Suggestions for driver/shafts with 100mph speed and 5º AoA

pepperonipies

Looking for anyone out there with some suggestions before I pull the trigger on a new driver/shaft. I average around 100-105 mph clubhead speed with around 5º angle of attack. I launch the ball pretty high with my current gamer, mainly because 1) 10.5 loft, 2) 50g shaft, 3) high AoA. Got fitted into an 8º head (TSr3) with a VA Drago 65 shaft. Brought my launch down 4º and gained 20 yards. Never tested any other loft and only TSr3 vs Stealth because of the limited selection in 8º drivers. The main reason fitter liked VA Drago for me was my out-to-in swing, so he liked the head to be able to square up better where I was hitting fades. I don't mind going with that combo, but wondering what other options I might have out there, as I only got to test 2 heads and like 3 shafts. 

Also, I did want to like the Stealth, but it was inconsistent compared to the TSr3. Not sure why I didn't get to test the TSr2 though, as I'm not consistent with my driver, but guessing it's for the launch/spin.

I always wondered too why some fitters jump to the low spin head when always 100mph and over. Usually for people who hit up on the ball wouldn’t the spin be on the lower side anyway? Would a rear CG work better in this scenario in lower loft than something low lofted with a more forward CG? Especially with angle of attack is quite high at positive 4-5 @Valtiel any thoughts?

Edited by justcallmemoses
Typo

Super happy with my Graphite Design AD IZ 6S mated to my TSR3. The Graphite Design AD HD 5X is also a good shaft for those speeds and the X flex in that particular model is more like a stiff+. 

WITB FOR 2023:

Woods: Titleist TSR 3 Driver, Titleist TSR 2+ 3w, Stealth Plus 5w, Stealth Plus 4H

Irons: 2023 Cobra King Tour 5-GW, Project X 6.0 shafts

Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 3 Raw Wedges (54.10, 60.07)

Putter: Evnroll ER5 Hatchback (34")

Ball: Taylormade TP5x

1 hour ago, justcallmemoses said:

I always wondered too why some fitters jump to the low spin head when always 100mph and over. Usually for people who hit up on the ball wouldn’t the spin be on the lower side anyway? Would a rear CG work better in this scenario in lower loft than something low lofted with a more forward CG? Especially with angle of attack is quite high at positive 4-5 @Valtiel any thoughts?

Usually, but not necessarily. Positive AoA's can often have high spin (low strikes, high dynamic loft) and negative AoA's can have low spin (high strikes, lower dynamic loft/delofting). There is nothing inherent about AoA that influences spin, it's the changes in dynamic loft and strike location that tend to accompany them, with "tend to" being the operative phrase there.

Front/back CG manipulation is a can of worms based on the player's strike consistency. The less consistent their strike location, the further back CG should be for general forgiveness with loft used for tuning spin. The better/tighter their strike location the more you can think about more forward CG for spin manipulation, but IMO it's still not a great tool for that job and should be reversed for the best strikers. 

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX 
Taylormade SIM Ti 16.5* Ventus Blue 7TX || Taylormade Stealth+ 16.5* Kuro Kage DCXM Prototype 80TX 
Callaway Apex UW 19* Diamana S+ 100TX || Taylormade P790 Black 19* Graphite Design AD-IZ 95x Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 22* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Thanks all. Anyone have insight to VA Composites Raijin? Based on profile the Raijin is a little more active in the tip versus Drago. Fitter liked Drago for me because he said it was slightly more counter-balanced (not sure about that) and that I would benefit more from a little more activeness in the tip...yet Raijin is more active. Not sure if it's because I launch the ball too high so wanted to stay away from Raijin. Also, I never got to test the Raijin. I'd rather not spend money on another fitting and we're all just weekend warriors, so not a big deal if I buy Raijin blind either. At least Drago is offered on Titleist.com.

It’s just a guess but on paper I wouldn’t think you’d want a more active tip because it could increase launch. Raijin Black, which is a different profile, makes more sense to me.

I have similar numbers to you — a little quicker, but not much, with a 6 degree AoA. High ball hitter. I was fit recently into a Ventus TR Black 6S. It’s helped bring my ball flight down into a more reasonable and optimal window. I’d previously always preferred “blue” profiles but they’re not a perfect fit with driver because, despite trying to slow it down (and succeeding with other clubs, but never driver for whatever reason), I have an aggressive transition. 

Other low/low shafts I have tried and liked were the Tensei 1K Pro White (really love the feel, might wind up going back to it one day), Raijin Black, Diamana PD (loved it but that was before a back injury this summer, when I was swinging in the mid-110s instead of my current mid-100s, so hard to compare) and HZRDUS Smoke Green (launched low-ish while being softer to flex in the 6.0 than other stiffs in my opinion). But the TR Black actually is smoother than I expected. It’s stout but you definitely do feel it load, toward the middle in particular. Really liking it so far. 

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | Ventus TR Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2 15* | Ventus TR Blue 7S

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19* | Ventus Blue 8S

Utility: Ping iCrossover 4 | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S 

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | DG 120 S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Face 54/12W, 60/8Z | DG TI S400

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6 (2021 version) -or- Ping Anser 2D -or- Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

On 12/9/2022 at 8:47 PM, eric61 said:

It’s just a guess but on paper I wouldn’t think you’d want a more active tip because it could increase launch. Raijin Black, which is a different profile, makes more sense to me.

I have similar numbers to you — a little quicker, but not much, with a 6 degree AoA. High ball hitter. I was fit recently into a Ventus TR Black 6S. It’s helped bring my ball flight down into a more reasonable and optimal window. I’d previously always preferred “blue” profiles but they’re not a perfect fit with driver because, despite trying to slow it down (and succeeding with other clubs, but never driver for whatever reason), I have an aggressive transition. 

Other low/low shafts I have tried and liked were the Tensei 1K Pro White (really love the feel, might wind up going back to it one day), Raijin Black, Diamana PD (loved it but that was before a back injury this summer, when I was swinging in the mid-110s instead of my current mid-100s, so hard to compare) and HZRDUS Smoke Green (launched low-ish while being softer to flex in the 6.0 than other stiffs in my opinion). But the TR Black actually is smoother than I expected. It’s stout but you definitely do feel it load, toward the middle in particular. Really liking it so far. 

Thanks for the insight! You or anyone else try the new Tensei 1K Black or Tensei AV Raw White? These are two stock options for no upcharge on Titleist. If these are similar in profile and quality is close enough to something like the VA Drago, I would much rather save some dough by getting one of those. My only concern with less-active tips was losing more balls right since I still fight an over-the-top swing a bit.

13 minutes ago, pepperonipies said:

Thanks for the insight! You or anyone else try the new Tensei 1K Black or Tensei AV Raw White? These are two stock options for no upcharge on Titleist. If these are similar in profile and quality is close enough to something like the VA Drago, I would much rather save some dough by getting one of those. My only concern with less-active tips was losing more balls right since I still fight an over-the-top swing a bit.

Both launched too high for me unfortunately — especially the 1K Black in stiff, though the dispersion was good and spin was in the right range. It definitely doesn’t hurt to try them though! 

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | Ventus TR Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2 15* | Ventus TR Blue 7S

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19* | Ventus Blue 8S

Utility: Ping iCrossover 4 | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S 

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | DG 120 S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Face 54/12W, 60/8Z | DG TI S400

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6 (2021 version) -or- Ping Anser 2D -or- Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

21 minutes ago, pepperonipies said:

I tested both and had a chance to put the AV Raw White in play as it came in a set of rentals.  Not a fan of either shaft.  They both lacked feel for me.  I had a really hard time squaring the face and would hit hooks even on drives I thought I smoked.  With that being said, there are guys that love the AV Raw White and 1K Black.  It's really swing dependent. 

TM Stealth 2 Plus+ 9* - Diamana TB 60TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

54* Miura HB - KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura - KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2