Drills to reduce secondary tilt

FormerBigDaddy

I had another thread with launch monitor numbers that confirmed to me some things I thought I knew that I cannot refute any longer. 

I swing inside out (sometimes as much as 6 degrees with driver) and I swing up on the ball (as much as 18 degrees with driver). I can produce some low spin  and carry it decent with it but there’s a flip involved producing a 2 way miss. With irons and woods I struggle with thins and fats. Again, hitting up on the ball. I can hit some nice shots off the tee which kind of saves my you know what but I struggle on my second shots, especially with longer clubs as the ball gets more forward in my stance. 

Long story short, I need to work on staying more level, keeping my rear back and spine angle and ultimately swinging more down the line or left. When I rehearse my downswing with the thought of keeping my head “level” or down and moving forward, while still rotating around my spine, I do seem to be able to level out some and I can really feel my rotation going more left. 

I have a mat and net in my garage and I was envisioning some sort of noodle or something over my head while I swing as a drill. To help me feel like I’m staying level and moving my head forward as I follow through under the noodle. Is there any kind of device or other drills that might help me with my issue? 

Currently an 8.2 HC. 

Edited by FormerBigDaddy

Are you doing this to shallow a steep shaft?

Have to fix that first but here’s a drill.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CbK-aUijOok/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

I don't mean to derail your thread, but surely EIGHTEEN degrees up is a typo right? I've seen some extreme exaggerations and long drive tee heights get up towards 10... but I cannot fathom what it would take to double that.

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

7 minutes ago, Celeras said:

I don't mean to derail your thread, but surely EIGHTEEN degrees up is a typo right? I've seen some extreme exaggerations and long drive tee heights get up towards 10... but I cannot fathom what it would take to double that.

I was thinking the same thing, either a funky reading from the LM or using a 10" tee!

I've struggled with this for about the last 10 years and I'm finally getting rid of this.  It's really impossible to tell without guessing unless there's a video of the swing.  Also helps to know what your swing beliefs and intentions are.

For me, there were a plethora of issues causing it, but I had to start out with the grip and wrist action first.  Then work on the lower body movements, particularly in the backswing.  I used to try and do the move that Monte shows, but in my case the lower body was the issue as I would do that move with the trail shoulder late because I was really hanging back with the trail leg.  Shear forces were all messed up.  And some of that was caused by some issues with my address position.

My guess is the biggest issue is your lower body action in the backswing.  

RH

Lead shoulder need to move down, out and forward to start the downswing. Trail shoulder need to feel high and remain back and deep. Any lifting and spinning around of the lead shoulder too early is a death move. Sergio Garcia is the perfect example of lead shoulder down, trail shoulder high and no early turning of the shoulders on the downswing. Sergio has no axis tilt. He almost does it too well and hits down too much.

1CEFAC10-26E8-4C4E-A7FF-177632E50C17.jpeg

1011FB48-BF48-44EC-ADC6-DCCAE2152104.jpeg

Sounds stupid - but slow down your swing motion until you can replicate it accurately then build up speed.  Like if your swing speed is 100 mph - learn to hit balls at 35/50 mph until you engrain the motion.  It's that simple.

Hit 3 super slow motion balls to engrain the feel - then hit 1 at regular speed.

Hit 3 more at super slow motion - and 1 more at regular speed.

etc.

You're an 8 index so you have capability - but just like any process in your life or work - if something seems too difficult to execute all at once - then break it down into parts that you know you can execute - and build up from there.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dap said:

Lead shoulder need to move down, out and forward to start the downswing. Trail shoulder need to feel high and remain back and deep. Any lifting and spinning around of the lead shoulder too early is a death move. Sergio Garcia is the perfect example of lead shoulder down, trail shoulder high and no early turning of the shoulders on the downswing. Sergio has no axis tilt. He almost does it too well and hits down too much.

1CEFAC10-26E8-4C4E-A7FF-177632E50C17.jpeg

1011FB48-BF48-44EC-ADC6-DCCAE2152104.jpeg

Sergio is a good example. The reason he is able to make this move with hardly any axis tilt is because of how low his hands get and the shallow shaft. The shaft is below his trail forearm when the left arm is dtl, that is extremely shallow position, if he tilted at all it would be a disaster so your body will naturally not have much tilt. 

image.png.36222d2c351e92687c65b11674b6a21d.png

All good stuff here.  The secondary problem I'll have to address at the same time is my flip.  Obviously I've spent a lot of time swinging really inside out and up and the only ways I've figured out to keep it in play is to either flip or take it back with the clubface really shut.  But it's good to finally know exactly what I need to work on.

My swing coach this week had me feel like I was turning level through the ball on the downswing and keeping the head height at the same level.  I was becoming obsessed with right side bend and dropping the trail shoulder too much.  On video I still had right side bend but for me I felt like my downswing shoulder turn was level/horizontal     I also felt my arms had more freedom to swing through impact and keep the chest turning through impact.   

I had the same problem for a long time. For the time being, make your practice swings faster than what you want your swing to be while maintaining the tilt you want.  A lot of times, we will push off of our left leg hard, tilting the left hip up and spine away from the target, in order to produce speed.  You obviously have the ability to make the movements you want, but you have to be able to make them WITH SPEED.  Second, do some weighted side bends with dumbbells.  This will help you activate and strengthen your external obliques to make the move you want easier.

Left and right secondary tilt demands real core strength and flexibility.

Best way to train this is to do the dynamic Yeshua drill.

(Spread arms and put a long stick behind the neck.

Now make 50 full swings within full balance and point the stick in front of the feet each half turn.

Edited by baudi