Combo'ing utilities with blades??

me05501

I love combo sets.  Always made sense to me as well, as I prefer blades for the short irons and still want some lower COG clubs for the longer stuff so it flies a bit higher and holds greens. 

I still play my 2004 Hogan FTX irons 3-GW, which I believe is one of the least talked about and most underrated sets of all time. 

• Like 4

I love the lone ZX7 iron in there haha.  I tried the Z forged irons last spring and really liked them.  Found the 7 iron very playable, too, albeit in a short demo where I was also hitting other Srixon/Cleveland offerings.

My head's been in the same place recently.  I've been trying to assemble a little Mizuno half set for quick 9 hole rounds, applying pretty much the same principle:

MP Fli-Hi 4 iron

MP-60 6 iron

MP-32 8 and PW

My logic with the utility 4 iron was that it will be my longest club after (mini) driver and I wanted more forgiveness because I'll probably be trying to eke out as much distance from it as I can get from the tee on tighter par 4s or the rough/fairway on par 5s, but won't necessarily need it for precise yardages into greens.

• Like 2

I can't imagine utilities replacing mid-irons, but good luck. 

After many years of carrying a matching 2 iron to my iron set, some years back bought a new Titleist 718 T-MB 2 iron, different from my then blade irons, big step.  Currently, I play 620 MBs and 620CBs (have both sets) and switch CBs in and out.

I decided I'd try something new again, when buying irons; I bought T200 2i & 4i, and T100s 5i-W.  Only time will tell if I can adjust.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • Titleist TSR2 10' Velocore Blue TR 6 series S
  • Titleist TSR2 15' Velocore Red 6 series S
  • Titleist T200 2i & 4i  MCA-Tensei AV Blue S
  • Titleist T100s 5i-W MCA-Tensei AV Blue S
  • SM9 F-52/12, MCA-MMT 105 sw
  • SM9 M-58/8, MCA-MMT 105 sw
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I can't imagine utilities replacing mid-irons, but good luck. 

FWIW I'm a pretty short hitter. A great drive for me is 250-255 so I'm not using long irons to attack par fives. More often they're coming out on long par threes or when laying up on a par five. 

I really didn't know if the 5U would suit me but it has turned out great. It's a 180ish club for me. I'm hoping the 6U gives me 170 consistently and then my gaps should be good all the way down through my wedges. 

I've tried a 4U and I just don't have the swing speed to launch one consistently. I use a 4 hybrid. 

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue Max LS 9.0/Tensei Blue 65R

Callaway Epic Speed 4 wood

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon ZU85 / ZX7 / Z Forged on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX4 54/10 and 58/6

Cleveland Huntington Beach 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I’m a fan of combo sets as well, I’d use my 0311 x in my 4 and 5 if they made it, but steel rather than the graphite in the 3. I got my 730s as a full set and haven’t changed since other than the 3i. Next set will be more comboed up more. 

Taylormade SIM2 Max (9* @7.5*) | Speeder evolution 661 X

Taylormade M6 3w (15*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0

PXG 0211 7w (21* @19.5*) | HZRDUS Yellow 76 6.0 

PXG Gen4 0311 X Driving Iron (20*) | HZRDUS Black 105 6.5 

Taylormade P730 (4-9) | DG X100 

Taylormade MG3 (46-09*, 54-13*, 60-TW*) | DG S300 

Taylormade Spider X white

Ball: Taylormade TP5x 

4 minutes ago, me05501 said:

FWIW I'm a pretty short hitter. A great drive for me is 250-255 so I'm not using long irons to attack par fives. More often they're coming out on long par threes or when laying up on a par five. 

I really didn't know if the 5U would suit me but it has turned out great. It's a 180ish club for me. I'm hoping the 6U gives me 170 consistently and then my gaps should be good all the way down through my wedges. 

I've tried a 4U and I just don't have the swing speed to launch one consistently. I use a 4 hybrid. 

I am not a long hitter either, and no longer reach Par 5s in 2... just SW close using 2 iron to 540 Par 5.  My old TS2 driver was 248++ juiced bones, 260ish.  Current TS2 4wd is 225ish++, and 2i is 205-215+/-, depending on my bones, but fast fairway, and juiced bones, can get 225/230 out of 2 iron.  Damn, I love my 2 iron.  Wife hates when I bring it to bed... 😛

Just bought a new TSi2 10' driver, not sure what distance I'll get, but expect equal or better.  The new T200 2 iron has the same loft as my current 2i, only a different MMT shaft, matching the set, should be longer.  The new 4i is 22', should be as long as my MB 3i at 21'.  What I get from T100s irons being 2' stronger is yet to be seen, should be longer.  My guy at LGS said the setup with MMT should be long.

• Like 1
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

21 hours ago, me05501 said:

Big fan of the MMT’s. My 7-P will have MMT 125 S. 

Excellent shafts, probably the best composite IMO.  Had MCA-Tensei AV White AM2 S in 2i-4i, and MCA-MMT 125s in 5-LW for a while, only they became too stiff for me over 36 holes of play, so went to 105s.  The problem is 105s are mid-bend, which requires me to adjust my swing till, don't like that.  Can't wait until my new irons come in.

IMO MCA-MMT shafts, by design, though smooth as silk, tend to be a bit stout compared to other shafts of similar weight and flex.  Good luck with them.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I’ve been shooting out the following shafts lately:

Steelfiber FC115 f4

Fujikura Pro 115 stiff

MMT 125 stiff

Earlier this year I tried a bunch of shafts in the 95-100g weight class and never could get comfortable. The heavier ones suit me more. I’m getting great numbers from the MMT 125 s with the Z Forged heads. 

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, me05501 said:

Combo sets have always made sense to me. Very few of us use a 4 iron the same way we use a pitching wedge so it makes little sense for those two clubs to be the same design. But this time I may have gone too far...

I've been carrying a Srixon ZU85 5U in place of my five iron. It's super easy to aim and launch and I like the distance and trajectory I get from it. I've actually ordered a 6U in the same head and shaft to see if the magic translates to that spot. I want mid/long irons to be easy to launch and deliver predictable distances even with my relatively puny swing speed. 

At the other end of the bag I've started letting some muscle-back blades creep in. I carry a Z785 A wedge and I've been using Z Forged irons up to the 8. My usual Z765's have been holding down the middle in the 6/7 spots but I've started to believe the shafts aren't quite perfect for me. I spin them up quite a bit and distances are only so-so. I'm seeing better numbers with the Z Forged clubs. 

Pending the receipt of a couple replacement shafts I'm about to experiment with this setup: 

ZU85 5U

ZU85 6U

ZX7 7 iron

Z Forged 8-PW

So yeah...I'll potentially have a big chunky utility in the 6 spot and a muscle-back blade in the 8 (!) though the 6U may or may not win its spot in the bag. I handle my other 6 fine but the variability of carry distance is too wide for my satisfaction. 

I doubt I'd have come up with this setup if it wasn't for Trackman. I've recently joined a Trackman bar/club and have pretty much unlimited access to a bay at least a couple days a week through winter. I've been able to spend time comparing shafts, dialing distances and collecting stats. More data, more clarity. 

Wish me luck. 

I have the Z-Forged irons as well and have been complementing those with a 4u and 5u. 

Originally I had 4-6 in z785 and the blades from 7-P to do a more traditional split set but I eventually threw the 6 blade in as that wasn't a very big difference.

I threw in the 4u and 5u as an upgrade and just sold the z785 set entirely. So now I have what's in my signature. 

I've flirted with the idea of adding the 6u as well but my 6-iron shots are generally for those 175- to 185-yd Par-3s so I feel the blade is fine in those "ideal" situations where the lie is flat and the ball is teed up. 

I also have 51o wedge (still in plastic). I'll probably put that in play sometime next year. 🙂

I think you're just fine, although the 6u seems to have pretty massive offset. Not sure that's so awesome unless you're a perma-draw type of guy. I prefer a straighter flight from my 6i and 7i. I don't think I'd like it if I felt I had an even stronger tendency to occasionally hook the 6. 

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 2

TSR3 (9o) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
M6 (17o / 210) (Diamana Blueboard)

zX (4-5) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (6-P) (Nippon Modus3)
SM6 50-F / 56-F / 60-S
Odyssey 2-Ball

3 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

I think you're just fine, although the 6u seems to have pretty massive offset. Not sure that's so awesome unless you're a perma-draw type of guy. I prefer a straighter flight from my 6i and 7i. I don't think I'd like it if I felt I had an even stronger tendency to occasionally hook the 6. 

The 6U is definitely the diciest part of the plan. We'll see when it gets here. I really love the 5U. 

And yeah, I'm a drawer of the ball for sure. My goal for the winter is to groove the version of my swing that produces a tight draw that starts slightly right and comes back to center. Too often I'll start the ball right online and draw it away from my target. I know which feel is which. Just gotta learn to favor the one over the other. 

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, Yacho said:

I love combo sets.  Always made sense to me as well, as I prefer blades for the short irons and still want some lower COG clubs for the longer stuff so it flies a bit higher and holds greens. 

I still play my 2004 Hogan FTX irons 3-GW, which I believe is one of the least talked about and most underrated sets of all time. 

Man I have this same set at my FIL house in Florida. Like a kid in a candy store every time I get to play them. 
Got them when I graduated HS in 2004

CP

• Like 1

Stealth Plus 9*  Ventus Blue Velocore 6X
Cobra F8 15* 2KXV Blue 7X
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75X
Miura MB001 4-PW KBS Tour X +1/2"
RTX Zipcore raw 52/56 mid

Vokey 60* M Grind
Scotty Studio Select Newport 2 

@me05501 very interested to know how this turns out for you. I play the ZU85 in the 4i and Z765s in 5-PW. All with the Recoil 95s in F4. Love the set up but, like most mortals, the 5 and 6 can be a little finicky. 

I have OFTEN thought of going with the ZU85 in the 5i and possibly 6i but haven’t done it because I’m afraid it’ll mess up my gapping (the ZU85s fly a bit longer and higher). 

Keep us posted! 

Callaway Epic MAX
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon U85 4
Srixon Z765 w/ Recoil 95's
Vokey 50 - Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

15 minutes ago, Mobert19 said:

Curious OP as to why the ZX utilities instead of ZX5s for the 5i and 6i? 

Mostly because I already have and love the ZU85 5.

I’ve owned ZX-5’s but prefer the look at address of the utilities. 

Edited by me05501
  • Like 1

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Collings OM1-ESS

Very personal thing, just play whatever feels comfortable.

I am gaming hybrids from 3-6, then blade irons from 7-P, works pretty well

• Like 3

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3H)KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85 X-Stiff

Irons: Bridgestone J40 CB (4-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Nothing at all wrong with it. It is however you get the job done. Look at my signature odd as heck aint it? Even back in my comp days when I could still hit a ball my top end was outside the box. Carried a Spalding 4 1/2 wood and a little Northwestern laminate 6 wood along with a Ping 1 iron------ No proper etched in stone way to play this game whether it is the swing or the equipment one plays----- Everyone who has posted their thought and equipment in this thread has one thing in common---- They know their game and the equipment it takes to acheieve it

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W  Callaway RAZR Fuji Fubuki 65 R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

9W TM V-Steel 24* TM MAS Stiff 

Irons  4 thru PW 1980 Mac VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW 50* bent to 51* Vokey SM-4 stock shaft

LW  58* Vokey SM-5 L grind stock shaft

Putter--- 1997 Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Bag --- Old Jones Classic Non stand

3 hours ago, SmashGolfBall said:

Very personal thing, just play whatever feels comfortable.

I am gaming hybrids from 3-6, then blade irons from 7-P, works pretty well

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Nothing at all wrong with it. It is however you get the job done. Look at my signature odd as heck aint it? Even back in my comp days when I could still hit a ball my top end was outside the box. Carried a Spalding 4 1/2 wood and a little Northwestern laminate 6 wood along with a Ping 1 iron------ No proper etched in stone way to play this game whether it is the swing or the equipment one plays----- Everyone who has posted their thought and equipment in this thread has one thing in common---- They know their game and the equipment it takes to acheieve it

Right on guys. 

These days I think a lot more about how I really use each club and less about strict gapping. This has worked well for me at the top of my bag so I'm carrying in down through the rest. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Collings OM1-ESS

8 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Right on guys. 

These days I think a lot more about how I really use each club and less about strict gapping. This has worked well for me at the top of my bag so I'm carrying in down through the rest. 

Another thing is versitility of how many different shots one can hit with certain clubs. I have a variety of different shots I can hit with the 7&9 woods and LOL none of them are the bump and run. I carry the 5 iron still for that. The 4 iron for when it is windy and I need to do a low cut run up

• Like 3

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W  Callaway RAZR Fuji Fubuki 65 R

7W TM V-steel 21* Ust Pro Force Gold 65 R

9W TM V-Steel 24* TM MAS Stiff 

Irons  4 thru PW 1980 Mac VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW 50* bent to 51* Vokey SM-4 stock shaft

LW  58* Vokey SM-5 L grind stock shaft

Putter--- 1997 Rusty Scotty Santa Fe fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Bag --- Old Jones Classic Non stand

21 hours ago, me05501 said:

I’ve been shooting out the following shafts lately:

Steelfiber FC115 f4

Fujikura Pro 115 stiff

MMT 125 stiff

Earlier this year I tried a bunch of shafts in the 95-100g weight class and never could get comfortable. The heavier ones suit me more. I’m getting great numbers from the MMT 125 s with the Z Forged heads. 

I tested the FC115 f4 flighted, didn't like .370, and Fujikura MCI 100g stiff.  Bought 2-PW Steelfiber i95cw-s set and i110cw-s set, and a few i125cw-s.  Played mid-high bend i110s, and i125s in wedges for about a year before switching to MMT.   At first, - 100g weight composites were problematic, then my builder adjusted swing weight to D1/D2.  At that SW lightweight composite shafts work fine for me.

Steelfiber are superior shafts, but my problem is with i95cw-s, same as MMT 105s, they are mid-bend.  Steelfiber i95s were great and long, but I had to adjust my tempo to make stiff tips work.  Still have to adjust for MMT 105s but not as much.  High bend, Mid-high, or Mid-Low bend shafts give me excellent control.  Good luck.  Got Mid-low bend MMTs in my T100s.

• Like 1
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

7 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

I tested the FC115 f4 flighted, didn't like .370, and Fujikura MCI 100g stiff.  Bought 2-PW Steelfiber i95cw-s set and i110cw-s set, and a few i125cw-s.  Played mid-high bend i110s, and i125s in wedges for about a year before switching to MMT.   At first, - 100g weight composites were problematic, then my builder adjusted swing weight to D1/D2.  At that SW lightweight composite shafts work fine for me.

Steelfiber are superior shafts, but my problem is with i95cw-s, same as MMT 105s, they are mid-bend.  Steelfiber i95s were great and long, but I had to adjust my tempo to make stiff tips work.  Still have to adjust for MMT 105s but not as much.  High bend, Mid-high, or Mid-Low bend shafts give me excellent control.  Good luck.  Got Mid-low bend MMTs in my T100s.

It’s a delicate balance! I use a bunch of impact stickers when testing shafts. Seems like some make it easy to center up the contact and others make it harder. 

• Like 1

Callaway Apex 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Collings OM1-ESS

Just ordered the Max Homa combo set from titleist. 

T200 3 iron

T100s 4 iron

T100 5 iron

620 MB 6-PW

• Like 3

TSR3 10 w/Ventus Black 6X
TSI2 15 (14.25) w/Ventus Black 8X

TSI2 21 (20.25) w/ Ventus Black 9X
or T200 3 w/HZRDUS Black 105 6.5
T100s 4, T100 5, 620 MB 6-PW (all PX 6.5)
Artisan 51,55,60 (51 TI X100; 55,60 TI S400)
Artisan 0117 Slant Neck
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS