Outdoor Launch Monitor

minteq

Just now, Krt22 said:

From the reviews I read, the R10 struggles to properly measure spin, both indoors and out (although slightly better outdoors). The Mevo+ at times struggles with this as well, although can be pretty good if properly setup outside. If accuracy is a requirement, this is one segment where you get what you pay for.  

From what I've read on it, it seems that the biggest issue with spin is hitting into a net. When they added RCT functionality to the firmware, they said it was up to 30x improvement in indoor spin results. Not 30%. 30x! I thought that was pretty significant. My understanding was that for outdoor hitting without a net, as long as you had something like 20m of ballflight, it would read the spin rather than calculate it based on impact conditions. Which for OP, he'd have that. 

Admittedly I haven't done much of a head-to-head comparison because the price tag on the Mevo+ meant it was never a serious consideration for my use case. So I may be talking out of my derrier on this one, and I'll take the L on that if I am lol 😉

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

It's my understanding (which may be incorrect) that R10, Mevo+ and most other launch monitors are not actually measuring carry distance directly. I believe they all extrapolate carry distance from data gathered during a limited, early portion of the ball's flight. Even outdoors. 

Which isn't to say that estimate won't be better than you can eyeball watching a ball land near some flags (which is very approximate IMO) but it's not necessarily going to tell you the actual carry of each shot, reliably, to within several yards like you might imagine it would. It will depend on how well it measures launch and spin (ball speed will probably be very accurate) and how well its algorithm approximates the aerodynamics of your golf ball.

24 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, for me it was something where I wasn't in the market for a launch monitor because the monitors that actually had the capabilities that I deemed "necessary" for hitting into a backyard net were just WAY out of my price range. I have a local driving range / exec course / practice facility that for $47/mo, I can hit range balls any time I want. It's not great for the all the things you want a LM for (knowing carry distances, especially since range balls suck), but it certainly provides feedback on actually hitting the ball and seeing it fly. Problem is that I don't actually go and do it because of the hassle of leaving the house. It's like going to a gym vs buying a Peloton. I had a gym membership <1 mi from my house and never used it, but with Peloton I now exercise every day. 

The R10 seems to be a unicorn. Covers basically everything I need, and with RCT compatibility with the firmware update, it can actually give me spin numbers that are measured instead of calculated. I got the R10 for $499 on Black Friday. I can cancel that practice facility membership and pay back the cost of the R10 in <11 months (maybe a little longer depending on what app solution I use). If I were in the $2K range, it simply wouldn't be worth it. 

I understand it has some warts. It will require me to get a stand to level and align it and I believe it can be finicky to that setup. It's not as high quality as a Mevo+, and I don't expect it to be perfect. But I can't hit into a backyard net if I don't have some way to figure out where the ball would actually fly. So it opens up a capability that I don't have today. 

Not trying to sway you either way, of course. Obviously you can compare both products and it might be worth the added expense for you. But based on what you've said, R10 might be enough for what you need, and the price difference is significant. 

Right, the R10 seems to the favorite now.  The only pain is you cannot connect it to an IPad, I would probably buy it right now if that was the case.

TM Stealth 2+ 10.5deg Hzrdus Smoke 4G Black 60 6.0

Titleist TSi2 16.5deg Hzrdus Smoke Black 70 6.0

TM Stealth 2+ 3 Hybrid Project X Black 80 stiff

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

SC Newport Select 34" (rotate them)

TM TP5X

24 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

From the reviews I read, the R10 struggles to properly measure spin, both indoors and out (although slightly better outdoors). The Mevo+ at times struggles with this as well, although can be pretty good if properly setup outside. If accuracy is a requirement, this is one segment where you get what you pay for.  

Yeah, that’s why I am still searching, trying to find the best bang for the buck. Thanks

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

7 minutes ago, minteq said:

Right, the R10 seems to the favorite now.  The only pain is you cannot connect it to an IPad, I would probably buy it right now if that was the case.

Where are you seeing that? I see some people have had issues when they have paired it to their phone and then have to remove the pairing to allow it to pair to an iPad, but I've seen nothing suggesting it can't be used with an iPad. 

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

14 minutes ago, North Butte said:

It's my understanding (which may be incorrect) that R10, Mevo+ and most other launch monitors are not actually measuring carry distance directly. I believe they all extrapolate carry distance from data gathered during a limited, early portion of the ball's flight. Even outdoors. 

Which isn't to say that estimate won't be better than you can eyeball watching a ball land near some flags (which is very approximate IMO) but it's not necessarily going to tell you the actual carry of each shot, reliably, to within several yards like you might imagine it would. It will depend on how well it measures launch and spin (ball speed will probably be very accurate) and how well its algorithm approximates the aerodynamics of your golf ball.

The QCquad only measures 18" of ball flight and is incredibly accurate. (as is the GC3). The ball flight equation is pretty well understood, knowing your exact carries that day are likely less important than knowing your call day/normalized carry, since you need to adjust every shot no matter what. Not to mention most outdoor ranges use crappy range balls that fly nothing like a premium ball.

The area where most "budget" monitors struggle with is spin, they either don't measure it directly or they don't measure it accurately.  Given ball speed, launch angle, and spin are the 3 things that dictate how far a ball goes, accurately measuring spin is very important.

3 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Where are you seeing that? I see some people have had issues when they have paired it to their phone and then have to remove the pairing to allow it to pair to an iPad, but I've seen nothing suggesting it can't be used with an iPad. 

I talked to their support, and that’s what they told me.

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

2 minutes ago, Krt22 said:

The QCquad only measures 18" of ball flight and is incredibly accurate. (as is the GC3). The ball flight equation is pretty well understood, knowing your exact carries that day are likely less important than knowing your call day/normalized carry, since you need to adjust every shot no matter what. Not to mention most outdoor ranges use crappy range balls that fly nothing like a premium ball.

The area where most "budget" monitors struggle with is spin, they either don't measure it directly or they don't measure it accurately.  Given ball speed, launch angle, and spin are the 3 things that dictate how far a ball goes, accurately measuring spin is very important.

Agreed, spin is very important.  Just trying to settle on something I trust.  It’s ok if it’s a little off, but it has to be consistent, I cannot have a 9 iron go 130 one time then 140 next time on similarly struck shots, that would be no good

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

5 hours ago, minteq said:

I talked to their support, and that’s what they told me.

Strange. Looking at the googles, it seems that people are successfully pairing. 

I'll be trying it with the iPad as I'd prefer that to a cellphone, but probably not going to get it done until right before/after Christmas given all the other priorities in life between now and then...

36 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Strange. Looking at the googles, it seems that people are successfully pairing. 

I'll be trying it with the iPad as I'd prefer that to a cellphone, but probably not going to get it done until right before/after Christmas given all the other priorities in life between now and then...

Ok thanks, keep me posted.  I would buy it today if I knew it paired with the IPad

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

On 12/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, minteq said:

Ok thanks, keep me posted.  I would buy it today if I knew it paired with the IPad

I haven't used it to hit any shots yet, but I confirmed that it connects to the iPad with zero difficulty. The iPad linked it immediately, I was able to start a sim session (didn't hit balls or calibrate), and it can see the R10 battery percentage, so I don't think there will be any issues in use. 

2 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I haven't used it to hit any shots yet, but I confirmed that it connects to the iPad with zero difficulty. The iPad linked it immediately, I was able to start a sim session (didn't hit balls or calibrate), and it can see the R10 battery percentage, so I don't think there will be any issues in use. 

Ok thanks, I am going back and forth between the Mevo+ and the R10.  The R10 is so much cheaper, and I believe it will do everything I want

• Like 1

TM P770 5-AW DG 105 S300

TM MG4 54/58 DG 105 S300

TM TP5X

On 12/12/2022 at 12:08 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

On 12/12/2022 at 2:22 PM, minteq said:

Ok thanks, I am going back and forth between the Mevo+ and the R10.  The R10 is so much cheaper, and I believe it will do everything I want

Does the r10 give path and face to path data?

That's the biggest thing I get out of the mevo+. Forever, I thought my right misses were due to my path creeping in to out. Turns out, my path control is solid. But my face would get too open at times. This is why ballflight alone doesn't tell the entire story. 

21 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Does the r10 give path and face to path data?

That's the biggest thing I get out of the mevo+. Forever, I thought my right misses were due to my path creeping in to out. Turns out, my path control is solid. But my face would get too open at times. This is why ballflight alone doesn't tell the entire story. 

It does. Not having tried it, I don't know the accuracy level. I assume face angle has to be based on horizontal launch direction since it's radar-based, so it's not a direct measurement. I assume club path can be radar-based. 

42 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

It does. Not having tried it, I don't know the accuracy level. I assume face angle has to be based on horizontal launch direction since it's radar-based, so it's not a direct measurement. I assume club path can be radar-based. 

From what I understand, mevo+ with pro package (since incorporation of Fusion tracking) measures face angle directly from the club, it's not a calculated value. Again, from what I understand.