Yarmouth is about a 3.5 drive from Halifax, we were there in 2019, the day after Hurricane Dorian. (  got to play Cabot Links & Cliffs on that trip 👍 )

WITB for 2023  |  Titleist Hybrid-5 Stand Bag
Titleist TSi2 10*  |  Miyazaki Kusala Black 61X

Titleist TSR1 20* & 26* Hybrids  |  Evenflow White 90S

Edel SMS Pro 5-PW |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Edel SMS GW & LW  |  Steelfiber i110cw-S

Putter  |  Mizuno OMOI-03 Nickel Finish, stock grip

Grips    |  All Clubs With CP2 Wrap Jumbo

On 11/23/2022 at 10:15 AM, kjbuckeye said:

Really interested in testing the D-23 head. Went to order the demo and found out about the $45 shipping fee. What a ripoff. 

$69 dollar head shipped In a tiny box at half a pound does not cost $45. 

I have 2 sets of the d-23 heads for sale. Both are 4-PW in great shape. PM me if interested. 

I can do much better than $45 shipping!

• 4 months later...

Revisiting this....

I *finally* assembled my D-23 2 iron.  Chose to go with a Modus 120, built to 39.5".  Have added a bit of lead tape to get it to the swingweight I want.  Just need to grip it.

Possible plans being made to do some indoor simulator time this weekend, where I'll give it a few whacks.  I'll report back with my findings, such as they are.

The club is at 18* loft.  I should be able to extrapolate well enough from the irons in my bag.  Or, I'll just bring my Eye2+ 2 iron for a more direct comparison.  Might be too drastic an offset switch, though.  LOL

• Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Got some simulator time this afternoon, and made sure to get plenty of 2 iron time.  Modus 120 in the D-23, 950GH in the Rams; Wishon profile data for these two in stiff is remarkably similar.  Weight is the biggest difference.  

Interestingly, the D-23 isn't *that* much larger than the Golden Ram.  It is noticeably larger, but I was expecting a more stark difference. 

Was pleasantly surprised at the feel, compared to my Golden Rams.  In spite of being on a mat, I felt like I could tell the difference in the sole, felt like the D-23 was a bit cleaner.  Or, it was all in my head, LOL.  The Ram is 2* weaker than the D-23, and I hit them with about a 6-7 yd difference.  A good amount of consistency out of the club today.

Moderately high trajectory, not sure how much is related to me, the clubhead, or the shaft.  

In the "getting old" category, 120 stiff and 950GH stiff now fit me.  4 years ago, definitely not.  My lot in life.  😉

More to come...

Adding a couple comparison pics.  Topline pic, Ram in the back.  Face pic, Ram on the right.  Might be obvious, but you know.  😉

image.png.68515b8b44b147516c24d86cb9ec3e1a.png

image.png.423a625741ad5259cf64f0bf66345afb.png

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

After thinking over this entirely too much, because that's what I do...   yesterday, I ordered a 4-PW set of Arias D-23 irons, with the M-29 50* in the GW slot.  Planning on using 950GH shafts to start, but have a set of Recoil 95 shafts lying in wait, and may even eventually go Modus 120 stiff, to match up with the shafts I chose to use in demo mode.

We shall see what we shall see  🙂

• Like 2

On 7/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, NRJyzr said:

After thinking over this entirely too much, because that's what I do...   yesterday, I ordered a 4-PW set of Arias D-23 irons, with the M-29 50* in the GW slot.  Planning on using 950GH shafts to start, but have a set of Recoil 95 shafts lying in wait, and may even eventually go Modus 120 stiff, to match up with the shafts I chose to use in demo mode.

The new clubs effect has occurred....

One reason I picked this set up is that I've been noticing my ability to hit my current clubs normally has slipped.  My hdcp has gone up a few, to the point I was soft capped for a few weeks.  Great fun.

So, as my new clubheads are in transit, my current irons decide it's time to start working.  And they did, to the point I shot my low round of the season, just two shots off my personal best.  Then, the next week, did it again, screwing up the last few holes to only equal my season best, instead of threatening my personal best.

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.  😐

It's like they know they are about to be replaced, and are being good to me, in an effort to stay in the bag.   LOL

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Haha 1

Kind of like how my irons started working suddenly after the round was over because they knew it didn't matter anymore...... 😆

• Like 1

Current Bag: Sun Mountain C-130 Inferno (Orange)

The Sledge Hammer: PXG 0311 Black Ops Tour-1 @ 6.5° - PX Gen 4 Hzrdus Black 80/TX

The Dead Blow: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 11.5° - PX Even Flow Riptide 80/6.5TX

The Chaser: PXG 0311 Gen 5 @ 15.5° - Project X Even Flow Riptide 85/6.5X Hybrid Shaft

The Grinders PXG 0317ST (CB 3-4 / ST 5-PW) - DG X-Seven (Still Acclimating)

The Chisels- Tom Watson 56° - 60° - DG - S-Flex (Soon to be Retired)

The Mallet: Rossa Lambeau (Maybe Time for a Change)

On 7/28/2023 at 2:22 PM, NRJyzr said:

I also ordered the D23 and CR16 test clubs two weeks ago, after I realized offset was causing me to misalign my face at address slightly. Adjusted my set up, started hitting slices, said screw this and ordered the testers.

Then worked on correcting the slice by readjusting the timing of my release. Fixed it in time for my testers to arrive. Now we shall see what's what.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Zena said:

I also ordered the D23 and CR16 test clubs two weeks ago, after I realized offset was causing me to misalign my face at address slightly. Adjusted my set up, started hitting slices, said screw this and ordered the testers.

Then worked on correcting the slice by readjusting the timing of my release. Fixed it in time for my testers to arrive. Now we shall see what's what.

Would love to hear what you think of the CR-16s specifically...

After the period where my irons were afraid of being replaced, and started performing better than they had been, they reverted to their previous performance.  Leading to my assembling my D-23 irons and M-29 50* last night.  🙂

Went with 950GH shafts.  With there being no 3i in the D-23 set, I've chosen to build the 2i as a 3i, using the 3i shaft in it; it will be trimmed to 3i length.  Not using tip weights, I will be embracing the joy of lead tape. 🤘

Best Grips Microperfs, should any be interested in that aspect.

Their first round will be tomorrow afternoon, though I may take them to the range this evening for a test drive.

• Like 1

First round in the books.  And, hard to tell much, back problem flared up that saw me fighting my swing for most of the round.  What I *could* pick up is promising.  Feel is quite good.  Turf interaction is nice, no digging, gliding thru turf.

M29 GW was nice.  Good spin on mid range pitches, some nice velcro check on an 80 yd partial shot.

Two more rounds this weekend, club championship.  Hoping the back allows me to see more of what's up with these.  So far, so good.

• Like 1

Well, my back didn't allow me to get as good a read as I'd have liked.  Limped my way around the course, fighting my swing the entire time.  😞

First thing I'm noticing, I am really liking the turf interaction with these; very clean through the shot.  I'm coming from Golden Rams, which will create some serious pelts in softer conditions, so it's possibly not saying all that much, LOL.  Much smaller divots with these.

One hesitation in my purchase decision was the size difference; CR16 vs the D23.   The irons I've been using all these years are closer in size to the CR16, and I'd worried the D23 would be too big, even after using the test 2i and 5i that I'd purchased.  After using them for even one round, not a problem.

Interestingly, the D23 2 iron looks like it would slot in great with my 986 Tour iron set.  🙂

Others have mentioned alignment, I will say they are great there.  It's been an adjustment, as the Vibration Matched Golden Rams I'd been using have a more rounded leading edge (possibly from the Ram custom shop, which was fairly active).  It's funny that going to something with a straighter leading edge requires adjustment.  🙂   The M29 wedge is more rounded, but has caused me zero problem.  It's actually been the early star of the entire set.

I'm set to play 9 holes for two leagues, Wednesday and Thursday, and then likely playing Friday/Saturday/Sunday.  Hoping I'll have more to report then.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Adding another comment I'd forgotten above....

The Arias D23 set has given me one lovely gift, in my first round with them... 

Friday, I'd pushed a tee shot wide right, into trees.  I was left with 140 to the back right pin, no way to go over the trees, couldn't even punch out sideways.  Only shot was to punch towards the green, through a narrow opening towards the green.  Hit a low bullet 2i punch, which got through the trees, trundled along the contours, rolls up on to the green pin high, giving me a 15 foot birdie putt.  Which I promptly make.

Birdie of the year.   LOL

• Like 1