TOUR BX VS DTC

Bsudgolf

https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/direct-to-consumer-golf-balls-snell-vice-oncore

I love the BX. Great feel, excellent ball and suprisingly good on pitch spin. it's my current go-to ball.

googled you a list, seems you like to find fast higher compression ball with low spin ?

Not sure from these names whether there is a such a ball towards the target market. Maybe focus on their distance balls like Vice Pro, Vice Drive, Vice Tour, depending on cover choice for the green. Personally, i did not like Pro - it was too firm. I find that mid tier balls with less spin, really have less spin. i prefer to rely on carry, rather than rolling out.

Snell seem to be a solid proven competitor from what i've read around the forum and closer to U.S market. X seems to be distance / SS ball vs the standard tour ball, Black.

Trust are a brand i can see in stores locally, but have never tried them. I was put off by my experience from v-plus, where the ball was simply too hard. They pitch the same story, but the results are often different. Bison XL (maybe the X) might be the "same" marketted ball. It's about half price of a BX.

Still need to go through some testing with E.R.C soft before i will dabble into some new experiment 😛 

Callaway Rogue ST Triple D 7* - Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 7-x

Cobra F9 Tour FW 3 / 4 / 5 - Aldila Tour Green ATX 75 X 

Cobra RF Rev 33 4-Pw - KBS C-Taper 120 S

Cobra MiM Black Wedges - 52C 12*, 56WL 7*, 60WL 4* - KBS C-Taper 130 X  

Toulon SSM Proto 35"

Tour B X ball

Callaway Craw's Nestie 2018 Open Staff Bag.

3 hours ago, The Pearl said:

I would start with the obvious, the X versions of Vice (Pro Plus), Snell MTB-X, and Maxfli X CG. 

You can play around with the info on the MGS ball test page from 2021.

My thing though is price. If I buy 2dz snell with shipping they gonna be Around 43 bucks a dozen if I'm gonna do that then why not just pay few more bucks and buy the Tour BX? Now the Maxfli would probably be the cheapest of them All. Really the DTC balls are inching their way up in price and getting closer to the prices of Brand name balls. 

• Like 1

I've found the Vice pro plus to be quite similar indoor on a launch monitor, and feel wise.

Maybe not as good in the wind though, the tour b x really shines there among all balls.

Also a bit more bite in the short game for the tour b x.

Don't online retailers sometimes have very good deals on bridgestone? If you buy at the right time and stock up it might end up being a similar cost as the vice.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Longdriver295 said:

My thing though is price. If I buy 2dz snell with shipping they gonna be Around 43 bucks a dozen if I'm gonna do that then why not just pay few more bucks and buy the Tour BX? Now the Maxfli would probably be the cheapest of them All. Really the DTC balls are inching their way up in price and getting closer to the prices of Brand name balls. 

Vice just ran a Black Friday sale for 25 bucks a dozen with free shipping.

With that said I generally agree with your point that the DTC balls are slowly creeping up in price.  Unless you are just rifling balls all over the place and generally suck at golf, I am not sure how much actual money the average golfer is saving.  For most people it might be less than 100 bucks a season. I think for the most part is more mental than financial.

16 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

With that said I generally agree with your point that the DTC balls are slowly creeping up in price.  Unless you are just rifling balls all over the place and generally suck at golf, I am not sure how much actual money the average golfer is saving.  For most people it might be less than 100 bucks a season. I think for the most part is more mental than financial.

Well I play to a 4hcp so hardly ever do I lose a Ball, As long as it looks good, I may play 36 holes with it, Then it goes into the woods or pond On Purpose.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Longdriver295 said:

Well I play to a 4hcp so hardly ever do I lose a Ball, As long as it looks good, I may play 36 holes with it, Then it goes into the woods or pond On Purpose.

I am a 4 also and the same for me. I play about 100 rounds a year. I wear out more balls than I lose. Rough estimate is I go through about 4 dozen balls a year so paying full retail for Bridgestone or Titleist may cost me an extra 100 bucks a year above playing a DTC ball at the recent Vice price of 25 bucks. Less than 100 bucks for purchasing them any other time of the year.

Perhaps Titleist brings back the loyalty program and you are under 38 bucks a dozen for 4 dozen. 

Walking over dimes to pick up pennies. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Pearl said:

I am a 4 also and the same for me. I play about 100 rounds a year. I wear out more balls than I lose. Rough estimate is I go through about 4 dozen balls a year so paying full retail for Bridgestone or Titleist may cost me an extra 100 bucks a year above playing a DTC ball at the recent Vice price of 25 bucks. Less than 100 bucks for purchasing them any other time of the year.

Perhaps Titleist brings back the loyalty program and you are under 38 bucks a dozen for 4 dozen. 

Walking over dimes to pick up pennies. 

So you playing the Vice balls, buying the 5 dozen at time?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Pearl said:

I had to pay $6.99 shipping for 6 dozen Pro Plus. With tax it's about $28 per dozen.

Maxfli has free shipping with 2 for $60.

Edited by Ger21
  • Like 1

Sub 70 849 Pro 10.5° - Tour AD-IZ 6S
Sub 70 949X 4 wood - Tour AD-IZ 7S

Honma TW-X 3 iron - Vizzard 85S

Srixon Z-765 4i, 5i - Srixon Z-965 6-PW - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S

Nike VR Pro Wedges (black nitride by Flanigan Bilt) - Fujikura Pro Iron 95i Tour Spec S - 52°-10°, 56°-14°, 60°-10°

Grips - Star Sidewinder 360 / Sticky Opus Black

Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport (1998) - KBS black CT Tour, Iomic Black Army

2019 Maxfli Tour - Yellow (transitioning into Vice Pro Plus Shade)

Vessel Player III - Iridium

I have gone back and forth between Snell MTB-X and the Tour B X for a couple years.  I find the Snell is just not as good FOR ME as the Tour B X.  I get more distance, more control in the wind, and better green holding with the Tour B X.  I hate the Tour B X $50/box price tag, but I hate high scores even more...

I have yet to hit a Vice ball that I'd spend another plug nickel on.  Just don't like them.  Even worse than the Snell for me.  Haven't tried any other DTC manufacturers.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I would consider the Maxfli Tour balls.  They get good reviews.  There is a long thread in this section where you can see which one will work for you.  Dick's and Golf Galaxy have 2 dozen for $60.  I just picked up a couple of dozen to try myself.

• Like 1

Driver: Cobra LTDx
5W: Ping G30
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - SW: Ping G25
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Dale Anser

Ball:  Snell MTBX, Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour