Televised Professional Golf......no longer relevant?

MelloYello

I’ve found over the last few years I watch less than ever. I might watch a Sunday round of a major and that’s about it. The broadcasts are stale and border line unwatchable with the amount of commercials and fluff pieces. I just want to see golf shots. I’d rather play than watch the product they put out on tv. When the tv contracts came up I was hoping for some real innovation when it comes to the broadcast but it’s the same old boring product. Watching televised golf is just not worth the time. Spending 3-4 hours watching endless commercials with a few golf shots mixed in is not the best use of my time. 

• Like 3

Cobra LTDX 9* Project X Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 6.0

Ping G400 17.5* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0 

Taylormade SIM Max Hybrid 19* Fujikura Ventus Blue 7S 

Mizuno MP69 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0

Cleveland Zipcore 50* 54* 58* DG Tour Issue X100

Toulon San Diego

I’m not a die hard that needs to watch every single round of every tournament, but I still enjoy watching when I have the chance. There’s a ton of incredible talent on tour and I still am amazed at how easy they make it look at playing distances and courses that would eat me up.

Golf on TV has become so much better since Top Tracer became a staple for most shots. It’s great to see how the pros work the ball for different shots when needed. Or the rare hosel rocket that shows they’re still human every now and then.

• Like 3

I think the evolution of technology that has killed a lot of mom and pop stores will also kill a lot of viewership for not only golf but many television shows and content. Many now want to watch at their leisure and not have to tune into something for a longer period of time. When I say long period of time I mean sitting and watching a tournament on tv for 6 hours. God knows how excruciating it is to watch the majors and listen to Chamblee for 4 hours leading into a tournament and another two hours after every round. The ease of pulling things up on our phones will kill the thought of watching television eventually. Now each individual can watch whatever they want wherever they want will be the main thing going forward. Golf will survive and your projection of Liv might be true. But as oil money keeps coming out of the ground, the Liv tour can keep going. Saudi’s plan for being a destination is starting to come to life. They plan on building a darn city in the middle of the desert that is all indoors. Golf will be fine. Just like before, those who really love the game will tune in to watch tournaments, the Pga will make enough sponsorship money not to care about viewership and they to will push PGA app to watch tournaments and over golf tournaments. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

22 minutes ago, llewol007 said:

I think the evolution of technology that has killed a lot of mom and pop stores will also kill a lot of viewership for not only golf but many television shows and content. Many now want to watch at their leisure and not have to tune into something for a longer period of time. When I say long period of time I mean sitting and watching a tournament on tv for 6 hours. God knows how excruciating it is to watch the majors and listen to Chamblee for 4 hours leading into a tournament and another two hours after every round. The ease of pulling things up on our phones will kill the thought of watching television eventually. Now each individual can watch whatever they want wherever they want will be the main thing going forward. Golf will survive and your projection of Liv might be true. But as oil money keeps coming out of the ground, the Liv tour can keep going. Saudi’s plan for being a destination is starting to come to life. They plan on building a darn city in the middle of the desert that is all indoors. Golf will be fine. Just like before, those who really love the game will tune in to watch tournaments, the Pga will make enough sponsorship money not to care about viewership and they to will push PGA app to watch tournaments and over golf tournaments. 

Say whaaattt?

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

I enjoy watching purely because it doesn't take too much time out of my day. Here in my part of Australia most PGA events wrap up around 9am. Waking up and catching the last 9 holes of any given round whilst having a coffee is a calm start to the day. The DP tour can have some coverage rolling during our evenings/nights too which makes for some chilled background entertainment.

• Like 2

Callaway Rogue ST 🔹🔹🔹LS 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR blue 6X

Titleist TSr3 16.5* - Tensei Blue 65X

Titleist 2023 t200 4 Project X 6.0

Titleist 2021 t100s 5-GW - Project X 6.0

Vokey SM9 - 52*, 56* m grind

Cleveland Zipcore raw - 60* low

Odyssey White Hot OG 1/OG 11/Toulon Atlanta

Srixon Z Star🔹

I'll watch golf if it's on and I'm not busy with something else. I do find myself watching more of the lesser tours. Golf is tough to watch on TV, I like to watch to see great shots, interesting courses and hole designs, but a lot of times my ADHD flares up and then you throw in the ridiculous amount of ads and it can be a bit of a slog sometimes. Oddly enough, I don't mind the distance issue.

I also generally don't watch to see a certain person, and I think that may be a big part of why golf isn't appointment viewing. I like parity and underdogs so back when tiger was winning everything and someone else had a chance, I would watch. I also didn't really play back then, and I'd much rather play than watch now. Now with all of that word salad, when I have a moment to myself and I want to watch TV, my first stop is the usually the golf channel.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

The PGA is not going anywhere. They may adjust the schedule some to have an off-season, but they still have good ratings and sponsors. Also, I don't think LIV will collapse. LIV may not have seen strong interest in the US, but I'm sure abroad it has a lot more interest because there are a lot of strong golf markets in other countries.  A good example is the LPGA. The LPGA was in poor financial shape until Mike Whan made the LPGA a world tour. Once the LPGA was a world tour, they found a lot of new sponsors abroad and high ratings for tournaments abroad. Golf is still a worldwide sport and not just in the US.

• Like 2

I’m fairly new to golf after playing just over two years. I’ve watched tournaments in the past and even played at times when I was younger with buds just hanging out. I’m much more into the game now with taking lessons and building an indoor simulator.

When I first started, I watched a good bit of the PGA Tour, but over time it got boring. The guys are great players of course, but they all seem to be very similar. I guess Tiger is the blueprint for that.

I’ve watched a round or two of LIV, but it’s not really much different to me.

I’ve actually watched more LPGA  tournaments I think because the distances and shot selection are more familiar. My current yardages are just a bit over the average LPGA Tour player so it’s more relatable. I will also add that I enjoy watching the ladies more than the men visually. 

With all of that said, I spend the VAST majority of my time watching YouTube golf. I spend most of my time watching Good Good and their individual channels. About half of the members are scratch with the remaining guys playing at a level that is well above average. I find the interaction and conversations more interesting than the PGA play-by-play drivel between holes. I also enjoy other channels as well, but I watch Good Good every day for about an hour before turning in.

Another factor for me in watching less televised events is that it’s super easy for me to actually play golf. I’m only about three minutes from the first tee box and can usually get fitted in quickly. Plus I can play a simulated round at home. Given the choice of watching someone play golf or actually play golf myself, I’m playing!

• Like 2

I believe there are two main reasons for this:

1- the coverage is horrible, and I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

2- for the last 25 years, the media has conditioned an entire generation to believe that if Eldrick isn’t playing, the tournament doesn’t matter, and the ratings are paying the price for that now. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I still watch a reasonable amount of the PGA Tour, some of the DP and on occasion the LPGA or LET. 

Some of it has been decent this year to be fair, with some close finishes. 

I am still not a fan of the wrap around season or the PGA being moved to earlier in the year though. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56D & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
Titleist - Pro V1

2 hours ago, Body_Visions said:

I believe there are two main reasons for this:

1- the coverage is horrible, and I don’t think anyone would disagree with that.

2- for the last 25 years, the media has conditioned an entire generation to believe that if Eldrick isn’t playing, the tournament doesn’t matter, and the ratings are paying the price for that now. 

How do you delineate items 1 and 2?   

I can’t say I’ve ever watched a TON of golf. The Masters and the British are must see.  The US Open and PGA, maybe — depends on the circumstances, the venue, and what else I have going on. 

There is something less satisfying about the modern game than watching Faldo, Seve, Woosnam, Couples, but there is so much more coverage now….saturation may be part of the issue. 

The reality is, other than the above events, I would much rather play golf than watch golf, so that is what I do. Furthermore, I’m a huge college football fan, but it was 50 and sunny here on Saturday, so I jumped at the chance to play golf and didn’t watch one minute of the live rivalry games. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

LAB DF 2.1 putter, nickel, 38" / 67*

I find myself watching less and less golf and I think it's because the coverage is absolutely atrocious, to the point it really irritates me

I don't need all the studio fluff around the golf, just show me the shots, and not the players walking down the fairway when there are other shots that they could show in the meantime

It actually becomes most apparent during the Ryder and President's cups. Let's say it's early into the first round and there's the first 2 foursomes matches out on the course, so there's only 4 balls in play on the whole course so it shouldn't be hard to show every shot, and yet we may only see half of the actual shots played. Now extrapolate that over 4 days ands a field of 150 and it's infuriating!

Instead they fill the time with an unneeded analysis of something whilst the screen is showing one of the studio hosts talking to the camera. If they really needed to get their soundbites in they could just play the audio over the actual golf appearing on screen, but apparently that's too difficult

I think a good way to go would be more customising in the coverage, say pick a limited number of players that you want to follow round and it just shows their shots, or a certain number of holes etc

The funniest thing about it is that having worked from home the last 2 years my TV time is up overall. 

So you'd think this would actually be helping but alas, I can't get into men's golf. 

Good to see that basically everyone here on WRX is an LPGA fan. That Tour is great from top to bottom. Hard to credit Whan alone when the players are so good but man, they got it right over the last decade. 

• Like 2

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2+ (14.5o 3w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

TSR2 (21o 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-Gw) (Nippon Modus3)

SM9 56-F / 60-S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Nicely done @MelloYello

Pro golf is nothing more than entertainment. Like a movie,

With Tiger it was like Die Hard!

Die Hard GIF by Row House Cinema

Fans of all ages glued to the screen!

Then we had a nice jump in young talent, as you said, Rory, Spieth, and a bunch of strong talent. 

By 2019, golf was is good shape, we added BK, BD, Rahmbo. 

But now there’s a lull. There’s lots of great talent but the script and the action has been a little weak. Seems like we are back to guys falling apart on Sunday. 

From what I can tell….

Theres no great “leading men”. No Clint Eastwood or The Rock out there blowing people away and throwing bad guys out of airplanes 🤣

The average golf tv viewer is like 65. But to bring back fans under 40-50, we just need guys to step up and close. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

As someone that was born in the early-80s and would watch golf most Sundays with my grandfather, the answer is Tiger Woods.

Of course, I am too young to have experienced Nicklaus and Palmer in their prime, and you can point to them as the primary reason golf was even a relevant televised sport to begin with, but live TV really was starting to hit its stride in the 90s.  A personality and talent like Tiger Woods suddenly made golf a "cool" sport, literally almost overnight it seemed.  People didn't really watch "golf" they watched "Tiger Woods".  Even if Tiger Woods barely made the cut, he would somehow get his name on the first page of the leaderboard by the end of the tournament (even if he had no realistic chance at winning).  He was so incredibly dominant for such a long time that golf was able to ride that wave for quite a while in terms of popularity.  Now that he is rarely playing and not particularly relevant to the final leaderboard on Sunday, it's unsurprising that golf's popularity has started to decline.

I see a lot of parallels between the pre-Tiger era and (what I now consider to be) the post-Tiger era.  In the pre-Tiger era, there were a lot of really great golfers but none were truly dominant.  You can certainly say the same of (what I am calling) the post-Tiger era -- just look at how many world #1's there have been in the past few years.  Not to mention about all the talk about the "slumps" of the world's best players.

Sure the overall talent of the game may be "deeper" than it ever has been, but sports in general tend to ride the success of a handful of "top" players/teams.  If there is consistency of the top players and they are doing truly extraordinary things, people will watch.  There just isn't enough consistency in the "top" players these days for golf to retain the popularity of the Tiger era.  That's not a knock to any of today's players, it's just the unfortunate truth when you play in a sport that no longer has a generational talent that you can make a legitimate GOAT argument for.

In terms of technology, I still look back at Tiger Woods and what he was able to do with the technology he had at his disposal.  However, I think there is still a gap between what is possible with technology and what people are doing with that technology.  All it takes is a someone with supreme talent and an obsessive mind to figure out the same stuff that Tiger Woods did -- how to eek out every ounce of performance possible with the technology available to them and have an extremely competitive nature to never let anyone become a better golfer than them.

Edited by SirFuego
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Good to see that basically everyone here on WRX is an LPGA fan. That Tour is great from top to bottom. Hard to credit Whan alone when the players are so good but man, they got it right over the last decade. 

One nice thing about the LPGA/women's game in general is that with the distance they hit, the classic courses are still so relevant and gives a chance to see pro golf on courses that the men with modern equipment have made redundant over the last 20 or so years.

I'm thinking of courses like Donald Ross designs (ala the 2021 Solheim at Inverness in Ohio) that still require you to play golf as a craft.

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I don't know that this is really based in numbers. There was a boom in golfers post Tiger but it's stabilized at pre-Tiger levels. So there's nothing drastic when it comes to people still playing golf

Ratings for most pro sports have been going down over the past decade. The availability of streaming, instant programs etc...have hurt most live sports (i believe NFL might be the exception here). Golf is also going through a period of transition where they don't have a ton of super marketable stars, and are suffering from parity. Having smaller fields and breaking golf into 2 tours may actually help this. Forget about what everyone hates about LIV for a second and just consider that Dustin Johnson won a lot there this year. The PGA needs more of that, 2-3 guys winning a lot. They may get that now. Other sports have seen resurgences when more marketable stars come along. 

I don't really think there's much to worry about. Isn't the NBC deal with the PGA worth like close to 1B? If everyone was sour on golf they wouldn't have that deal

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I watch an unreasonable amount of golf on tv. Although sometimes it's hate watching.

1. The production is objectively terrible. Too many commercials, no flow.

2. I could b**** about the announcers for hours. They seem to operate under the assumption that we are first time viewers. The gushing over distance is stupid, as most of us see it as a bug and not a feature.

3. The attempt to hold every tournament out as equally important is stupid. Especially when there are 50 a year.

4. Hot take: parity sucks. Be it between players or events. The natural inclination when there is parity is not to say, "Hey, everyone is great!" it is instead to say "Everyone sucks and no one can separate".

Edited by carrier street
  • Like 1

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

9 minutes ago, carrier street said:

I watch an unreasonable amount of golf on tv. Although sometimes it's hate watching.

1. The production is objectively terrible. Too many commercials, no flow.

2. I could b**** about the announcers for hours. They seem to operate under the assumption that we are first time viewers. The gushing over distance is stupid, as most of us see it as a bug and not a feature.

3. The attempt to hold every tournament out as equally important is stupid. Especially when there are 50 a year.

4. Hot take: parody sucks. Be it between players or events. The natural inclination when there is parody is not to say, "Hey, everyone is great!" it is instead to say "Everyone sucks and no one can separate".

I 100% agree that parity is usually bad for sports (again, the NFL seems to be the only exception to this)

But Parody? Cmon who doesn't enjoy a good Parody. The Naked Gun and Airplane still hold up even today!

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Man, the PGAT prob hopes no major TV network guys are reading this. Doom and gloom reports may cut upcoming contracts in half. 

To you LPGA guys, you watching for the good golf or just b/c Nelly is hot? 🤓

There will be another Tiger. Many of us older crowd referenced in earlier posts (over 60) also once saw Hogan, Palmer and Nicklaus as irreplaceable.  But no, I don’t think it’s Charlie. 

• Haha 1

I still watch and will into perpetuity. Only thing about this time of year for Tour events, there are several other viewing opportunities i.e NFL, college football, college basketball, NHL.

For the purposes of "bomb & gouge" - it's human evolution. We'll save the distance debate for the other thread, but in every sport human evolution has taken precedence. 60's & 70's NHL tendy's weren't even wearing a face mask. Queue harder slap shots and curve on the blade of sticks, players began elevating wrist shots, and introduce the goaltender face mack.

NFL - Think about the classic photo of Len Dawson ripping a dart and drinking a Fresca at halftime of Super Bowl 4. Nobody thought in 1970 that was a bad idea. Fast forward 50 years - proper nutrition has entered the picture, and players understand halftime cigs won't fly.

Those are just two examples. In summary, access to information, human evolution, and technology all contribute to change. It's the only constant. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I 100% agree that parity is usually bad for sports (again, the NFL seems to be the only exception to this)

But Parody? Cmon who doesn't enjoy a good Parody. The Naked Gun and Airplane still hold up even today!

**Slinks away in shame after editing original post**

• Haha 1

TSi3
M5 3 Wood
3 Titleist U500
4-PW MP18 MB
Vokey 52F, 56S, and 60T
Scotty Special Select Newport 2

As far as I am concerned, the big mistake in golf was allowing hollow clubs.

Woods was a great golfer, but let’s not forget the role of Nike (a company that makes a fortune selling overpriced shoes to underprivileged kids, which makes a sort of sense since the shoes are made by poor people as well) in promoting him, paying him tens of millions before he hit a ball in pro competition.  He was a creature of hype as much as talent (not to mention an upbringing that makes young cringe).

Good riddance to Woods and I just wish Nike would go away too.

9 hours ago, aenemated said:

Haha I too have a ~68 scoring average from 6500 yards like some of the ladies do - totally resembles the game I play /s 😂

I dunno, there's still a good grip of dudes on tour I enjoy watching; Rory, JT, YJS, my dawg Max Homa, Tony Finau, I've warmed up on Scotty Scheffler, Hideki, etc ... plenty of the lesser names I enjoy watching. Tom Kim, Theegala ... those have been rad stories to watch unfold this year. 

I honestly DGAF about literally any other professional sport and it's 100% because they're all coddled millionaires going through the motions and don't really have to earn anything anymore after that contract got signed. (Ya know like the thing that shall not be named) When the whole money aspect becomes bigger than the game - I'm out. I don't much care about my own money so I sure don't care about anyone else's. Like the whole recent headline "Phil makes $138M this year!" and I'm like "Why do I care? He gonna cut me a check or something?" 

But I still enjoy the PGA Tour. Really enjoy the LPGA. (Despite what Ms. aenemated thinks, it *IS* for the golf) Even the Champions tour, it was a blast watching my man Freddie shoot that flawless 60, Langer being a machine, Paddy being Paddy. 

Granted, I work from home and there's a TV directly above my desk here and it stays on whatever golf is being televised. So I'm potentially a different case than many.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Other than the part highlighted I could have written this post.....LOL!

\\Golf is just fine, the ratings and the enormous TV/Media contracts bare that out.

12 year $2B Media deal with Discovery+ or whoever merged.

9 year $1.6B TV deal with CBS,NBC etc...

45 Sponsors/partners.....

Approx. 47 tournaments in 2022

Let's be real....someone is watching. I play golf and I watch plenty of golf. I'm basically a PGAT guy but recently the LPGAT is showing a great product. Most of those tiny players has found some added distance and their swings are smooth as silk.

In ten years the PGAT will still be the tour to watch because they know how to cultivate talent and they know how to present a television entertainment event for the masses and not for the chosen few.....

Go Max Homa!......LOL!

• Like 1