What do you consider to be a "Perfect Shot"?

2bGood

A few weeks a go I hit a 196yard 4 iron draw that landed on the green and rolled out to a foot. After the round (and over beers) one of my buddies referred to it as a 'perfect shot'. Right on the cue the multi-beer debate started. It was pointed out that it could only be a perfect shot if it went in the hole. Others argued that holing out was the perfect RESULT, not a perfect shot. Someone much wiser who saw the shot, said it was not event close to perfect as the shot called for a fade around the trees and I hit a draw over the trees only because I was incapable of hitting the fade (he is correct). Others argued that you don't need 'perfect strategy' to pull off a perfect shot - you only needed to hit the shot you intended to play. It was a fun debate for a laugh, and I was fast to say the shot was the best I could do, but was not perfect.

For you, what would you define as a "perfect shot"? 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

To me, any club longer than a wedge that goes exactly where I wanted it to with the exact flight that I wanted to and "felt" flushed is a perfect shot. For a 7 iron that is probably within 5 feet of a flag. With a 4 iron it is probably 10 ft. I have hit plenty of "perfect" drives that just landed in a fairway but matched the hole perfectly (typically this is where a long carry is needed over trouble and/or has a dogleg. 

Perfect putt, chip or pitch has to go in. Perfect wedge has to literally be in or hanging on the lip. 

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

57 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

When result = execution = intent = calculation.  You calculate the effective yardage, judge the lie, and choose the shot.  Your intent is to make that shot happen.  When your execution matches your intended shot and the result matches what you calculated was necessary, then you have the perfect shot.

This.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

If the ball does exactly what I intended, is a perfect shot. Perfection of intent and execution does not imply the ball ending up in the hole. There is a certain irreducible amount of randomness inherent in playing golf outdoors on imperfect surfaces. Not every perfectly struck golf ball will end up in the hole. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2bGood said:

A few weeks a go I hit a 196yard 4 iron draw that landed on the green and rolled out to a foot. After the round (and over beers) one of my buddies referred to it as a 'perfect shot'. Right on the cue the multi-beer debate started. It was pointed out that it could only be a perfect shot if it went in the hole. Others argued that holing out was the perfect RESULT, not a perfect shot. Someone much wiser who saw the shot, said it was not event close to perfect as the shot called for a fade around the trees and I hit a draw over the trees only because I was incapable of hitting the fade (he is correct). Others argued that you don't need 'perfect strategy' to pull off a perfect shot - you only needed to hit the shot you intended to play. It was a fun debate for a laugh, and I was fast to say the shot was the best I could do, but was not perfect.

For you, what would you define as a "perfect shot"? 

Bolded part is what I always considered a perfect shot. When the ball does EXACTLY what I envisioned. Outcome matter not. 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-PW - Mitsubishi MMT 105s
New Level 902 OS 50 - Mitsubishi MMT 105x

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

I’ve got a specific feel for contact and ball flight/bounce in mind. If the shot comes off the way I drew it up in my mind with the swing and contact I was thinking then it’s perfect. Going in is irrelevant, holing out isn’t what I have in mind a lot of the time - tee shots on par 4s and 5s, iron shots to greens with tucked pins, shaped shots around trees to inaccessible pins, etc. 

You can pretty easily wank a shot around the green that goes in, hard to call those perfect when you just got lucky. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

I’ve got a specific feel for contact and ball flight/bounce in mind. If the shot comes off the way I drew it up in my mind with the swing and contact I was thinking then it’s perfect. Going in is irrelevant, holing out isn’t what I have in mind a lot of the time - tee shots on par 4s and 5s, iron shots to greens with tucked pins, shaped shots around trees to inaccessible pins, etc. 

You can pretty easily wank a shot around the green that goes in, hard to call those perfect when you just got lucky. 

What you've said is very close to, "I know a perfect shot when I feel one". Which I think is pretty close to my definition. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

When result = execution = intent = calculation.  You calculate the effective yardage, judge the lie, and choose the shot.  Your intent is to make that shot happen.  When your execution matches your intended shot and the result matches what you calculated was necessary, then you have the perfect shot.

I agree with this, a perfect shot is one that is executed the exact way you wanted it to be. It does not need to go in the hole. 

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don’t think a perfect shot needs to go into the hole.  I bet there has been times when a tour pro hits a shot 10 feet right of the hole is a perfect shot.  So to me perfect shot is execution, but what I want to execute could be the polar opposite of others.

Edited by NJBigFish22
  • Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

I see lots of answers about what YOUR perfect shot is, but is it the same as A perfect shot. 

Some people can’t hit what objectively would be called a 'good shot', under many of the definitions above these poor shot could be THEIR perfect shot, but is it A perfect shot?

The example of my own shot - I hit a draw when the situation called for fade because of my lack of ability. Yes I hit a great shot, but would the golf world consider it an example of a perfect shot? 

If the answer is yes, does that make any shot made towards the maximum of someone’s ability ‘perfect’? 

Edited by 2bGood

8 hours ago, 2bGood said:

I see lots of answers about what YOUR perfect shot is, but is it the same as A perfect shot. 

Some people can’t hit what a objectively would be called a good shot, under many of the definitions above these poor shot could be THEIR perfect shot, but is it A perfect shot?

The example of my own shot - I hit a draw when the situation called for fade because of my lack of ability. Yes I hit a great shot, but would the golf world consider it an example of a perfect shot? 

If the answer is yes, does that make any shot made towards the maximum of someone’s ability ‘perfect’? 

Well of course it's relative to our ability.

I can eye up a 330-yard Par 4 and decide the perfect shot is a driver that starts high and down the middle, fades slightly and ends up just inside the edge of the fairway 110 yards from the flag and at an ideal angle. If I do that and it ends up a few feet from where I intended that might be a perfect shot.

Rory McIlroy eyes up that same tee shot and realizes a perfect shot with a driver starts high down the middle, draws 10 yards, lands on the front of the green and rolls right up to the hole. 

13 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Agreed. From prior sports, I’m a believer in visualization, and one of my sons is enjoying some success with this technique pre-match. 

Anyhow, I define a perfect shot in threes:

- I selected the correct shot for the situation (hole, lie, weather, etc.)

- I visualized my exact intent that I selected above. 
- The shot mirrored the visualization. 

A hole-out is luck, not perfection. 😉

• Like 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

13 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Well said and how I feel about it. The level of difficulty makes it feel even better, even if it is not necessarily more “perfect”.  For instance a perfectly executed short pitch shot that goes in the hole may be as “perfect” as a shot can be.  A shot with a higher degree of difficulty certainly makes me happier and creates the illusion of being “more perfect” when it clearly isn’t, but is just a “harder” or “better” shot.  
My natural shot shape is a fade so the most perfect shot (given my second definition) for me is something like a perfectly judged draw 4 iron, where all of @ThinkingPlus criteria are met.  A shot like that, hit to a few feet, is the most “perfect” feeling in golf.  That “perfect” feeling is what I chase after more than a “perfect” shot

• Like 1

Agree with the sentiment that a perfect shot is one that does just what you wanted it to do in the way you wanted to do it.  But the ball going into the hole can be impacted by any number of elements, like a horrible bounce, wind gust, or hitting the pin, it's hard to include that in the definition of perfection (even though I've included it myself at times).

10 hours ago, 2bGood said:

Some people can’t hit what a objectively would be called a good shot, under many of the definitions above these poor shot could be THEIR perfect shot, but is it A perfect shot?

To a large degree I agree with the other posters that anytime the shot aligns with my intention/mental imagery it is a great shot. 

But to your point, there is something to be said for the truly spectacular shot that requires something above and beyond the ordinary. There are a few shots that I can remember years later for exactly that reason. Not just a "perfectly executed" shot, but a shot so perfect for the hole and the moment. 

I no longer believe in the concept of perfect shots...I believe there is too many variables in golf for them to truly exist. Sometimes good intent and calculation gets a little lucky! 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Cobra Aerojet (14.5), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, A1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), X100

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS)

35” Daddy Long Legs

Srixon Z-Star XV

15 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I tried to form a better answer than this. 

I could not. 

Thinking+ nailed it because the perfect shot does not relate only to hitting a green or holing out. 

The perfect shot is one where the player fully executes the intention. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I would judge this as the perfect result.  A perfect swing is different (Tiger Woods kinda stuff).  A perfect shot would be the combination of the two.  Many of us can have one or the other fairly often and on the rare occasion, combine the two.  To do it frequently is very hard.  I had a number of perfect results this year.  Much fewer perfect swings and I don't really know if I had both at the same time. 😢  

Edit: on reflection, I did hit 2.  Both iron shots on 2 consecutive holes (56º and 7 iron - the kind of shot where you had to step to the side to see the flag) and both were tap-ins and weren't repeated for the remainder of the season.

Ping G400 9º TFC 419 Stiff at 45"

Jazz 3 wd Powercoil Stiff
Rogue 3iron Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
X2 Hot 4-AW Recoil 660 F3 +1/2"
Vokey SM2 52º cc, SM4 56°, SM4 60°
Ping Sigma2 Valor at 34.75"
MCC Align Midsize

The "perfect" golf shot to any golfer (in my mind) is when you visualize and imagine the shot so clearly, then you pull off that exact shot your see in your mind.

I wish all golfers could keep in mind that the ball in the hole does not mean it was "perfect" it just simply means the hole was in the way of the ball traveling. We have all made a putt on a terrible stroke, we have all missed putts on a stroke that felt perfect. 

7 hours ago, North Butte said:

Well of course it's relative to our ability.

I can eye up a 330-yard Par 4 and decide the perfect shot is a driver that starts high and down the middle, fades slightly and ends up just inside the edge of the fairway 110 yards from the flag and at an ideal angle. If I do that and it ends up a few feet from where I intended that might be a perfect shot.

Rory McIlroy eyes up that same tee shot and realizes a perfect shot with a driver starts high down the middle, draws 10 yards, lands on the front of the green and rolls right up to the hole. 

Not to pick on my wife, but are you saying she can hit a 'perfect golf shot'? Her ability rarely allows her to hit a shot that gets off the ground. For her she is attempting to make contact, get the ball about 20 feet in the air and have it travel 70 yards straight down the fairway. This is the limit of current ability and when she does it she is very happy.

Does there not have to be some minimum level of quality involved before a golf shop can be deemed 'perfect'?

For instance I actually believe I can not even contend to hit a perfect golf shot in some situation as I lack the physical ability now.

5 hours ago, ND2005 said:

To a large degree I agree with the other posters that anytime the shot aligns with my intention/mental imagery it is a great shot. 

But to your point, there is something to be said for the truly spectacular shot that requires something above and beyond the ordinary. There are a few shots that I can remember years later for exactly that reason. Not just a "perfectly executed" shot, but a shot so perfect for the hole and the moment

I feel like I have hit a few 'perfect golf shots' - My number one contender:

Hole 18 of fourball match. One down, needing to win the hole. My partner is in trouble on the hole and one of our opponent hits a great approach to 4ft below the hole- likely to make birdie. I have 95 yards with the green sloping towards me. I tell my partner that I am going to hit 105 yard wedge with spin over the flag and it should roll back and have a chance for eagle. My shot did exactly that. It was struck great, had the ball flight I imagined, landed where I want wanted, spun the way I had intended and rolled down the hill into the hole. 

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Not to pick on my wife, but are you saying she can hit a 'perfect golf shot'? Her ability rarely allows her to hit a shot that gets off the ground. For her she his attempting to make contact, get the ball about 20 feet in the air and have it travel 70 yards straight down the fairway. 

Does there not have to be some minimum level of quality involved before a golf shop can be deemed 'perfect'?

For instance I actually believe I can not even contend to hit a perfect golf shot in some situation as I lack the physical ability.

For her that would be the perfect shot?  If we take away individual playing abilities it would mean we are all great swingers and contradict what a perfect shot is in the first place because majority of our shots would be perfect. If she advances she would have higher expectations of her "perfect shot."

35 minutes ago, Ifelloffladder said:

For her that would be the perfect shot?  If we take away individual playing abilities it would mean we are all great swingers and contradict what a perfect shot is in the first place because majority of our shots would be perfect. If she advances she would have higher expectations of her "perfect shot."

Sure it is a HER perfect shot, but not a perfect golf shot. At least not I'm my view. You have to have some level of ability and skill to hit a perfect golf shot.

per·fect ˈpər-fikt 

abeing entirely without fault or defect
bsatisfying all requirements 
ccorresponding to an ideal standard or abstract concept
dfaithfully reproducing the original specifically  
elegally valid

15 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Sure it is a HER perfect shot, but not a perfect golf shot. At least not I'm my view. You have to have some level of ability and skill to hit a perfect golf shot.

Well if you take the literal definition of what a perfect shot is then for me it would be hitting the ball into the hole from your approach shot after hitting a perfect drive. That is the only thing I can think of that could define what a perfect shot is if we take it literally.

8 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

I would guess, by definition, a perfect golf shot is one that goes in the hole. That being said, most of mine have been made by my putter.

Given there is many instances where the ball going in the hole is not any way reasonably possible, I don't see it strictly as a requirement. 

There is also the argument that even when it is possible for the ball to go in the hole, there are too many imperceptible and uncontrollable factors at play to require the result to be a ball in the hole.

9 minutes ago, Ifelloffladder said:

Well if you take the literal definition of what a perfect shot is then for me it would be hitting the ball into the hole from your approach shot after hitting a perfect drive. That is the only thing I can think of that could define what a perfect shot is if we take it literally.

That is a prefect result, no doubt about it. But given the ball does at times go in the hole by accident, I am not sure a hole-out is a perfect shot without other factors at play.

4 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

Given there is many instances where the ball going in the hole is not any way reasonably possible, I don't see it strictly as a requirement. 

There is also the argument that even when it is possible for the ball to go in the hole, there are too many imperceptible and uncontrollable factors at play to require the result to be a ball in the hole.

I guess, for me, would be a shot that goes where I want, particularly if it is so solidly you can’t even feel it.