What's your favorite bandaid?

Fuscinator

As someone who has often sucked less than the people he's playing with, I've often been asked for help by the truly desperate. I've usually convinced them to try a super strong left-hand grip. Luckily, it has almost always turned people with no hope at all into people with almost no hope. What's your go to bandaid?

2 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Here is the biggest issue in Golf. People will use a Band-Aid to get themselves to the clubhouse on a bad day, which is great, and what you’re supposed to do. However, this creates a false sense that you found it.

Every swing fault golfers have originates from a Band-Aid they made work and spend the rest of their golfing lives, trying to recapture the magic 

put the ball way back in. My stance works great for me for about 4 to 9 holes. If I don’t go out the next day or even that afternoon and work on hitting it correctly from a correct ball position, I end up causing problems in my game for months.

Where is the line drawn between a bandaid and a complimentary position?

Meaning, no swing is dead perfect. Positions have ranges that are acceptable but those ranges have to match up down the chain.

So with no swing perfect, where is that line between a good complimentary move and a bandaid?

For example, slightly open stance for someone who has trouble rotating. Bandaid. But if it's matched up, and it works, it is no longer a bandaid...right?

• Thanks 1

Me and my good friend have been trying various techniques over the last 3 years to find a good match. We don't have a bandaid but instead we have strict setup, preswing routine and takeaway that we fall back on if the wheels fall off. If we can't get the wheels back on for that round we just chalk it up to some other intangible aspect of the swing that we don't understand yet.

Lately we have been having much more success, which I would deem as 65 percent of our swings are acceptable. We don't judge hitting behind the ball or topping it as poor technique only poor execution. The reason why I say that is when we make a good swing we know it we can feel certain things that happen in our good swings from prior experience, hitting behind it or topping it often is an issue of an uncomfortable lie or being a little quick.

Edited by chipa

Technique:

1. Hogan -  Active leg tension, 2. Forward press, 3. Torres - club over right shoulder 

Only swing thought - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder

42 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

Here is the biggest issue in Golf. People will use a Band-Aid to get themselves to the clubhouse on a bad day, which is great, and what you’re supposed to do. However, this creates a false sense that you found it.

Every swing fault golfers have originates from a Band-Aid they made work and spend the rest of their golfing lives, trying to recapture the magic 

I put the ball way back in my stance works great for me for about 4 to 9 holes. If I don’t go out the next day or even that afternoon and work on hitting it correctly from a correct ball position, I end up causing problems in my game for months.

I’m sorry to say, I read many eureka posts on this forum and think, “Damn, in a few weeks or months this person’s golf game is going to be a disaster and nothing I can say will stave that off.”

There are no shortcuts to getting better at golf. I have coined a new analogy.  Don’t liposuction your golf swing.  liposuction may make you look thinner but you’re not more fit and you haven’t changed any of your bad habits.

Big difference between "eureka" and bandaid. People who are willing to put in the time and have the talent to bother are far fewer than the people who play once in a while for whom a bandaid is the more realistic solution. You should've seen the looks of horror on the faces of the people in my Yoga class when I told them "you can't just lie there and think you're going to somehow magically be more flexible." 

The reality is 95% of people taking lessons in anything are just wasting their time. It's better to give them a delusion that'll make them happier. 

Driver off the deck off the tee box, big hooks with irons. 

Rogue ST Max LS (8.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

SEARCHING......Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

TSi2 (18, B1), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

U85 (22), PX 6.5

i210 (5-UW), X100

Glide 3.0 (54.12SS, 60.06TS), X100 (8 iron shafts)

Heppler Armlock (cut down to 32.5"), SS Wristlock

Srixon Z-Star XV

44 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

For example, slightly open stance for someone who has trouble rotating. Bandaid. But if it's matched up, and it works, it is no longer a bandaid...right?

"Trouble rotating" isn't a flaw for the fast majority of golfers, it's a typically due to some other flaw(s). There will be days where an open stance won't be able to compensate for the main flaw, so it's still a Band-Aid 

That is the issue with Band-Aids, they don't address the core flaw, thus cannot be long term solutions

8 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

Big difference between "eureka" and bandaid.

Literally on one in the same in the grand scheme of things. They are both short term things that do zero to address a golfers core flaws.

They are also in the same bucket as those who thinks they have "fixed" their swing after a certain lesson or feel. Golf swings are like old cars. They are never "fixed", they need constant maintenance otherwise things can go sideways quickly. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Fuscinator said:

Oh hey, Monte, this just occurred to me  - isn't your "no turn, cast" drill at least disguised as a bandaid? Where's the line between a bandaid and a missing element?

I think there is a difference between a professional prescribing a drill to accomplish specific things and a mid cap trying random things looking for solid contact, and then mistaking it for improvement.

My band aid is to allow myself to swing out-to-in and try not worry about hitting a big cut/little slice.  It will usually get me in to the clubhouse.  It’s exactly the sort of thing that can undo a lot of hard work if I don’t get to the range and get that feeling out of my mind.

1 minute ago, jomatty said:

I think there is a difference between a professional prescribing a drill to accomplish specific things and a mid cap trying random things looking for solid contact, and then mistaking it for improvement.

My band aid is to allow myself to swing out-to-in and try not worry about hitting a big cut/little slice.  It will usually get me in to the clubhouse.  It’s exactly the sort of thing that can undo a lot of hard work if I don’t get to the range and get that feeling out of my mind.

Yeah, but the best thing about it was he presented it as even something wrong to do. That takes the "try" out of it. That's a pretty good thing.

1 minute ago, Fuscinator said:

Yeah, but the best thing about it was he presented it as even something wrong to do. That takes the "try" out of it. That's a pretty good thing.

Except their is nothing wrong about it, it's what actually happens in a good golf swing. It is just communicated as "bad" since it's aimed at an audience who have been fed legitimately wrong concepts forever (ie hold the lag). He has to word it as such so stubborn golfers can get out of their own way and actually improve

That is a completely different scenario than a band-aid  A band-aid is adding some element to your swing to make up for a poor element of your swing. 

30 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

"Trouble rotating" isn't a flaw for the fast majority of golfers, it's a typically due to some other flaw(s). There will be days where an open stance won't be able to compensate for the main flaw, so it's still a Band-Aid 

That is the issue with Band-Aids, they don't address the core flaw, thus cannot be long term solutions

My point was that everyone will have some flaws in their swing. Not everyone has the knowledge or time to fix them. So you can piece together complimentary elements that will work. There are some death flaws that have to be changed. But there are flaws that can be bandaided. 

The term bandaid probably needs to be defined here. 

Show me a golf swing and I'll show you a flaw for nearly every golfer...pros included. That's why there's no one way to swing the club. Finding what works is part of the fun and frustration. You will have to compensate for something in your swing...everyone does. Are those compensations bandaids? Should everyone strive for a perfect swing?

Edited by getitdaily
  • Like 3

I had a guy come to me for a lesson this week who had a big overdraw with a 5 right path.  He was told by an instructor he should move his path 10-15 right so the ball would finish on target.  Yes, this was not a feel, this was a long term solution as he asked specifically.  He ran and fast.

This is obviously on the bandaid extreme and would have long term disastrous affects.

Me putting the ball way back in my stance….extreme side bandaid. Same long term disaster.

Opening the stance because the hips don’t open…..bandaid.  You’re not addressing why the hips don’t open and by definition, doesn’t match things up.

It’s cut and dried where the line is drawn.  If you are affecting the root cause of the problem, it’s not a bandaid.  If you’re affecting an “EFFECT”  it’s a bandaid.

Its not about a perfect swing, it’s about what you’re addressing.

No turn cast addresses arm over tun and vertical shaft transition.  These are root cause issues that create face/path/AoA issues that in turn cause stalling, flipping, EE, etc.

No two  of my clients have the same swing.  I could make every one of them stripe the ball in 30 seconds, but long term they’d be worse.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 3

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

14 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

My point was that everyone will have some flaws in their swing. Not everyone has the knowledge or time to fix them. So you can piece together complimentary elements that will work. There are some death flaws that have to be changed. But there are flaws that can be bandaided. 

The term bandaid probably needs to be defined here. 

Show me a golf swing and I'll show you a flaw for nearly every golfer...pros included. That's why there's no one way to swing the club. Finding what works is part of the fun and frustration. You will have to compensate for something in your swing...everyone does. Are those compensations bandaids? Should everyone strive for a perfect swing?

We all have flaws, we all have compensations, but purposely adding more band-aids on top of them is not a long term solution if your goal is to actually improve at golf.  A band-aid is something external that has nothing to do with the core flaw. It's a short term fix to get you by until you can address the real issue. When you get a flat tire, the donut is good to get off the road and to the tire shop, but it's not something you can drive on forever

Just about every club golfer would benefit far more from figuring out what their core flaw is and simply try to make it less extreme, than they are from adding a band-aid or searching for lighting in a bottle

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Krt22 said:

We all have flaws, we all have compensations, but purposely adding more band-aids on top of them is not a long term solution if your goal is to actually improve at golf.  A band-aid is something external that has nothing to do with the core flaw. It's a short term fix to get you by until you can address the real issue. When you get a flat tire, the donut is good to get off the road and to the tire shop, but it's not something you can drive on forever

Just about every club golfer would benefit far more from figuring out what their core flaw is and simply try to make it less extreme, than they are from adding a band-aid or searching for lighting in a bottle

I figured we were saying the same thing, just differently.

As someone suggested, we need a definition for 'bandaid'. The only definition I'm willing to accept is that it has to be something that works immediately. Otherwise, you may as well not bother.

What's the difference between a bandaid that works immediately and a golf suggestion that is truly a fundamental? Uh...go.😻

Is band aid synonymous with swing key? Even tour pros find a key that works, gives them confidence for a while until it stops working then they find another one. 

I heard Butch say on a SkySports telecast that DJ wanted him to take a look at his driver swing because he was having trouble hitting fairways. Butch watched DJ hit a few balls and said you're extending your right knee too much. DJ then proceeded to hit 10 straight balls in a row and thanked Butch for the help.

Butch was in the booth laughing about it saying that DJ right knee position didn't change. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

I figured we were saying the same thing, just differently.

IMHO if we are going to define things.

Compensations-Something we do to create a functional shot pattern. 

Band-aid-Something we do externally to further alter the resulting shot pattern

If you get steep from the top, then add a bunch of secondary to shallow out. That is a compensation. 

Then you start hitting fat shots because you are tilting and low point is too far back, so you move the ball back in your stance. That is a band-aid. 

If you address the core issue (first move down), you are much less likely to add the secondary tilt. If you don't add the tilt, you won't need the band-aid either.

• Like 2