2022 LPGA Year in Review

Argonne69

Another season in the books. 32 events played (with 2 canceled). 26 different winners from 15 countries, including 11 first time winners. Thoughts? 

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, Argonne69 said:

I have to say this felt like an odd year. With Jin Young and Nelly dominating last year, even though we had five multi-time winners, it felt like there was no dominant player. 

I believe the top story of the year was the number of first time winners, including several journeywomen who won after being on the tour for years. 

The rookies had a very nice year, but I was surprised that Hye Jin didn't win. 'Plenty of top 10s, but didn't get across the finish line first.

Atthaya briefly reaching the #1 spot was quite the story. It'll be interesting to see if she backtracks in her sophomore season, or keeps plowing ahead.

'Great to see the Lydia of "old". Three wins, PoY, and another Var was a real statement that she's back. Two points shy of the HoF. I expect her to get them before the mid-point of next year.

The medical scares from Danielle and Nelly makes one pause. Hopefully the worst is behind them.

It's always a good year for me when In Gee gets a win. 'Doesn't happen often enough, but makes it even more special when it does.

Nice to see some of the young players who struggled when they came on tour during the pandemic find some form, e.g. Andrea.

It's unfortunate that the CME Tour Championship had a minor controversy with the CME dinner. 'Hate to see the season end on a sour note.

@Argonne69 I think it was mentioned during several tournaments this year...if only Lydia had consistently hit it off the tee straight she probably would have won. If she has really sorted that out as we have seen in her the last few tournaments then HOF is only a couple of tournaments away. For the rest of the players that could be a scary thought for 2023. 

The forced absence of JYK, Nelly, Danielle Kang and Minjee after the WD from the CP Women's Open certainly had a bearing on them being more dominant than Lydia. It's going to take something extra special from Jeeno to get back the RR#1 as a teenager given the one tournament she has to do it. That Pelican win by Nelly makes it even harder. 

I guess CME Groups donations are tax deductible and they get good exposure all year for their investment.  No excuse though for the no show at the dinner as it was Tuesday night not the night before the tournament.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The rookies had a very nice year, but I was surprised that Hye Jin didn't win. 'Plenty of top 10s, but didn't get across the finish line first.

Atthaya briefly reaching the #1 spot was quite the story. It'll be interesting to see if she backtracks in her sophomore season, or keeps plowing ahead.

Hye-Jin was a bit of a shocker not winning, but you can tell she has the game for this level. Will she win next year, who knows, her chances look good for sure. Should we expect another 10 top 10's, maybe, I feel like 7-10 sounds fair.

Jeeno's overall season wasn't much of a shocker, any fan of women's golf saw that coming. Reaching number 1 was pretty cool, but don't forget she was 19th coming into the season, so I suppose 2 wins and 16 top tens could do that.

As for your backtracking comment, it's not an easy task winning twice and nailing 16 top 10's. So if she wins 1 and has 12 top 10's next year is that considered backtracking? Nah, that's called being consistent. Even if she fails to win but has a dozen top 10's, that's still pretty damn consistent given the talent pool today. 

Should be fun to watch for sure.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Hacker76 said:

I enjoy watching the ladies but something is missing from this tour. I don't know what but some type of more excitement. 

To be honest, this was the first year I got a bit bored watching a few events. I just couldn't give it my full attention for whatever reason. 

• Like 2

Happy to see Buhai, Jodi, and Gemma W this year. 

Sad that Khang, Xiyu, Altomare, Alison Lee did not cross the finish line yet (!)

I'd still give Hye Jin an A+ on the season, she may not have won, but she earned a lot of $.  Corpuz had an excellent rookie season as well, but gets forgotten amongst the elites from her class. 

I enjoyed the match play event, hopefully with the rescheduling next season, more the top players decide to play since it's not a week before a major. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

On a positive note for the year, it was nice to see Maja,Kupcho,Leona, Andrea, Janet, and Lilia Vu make some positive moves. It's nice to see fresh faces on Sunday afternoons. 

The dilemma is that when the big names are duking it out at the top, the rookies and winless veterans are often no where to be seen, or they're in contention, but fading. It was nice to see a handful of players pick up a trophy when in the past they'd have stumbled badly on Sunday.

• Like 1

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

Would definitely like to see a thorough review of the schedule to reduce the travel and conflicts with the majors. 'Probably not going to happen, as its hard enough getting a course to close for an event. We talked about it at various parts of the season, but whether its scheduling, or just larger payouts allowing more players to sit out events, it seems that many tournaments had weaker fields than usual. 'Good for the struggling players, but not so much for the fans and sponsors.

• Like 2

I'm somewhat of a newcomer to the LPGA and probably watched more of it this season than ever.  A few thoughts in no particular order:

- The Asian apparel is fantastic.  Seriously.

- Something about watching Ko go about her business is mesmerizing.  Classy.

- Why does Lexi make everything golf look so difficult?  Her off balance finish drives me nuts.

I'm thinking her raw athleticism keeps her in the game.  Love her attitude though.

Happy Thanksgiving fellow WRXnutz!

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

I always love to see the 30 somethings win. It was good to see Lexi hoist a trophy, albeit on the LET. Looking forward to her and Nelly back at Tiburon in a couple weeks. (I see Lexi's partner is Maverick McNealy....hmmm interesting!). Also looking forward to seeing pics of Lydia's nuptials as she is one of my very favorites. Also, 2 Finns to follow on the LPGA was fun for me this season. It will be at least 2 in 2023 with Matilda and Kiira, just not sure about Sanna. Also enjoyed following Linn Grant, just wish it could have been more on US soil. Need to get our act together regarding covid travel.  

Edited by MagicClassic407
more info
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

...I see Lexi's partner is Maverick McNealy....hmmm interesting!). 

Guessing you mean the QBE shootout partnering?

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/lists/pga-tour-qbe-shootout-field-nelly-korda-lexi-thompson-lpga/

https://www.pgatour.com/news/2022/11/03/qbe-shootout-field-announce-pga-tour-lpga-stars-southwest-florida-tiburon-golf-club.webview.html 

At first glance ... thought you meant they're paired up "as an item"!

"Maverick McNealy—Lexi Thompson (11 career victories) These two 27-year-olds will represent another new team. Both were highly touted amateurs early in their careers, with McNealy being the world’s top amateur in 2017. McNealy recorded three top-10 finishes in his last seven starts of the season and combined the twosome was among the top 20 this season 18 times.  Thompson is an 11-time LPGA winner, two-time Olympian and has played on five  United States Solheim Cup teams."

"

Edited by JungleJimbo

15 minutes ago, MagicClassic407 said:

I always love to see the 30 somethings win. It was good to see Lexi hoist a trophy, albeit on the LET. Looking forward to her and Nelly back at Tiburon in a couple weeks. (I see Lexi's partner is Maverick McNealy....hmmm interesting!). Also looking forward to seeing pics of Lydia's nuptials as she is one of my very favorites. Also, 2 Finns to follow on the LPGA was fun for me this season. It will be at least 2 in 2023 with Matilda and Kiira, just not sure about Sanna. Also enjoyed following Linn Grant, just wish it could have been more on US soil. Need to get our act together regarding covid travel.  

Ditto re Linn Grant, she's box office.

Linn just thinned a hybrid into the 8th green bunker (and out) in the current LET event so looks like she needs a new coach (some will understand this reference).

• Like 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Tell Me GIF by Nico Santos

Jennifer Aniston Fighting GIF

Ooh you can guess the inference...Lexi McNealy? Lexi Thompson-McNealy? Lexi McNealy-Thompson?

• Haha 2

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

9 minutes ago, Rapidcat said:

Ooh you can guess the inference...Lexi McNealy? Lexi Thompson-McNealy? Lexi McNealy-Thompson?

Googled it & only found this (amongst the other recent QBE Shootout news)

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/06/18/danielle-kang-boyfriend-maverick-mcnealy-a-perfect-match-on-the-links/

Danielle Kang, boyfriend Maverick McNealy a perfect match on the links

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Googled it & only found this (amongst the other recent QBE Shootout news)

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2019/06/18/danielle-kang-boyfriend-maverick-mcnealy-a-perfect-match-on-the-links/

Danielle Kang, boyfriend Maverick McNealy a perfect match on the links

They broke up a year or so ago (as you know the article is from 2019).....so Mav has 'form' with LPGA pros.

1 minute ago, ChronicSlicer said:

Keep it going, LPGA needs a little rivalry...Lexi vs DK.. 🤣

Yep, leave it to me...pity I don't even get paid for this.

• Haha 3

My nomination for most improved player of the year goes to Jennifer K. From winless to three wins was a major improvement. She still lacks consistency, though. In addition to her wins, she only managed one other top 10. She missed 4 cuts, the same number as 2021.

• Like 4

The great thing about the LPGAT is nothing is certain.

Players dominant one year can disappear the next (Patty, SHP).

Newcomers can have a big impact (Jeeno).

Interesting, exciting for us, tough for the participants.

Looking forward to 2023. Would be nice if Linn Grant can get a gig.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

My nomination for most improved player of the year goes to Jennifer K. From winless to three wins was a major improvement. She still lacks consistency, though. In addition to her wins, she only managed one other top 10. She missed 4 cuts, the same number as 2021.

It's funny, if you subtract her wins from the record, she may have been more consistent the year prior. I dubbed her the female Scottie Scheffler i.e she was too talented to not W and wasn't surprised when she started stacking them up!

15 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

I think when I look back, this year still feels like the year Minjee Lee ascended and became more than just a solid player. It seems like just yesterday she was "Miss Kuchar" taking home big money but never getting the actual victories. 

When she won the Evian last year as her first major I think people wondered whether that'd be all that she did. I think winning twice this year, including major #2 at the US Women's Open was a big deal. She was the dominant player at that point. I'm wondering if that was just a few months of bliss with the putter or whether she'll return with that form in 2023?

Like Nelly Korda, Minjee's got one of those swings I could watch all day so if she plays a major role next year, I'll be excited to watch!

Someone mentioned the somewhat disappointing disappearance of Patty T, but I'm kind of sad Lee6 didn't play a larger role. I see she's fallen to 39th in the Rolex Rankings, too. Wonder what's going on there. Any idea? She seems to have fallen back into the "contender" category. I mean, c'mon, even Jess Korda is still in the top-20 and it feels like she's got one foot out the door and into retirement, haha. Lee6 always seemed really solid top to bottom so I'm not sure why she would be outside the top-15. I know she tweaked her swing but I thought it had all come together.  

To the point, the South Koreans sort of collectively got over-taken this year from Jin Young's injury to Lee6 and Sei-Young Kim going quiet. At this point Ingee and Hyo-Joo Kim are the 2nd and 3rd ranked players from South Korea. As much as I love watching Ingee, she doesn't contend nearly as often as you or I would like to see. What a shame. 

Anyway, I can't wait to get started with 2023. There are so many players now that are not only top names but really pleasant golfers to watch. Great swings all around. There are so many names to watch next year, you just don't know where to start!

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 3

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I was going to comment on Sei Young's disappointing year, no wins and only 5 top 10's, but then I looked at her 2021 season, and it was basically the same. In '21 she had no wins and only 4 top 10s. She had a 2T finish at the Pelican that year, but her previous top 10 was back in May '21.  'No idea what's going on there.

I'd say Hinako and Na Rin both shad a disappointing rookie season. Five top 10s, but they were never really in contention. Na Rin did have a fantastic opening two rounds at the CWO, but faded on the weekend.

• Like 1

The stand-out for me this year was Lydia Ko and her very stylised pre-shot routines, on both putter and longer clubs. This looks like pure Sport Psychology - trust your coach, trust your routine. Many athletes do it - high jumpers, long jumpers, tennis players and so on. What's important is that in Lydia's case it has worked like a charm. I seem to remember that Lydia did some psychology courses as part of her education, so I'm sure she sees it's value. So one thing I'll be looking for in 2023 is more players adopting similar pre-shot routines. 

On the subject of psychology, this year showed me just how important motivation can be. I'm sure that this was a factor in some of the first time wins - Paula Reto pretty much said so, for instance, after Buhai won. Or maybe you could call this a mixture of motivation and self-belief, another important element that Lexi seems to have missed all season. And when you saw how hard players were trying to compete for money and their tour cards in the CME it indicated to me that there is a difference between "cruising" through the season and going for broke. 

I get the impression that putting has improved over the last 5 years or so. I don't have any stats, so please confirm if you know of any. I saw a lot of longer putts going in this season, which is more like you expect from the men's game.