2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Chrome Soft X vs Bstone B X

Z1ggy16

I’ve tried them both and for me they perform very similar, but the BX feels softer which I prefer. Both are really good.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

These 2 I've was using back and forth at the back end of my season after looking for a ball with more spin. Like @hammergolfsaid they are both very similar balls I find the Callaway a touch longer and straighter off the tee or so I think I like the window I see with the CSX but the Bridgestone isn't bad at all. 

With irons and into the green I find a bit more spin from the Bridgestone giving better stopping power. My last round of the year I used this ball and held a good number of greens on a very tough course so for stopping power on approaches. The CSX is very good as well I think for me just lately the Bridgestone is giving me better numbers.

Wedges I'll give the nod to the Bridgestone by a hair if you're looking for a more bite and stop when playing the wedges. The CSX it still stops but maybe an extra bounce and good for a bump and run style play.

Putter both I like it really depends on my putter I'm using, Bridgestone is softer and CSX is a touch firmer but not clicky.

All in all both very good, both very similar. Kinda splitting hairs, neither is head and shoulders above the other. You definitely have to test both of them and to make things harder throw the Srixon Diamond into that. 

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Can't go wrong with either ball but I found the CSX to spin a touch more across the board.  CSX launched slightly higher with driver.  CSX is def a bit firmer compared to the B X. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 3 months later...

It was a windy spring day in DFW today. The winds were consistently over 20 with gusts to 30.  I used the CSX and BX as they were the highest rated wind balls in my Ballnamic 

I had intended to switch every 3 holes. The CSX was phenomenal the first 3 holes. The first hole I had used the BX had a poor tee shot into the wind and approach shot cross wind that felt like they just got blown around. I'm sure it's more user than ball.  But at the turn I was so in love with the CSX that I used the same one the rest of the round.  

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

50 minutes ago, mantan said:

It was a windy spring day in DFW today. The winds were consistently over 20 with gusts to 30.  I used the CSX and BX as they were the highest rated wind balls in my Ballnamic 

I had intended to switch every 3 holes. The CSX was phenomenal the first 3 holes. The first hole I had used the BX had a poor tee shot into the wind and approach shot cross wind that felt like they just got blown around. I'm sure it's more user than ball.  But at the turn I was so in love with the CSX that I used the same one the rest of the round.  

That's what ballnamic suggested for me too. I'm a higher spin player and playing with wind makes it tough because the front to back distances really start to creep apart on me... Down wind goes way too far and into wind gets killed. 

Something cuts through a bit better would be ideal and spins less in general would be nice, although I do like higher pitch/chip spin. 

54 minutes ago, mantan said:

CSX is a really good ball. It performed just as good as my normal Tour B X. The only reason I stayed with the Tour B X is that it felt a little softer. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I still enjoy comparing tour-level golf balls to see which perform best for my game. 

I did the Ballnamic test several times recently and last year. I am a slow swing speed golfer (low to mid-80s) and my spin numbers are just slightly lower than ideal, according to Ballnamic. Yet, based on the data I inputed, it consistently recommended the Tour B X as my first choice, which has been my favorite ball even before the Ballnamic results. The CSX was their second choice recommendation. Third and fourth place varied depending on how I "adjusted" my desired ball flight characteristics and preferences. They included the Tour B XS, the ProV1, the Vice ProPlus, and even the Maxfli Tour.

stevegp

On 3/11/2023 at 9:13 AM, Fairways_and_Greens said:

Probably my favorite 2 balls right now. Here are my thoughts:

• BX sounds/feels softer around the green.
  • BX spins more greenside.
  • Outside of of about 15-20 yards the CSX starts to spin more.
  • Full wedges/irons the CSX spins significantly more, nearly 1,0000 RPM more on my GC3
  • CSX seems to have a low lift/drag cover, while it spins significantly more off irons than the BX, it doesn't curve as much as you think. The BX is definitely straighter off irons and the CSX is definitely more workable...  But CSX aerodynamics are truly unique. It's spiny, but doesn't curve or balloon like a spiny ball. You can't just go off an indoor launch monitor with this ball.
  • Off the driver, the BX is really hard to beat. If I had to put a drive in the fairway into a headwind for a million bucks, I'd pick the BX. The CSX isn't bad, but the BX stands out here.
  • To complicate things, Bridgestone has had supply chain issues and there is a B•X out there as well. They're supposed to be the same as the BX, but I find B•X to spin almost 200 RPM more on every club, which is significant on the shortest shots and driver, but not of full wedges or irons. This is important to note for tournament play because someone could call you on having BX and B•X in play.

I just joined a private club and all my rounds so far this year with the BX... But they get the greens lightening fast. When things start to firm up I'm going to start testing the BX vs the CSX. I might need the spin as my ZX7s are pretty low spin to begin with.

Really nice review. Agree with all of this. CSX and BX are my top 2 as well. Compared V1x to these two last year and found it to be significantly shorter off irons with no gains in any other area. 

Cobra Aerojet LS 10.5* - Hzrdus Black Gen 4 60 6.5 / Aerojet LS 3 - AD TP 7X / SZ Tour 5 - AD TP 8X / Apex 21 4H - AD IZ 95X / Cobra Tour 5-P, RTX6 50 M KBS $ Taper HT S+ / 56F - KBS 610S / 60M KBS Hi Rev 2.0 S/ White Hot OG #7 CH / Maxfli Tour

On 3/11/2023 at 8:13 AM, Fairways_and_Greens said:

• Full wedges/irons the CSX spins significantly more, nearly 1,0000 RPM more on my GC3
  • CSX seems to have a low lift/drag cover, while it spins significantly more off irons than the BX, it doesn't curve as much as you think. The BX is definitely straighter off irons and the CSX is definitely more workable...  But CSX aerodynamics are truly unique. It's spiny, but doesn't curve or balloon like a spiny ball. You can't just go off an indoor launch monitor with this ball.
  • Off the driver, the BX is really hard to beat. If I had to put a drive in the fairway into a headwind for a million bucks, I'd pick the BX. The CSX isn't bad, but the BX stands out here.
  • To complicate things, Bridgestone has had supply chain issues and there is a B•X out there as well. They're supposed to be the same as the BX, but I find B•X to spin almost 200 RPM more on every club, which is significant on the shortest shots and driver, but not of full wedges or irons. This is important to note for tournament play because someone could call you on having BX and B•X in play.

I just joined a private club and all my rounds so far this year with the BX... But they get the greens lightening fast. When things start to firm up I'm going to start testing the BX vs the CSX. I might need the spin as my ZX7s are pretty low spin to begin with.

Great summary. Please do follow up as you test more. 

TSR2 8.0 / Tour AD CQ 6S

TSR2 16.5 / Ventus TR Red 7X

Epic Max 18 / MMT 70X 

U505 22 / HZRDUS RDX 6.0 80Hy

Artisan HC 6-P / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Artisan 49, 54, 59 / KBS C-Taper Lite 115X

Revolving Putter

I’ve had issues with defects in the covers of the bx. One box was so bad I sent the entire dozen to Bridgestone and they sent me replacements. It ended up being their old version, I was pretty annoyed. Of course they didn’t respond to my emails after.

The cover defects were weird, dimples missing, dimpled popped out like a bubble. It was odd and definitely would affect ball flight. But a good bx is a great ball.. unfortunately with those issues I’m sticking with my chrome soft x ls… I can’t tell a difference on feel, same to me. 

CSX flies lower with wedges than any ball I have played. That is my Rahm was so sold on it. CSX LS will play similiar to PROV!X and BSX. LS firmer than other two, with BX spinning the most out of the last two. CSX spins more than any of them... I would rate them for me as follows..

23 PROV1X

PXG

BX

CSX

CSX LS

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

3 hours ago, cw1209 said:

Lol wut? I read this three times and still confused. "This is my Rahm", "CSX LS will play similar to PROV!X", "BSX", "Rate them as follows..." What are you rating? Maybe more importantly...what are you drinking? 😂

I think he meant "why" and not "my".

but yes, I'm still unsure what's being rated and by what metric.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

I think he meant "why" and not "my".

but yes, I'm still unsure what's being rated and by what metric.

Too funny don't have a few and then get on golfwrx. I think I meant to say... For me, this the order of golf balls I like. I also meant to say that the CSX off the wedges is the lowest flying golf ball of the bunch and that is why "Rahm" loves it so much...

• Like 1

PING G430 10K Max 9 degree (digitally lofted) DI VF 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D5 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

On 3/11/2023 at 7:42 PM, hammergolf said:

CSX is a really good ball. It performed just as good as my normal Tour B X. The only reason I stayed with the Tour B X is that it felt a little softer. 

I played the BX for the back 9 yesterday and really liked it. It was hard to tell wind performance, as it was only blowing around 10mph.  (anything less than 15 mph in Texas is considered a 'calm' golf day).

But a get what you're saying about feel.  To me it has almost a 'scrunch' like feel at impact.  I could play it or the CSX and be happy with it as my spring ball.  The wind generally blows 20mph+ March-May, so wind performance is absolutely vital the next few months.

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 10.5 

Cleveland Launcher XL Hy-wood 18*
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

4 minutes ago, mantan said:

I played the BX for the back 9 yesterday and really liked it. It was hard to tell wind performance, as it was only blowing around 10mph.  (anything less than 15 mph in Texas is considered a 'calm' golf day).

But a get what you're saying about feel.  To me it has almost a 'scrunch' like feel at impact.  I could play it or the CSX and be happy with it as my spring ball.  The wind generally blows 20mph+ March-May, so wind performance is absolutely vital the next few months.

Will be curious! Here, I play tree lined courses but I hit the ball high. Wind is up there but you can't see it or feel it usually. 

Usually I flush one, see it go really high... Go oh no... And watch it come down 5-10 short. I don't necessarily need much less spin, just some better aerodynamics compared to proV.

On 3/15/2023 at 5:56 AM, Z1ggy16 said:

Will be curious! Here, I play tree lined courses but I hit the ball high. Wind is up there but you can't see it or feel it usually. 

Usually I flush one, see it go really high... Go oh no... And watch it come down 5-10 short. I don't necessarily need much less spin, just some better aerodynamics compared to proV.

B X is actually one of the better if not best wind tour ball IMO.  TP5x and CSX LS are a close second in my book. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/11/2023 at 9:13 AM, Fairways_and_Greens said:

UPDATES???????? ******cough******

4 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

UPDATES???????? ******cough******

I usually play the CSX. It spins a little more, and still goes as straight. The BX feels softer though. Durability on both are way worse than Titleist.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

47 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

I usually play the CSX. It spins a little more, and still goes as straight. The BX feels softer though. Durability on both are way worse than Titleist.

2023 prov1 seems LESS durable than previous generations so far ......2021 was awesome....this is my first attempt with CSX 

• Haha 1

These are my two balls.  They are very similar IMO outside of feel.  BX has a softer feel (though not truly soft by any means).  I drive it slightly longer with CSX.  Maybe 3-4 yards at most.   My best round to date was with B*X so it's hard to argue against that ball.   To me, outside of the Pro V range, these two are the best tour balls you can play from tee to green.  Excellent in all aspects.   I've done significant testing with most tour balls and none match the performance of CSX and BX for me.  Its not even close.

• Thanks 1

🤖 A.I Smoke TD 10.5 w/ GD VF 5S

Sim 2 Ti 5W w/Diamana TB 70S

2024 Apex UW w/Tensei 1K Pro Blue 70S

Apex Pro 4-5 Nippon Modus 105S 

Apex CB 6-PW Nippon Modus 105S 

Jaws Raw 50S, 54W, 58Z

37" Odyssey 2-Ball 10 Tour W/Superstroke Zenergy Tour 13"

Chrome Tour 

I too was fit into these ball on Ballnamic due to being a high spin player.  I have much preferred the BX to CS LS.  The CSLS is certainly not a bad ball just didn’t feel quite as good to me and I typically prefer to play yellow balls. I love both really and would have never tried either if it weren’t for Ballnamic. I’m definitely hitting the ball further and have no issues with stopping the ball on approaches.  

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

I played 3 full rounds with cs X LS and I can say I don't think it's for me, overall. It's super long off the tee but that translated into being longer with all my clubs... Including wedges. 

Overall, I felt less in control of scoring shots. It's also very firm and clicky.

I gamed the B X a little bit and it felt softer but I didn't notice any changes relative to z star, which is what I've been using for the last 6 months or so. 

I'd have to give it at least 3 rounds but so far I feel like z star is pretty much what I need. Lower spin off the tee, medium to medium high irons, and med high wedges. I'd consider cs x LS to be, low, low, medium