Wedge setup with 42 degree PW?

CheddarBob

I apologize if this is a repeated question.

I recently got a set of Cobra LTDx irons which have very strong lofts. I am currently trying to pick out some wedges to fit my setup. I am fairly new to golf so I was only going to buy a GW and SW. With the Cobra PW being 42 degrees, I was considering getting a 48 and 54 degree wedge set. I have been reading online though and a lot of people are saying the 56 is a better choice for new golfers because you can make the ball stop faster on the greens. 

Any recommendations?

3 hours ago, CheddarBob said:

I recently got a set of Cobra LTDx irons which have very strong lofts. I am currently trying to pick out some wedges to fit my setup. I am fairly new to golf so I was only going to buy a GW and SW. With the Cobra PW being 42 degrees, I was considering getting a 48 and 54 degree wedge set. I have been reading online though and a lot of people are saying the 56 is a better choice for new golfers because you can make the ball stop faster on the greens. 

Any recommendations?

Since your PW is so low loft, you probably need 3 to 4 wedges for proper gapping. Something like 46-50-54-58 or 47-52-57 or 46-52-58. 

• Like 2

As a beginner, a 48° and 54° will do you for the first season or so. This will give you 6° gaps between wedges, which is manageable.

A 58° lob wedge could probably wait until season 2. An LW is a bit different to hit, a close-in specialty club; there are better uses for your practice time in early going.

A 58° although only 4° higher loft than a 54°, but don't worry about it. It's more stable for many than a 60°. Plus, most don't use a LW for full-swing shots.

2 hours ago, CheddarBob said:

...a lot of people are saying the 56 is a better choice for new golfers because you can make the ball stop faster on the greens. 

Also, be careful of two-paragraph golf tips from here and there. How quickly the ball stops depends on:

• descent angle: 54 and 56 wedges both down steep, if you hit them cleanly. There is a science class difference between the two, 56° would spin a bit more, but not enough to really matter. The consistent gapping is more important than + 300 RPM spin.
  • length of backswing: on a half swing you won't compress the ball as much as on a fuller swing, hence less backspin. So for close-in shots plan on ball hitting some check spin, and then releasing forward a few yards
  • ball you play: A harder distance ball will not spin as much as softer-cover ball 
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSlotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed)

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backup: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

42*/46*/50*/56*

I don't think going above 56* is going to help.  You can do a lot with a 56* with the right grind and bounce angle.

• Like 2

Driver PING G SF Tec (10*)

Wood PING G (17.5*)

Crossover PING G (24*)

Irons PING ie1 (6-PW)

Wedges PING Glide 3.0 (50*/54*/58*)

Putter PING WRX PLD DS72 H (35")

Bag Datrek Go Lite Hybrid

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

44 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

As a beginner, a 48° and 54° will do you for the first season or so. This will give you 6° gaps between wedges, which is manageable.

A 58° lob wedge could probably wait until season 2. An LW is a bit different to hit, a close-in specialty club; there are better uses for your practice time in early going.

A 58° although only 4° higher loft than a 54°, but don't worry about it. It's more stable for many than a 60°. Plus, most don't use a LW for full-swing shots.

Also, be careful of two-paragraph golf tips from here and there. How quickly the ball stops depends on:

• descent angle: 54 and 56 wedges both down steep, if you hit them cleanly. There is a science class difference between the two, 56° would spin a bit more, but not enough to really matter. The consistent gapping is more important than + 300 RPM spin.
  • length of backswing: on a half swing you won't compress the ball as much as on a fuller swing, hence less backspin. So for close-in shots plan on ball hitting some check spin, and then releasing forward a few yards
  • ball you play: A harder distance ball will not spin as much as softer-cover ball 

I suppose this may be a bit of a chicken or egg thing. I’ve never seen a decent player that couldn’t hit a 58 or 60. It’s a very necessary skill. The sooner someone can start practicing with it the better and the can try different style shots before they get locked in to only bump and runs. 

• Like 3

I’d go 46/52/58 or 48/54/60.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | Ventus TR Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2 15* | Ventus TR Blue 7S

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19* | Ventus Blue 8S

Utility: Ping iCrossover 4 | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S 

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | DG 120 S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Face 54/12W, 60/8Z | DG TI S400

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6 (2021 version) -or- Ping Anser 2D -or- Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

I just took a look at the specs and the set GW is 47.5°, which is where many PWs are so would go with that then likely a 52 and 56. That's pretty much what I played with for a while and was perfectly fine in terms of playing shots. Wouldn't necessarily do the set SW since it's something like 55° which would leave a big gap. Then can bend the clubs a degree or so if needed. Regardless which route you go don't sweat it too much as you can figure out how to make different shots with the same club.

• Like 2

I'd get the set gap wedge like suggested above^^^^^.  After that a used standard grind and bounce 52 and 58.  I wouldn't spend too much on them because chances are you will change them out once you figure what works with your swing, local conditions, etc.

Places like rockbottomgolf.com  callawaygolfpreowned.com or the classifieds on this board is where I'd start looking.

Welcome to golf!  What part of the country are you in? 

• Like 2

Callaway Irons, Ball

Cleveland Wedges

Tour Edge Exotics Driver, Hybrids, Putter

Or 50...54....58.

These are fairly normal gaps. 3 vokeys or 3 clevelands.

Forget about the gap. I often play 43 then 50 no problems.

Keeping it simple is the key. Enjoy the Game😇

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

7 hours ago, klebs01 said:

I’ve never seen a decent player that couldn’t hit a 58 or 60. It’s a very necessary skill. The sooner someone can start practicing with it the better and the can try different style shots before they get locked in to only bump and runs. 

A couple of comments on your ideas.

58 or 60... Useful tools, but better worked in during season 2 or 3. These require a special touch: have to swing firmly despite short distance. I'm suggesting, learn how to use the 48* and 54*, then work in LW. A beginner can spend too much formative practice time on a LW that's better used elsewhere.

different style shots... A person can hit a pitch shot with 48* and 54*. Boomers were hitting greenside cut shots with a SW for two decades before the LW emerged. And hopefully, the beginner actually learns how to hit a bump and run. I'm more worried about Americans becoming addicted to the LW, when bump and run would be better.

Case in point: The 2014 Curtis Cup matches (USA vs. Irish-British women amateurs) at St. Louis Country Club. I was a foursome marshall for one match in which the Americans had too much lob. A couple of times from near the greens, the Americans would pull a Phil Mickelson: take a LW, spin lob shot into a false front green, and have the ball spin back off the green. The I-Bs, on the other hand, would take a 7i and run it up for a tap-in.

And, in international matches on TV, I've seen USA players hit a LW and spin it back way too far.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2021, post-MAX changeover)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSlotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed)

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backup: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

3 hours ago, Ivyguy said:

I hate this… it’s nots the OP’s fault. But this sucks.  

Essentially what you have is a 9i as a PW.  

You’ll end up buying a wedge at 46-48 and proceed accordingly.  

I hate it. But, is what it is (Tomato tomorrow)

agree with the above, loft jacking annoys me far more than it probably should. 

however, when you look at these as clubs rather than something sold as“a set of irons” I reckon they make a lot of sense. 

@CheddarBob I’d buy the set GW* and find a 56 sw on eBay to get you started (thousands available). If it turns out you have big gaps after a year or two, look into a wedge set. 

having checked the specs online

then you’d have four clubs -  8,9,p,g covering the lofts between 31 and 47 degrees. 

length only differs by an inch (36.75-35.75), swingweights get progressively heavier in the two “wedges”. 

I think it would be a great set up, not just for beginners either. It’s the top end of the bag where I thing the jacked lofts get a bit silly but you just have to work out where you want to move to woods or hybrids

* not sure whether this true or not but I reckon resale value might be lower if the set stops at 41 degrees. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2022 at 10:26 AM, CheddarBob said:

Any recommendations?

Buy a PW (46) and then gap the rest accordingly. I play 52 and 58. Some would opt for 50,54 and 58.

On 12/4/2022 at 8:26 AM, CheddarBob said:

Any recommendations?

Really strong lofted irons require the user to either be more proficient at hitting different length shots with irregular gap wedges, or giving up a club on the top to add a 3rd wedge.  Gapping is normally 3' on the top and 4' on the bottom.  Means, PW 42', to 46/47' and 5' gap to 52', then add a 3rd wedge at 56'.  A 56' wedge with 12' bounce is best for new golfers.

My setup is T200 17' 2 iron and T200 22' 4 iron, then T100s 25' 5i to 44' PW and 48' wedge, then 52' and 58' makes for easy 3' on the top, and 4' though the bottom.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TSR2 10' Velocore Blue TR 6 series S
  • Titleist TSR2 15' Velocore Red 6 series S
  • Titleist T200 2i & 4i  MCA-Tensei AV Blue S
  • Titleist T100s 5i-W MCA-Tensei AV Blue S
  • SM9 F-52/12, MCA-MMT 105 sw
  • SM9 M-58/8, MCA-MMT 105 sw
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I would go 47/55 or 48/56.

Get a grind in the 56 where to can hit 3 to 4 didn't shots around the green like an M grind, D, or C from Callaway. 

I use a 56 full toe C from Callaway and I love it. 

Later, there is always room to drop a 52 in the mix if you want more options. 

Your PW is basically a modern 9 iron. So you will need to buy a proper modern PW at 46 degrees. And then gap that with 3 more wedges, probably at 50,54,58 for a beginner.

42, 46, 50, 54, 58. That might be the easier side of the bag to fix. Not sure what you do with the 4, 5, 6 iron spot. 

Edited by scooterhd2

PING G400 MAX 10.5*, GD AD TP 7x

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 18*, AD DI 8

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95

Srixon 585 5, Z785 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland Zipcore S400

If it were me, i'd go 46, 50, 54, 58 (or replace 54/58 with 55/60). This would require you to stop at a 5 iron though, one hybrid longer than the 5 iron, and then one wood. Probably depends on your home course though if you'd like an additional hybrid/7wood. I would rarely use it at my course, so much prefer to tighten the gapping in my scoring clubs.

I would go with one of these two options: 48/54/60, or 47/52/58

Driver: Titleist TSR2 9* | Ventus TR Black 6S

3 Wood: Titleist TSR2 15* | Ventus TR Blue 7S

UW: Callaway Apex UW 19* | Ventus Blue 8S

Utility: Ping iCrossover 4 | Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S 

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | DG 120 S300

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw Face 54/12W, 60/8Z | DG TI S400

Putter: Bettinardi Queen B 6 (2021 version) -or- Ping Anser 2D -or- Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide

15 minutes ago, KnoxvilleReb said:

If it were me, i'd go 46, 50, 54, 58 (or replace 54/58 with 55/60). This would require you to stop at a 5 iron though, one hybrid longer than the 5 iron, and then one wood. Probably depends on your home course though if you'd like an additional hybrid/7wood. I would rarely use it at my course, so much prefer to tighten the gapping in my scoring clubs.

The 5 iron is 20 degrees. I doubt a newer golfer is going to be able to hit that anyway. Even the 6 at 23 is questionable and should likely be replaced by hybrid.

Edited by scooterhd2

PING G400 MAX 10.5*, GD AD TP 7x

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 18*, AD DI 8

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95

Srixon 585 5, Z785 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland Zipcore S400

48* and 54* will be perfect. 
Grab a used Adam’s Tom Watson lob wedge and test it out as well. It will be a very cheap experiment. 

When my wife started playing I did not give her my old lob wedge right away because I assumed it would be too hard to hit. It actually ended up being great for her because she can’t really manufacture high shots yet.  The 60* made the game easier for her.  

48 54 60 (or 58) will be a great setup with your 42 pw. 

I personally prefer 58 to 60. More useful on 3/4 swings etc. 

Driver 9* Mavrik Max Proforce V5 6F4

4 wood 16* Cobra F7 Fuji Pro 65g stiff 41”

5 wood 19.5* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage 80HY x-stiff 41”

7 wood 21.5* Cobra F7 Kuro Kage 80HY x-stiff 41”

5 Hybrid 24* Radspeed One Length Recoil ES460 Stiff 37.75"

Speedblade: 6-PW Atmos Red

48* Mack Daddy CB Hi-rev 2.0 105

54*/12* ES21W Hi-rev 2.0 115

58*/8* ES21 Hi-rev 2.0 115

Putter: modified unknown garage sale putter