The "Golf Handicap Association"

Anybody ever heard of these guys? Golf Handicap Association 

Regarding their 'new rules' it sounds like they are trying to form some kind of 'golf game for the common man' (or golf illiterate or pick your term). At first I thought it was intended to be satire and maybe that is the point. But that is not obvious in my reading. 

dave

37 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

Regarding their 'new rules' it sounds like they are trying to form some kind of 'golf game for the common man' (or golf illiterate or pick your term). At first I thought it was intended to be satire and maybe that is the point. But that is not obvious in my reading. 

dave

All I can say is Good Job. 

All those changes make sense to me. It would simplify the the playing of the game and if everyone has a handicap together based on those rules, the caps would be competitive. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Augster said:

All I can say is Good Job. 

All those changes make sense to me. It would simplify the the playing of the game and if everyone has a handicap together based on those rules, the caps would be competitive. 

And all I can say is good luck with your 'a bit like golf' new sport. I especially like their embracing of total golfing failure in saying you don't have to count certain strokes. 

Frankly, a number of their rule modifications aren't unreasonable. Someone posted a thread not too long ago about "a good shot punished...". Asserting it wasn't real thing that ever happens, and instead is an excuse for a bad shot. I guess they OP of that thread never had the luxury of finding their ball in a divot after striping a drive down the middle. While it doesn't happen often, I've long been a proponent of allowing a free drop from a fairway divot. 

I do question their "reasoning" matrix for some of the rules. For example, the alignment aids have "tick" for pace of play. I can't see how aids for alignment would do anything to speed up play. But instead would be very likely to slow play. 

It's an interesting idea. And agree with the other poster that so long as everyone has subscribed to the same rules, the playing field would be even.

At the same time, it sort of seems like a solution in search of a problem. There are not shortage of guys who keep handicaps under the current rules who don't follow them to a T. Plenty of players who are already doing some of the things proposed in the modified rules. Yet aren't letting that stop them from keeping a handicap.

In short, the honor system that's such a cornerstone of many golf rules is the reason I won't play handicapped events. As there will inevitably be players polluting the field with handicaps that aren't legitimate. 

6 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

dave

I assume making money is the motive rather than satire although I don't quite see how.  Perhaps a rash of adverts for weird and wonderful non-conforming clubs and balls which will miraculously transform your game?

The purists will scoff, sure. I say the GHA is ahead of its time. Most of the doctored rules they propose are kind of the way the ROG is going anyway. Making the game easier and easier after every 4-year revision. 

Besides, who died and made the USGA/R&A the official “rules-maker-uppers”?

What if the PGA tour sees the GHA rules, says that’s a good set of Rules, and starts using them? And other tours follow. Then local clubs follow also, etc. until everyone is using the GHA Rules. 

Is it still “non-golf” at that point? Just because the USGA/R&A say it is, even though nobody plays by their rules anymore? 

That’s how tenuous the Ruling Bodies position is in “governing the game”. All it will really take to unseat them is someone, or someones, who write a better set of Rules and the masses take to them. 

The GHA Rules are a good step in that direction. One rule they have right that the Ruling bodies BOTCHED is music on the course. From my reading, the GHA only allows music if used in headphones so as not to bother or distract other golfers. Gosh it would have been nice if the USGA/R&A could have done that. That way I wouldn’t have to listen to radios, tv’s, football games, music, movies, podcasts, and talk radio during every single tournament round. 

There is no reason behind the 14 club limit. It’s just a number they pulled out of thin air. Allowing 18 is no different. I don’t see why there’s a limit at all frankly. 

The only rule I disagree with is rake and place in a bunker. Bunkers are supposed to be penal. Afraid of the lie in the sand, don’t hit it there. There’s no requirement to hit the ball in the bunker. 

I digress.  I see the GHA as a great first step toward an easier to understand golfing experience. If they can gain some traction, perhaps the ruling bodies will incorporate more of their ideas into the regular ROG over time. It’s how a lot of rec golfers play anyway.  

Lastly, I’d love the 3-putt max rule. One could really make a good stroke at the second putt knowing, if they missed, they were scooping the next one. It’d be almost like stableford, that nobody plays here in the USA. 🙂

• Like 1

You keep saying "simpler" and "easy to understand" when you mean "write down a lower score". That is the sole motivation behind the entire thing. Same for their "pace of play" claims, the only thing faster about it would be to the extent players take fewer strokes. So it's another code word for being easier. 

One final thing. They say they'll have a rule that you can use carts in tournaments. My clubs REQUIRES riding in a cart in order to play in tournaments. There's no Rule of Golf disallowing golf carts. 

I also love the one about "rules updating every year instead of every other year". How does changing the rules more often make things "simpler". 

• Like 1

I think that I have the answer to the question that was on my mind - nobody around here has heard of these guys. 

It sounds like they just trolled around for all the RoG stuff that people have complained about and stuck all of it into a new set of rules with little thought beyond "I guess somebody wanted this". The idea of playing with 18 clubs that are allowed to be noncomforming per current rules is particularly 'average golfer unfriendly'. It will incent them (in order to be 'competitive') to spend a whole bunch of money on clubs. 

I have identied club(s) that I could do without and struggle to figure what to replace them with (that would actually help me). Quite frankly I would welcome a change to something like only 8 clubs being allowed. I think my competitive status would improve in that case but (obviously) it is not better than me playing 14 clubs. But all that was not the point of the post. 

dave

35 minutes ago, DaveLeeNC said:

I think that I have the answer to the question that was on my mind - nobody around here has heard of these guys. 

It sounds like they just trolled around for all the RoG stuff that people have complained about and stuck all of it into a new set of rules with little thought beyond "I guess somebody wanted this". The idea of playing with 18 clubs that are allowed to be noncomforming per current rules is particularly 'average golfer unfriendly'. It will incent them (in order to be 'competitive') to spend a whole bunch of money on clubs. 

I have identied club(s) that I could do without and struggle to figure what to replace them with (that would actually help me). Quite frankly I would welcome a change to something like only 8 clubs being allowed. I think my competitive status would improve in that case but (obviously) it is not better than me playing 14 clubs. But all that was not the point of the post. 

dave

That's exactly what this is. A list (that will updated yearly!!!) of stuff to satisfy every complaint about, "Why can't we..." by doofuses who generally ignore any Rules they don't like anyway. 

If anyone did start playing by these ersatz Rules, within days there would be complaints about "Why can't we use 20 clubs?" or "Why do we have to count that third putt?". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveLeeNC said:

It sounds like they just trolled around for all the RoG stuff that people have complained about and stuck all of it into a new set of rules with little thought beyond "I guess somebody wanted this".

BOOM !!!

All they had to do was read GOLFWRX for the last 10 years. :classic_laugh:

Drop-the-mic Icons - Free SVG & PNG Drop-the-mic Images - Noun Project

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

9 hours ago, Augster said:

The purists will scoff, sure. I say the GHA is ahead of its time. Most of the doctored rules they propose are kind of the way the ROG is going anyway. Making the game easier and easier after every 4-year revision. 

Besides, who died and made the USGA/R&A the official “rules-maker-uppers”?

I'm sorry but who should be the “rules-maker-uppers” ?

The guys who've been the keepers of the flame for the last 130-250 years ?

Or Augster and da boyz who can't define a divot ? 🤦‍♀️

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

I like the 18-club rule. I would add a 3-wood (which I don't carry right now), 3-iron (to hit stingers with), 5-iron (which I also don't carry now), and a 64° wedge for those high elevations around the green. Good thing I ride in a cart, damn bag is heavy enough as it is!

8 hours ago, DaveLeeNC said:

dave

I'm on board with reducing the number of clubs, it would place a greater premium on shot making skills.

3 minutes ago, dugue4 said:

Music with headphones only is the best proposed rule I’ve ever heard. 

Yeah, the North Butte Golf Association (if it exited) we'd have music with headphones only and smokeless tobacco only allowed if you swallow it instead of spitting it out on the fringe of the greens. 

My association would also have a 2-stroke penalty for the first time a player hits a shot traveling more than 260 yards. DQ for the second offense in a round. I can't hit the ball that far and nobody else ought to be allowed to do it. 

Finally, no practice swings and a 10-second time limit for looking for lost balls. Pace of play and all that. I think that plus the above rules should just about take care of the most important issues. 

• Haha 1

I’m glad someone posted this, I saw this & thought it was a joke (which it is, intentional or not)

A GHA handicap card & $14 will get you a Budweiser at the World Cup😄

Ping G400 Max 9.0 - Alta CB 55 R 

Ping G400 5 wood - Alta CB 65 R

PIng G425 Max 7 wood - Alta CB 65 R

Mizuno CLK hybrid - Tensei CK Blue 70 R

Mizuno JPX 923 FliHi 23 & 26 - Recoil ESX F3

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 7-GW - Nippon NS Pro850gh Neo

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54/12 - Rotex 70 wedge flex

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58/06- Rotex 70 wedge flex

Odyessey Eleven Tour Lined

What (if any) is their area of jurisdiction? Asia, Europe, Africa?  Never heard of these guys but their video (attached) and web site look legit and don't appear to be a hoax.  Are their suggestions to be used as local rules or the letter of the law?  The PGA pro at my club hasn't heard of this group.  

(1320) 2023 Golf Rule Changes Explained - 18 Clubs, 3 Putt Max, OB 1 stroke and more.... - YouTube

6 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

What (if any) is their area of jurisdiction? Asia, Europe, Africa?  Never heard of these guys but their video (attached) and web site look legit and don't appear to be a hoax.  Are their suggestions to be used as local rules or the letter of the law?  The PGA pro at my club hasn't heard of this group.  

(1320) 2023 Golf Rule Changes Explained - 18 Clubs, 3 Putt Max, OB 1 stroke and more.... - YouTube

They have no "jurisdiction".  Their suggestions are garbage and should have been released on April 1.

1 hour ago, cristphoto said:

Their jurisdiction? their imagination.

• Like 1

As the unofficial rules keeper in my 4-some, you give an extra inch to most golfers, well you know the saying…

One of my friends is known for “should scoring”, e.g. I know I chunked my chip & blew my lag putt 10 feet past on that hole but my score should’ve been 4 not 6, so gimme a 4.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Using less than 14 clubs would benefit their target audience which seems to be higher handicappers. No need to encourage more choices. Sure, it’s easy to own 18+ clubs for fun, but if your skill set is chasing bogey golf then it might be wiser to make a decision on what 8-12 clubs you actually can hit. Maybe focus on Driver, 5W, 5H at the top of the bag and learn a 46 PW and 54 SW on the other end of the bag. Maybe space out the irons for a 5-7-9 setup because a full set of irons regardless of style is overkill when you stink.

However the most reasonable rule is the ground already covered 1 stroke penalty for OB. Drop on a line drawn from where the ball looked like it went OB back to the tee box.

Some courses carved out of mountains allow for lateral relief on balls that leave the planet/crash against whatever “environmentally sensitive” areas exist on the course. A local rule that keeps golfers from losing an endless litany of golf balls. I view the GHA’s 1 stroke OB rule like those situations.

Edited by HB_Mailman

3 hours ago, HB_Mailman said:

However the most reasonable rule is the ground already covered 1 stroke penalty for OB. Drop on a line drawn from where the ball looked like it went OB back to the tee box.

No need for goofy new rules. Just write write down a 79 or whatever you think you're entitled to. 🙄

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

4 hours ago, HB_Mailman said:

A local rule that keeps golfers from losing an endless litany of golf balls. I view the GHA’s 1 stroke OB rule like those situations.

Model Local Rule E-5 does exactly that, but its a 2 stroke penalty, consistent with Stroke and Distance for balls that  are Lost or OB.  

• Like 1

A course in my neighborhood has a pro who's a well respected teacher of beginners. The pro starts them off, once they progress from the range to the course, by having them use a tee for all shots from the fairway and rough. They don't count penalty strokes and then only count the strokes that they like. Goofy as it sounds, the students have fun and soon move on the playing more conventional golf. 🙂

• Like 4

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

54 minutes ago, sui generis said:

A course in my neighborhood has a pro who's a well respected teacher of beginners. The pro starts them off, once they progress from the range to the course, by having them use a tee for all shots from the fairway and rough. They don't count penalty strokes and then only count the strokes that they like. Goofy as it sounds, the students have fun and soon move on the playing more conventional golf. 🙂

Fun and achievable goals - two fundamental requirements of successful learning.

• Like 4