Where do we sign up for Club Collectors Anonymous? I think I have a problem.

Wade Patton

Heh, brought more sets than that south with me for the winter to play.  There's still several at the house and I'm most assuredly a rookie at this.

Good luck hunting.  🙂

ETA: I LOVE the look of those standards.

IMG_0320.jpeg.1cae5c5641e5d563d8b0418d052190a3.jpeg

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Yeah @Wade Patton you're just barely scratching the surface my friend.  I'm up to 14 sets now currently residing in the man cave.  We don't discuss the other sets still out in the garage that haven't been cleaned up and fixed up yet.  

• Like 3

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

3 hours ago, raggal62 said:

Those Ultradynes are sweet! I was always a fan of the shaft over hosel irons from the seventies. Such a clean look.

How lucky was it to find the exact Walter Hagen irons needed to make the set (3-PW)in similar condition, for sale at the same time, for similar $, on ebay? I did a double take to see if it was the same city. Now only missing the 1,2 and SI-assuming they made a one. They are some real lookers all curvy and austere at the same time.  The Palmers have a whole 'nother look, more utilitarian but in the simplest, elegant form possible.  I hope to collect some birdies with 'em all!

Yes I agree with all who say my "collection" is small, but do realize I only had one set from the mid-80's until six months ago when I got interested in playing golf again after so many years off. I think my rate of acquisition has been pretty high, and that it simply must be dealt with. 

I do certainly want two or three more and...well I just got home and the mail carrier delivered five dozen balls (hey they were on sale) and a ball marking gadget, later FedEx dropped my new small-capacity carry bag.  I need to go check that bag out and stop reading vintage clubs threads and articles. 

I do get a kick out of how intimidated by little blades so many younger golfers appear to be.  I laugh and swing them and try not to yelp if I rattle one off the edge. It's going to be fun comparing these when I get the grips sorted and proper.  oh yeah-the bag. [heads back outside]

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Bigarch said:

Yeah @Wade Patton you're just barely scratching the surface my friend.  I'm up to 14 sets now currently residing in the man cave.  We don't discuss the other sets still out in the garage that haven't been cleaned up and fixed up yet.  

I see that @Swingingk's club ranking system is far more widespread than I realised😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Do you have a problem if you take possession of a new set of irons before you can respond? Does it matter if your wife is at work when it happens? These one's are nice. Square toe, high COG and relatively low-offset, Japanese forged muscle back from a defunct brand, that is still world famous for a different reason. I just have to upload the pics. (And done).

091129D5-0F8B-4530-A7EE-3DD5BE442341.jpeg

CA0118C3-E26A-4A12-BD66-574B1DFDE230.jpeg

58ACBCB1-EB20-4606-B9D6-1BC13D1D4F4B.jpeg

CED02ECE-C1C4-4E74-8CD7-157E53A45B96.jpeg

Edited by Christen_The_Sloop
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Christen_The_Sloop said:

Do you have a problem if you take possession of a new set of irons before you can respond? Does it matter if your wife is at work when it happens? These one's are nice. Square toe, high COG and relatively low-offset, Japanese forged muscle back from a defunct brand, that is still world famous for a different reason. I just have to upload the pics. (And done).

091129D5-0F8B-4530-A7EE-3DD5BE442341.jpeg

CA0118C3-E26A-4A12-BD66-574B1DFDE230.jpeg

58ACBCB1-EB20-4606-B9D6-1BC13D1D4F4B.jpeg

CED02ECE-C1C4-4E74-8CD7-157E53A45B96.jpeg

VERY nice looking irons. That short iron (second from bottom) is right in my sweet spot.

But I cannot fathom which brand you're talking about, though I have a feeling it should be bloody obvious.

• Like 2

Well I'm trying NOT to buy some Crenshaw Grind's right now but did kick back a counter-offer because they're pretty clean.  But there's no PW...and I'm way under the BIN price. Those Aussie Maxfli's are tempting too. But I gotta PACE MYSELF!  My funds do have a limit and my roof is only so big! 😉

WELL CRAP!

I just bought the Crenshaw Grinds. I need filter to keep me off Ebay. To the practice range!  Also looking for a matching wedge in good shape.

benCrenshawGrindWH.jpg

Edited by Wade Patton
things changed
  • Like 2

Brother Wade, repeating whats already been said, but you're just scratching the surface at this point.  🙂

When I got the Classic blade itch, I went through about three dozen sets in about three years.  And there are gents here who make me look like an idle dabbler.

You're in good company here, but be careful; it's something of a Black Hole.  Though, it seems you've noticed.   🙂

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 hours ago, elwhippy said:

You are among friends. We share your passion. You don't need to worry unless your house needs extended, your family have moved out or your start wearing 1970s Roger Maltby slacks. 

My house is undersized for my appetite for clubs at this rate (and it's already stuffed with other interests). Two small dogs make up the family. And I already wear out-of-style facial hair (mutton-chops with an unruly 'stache) and just started wearing a Scottish-made flat cap! The wool is for winter I have a Snead-ish straw had for summer when it's not raining.

I have strongly considered knickers but haven't yet purchase a pair. I do have a Maltby swingweight scale.

I'm beginning to get some control, I think. I just turned down a very reasonable offer by a seller with some Aussie Maxfli's. I'm holding out for an earlier set in better condition and minding my budget! 🤣

I should clean out my "watch lists" but of course that's a dangerous zone to occupy when afflicted with this condition.  Enough about me what are y'all buying next?

14 hours ago, Wade Patton said:

I have to set a cap, a limit, some restrictions. Might be time for me to find another lady to distract me and help dispose of my disposable income! 🤣

I think 40 is a nice number for an initial cap, 40 sets of irons, 40 woods and 40 putters.

If a golfer can't find room for that then there's something wrong.

Then, when you get accustomed to those clubs under your roof, you can look at raising your cap a little, maybe in steps of 10 or 20.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

Don't be a quitter, Wade.

I go by budget and storage space, not numbers. I like to buy in lots, keep what I want and sell the rest. That allows me to build up a budget, and as long as I have more left in the budget, I'm OK. Right now, my budget is really high, so I have room for more purchases.

Unfortunately, space is harder. I have 30ish sets of irons, I really don't know how many, and another 100 or so loose irons, and that's all I can fit in the garage. So now I'm at a one-in-one-out situation. For woods, I just did an inventory and I'm at about 450, but had to build some more shelving and take over a corner of the basement. So I probably can handle another 50 before I'm in a hard one-in-one-out situation.

So, buy what makes you happy, sell enough to fill up the budget and free up some space, and then buy more. Rinse and repeat.

• Like 3

Crikey, there's some hard-dealin' truths coming out in this thread!

How many sets is enough? I don't see the issue as one of space, though my wife disagrees. For me, there are two factors: how many clubs can I maintain, and how many sets of irons can I play in a year.

I live in a high-humidity climate, so steel shafts need looking after. I don't want to be wiping down and checking hundreds of shafts every couple of months, so that's something I think about when I buy new clubs. It's one reason why I veer towards carbon-shafted persimmons, because I don't need to worry about them rusting.

Also, if I have a set of irons and I don't take them to the course within 2 years, then I look to sell them. I'm starting to realise that I like playing certain irons a lot more than others. As I may only get out for a round once a month*, there's no point hanging on to clubs that I don't really want to play.

*pretty much a worst case scenario, but this October, which is about the best season for golf here, I only got out once.

Criminal.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

C'mon guys, we are all friends here, we can be honest with each other within the CCA - we don't have limits; space, numbers or budget! We've all got it bad and will always justify the next purchase for some obscure reason or another! The black hole NRJyzr referred to? I'm in free fall!

I started with a 10 set limit - the 10 sets I most desired but could only dream of as a youngster. Then i thought, i have got all these for less than the price of a decent new set, so i may aswell use the money left over to get some of those other interesting sets I stumbled over looking for my dream 10. Then I thought, I have still spent less than a new set of PXG, so my budget stretched and so on.....and here I am having just bought a set of Browning 440 low profile irons .....how do you justify that and how bad must the affliction be to do that?!

Let's stop the denial and admit that if we are posting here, we are lost causes!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Heh, I went a half hour north from my house to pick up a set found on FB.  Ended up coming home with four sets of irons, two sets of lam woods and several putters.  Oh, a beautiful brand new vintage bag too.  All for less than a new Vokey wedge.

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

55 minutes ago, Foozle said:

C'mon guys, we are all friends here, we can be honest with each other within the CCA - we don't have limits; space, numbers or budget! We've all got it bad and will always justify the next purchase for some obscure reason or another! The black hole NRJyzr referred to? I'm in free fall!

I started with a 10 set limit - the 10 sets I most desired but could only dream of as a youngster. Then i thought, i have got all these for less than the price of a decent new set, so i may aswell use the money left over to get some of those other interesting sets I stumbled over looking for my dream 10. Then I thought, I have still spent less than a new set of PXG, so my budget stretched and so on.....and here I am having just bought a set of Browning 440 low profile irons .....how do you justify that and how bad must the affliction be to do that?!

Let's stop the denial and admit that if we are posting here, we are lost causes!

440's!  Yep, nope I'm not bidding against you there!

Remember them well as one of the guys I learned golf from as a teen played them. They are quite distinctive (freakish is what I mean), but I don't know if I ever want to play 'em.

I'm regripping my PC's now (42 NOS grips came in).  Also treating the interior of the shafts with Fluid Film.  Because rain happens and I get wet, and this is the South. I've lost some shafts to rust over the years, going to nip that in the bud each chance I get.

Welcome to the club!  Do you have a spreadsheet yet?  That would mark the sign of pure madness!

According to mine here are my latest stats.

28 sets of irons dating from 1954-1964.  All Spalding and you can see a couple multiple sets.

32 persimmon woods mostly Spalding but I hung on to two sets of Mac Tommy Armours

19 wedges all Spalding

14 putters made up of MacGregor, Acushnet, Spalding and Palmer

I got 108 rounds in of vintage only golf this year which I'm down from 2021 where I got in 137 rounds.

I played with 31 different set of irons this year I still own 18 of them sold 13 of them.

My goal is to calm down the selling and trading of irons and settle down with the Spaldings for 2023.

We live in a small 3 bedroom 1949 house.  I do keep some things in the garage which I know isn't ideal but I don't have much option.   Try to keep persimmons and leather gripped clubs in house.

Vintage golf is so unpopular with the rest of the world the downside for us into it is the cheap prices can rack up some large numbers quickly.  I wish I had more space I probably woulda kept more of the Macs and Wilsons.  I guess one limitation I've put on myself if I haven't played it in couple of months I sell it.  

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Like 3

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Question for Hogan guys: What should I find next?  I have 1978 Apex's and 1984 PC's. Cameo Apex II ? 

I've found some other non-Hogans I must have, but am not buying anything really soon (unless the deal is too sweet of course). I'm just collecting ideas at this point and sometimes it's not easy to differentiate the similar Hogan's. Thanks

Also I figure to limit myself to one set per production year, all makes (and only VG condition or rare).  That should work huh? 🤣

spreadsheet huh...

Edited by Wade Patton
afterthoughts seemed relevant

2 hours ago, Wade Patton said:

Question for Hogan guys: What should I find next?  I have 1978 Apex's and 1984 PC's. Cameo Apex II ? 

I've found some other non-Hogans I must have, but am not buying anything really soon (unless the deal is too sweet of course). I'm just collecting ideas at this point and sometimes it's not easy to differentiate the similar Hogan's. Thanks

Also I figure to limit myself to one set per production year, all makes (and only VG condition or rare).  That should work huh? 🤣

spreadsheet huh...

You can't go wrong with Apex II Cameo's - lovely irons.

The other set from that era I would encourage you to consider are '88 Redlines. In my opinion amongst the prettiest of Hogan blades and very playable too.20210327_191628.jpg.f7fa2730e3a9e7296fae698864d95470.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Wade Patton said:

spreadsheet huh...

Guess I'm a Hogan guy (and a ram guy)(and a maxfli guy) lol

I submit it depends on if you are buying to collect or play. The Apexes and newer are more expensive, sometimes almost too nice to play.

I buy to play. So I focus on the clubs between IPTs (1963) and bounce soles (1971) with special emphasis on apex shafts and newer.  Especially apex4s, they really fit me for some reason lately. A little harder to find whole sets, but lots cheaper.

Played mostly 1971 bounce soles last summer. Having said that, I recently got some redlines, some white cameos, and some IPTs to try. And I got some pc5's with N shafts that I'm itching to try. And it's winter here. Ughhh.

It's a really deep rabbit hole you are going down. Enjoy the trip!

Oh and a thought. When I started out I bought some partial sets cheaply, missing a 7 iron or something, thinking I could find one later. Not so much. I recommend against that program. Really hard to find matching shaft, grip, etc. 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2022 at 2:28 PM, Wade Patton said:

I have to set a cap, a limit, some restrictions. Might be time for me to find another lady to distract me and help dispose of my disposable income! 🤣

Don't do it! Stick to what you know. Women are confusing. Not always a good inve$tment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/25/2022 at 10:48 AM, Wade Patton said:

Having a great set of Wilson's just wasn't enough.  And I wanted some "beater clubs" for practice because the Wilson's are in great condition. So first I grabbed up a set (I'd lusted after back in the 80's) of Hogan PC's.  Then I picked up another set of Hogan Apex blades in Reg flex. And I've got dozens of sets "saved" in watchlists, but was waiting for the best deals on clubs I just couldn't refuse. 

It happened. Yesterday I scored two sets.  First I grabbed a super clean set of Hagen's Syncrodyne 2 (missing the 6,8,pw), then found the matching and similarly clean 6,8,pw! (listed in different city same state).  So that's a small miracle, but those are coming home to me now.

AND then (actually during that whole time I had an offer out there) the offer was accepted for some SUPER clean butter knife looking irons, the Palmer Standard 85's.  So those are headed my way too.

I kinda still want some MacGregors and a set of Powerbilts, but maybe I need to get weird and go hickory (I used to have a couple of hickory putters).  DOES IT EVER STOP?!!  (don't answer that).  🤣

But I'm only up to five sets so far. I know I'm a small fry in the big pond of collectors.

Also have 42 grips coming (screaming deals, I hope I like them. NOS Danny Edwards Wraps).

UltraDYNE2WalterHagen68pw.jpg

butterknifePALMER3i.jpg

Wade, your only problem is that you need more vintage iron sets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrFlipper said:

Guess I'm a Hogan guy (and a ram guy)(and a maxfli guy) lol

I submit it depends on if you are buying to collect or play. The Apexes and newer are more expensive, sometimes almost too nice to play.

I buy to play. So I focus on the clubs between IPTs (1963) and bounce soles (1971) with special emphasis on apex shafts and newer.  Especially apex4s, they really fit me for some reason lately. A little harder to find whole sets, but lots cheaper.

Played mostly 1971 bounce soles last summer. Having said that, I recently got some redlines, some white cameos, and some IPTs to try. And I got some pc5's with N shafts that I'm itching to try. And it's winter here. Ughhh.

It's a really deep rabbit hole you are going down. Enjoy the trip!

Oh and a thought. When I started out I bought some partial sets cheaply, missing a 7 iron or something, thinking I could find one later. Not so much. I recommend against that program. Really hard to find matching shaft, grip, etc. 

Thanks.  I've two sets screaming at me now (offer pendingon one). I'm a player, no interest in trophy clubs but to appreciate those of others. YES the odd club out sets might be ok, but it's likely easier to find a complete set of the more common ones than to fill in holes.  THAT being said, if you can fill the holes before the purchase it can work. I just bought a split set of Walter Hagens. I found all but the 6,8, and pw from one seller and before making any offers, I found the very same clubs, flex and all in 6, 8, and pw only.  So I made two offers and got a proper set.  Otherwise finding the odd one can cost way too much for any bargains. 

• Like 1

Guess who just bought a set of Trevino Personals?  Straight outta Scotland!😆

Seriously got to quit this and YOU folks are no help at all.  Bunch of ENABLERS.  Especially this guy:

I wasn't aware of these clubs, but I had a keen interest in a set of Aussies. According to his video here, they are very much similar and it's interesting to learn of the old clubmakers of the day and Lee's involvement.

I'll be swinging hickories soon If I don't quit this mess.  I did actually decline a fair offer on some cameos, but I figure they're easier to come by than Greenleaf Trevinos. Sure the shipping is a bit, but these clubs look pretty sweet.

Aaaand the Palmer's and Hagen's should be here before the week is out. The rest of the Ultradyne II's have been shipped.  The slope is slippery!

LTGPScottish Aussie583-l1600.jpg

LTGPScottish Aussies33-l1600.jpg

That's "Handmade in Scotland" around the hosel.

Edited by Wade Patton
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wade Patton said:

Seriously got to quit this and YOU folks are no help at all.  Bunch of ENABLERS.  Especially this guy:

I wasn't aware of these clubs, but I had a keen interest in a set of Aussies. According to his video here, they are very much similar and it's interesting to learn of the old clubmakers of the day and Lee's involvement.

I'll be swinging hickories soon If I don't quit this mess.  I did actually decline a fair offer on some cameos, but I figure they're easier to come by than Greenleaf Trevinos. Sure the shipping is a bit, but these clubs look pretty sweet.

Aaaand the Palmer's and Hagen's should be here before the week is out. The rest of the Ultradyne II's have been shipped.  The slope is slippery!

You'd better slow down a notch or you'll be sleeping in the spare room!  Lol

Seriously though you have a fine array of vintage goodness already.  Those Trevino's look absolutely delicious.  Love those ferrules.  The contrasting look of the brass shaft shaft pins next to the chrome is beautiful.  The shape of these irons appeals to my eye as well.  Very nice.  I've lost track of the number of iron sets I'm supposedly keeping a lookout for but it's one more now.  Haha

As for advice on the collecting/hoarding thing I'll echo some of the others in that I'd stay away from partial sets.  They build up fast and take up valuable room for better acquisitions.  Finding the singles to fill out a set properly usually costs more than a good complete set anyway and often takes a very long time to do.  That's my take on it anyway. 

Good luck and have fun!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Wade Patton said:

The offender who posts these videos is our esteemed brother Jiggered. He is a very bad influence and responsible for fuelling  many of our afflictions.

Makes some great and informative videos though. All members of CCA should seek out his channel for their weekly "fix". Good one this week on early steel shafts.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1