Televised Professional Golf......no longer relevant?

MelloYello

10 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Ratings for most pro sports have been going down over the past decade.

I think MtlJeff is right on the money (and not just because we share a first name).  There are lots of other on-demand TV options once you realize that the tsunami of commercials break up the flow of every sporting event and slow everything down to a slog through the mud.  Been to an NFL game in-person in the last 20 years?  3.5 hours of drinking overpriced beer in an overpriced plastic seat, punctuated by a few 6-second bursts of excitement.

Best viewing in all of sports?  NHL playoff overtime.  Nonstop excitement, next goal wins, and zero commercials until either the game is over or you reach the end of an overtime period.

I got into golf in my early 20's, just out of college, with a couple of roommates who played.  At that age, a few hours of golf on TV was the perfect way to recover from a few nights of abusing our bodies and our livers.  But these days, it's even hard to find the time to invest in watching the majors.  Maybe when I retire and I'm taking advantage of one of those "old guy" weekday-only golf course memberships, I'll find the time again to watch golf on TV. 

But until then, any "spare" time I'd rather spend playing instead of watching.

• Like 1

This just in:

The PGAT must sell TV time to sponsors to make money. I know that's a new concept to some, in order to be on National TV, this is a must. This gives them a platform to present their product.

Announcers and analyst are there to enhance the product and combat all the dead time, which is a no no in broadcasting.

Hopefully this breaking news will stop some the B***and whining. (I kid, I kid)

There are so many ways to watch sports nowadays that one would expect TV ratings to fall slightly.....streaming, cord cutting, etc...

Edited by Titleist99
  • Like 2

Many years before I ever touched a golf club, I had a girlfriend whose father was a golfer. If I'd visit their house on a Sunday, he'd be in the living room "watching golf" which meant dozing in the recliner with the TV volume turned halfway down. Never imagined that could possibly be me three four decades later...

• Like 2

8 hours ago, tacklingdummy said:

The PGA is not going anywhere. They may adjust the schedule some to have an off-season, but they still have good ratings and sponsors. Also, I don't think LIV will collapse. LIV may not have seen strong interest in the US, but I'm sure abroad it has a lot more interest because there are a lot of strong golf markets in other countries.  A good example is the LPGA. The LPGA was in poor financial shape until Mike Whan made the LPGA a world tour. Once the LPGA was a world tour, they found a lot of new sponsors abroad and high ratings for tournaments abroad. Golf is still a worldwide sport and not just in the US.

Wow, you're finally making sense......LOL! (I kid)

Mike Whan would be a great Commissioner for any tour.

the LPGAT is on the rise everywhere.......

I watch most days of the majors, and maybe a handful of other events.  I haven't watch an "average PGAT" event in a while.  I found myself streaming LIV on the garage TV when I would be out there assembling clubs, or working on the lathe, mostly because I like many of those players better, and no commercials is fantastic. 

I watch nearly ALL of the LPGA events.  I just like the women's game more, enjoy their personalities, and enjoy the comradery they seem to have. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Callaway Mavrik Max 3+ (Bassara W45)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Mizuno T-zoid Fli-Hi 21* (Adams Ultralight 50g Ladies)

Bridgestone J33 Forged 4-PW  (Reax 55 A-Flex)

Cleveland CBX Full Face 64*

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

1 hour ago, Robby_Hughey said:

For the purposes of "bomb & gouge" - it's human evolution. We'll save the distance debate for the other thread, but in every sport human evolution has taken precedence.

... True and exactly why the rules or the playing field needs to be changed. DE/DT's were relatively slow big guys to stop the run in the NFL. They occasionally got to QB's and dragged them to the ground. When they became bigger, faster, stronger and reached full speed in 3 steps, the hosts on the QB were catastrophic and if it continued uncontrolled, none would make not through a season so they changed the rules to accommodate the changes. 

... Simply making a course longer does not address the current players and equipment. Golf always was a risk reward game and short hitters could compete because long hitters were not as straight and there were more hazards in the landing areas. I would love to see a bifurcated Pro Ball curve more putting a premium on shot making and make the landing areas for the longest drivers narrow, the rough thicker and more penal. Watching Cory Pavin carve a 5 wood from 195yds around a green side bunker, working its way to a back pin is just more entertaining than watching Bryson drop a routine LW from 70yds to the same pin. 

... To be clear, I am all for Rory taking the risk of carrying his driver 320 over trees and finding a narrow fairway with a great drive, but equally all for him hitting it a little off line and finding thick 6" rough that calls for a wedge out. Risk reward. I love a huge accurate bomb as much as the next guy as long as the guy that has uncanny control over his irons and Lydia Ko caliber short game at least has a chance to win too. Hitting it longer should always be an advantage, as long as hitting it shorter isn't a disadvantage. 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour

15 hours ago, Nard_S said:

''Driver / wedge'' golf bores me to death.

The ball flies too straight. 

The tee shots ARE too long. 

The ''art'' of ball striking and maneuvering ball flight died decades ago. Tiger is last of that belief system and breed. He's not there, so golf is not there for me.

The majors still kind of get it. The Masters knows where it is going but for most part Pro Golf is walking dead.

I remember that Arnold Palmer had a huge lead going into the last nine holes of the US Open at Olympic.  And then his driver balked.  That would not happen to such an extent today, with titanium and the modern ball.

Pity - the variability inherent in the old equipment made golf darn interesting, and leads not taken for granted.

We cut the cable a couple of days ago, and for the moment, are living without TV.  I suppose I will come up with an alternative, but I will not be watching Golf Channel anymore.  So no early round coverage is in the offing.  I will get interested in Saturday and Sunday golf if Rory is among the leaders, or someone else that I enjoy watching.  The majors will always be exciting for me.

But the LIV money and the Tour's reaction to that have soured me on golf, as well as modern equipment.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... True and exactly why the rules or the playing field needs to be changed. DE/DT's were relatively slow big guys to stop the run in the NFL. They occasionally got to QB's and dragged them to the ground. When they became bigger, faster, stronger and reached full speed in 3 steps, the hosts on the QB were catastrophic and if it continued uncontrolled, none would make not through a season so they changed the rules to accommodate the changes. 

... Simply making a course longer does not address the current players and equipment. Golf always was a risk reward game and short hitters could compete because long hitters were not as straight and there were more hazards in the landing areas. I would love to see a bifurcated Pro Ball curve more putting a premium on shot making and make the landing areas for the longest drivers narrow, the rough thicker and more penal. Watching Cory Pavin carve a 5 wood from 195yds around a green side bunker, working its way to a back pin is just more entertaining than watching Bryson drop a routine LW from 70yds to the same pin. 

... To be clear, I am all for Rory taking the risk of carrying his driver 320 over trees and finding a narrow fairway with a great drive, but equally all for him hitting it a little off line and finding thick 6" rough that calls for a wedge out. Risk reward. I love a huge accurate bomb as much as the next guy as long as the guy that has uncanny control over his irons and Lydia Ko caliber short game at least has a chance to win too. Hitting it longer should always be an advantage, as long as hitting it shorter isn't a disadvantage. 

Agreed. And I still remain, make PGAT pros drink Pabst Blue Ribbon and eat Chick Fil a breakfast sandwiches on their way to the course. Only to show up 17 minutes before they peg it, no stretching, foam rolling, or massage therapy. Perhaps a bit wobbly on the first tee. Send it and hope you hit the fairway.

Someone please tell me these guys soaked their balls in epsom salts. Golf balls, that is. Play hard. Live harder. 

image.png.b3927e45f00ff8db0ba9c79a02a287ab.png

• Like 1

My personal quick hot take that I think is being overlooked (because I think it's WAY more common than you'd think)

1. Had AT&T U-verse.
  2. Only had AT&T U-verse package so I could watch golf.
  3. Couldn't pause forever and fast forward through enough commercials, watching became tiresome.
  4. Found out what AT&T was charging me for said U-verse package in addition to force-feeding me a ton of commercials, and decided to roll the dice with the Peacock app and cancelled AT&T U-verse.
  5. Peacock was super glitchy, wouldn't load half of the time, just as much of a headache to deal with. Cancelled Peacock app.
  6. Masters viewing is absolutely unparalleled and free. 
  7. Only after a couple weeks I realized I don't give a $#!t about watching golf on TV as much as I thought I did... I can catch weekend rounds if I want with OTA, I can stream Masters.com, and catch The Open/US Open for free on Sunday at my local cigar shop.

Final result: due exorbitant cable provider pricing, mountains of commercials, and piss poor streaming apps, I pretty much stopped watching televised PGA Tour golf.

I've asked around, I know I am not alone, and I am pretty sure my scenario is widespread. 

• Like 3

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

25 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Pity - the variability inherent in the old equipment made golf darn interesting, and leads not taken for granted.

I remember watching a British Open where guys were hitting #5 irons 100 yards and PW 200 yards. Manufacturing all kind of shots to play balata on windy days. Best golf I ever watched. Would not happen today because of the gear and also because they would postpone due to conditions.

I’m one of those who might catch a little golf in the club house on Thur, Fri, Saturday and watch some of the final round on Sunday if don’t have anything to do.  I watch most of the majors.   I have watched some LIV.   It was in another thread but golf has lost some of the charm of when I was a kid playing.  I’m in my late 40s and still play quite a bit and work on my game all the time but just not the same as when I was a kid and fell in love with golf.  Long winded answer I guess. I follow professional golf but more or less see who won or check the score but don’t watch as I use to when I’d get excited about pebble beach 

Game is evolving for sure, at the same time the PGA tour is splintering due to LIV we have blossomed a few categories as well... long drive , trick shots , golf sluts, top golf. 

More people than ever (since 97) picked up the game largely triggered by covid, 

I blame the wrap around season for killing things.

Since we can't put the Genie back in the bottle I would love to see the LIV tour go to 72 holes and get ranking points, be a legit competitor to the PGA so we can have grudge matches. I don't want majors to be impacted because so and so is not in the top 50 due to politics. 

Edited by c7015
spellings

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

2 hours ago, m d g said:

If golf is no longer on TV, how am I going to fall asleep on my couch every Sunday around 3pm?

Cricket.

• Like 3

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

Despite the inferior video and sound quality, limited camera angles, commentators having to drag microphone cords around and courses in a lesser state of grooming, I still find the early broadcasts, especially Shell's WWoG, more enjoyable than the broadcast offings of late.

• Like 2

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

2 hours ago, DON SVO said:
  1. Only after a couple weeks I realized I don't give a $#!t about watching golf on TV as much as I thought I did... I can catch weekend rounds if I want with OTA, I can stream Masters.com, and catch The Open/US Open for free on Sunday at my local cigar shop.

I found that to be true with a lot of TV. 

Years ago when we cut the cord, I had to convince my wife by making a list of all the shows we watched and how we would be able to still watch those shows when we cut the cord.  At the time, the main drawback was waiting a few months to a year for the season to be made available on Netflix.  Hulu was cheap enough that we could stream our favorite shows on a 24 hour delay.  That covered all but a couple of the TV shows we watched -- and most of those were on their last season anyways.  Once we actually cut the cord, we found how little we actually cared about the shows we were so intent on watching.  Even from a live sports perspective, I didn't feel like I was missing out because most of the coverage I cared about was available for free with an antenna.  There were still a few events that I didn't have access to and I would either just find an illegal stream or use that as an excuse to go to a sports bar.

LIV has soured the milk and from a purist's point of view the majority of PGA and DP Tour venues are poor. Yes, we have Riviera, Innisbrook and Harbour Town but the design by numbers TPCs and desert courses are boring and offer no challenge to the modern player. Shot making is dead. I record the highlights and only watch the final round if it looks like a close scrap. 

At the end of the day , if you're someone who likes watching pros work the ball and see the true artistry in their craft....you're not really the one who is going to make or break golf's success on television. For the most part you are mostly all watching already, and if you stop you are in the minority anyway.

Any pro sport needs casual or semi-casual fans to tune in. A lot of people watch football who don't even really understand football, and they are the ones that make it the most popular sport in the US. It's not the nerd that understands how to properly attack cover 2 coverages, those people will always watch. I'm sure golf on TV does very well with golf nerds and forum members

Matchups between compelling personalities draw in the dummies. I used to tune in to Federer / Nadal tennis matches and i never watch Tennis. 

The PGA tour was actually smart in trying so hard to sell Rory this past year. I think it worked to an extent. Now he just needs 1-2 guys to compete with regularly, and guys who are interesting. Maybe they should dress up Scottie Scheffler like Rickie Fowler since Fowler is still so popular. 

If you have compelling characters the casual fans couldn't care less about bomb and gouge vs whatever. They don't really know what that is

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

11 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

I blame Cantlay 

Countless fans abandoned golf viewing due to his ceaseless fidgeting around or just involuntarily hurled their remote at their tv and destroyed it completely. 

I think most of the time people think it's a pro-Am when they see Cantlay, since he wears the Merril-Lynch hat and looks like he works for them in risk management or something. So they are like, ah crap, another one of these, must mean Chris Berman is involved. 

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

40 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I think most of the time people think it's a pro-Am when they see Cantlay, since he wears the Merril-Lynch hat and looks like he works for them in risk management or something. So they are like, ah crap, another one of these, must mean Chris Berman is involved. 

Ams be like

I got Rahmbo! We drank like 20 beers and he told dirty jokes the whole time, awesome dude! He bombed a driver off the deck and almost brained Spieth putting out ahead!

Yeah? I got Cantlay. He talked about gin rummy and laid up from 210.