2022 LPGA Year in Review

Argonne69

12 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Reminder of how much harder it was before ‘99.

30 wins with at least two majors

35 wins with at least one major

40 wins if no majors 

That’s it, no PoY, no Vare, no Olympics, no 5th major. 

That's one side of the equation. The other side is the depth of field. 

We're certainly now in a time when anyone in the Top-50 can win. 

What were fields like in the '80s and '90s? 

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

56 minutes ago, agolf1 said:

This is the rub; I don't think anyone disagrees with the first two statements in bold.  The third one may be up for debate, but I think most see the challenges of 27.

I think what people struggle with is (something along these lines) if the player was a Top 5 - Top 10 player for a decade, her contributions to the game/tour/history are there.  They were the best of the time and that deserves to get in?

FWIW, I also tend to favour longevity over a 3-year (+/- ) window where someone went crazy.  This is also why I think IF the criteria is adjusted, it is better adjusted just by lowering the total points required.  POY and Vare are already there so I wouldn't suggest removing them, but these are things that favour a player that had a really hot flash.  I think wins and majors are what people really remember.  I know I'd rather win 4x and lose the Vare than win 3x and win the Vare.

I agree with all that. I think you're spot on. 

The one thing I think works nicely with the POTY / Vare thing is that you're essentially making the rich even richer, right? And in this case, I think that's a good thing. You want to reward a small minority of the greatest players and so you're basically letting them double-dip during their most elite seasons. You're specifically trying to find the "special" players like Inbee and Lydia and nudge them a bit further out in front and those awards do a good job of that, as do the Majors being double-points. 

When the LPGA removed the 10-yr rule it was definitely aimed at letting Lorena in and with an eye towards careers getting shorter (and trying to keep the HoF relevant). It didn't say much for the relevance of the HoF when Lorena could've been eligible by merely playing another 2 seasons and simply declined. But in doing so, the HoF basically said they care as much about short bursts of greatness as they do longevity.  

TBH, I would probably just amend the "Honorary Member" vote to include fringe players deemed worthy a decade or so after retirement. That would be a good way to let the folks on the committee literally have this discussion about strength of field on a player-by-player basis. Right now, the Honorary inductees are more like people who've done something to advance the cause of the LPGA Examples would include Judy Rankin and Shirley Spork who was a Founder, player, Teacher and organizer.

AFAIK, the HoF hasn't really gotten into the business of throwing sympathy towards players like Kerr who fell slightly short unless they've been very involved with promoting the game post-retirement. 

With Kerr showing no signs of looking to "grow the game" via commentating or whatever, I doubt she's thrown a bone. 

Then again, maybe we'll look back and be fine with the fact that Brooke and Lexi didn't make it. All it takes is someone like Atthaya to suddenly make us forget about all that. What if Atthaya becomes THE player of the next 5-6 years and repeats what Lydia has done as a pro? She's young enough that she could spend 10 years winning and appears to have the talent to win Majors, stay at #1 for prolonged stretches and probably win 3-4 times in a year if she really got hot. 

Inbee was a super ball-striker and a great putter. She was as clutch as they came, too. Her winning the 1st Gold Medal when many South Korean voices didn't even think she gave her country the best chance was so fitting. And Lydia is much the same. She of course medaled in both Olympics winning Silver in '16 and Bronze in '21. 

When you think about Lexi you think about how she's fundamentally flawed--held back by objectively bad putting. Does that deserve to be overlooked? Brooke is not entirely different. I think part of what gets to the HoF is being great as an all-around player. You look at Kerr--great putter and she of course, got really close. Tseng was good. Jin Young Ko is great from tee to green as well and can putt plenty fine. 

So maybe we shouldn't be making excuses for this era of players because many are simply questionable putters: Lexi, Brooke, Minjee, etc.

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

You might be on to something @Medson

A graduated system where longevity plays into points may not be a bad thing. After all, it definitely means a lot more when we get to see veterans win knowing how much work and effort when into it. It would also alleviate the absurdity of someone in the 30s having to win tons of tournaments knowing that almost certainly isn't going to happen. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Thanks 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

36 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

Judy Rankin was not an Honorary inductee. 

is there any published criteria wrt Honorary Members for the LPGA hall of fame?

https://www.lpga.com/lpga-hall-of-fame/lpga-hall-of-fame-criteria

i found this on the same LPGA website wrt Judy Rankin. 

https://www.lpga.com/players/judy-rankin/81801/bio

“The LPGA Hall of Fame Committee can also induct selected individuals through the Honorary Category. The Veterans Category, with inductees nominated by the former Veterans Committee, was created specifically to recognize players Donna Caponi, Marlene Bauer Hagge and Judy Rankin. All three players were granted induction after new LPGA Tour Hall of Fame criteria was introduced in 1999 because they were retired and had met the new 27-point criteria during their playing careers. The Veterans Category has since been dissolved.“

https://www.lpga.com/news/2022/lpga-announces-changes-to-lpga-hall-of-fame-criteria-including-inductions-of-ochoa-and-founders

To qualify for the LPGA Hall of Fame, Members of the LPGA Tour who were active in 1998 and going forward must meet a minimum point threshold of 27 points. One point is awarded for each LPGA Tour official event win, two points for each LPGA Tour major championship, one point for each Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honor earned and now one point for an Olympic gold medal. Players must also have won or been awarded at least one of the following – an LPGA Tour major championship, the Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honors.

The LPGA Hall of Fame Committee can also induct selected individuals through the Honorary Category. The Veterans Category, with inductees nominated by the former Veterans Committee, was created specifically to recognize players Donna Caponi, Marlene Bauer Hagge and Judy Rankin. All three players were granted induction after new LPGA Tour Hall of Fame criteria was introduced in 1999 because they were retired and had met the new 27-point criteria during their playing careers. The Veterans Category has since been dissolved.

The LPGA Hall of Fame Committee includes LPGA Commissioner Mollie Marcoux Samaan, Heather Daly-Donofrio, Vicki Goetze-Ackerman, Kelly Schultz, Mike Waldron, Beth Daniel, Sandra Haynie, Leta Lindley, Se Ri Pak and Karrie Webb.”

1 hour ago, MelloYello said:

TBH, I would probably just amend the "Honorary Member" vote to include fringe players deemed worthy a decade or so after retirement. That would be a good way to let the folks on the committee literally have this discussion about strength of field on a player-by-player basis. Right now, the Honorary inductees are more like people who've done something to advance the cause of the LPGA Examples would include Judy Rankin and Shirley Spork who was a Founder, player, Teacher and organizer.

Edited by JungleJimbo

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

is there any published criteria wrt Honorary Members for the LPGA hall of fame?

https://www.lpga.com/lpga-hall-of-fame/lpga-hall-of-fame-criteria

i found this on the same LPGA website wrt Judy Rankin. 

https://www.lpga.com/players/judy-rankin/81801/bio

https://www.lpga.com/news/2022/lpga-announces-changes-to-lpga-hall-of-fame-criteria-including-inductions-of-ochoa-and-founders

To qualify for the LPGA Hall of Fame, Members of the LPGA Tour who were active in 1998 and going forward must meet a minimum point threshold of 27 points. One point is awarded for each LPGA Tour official event win, two points for each LPGA Tour major championship, one point for each Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honor earned and now one point for an Olympic gold medal. Players must also have won or been awarded at least one of the following – an LPGA Tour major championship, the Vare Trophy or Rolex Player of the Year honors.

The LPGA Hall of Fame Committee can also induct selected individuals through the Honorary Category. The Veterans Category, with inductees nominated by the former Veterans Committee, was created specifically to recognize players Donna Caponi, Marlene Bauer Hagge and Judy Rankin. All three players were granted induction after new LPGA Tour Hall of Fame criteria was introduced in 1999 because they were retired and had met the new 27-point criteria during their playing careers. The Veterans Category has since been dissolved.

The LPGA Hall of Fame Committee includes LPGA Commissioner Mollie Marcoux Samaan, Heather Daly-Donofrio, Vicki Goetze-Ackerman, Kelly Schultz, Mike Waldron, Beth Daniel, Sandra Haynie, Leta Lindley, Se Ri Pak and Karrie Webb.”

In 1999 they changed the criteria for the Hall. Judy did not meet the old criteria but did meet the new, except for being an active player. I believe she was admitted in 2002 by the veteran’s committee. 

The Honorary inductees are the Founders who weren’t already in and Dinah Shore. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Seamus_McDuff said:

In 1999 they changed the criteria for the Hall. Judy did not meet the old criteria but did meet the new, except for being an active player. I believe she was admitted in 2002 by the veteran’s committee. 

The Honorary inductees are the Founders who weren’t already in and Dinah Shore. 

Yeah, I was sloppy. "Honorary" is it's own unique thing. So you're correct. 

Having to go back and induct people that didn't originally qualify is definitely something I would think they'd want to avoid doing. I could understand not wanting to change the 27 number if they felt it'd compel them to do that. But then again, they can make up the rules as they go. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

I would. Her putting sucks out loud. 

It's bad enough it can't be avoided in a conversation about HoF qualifiers like Inbee Park and Lydia Ko, 2 of the best. 

You gonna tell us Lexi's fundamental problem with the flat-stick isn't a major hurdle that's held her back from being more dominant and potentially a HoF qualifier?! 

It's literally the single most important factor!

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

1 hour ago, Boricua Golf said:

I have to say the Paula Reto's win was personally great, I caddied for her at the Lotte Championship (twice) and I knew she has the game, the issue was injuries and just bad breaks, finally it all came together at the CP Women's Open, it was actually nice watching the LPGA this year, L. Ko was just incredible...

That's cool to hear. How did you end up caddying for her? 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS