Outdoor Launch Monitor

minteq

I want to setup an outdoor home range, with a launch monitor connected to me iPad to use like a driving range.  I have plenty of land, so space is not an issue.  I would like to hit shots, and have like a driving range on my iPad to see the shots and ball data.

Is this possible?  I don't want to break the bank, but would like to set up something accurate to improve my practicing.  Thanks in advance for the help

Titleist TSi3 10.0 Hzrdus Smoke Black 60s
Titleist TSi2 16.5 Hzrdus Smoke 70s

Titleist TSi2 21deg hybrid Hzrdus Smoke 80s
Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
SC Special Select Newport
Titleist -ProV1X

Ok thanks, I was leaning that way.  Do you use it with an IPad?  Can you see a virtual driving range and ball data?

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

29 minutes ago, minteq said:

Ok thanks, I was leaning that way.  Do you use it with an IPad?  Can you see a virtual driving range and ball data?

I use it with an android tablet. The iPad tablet allows you to see the driving range and play courses. With the e6 app you can setup a par 3 hole and hit shots into it...can practice working the ball into different pins. You can actually set the pin and change it so you can work a draw into a back left pin, a fade into a right pin, etc. Cool.stuff.

Here's the driving range look with ballflight and data.

Screenshot_20221120-174920_FS Golf.jpg

32 minutes ago, minteq said:

Distances are short by about a full club. But the path and face to path data are solid. It's finicky with setup. If you get one then get one of these...really helps make setup a breeze. 

20221119_163413.jpg

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

I use it with an android tablet. The iPad tablet allows you to see the driving range and play courses. With the e6 app you can setup a par 3 hole and hit shots into it...can practice working the ball into different pins. You can actually set the pin and change it so you can work a draw into a back left pin, a fade into a right pin, etc. Cool.stuff.

Here's the driving range look with ballflight and data.

Screenshot_20221120-174920_FS Golf.jpg

Cool, thanks.  That’s exactly what I have been looking for.

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

7 minutes ago, T_Golf_23 said:

Use the titelist RCT balls to get the most accurate data on the mevo +

it’s on sale right now too. 

on Amazon it only $1699. 

the RCT balls are on sale directly from titelist as well for $50 a dozen. 

I need those for outside use?

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Distances are short by about a full club. But the path and face to path data are solid. It's finicky with setup. If you get one then get one of these...really helps make setup a breeze. 

20221119_163413.jpg

Thanks, I will use this.

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

Just now, minteq said:

Cool, thanks.  That’s exactly what I have been looking for.

It's solid. As you can see in that screen shot, after you've hit 45 7i shots, you can view all shots from top down view and get grouping data. You really start to get an idea of your left/right dispersion pattern with all clubs. I've played 3 times since getting it and I've been able to take more confident lines knowing where shots end up. The data it captures is awesome. Make sure you buy the pro package. And get the extended life battery. Biggest issue with it is the battery life. You get just over an hour. They have 2 extended life batteries. 

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

It's solid. As you can see in that screen shot, after you've hit 45 7i shots, you can view all shots from top down view and get grouping data. You really start to get an idea of your left/right dispersion pattern with all clubs. I've played 3 times since getting it and I've been able to take more confident lines knowing where shots end up. The data it captures is awesome. Make sure you buy the pro package. And get the extended life battery. Biggest issue with it is the battery life. You get just over an hour. They have 2 extended life batteries. 

Great, thank you for your help

• Like 1

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

3 minutes ago, minteq said:

I need those for outside use?

No. The unit picks up regular balls just fine. I've had rct balls for the last 1-2 weeks. I need to do a comparison of them and my gamer ball. Supposedly the rct balls just show more accurate spin data. 

But if you have 10+ feet of space between your mat and net then you're fine. 

5 minutes ago, minteq said:

Thanks, I will use this.

Message me once you get it and I'll help you however I can. 

You will wqnt to trust the path and face to path data is accurate. I've gone through that pain and have it down to exacts now. 

I put an alignment stick in the ground in front of my net, on the target line the device uses. I've hit several shots that were under .2 on path and .2 on ftp. The shots nailed the alignment stick. So I'm confident in my setup method.

Remember this when you get it...

Use "indoor" mode when hitting outside into a net. There's an "outdoor" mode and you'll instinctively think that's what to use outdoors into a net. Outdoor mode is for unrestricted ballflight...no net.

Indoor mode is for restricted ballflight but over 8 feet from ball to net. "Short indoor" is for tighter spaces where you only have room for the minimum distances between unit/ball/mat.

9 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Message me once you get it and I'll help you however I can. 

You will wqnt to trust the path and face to path data is accurate. I've gone through that pain and have it down to exacts now. 

I put an alignment stick in the ground in front of my net, on the target line the device uses. I've hit several shots that were under .2 on path and .2 on ftp. The shots nailed the alignment stick. So I'm confident in my setup method.

Will do, thanks for the offer

• Like 1

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

5 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Remember this when you get it...

Use "indoor" mode when hitting outside into a net. There's an "outdoor" mode and you'll instinctively think that's what to use outdoors into a net. Outdoor mode is for unrestricted ballflight...no net.

Indoor mode is for restricted ballflight but over 8 feet from ball to net. "Short indoor" is for tighter spaces where you only have room for the minimum distances between unit/ball/mat.

Ok, I am going to use this outside with no net.  I have plenty of land to hit every shot, so I will make use of it

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

There’s a sub forum on here dedicated to personal launch monitors under $5k. You should check it out, lots  of exciting products coming out 

Taylormade SIM2 - Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 70 6.5

Cobra LTD 3w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

Cobra LTD 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 85 6.0

PXG 0311x 4 DI - Mitsubishi MMT 90s

New Level 902 OS 5-AW - Nippon Modus 120x (ssx1)

Scratch Forged SS 56 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Scratch Forged SS 60 - Nippon Modus Wedge 115

Custom MackMade Putter

Vice Pro

5 hours ago, ChristopherMcDonald said:

There’s a sub forum on here dedicated to personal launch monitors under $5k. You should check it out, lots  of exciting products coming out 

I will, thank you for letting me know that.

• Like 1

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

On 12/2/2022 at 6:26 PM, minteq said:

Ok, I am going to use this outside with no net.  I have plenty of land to hit every shot, so I will make use of it

Out of curiosity, what are you really trying to accomplish here with a fancy launch monitor when you have plenty of land so that you can see ballflight? 

The reason I ask is that I think one of the MOST important uses for a launch monitor when you're not at a pro level is to be able to have an indoor our outdoor practice area where you are hitting into a screen or net and you simply can't see the ballflight. You want to know if you started offline and whether the ball is going to curve, but the screen/net simply won't allow you to know with any accuracy. 

With the ability to see ballflight, I would think that the more important things to know are launch angle, ballspeed, possibly spin, etc, and computed carry distances. Clubhead speed as well so you know smash factor, but to an extent we all know based on feel, sound, and ballflight whether we've hit the sweet spot. Face angle and face-to-path will be pretty easy to determine via ballflight, as you can visibly see your start line and whether it curved. 

In that case I'd be looking at more of the budget versions like R10 or even lower. If you can see the ballflight, I'm not sure what the extra $1000+ gets you with the Mevo+. 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Out of curiosity, what are you really trying to accomplish here with a fancy launch monitor when you have plenty of land so that you can see ballflight? 

The reason I ask is that I think one of the MOST important uses for a launch monitor when you're not at a pro level is to be able to have an indoor our outdoor practice area where you are hitting into a screen or net and you simply can't see the ballflight. You want to know if you started offline and whether the ball is going to curve, but the screen/net simply won't allow you to know with any accuracy. 

With the ability to see ballflight, I would think that the more important things to know are launch angle, ballspeed, possibly spin, etc, and computed carry distances. Clubhead speed as well so you know smash factor, but to an extent we all know based on feel, sound, and ballflight whether we've hit the sweet spot. Face angle and face-to-path will be pretty easy to determine via ballflight, as you can visibly see your start line and whether it curved. 

In that case I'd be looking at more of the budget versions like R10 or even lower. If you can see the ballflight, I'm not sure what the extra $1000+ gets you with the Mevo+. 

Access to more numbers (Pro), easier/more consistent alignment, Fusion Tracking, putting for sim play, multicam, etc.

Some features may not be what OP is after but there's a litany of reasons why Mevo+ costs more.

Even though I have the land, I would like to know how far each shot goes, see how consistent my distances are, etc.  I guess I could place flags at 100,150,175 yards, but I thought some modern tech would be cool to play with.  Plus I can look at the data afterwards, see where I have gaps, how repeatable are my clubs.

thanks for asking.

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Seeing the ball flight by itself isn't actually very useful for the average amateur. For the most part you really can't judge where a ball lands to figure out your actual carry numbers (carry is the only thing that matters IMHO), you get no statistics to see the delta between your best, worst, and avg. If more golfers knew their actual average carry numbers, they would hit far more greens.

Understanding how and why the ball flight is created is also quite powerful once you are versed in how LMs work and how your own swing impacts the numbers, especially with driver when you factor in gear effect

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Seeing the ball flight by itself isn't actually very useful for the average amateur. For the most part you really can't judge where a ball lands to figure out your actual carry numbers (carry is the only thing that matters IMHO), you get no statistics to see the delta between your best, worst, and avg. If more golfers knew their actual average carry numbers, they would hit far more greens.

Understanding how and why the ball flight is created is also quite powerful once you are versed in how LMs work and how your own swing impacts the numbers, especially with driver when you factor in gear effect

Agreed on carry distance, especially for building a database to objectively determine the average since our silly, fleshy brain parts tend to be selective in remembering things.

I can get my 7i out to 176y carry on good hits but with mishits (blades) and variance in dynamic loft/AoA/spin the average is 169y. That's the number that matters. 

Hard to determine that by looking at a sign 300+ feet away. It's just an educated guess.

• Like 1

Just now, Bubbtubbs said:

Agreed on carry distance, especially for building a database to objectively determine the average since our silly, fleshy brain parts tend to be selective in remembering things.

I can get my 7i out to 176y carry on good hits but with mishits (blades) and variance in dynamic loft/AoA/spin the average is 169y. That's the number that matters. 

Hard to determine that by looking at a sign 300+ feet away. It's just an educated guess.

Yep, spin axis and shape are also not good to observe subjectively by ball flight alone. When hitting out to a huge space it's easy to discount the big misses. Also far too many ams think "Oh I hit a draw, this is good, all fixed!". In reality most ams who are 5 or worse who hit a draw, do so with poor impact conditions that are not ideal for on course consistency. Typically too much under plane, path far to right, with big low point issues, etc. Works off a mat or a flat range, is a disaster on the course from the rough or any sort of uneven lie

Agree with the last 2 posts, I want to understand how or if I am consistent with my yardages.  Also would be nice to really dial in wedge distances.

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

1 hour ago, Bubbtubbs said:

Access to more numbers (Pro), easier/more consistent alignment, Fusion Tracking, putting for sim play, multicam, etc.

Some features may not be what OP is after but there's a litany of reasons why Mevo+ costs more.

Thanks. Totally understand why the Mevo+ costs more. I would think that anyone putting in the investment to a true home simulator would easily justify the added cost. Not sure how much it's justified for an open field where you actually have downrange ballflight observance. 

Full disclosure: I just bought the R10 (haven't had a chance to use it yet) for hitting outdoor into a net. For me I would have preferred the Mevo+ but the ROI that I would get isn't justified considering my golf practice time and goals IMHO. 

32 minutes ago, minteq said:

Even though I have the land, I would like to know how far each shot goes, see how consistent my distances are, etc.  I guess I could place flags at 100,150,175 yards, but I thought some modern tech would be cool to play with.  Plus I can look at the data afterwards, see where I have gaps, how repeatable are my clubs.

thanks for asking.

Yeah, I just thought the R10 would provide most of those as well at a much lower price point. There are limitations of the R10 of course, but it didn't seem like the limitations were all that important to what your goals are... I.e. you should be able to accurately get carry distances from either unit. 

15 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

Agreed on carry distance. Not sure if the Mevo+ would actually be more accurate there than the R10 (within reasonable error bars for a user). I believe radar-based units use actual ballflight when it can be observed by the radar? So it's not calculated based on spin/launch angle like it is hitting to a net, right? If I'm wrong and the R10 calculates carry on real shots while the Mevo+ actually tracks it on radar, then obviously the Mevo+ is much more accurate there... 

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

8 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Thanks. Totally understand why the Mevo+ costs more. I would think that anyone putting in the investment to a true home simulator would easily justify the added cost. Not sure how much it's justified for an open field where you actually have downrange ballflight observance. 

Full disclosure: I just bought the R10 (haven't had a chance to use it yet) for hitting outdoor into a net. For me I would have preferred the Mevo+ but the ROI that I would get isn't justified considering my golf practice time and goals IMHO. 

Yeah, I just thought the R10 would provide most of those as well at a much lower price point. There are limitations of the R10 of course, but it didn't seem like the limitations were all that important to what your goals are... I.e. you should be able to accurately get carry distances from either unit. 

Agreed on carry distance. Not sure if the Mevo+ would actually be more accurate there than the R10 (within reasonable error bars for a user). I believe radar-based units use actual ballflight when it can be observed by the radar? So it's not calculated based on spin/launch angle like it is hitting to a net, right? If I'm wrong and the R10 calculates carry on real shots while the Mevo+ actually tracks it on radar, then obviously the Mevo+ is much more accurate there... 

Thanks for the post.  I am not sure what I am going to do yet, plenty of good options.  I don’t want to break the bank, but I want something reliable, accurate, and allows me to review the data afterwards to see how my progress is.

Titleist 5-AW T100s
Titleist SM8 52/56/60
Titleist -ProV1X

7 minutes ago, minteq said:

Thanks for the post.  I am not sure what I am going to do yet, plenty of good options.  I don’t want to break the bank, but I want something reliable, accurate, and allows me to review the data afterwards to see how my progress is.

Yeah, for me it was something where I wasn't in the market for a launch monitor because the monitors that actually had the capabilities that I deemed "necessary" for hitting into a backyard net were just WAY out of my price range. I have a local driving range / exec course / practice facility that for $47/mo, I can hit range balls any time I want. It's not great for the all the things you want a LM for (knowing carry distances, especially since range balls suck), but it certainly provides feedback on actually hitting the ball and seeing it fly. Problem is that I don't actually go and do it because of the hassle of leaving the house. It's like going to a gym vs buying a Peloton. I had a gym membership <1 mi from my house and never used it, but with Peloton I now exercise every day. 

The R10 seems to be a unicorn. Covers basically everything I need, and with RCT compatibility with the firmware update, it can actually give me spin numbers that are measured instead of calculated. I got the R10 for $499 on Black Friday. I can cancel that practice facility membership and pay back the cost of the R10 in <11 months (maybe a little longer depending on what app solution I use). If I were in the $2K range, it simply wouldn't be worth it. 

I understand it has some warts. It will require me to get a stand to level and align it and I believe it can be finicky to that setup. It's not as high quality as a Mevo+, and I don't expect it to be perfect. But I can't hit into a backyard net if I don't have some way to figure out where the ball would actually fly. So it opens up a capability that I don't have today. 

Not trying to sway you either way, of course. Obviously you can compare both products and it might be worth the added expense for you. But based on what you've said, R10 might be enough for what you need, and the price difference is significant. 

25 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

From the reviews I read, the R10 struggles to properly measure spin, both indoors and out (although slightly better outdoors). The Mevo+ at times struggles with this as well, although can be pretty good if properly setup outside. If accuracy is a requirement, this is one segment where you get what you pay for.