Please mark your ball

4 hours ago, payerasjl said:

Had a clown refuse to mark his ball on his own and insist that I demand it from him on every single green. Was lovely to beat him during our match. 

gamesmanship is fun and all, but that’s just stupid. 

Why should a player be required to mark and lift his ball on every green?  It’s his choice to do so (or not) unless it’s interfering or assisting with another player. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2022 at 2:29 PM, ND2005 said:

The people who complain about anyone in their peripheral vision however...those are usually the unreasonable ones and generally not fun to play with.

... I played QB 2nd grade through college and have had 2 back surgeries from blitzes on my blindside. Still occasionally bolt awake from a nightmare where I am getting hit 38 years later. Movement in my peripheral vision is very distracting. Standing in my peripheral vision doesn't bother me at all. Noise I don't even hear unless some yahoo on the hole next to us screams "STOP!" or "WAIT!" to their cart pard in the middle of my swing or putting stroke. But screaming anything else or any noise at all never bothers me. Someone will say they are sorry for talking during my swing/stroke and I let them know I never heard them. Other than those driving their carts on the tee box/fringe while playing music so loud it can be heard one or two fairways over, I have found most golfers are generally polite and considerate. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

10 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

what do you guys think of standing directly behind a competitor on their tee shot, like standing behind the ball line?

If it bothers you, just ask them to move away. shrug.gif

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

11 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Was just curious if this is still a thing, i grew up being taught not to stand directly down the line during someones on a shot. 

I wonder why. That is the best position to see flight of the ball. You don't have to stand 3 feet behind the guy, you may take some distance and still see the ball. Should not be an issue to anyone if you are standing 5 meters behind and keep still.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Was just curious if this is still a thing, i grew up being taught not to stand directly down the line during someones on a shot. 

Well, afaik, it's always been a thing; at least vis-a-vis etiquette.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

On 12/29/2022 at 8:46 PM, rogolf said:

Why should a player be required to mark and lift his ball on every green?

The player doesn't have to do this every hole... just when his ball is in your line or his ball is a major distraction.

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

5 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

watch pga pros and you rarely see them standing directly behind someone on the tee. I’ve played with many golfers who do it, I don’t think it’s widely known anymore 

I play early-ish and the first 3 holes are into the sun.  I want others standing behind me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

watch pga pros and you rarely see them standing directly behind someone on the tee. I’ve played with many golfers who do it, I don’t think it’s widely known anymore 

Pga pros have lots of people watching where balls fly so they are not a good comparison to us hackers...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, antip said:

Here too. Generally considered discourteous to stand directly behind when there is no necessary reason to, even up to 10m or so.

The reason is to see where the ball flies. Sure, one can see it also when standing a bit away from the direct line but I must truly wonder how a person can be distracted by a person standing somewhere within their peripheral vision at one place but not at another. Cannot figure it out.

But to confirm, around here it is not considered discourteous, although I know one person who does not want anyone standing there and that is just fine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

Pga pros have lots of people watching where balls fly so they are not a good comparison to us hackers...

so people do it to watch the flight? You can see the flight perfectly fine standing slightly to the right or left of the player. Never had an issue seeing my playing partners ball flight.

Caddies are taught to stand a little to the side in tee box and never directly behind. It had been taught as golf etiquette back in the day. Not that big of a deal though. 

Years ago though I would get into some serious money games and one of the players would always stand directly behind. I asked him to stand off to the side and ever since then he made a point to stand directly behind me on an important tee shot. Honestly probably helped me though because I had to get over it bothering me at all. 

1 hour ago, MK7Golf21 said:

so people do it to watch the flight? You can see the flight perfectly fine standing slightly to the right or left of the player. Never had an issue seeing my playing partners ball flight.

Caddies are taught to stand a little to the side in tee box and never directly behind. It had been taught as golf etiquette back in the day. Not that big of a deal though. 

Years ago though I would get into some serious money games and one of the players would always stand directly behind. I asked him to stand off to the side and ever since then he made a point to stand directly behind me on an important tee shot. Honestly probably helped me though because I had to get over it bothering me at all. 

Your choice, of course. But if anyone I am playing with wants to get into these sorts of games, they'll need to find someone else to indulge with.

3 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

what do you guys think of standing directly behind a competitor on their tee shot, like standing behind the ball line?

I'm gonna ask them on the first tee not to do that. I really can't believe people do the one thing they will never see a pro do.

Edited by thezinfan
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Mizuno JPX919HMP 5i-9i,PW

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 56.12D (Bent to 54)

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

2 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

You will NEVER see a pro standing directly behind another. You won't see it at college or high school either. 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

1 hour ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Not sure when that was introduced in the actual Rules but at least past 30 years caddies have not been allowed to stand behind the ball when their player is about to make a shot. So nothing to do with the Etiquette for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thezinfan said:

You will NEVER see a pro standing directly behind another. You won't see it at college or high school either. 

This is actually a quite interesting theme. Sometimes the audience is only a couple of meters away from the players and directly behind them on the teeing ground. I wonder if the pros ever ask everybody to move away... 😄

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thezinfan said:

That's because he/she doesn't have to.  Cameras, galleries, marshals take care of watching where the ball goes.  And what's a pro doing at a high school golf match?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, thezinfan said:

... Competition is different than a casual round but even in practice rounds Pro's have galleries and caddies that follow the ball flight. And young college/HS eyes have no problem following the ball from any angle. But as you get older it becomes difficult to follow the ball flight, especially if there are low clouds and at age 69 I can't follow a ball from the side at all but can track it from behind. Even knowing my pards normal window, I can't pick it up from the side although two of my pards are mid/high index players and often don't have a normal window. 🤪

... I won't stand behind strangers unless they ask, and plenty do, but with my normal playing pards everyone stands behind the guy teeing off. It is 10yds or so and doesn't bother anyone but does help track the ball. Here in the desert it is tough to see the ball land in the dormant Bermuda and since it isn't watered, the ball can hit hard and roll in the desert. If someone doesn't see it off the tee, the chances of finding it can be pretty slim. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... Ventus Velocore Red 5R
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:            2023 Maxfli Tour/2024 TP5x

25 minutes ago, Mr. Bean said:

This is actually a quite interesting theme. Sometimes the audience is only a couple of meters away from the players and directly behind them on the teeing ground. I wonder if the pros ever ask everybody to move away... 😄

Not sure what your point is. They certainly would move them if they could, but it's usually not feasible. 

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

27 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Competition is different than a casual round but even in practice rounds Pro's have galleries and caddies that follow the ball flight. And young college/HS eyes have no problem following the ball from any angle. But as you get older it becomes difficult to follow the ball flight, especially if there are low clouds and at age 69 I can't follow a ball from the side at all but can track it from behind. Even knowing my pards normal window, I can't pick it up from the side although two of my pards are mid/high index players and often don't have a normal window. 🤪

... I won't stand behind strangers unless they ask, and plenty do, but with my normal playing pards everyone stands behind the guy teeing off. It is 10yds or so and doesn't bother anyone but does help track the ball. Here in the desert it is tough to see the ball land in the dormant Bermuda and since it isn't watered, the ball can hit hard and roll in the desert. If someone doesn't see it off the tee, the chances of finding it can be pretty slim. 

If it's actually 10yds, that's fine....but I just stepped off 10yds in my house. That's pretty far away. Usually peeps standing behind you are more like 5 yards. And if they are perfectly still, again no big deal but people usually aren't. If someone is on my line and 5-6 yards behind, I can see them and any movement. 

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

48 minutes ago, chisag said:

The person who asked this question about 10 replies up used the word Competitor. The question wasn't about what we do on a casual round.

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7

15 minutes ago, thezinfan said:

If it's actually 10yds, that's fine....but I just stepped off 10yds in my house. That's pretty far away. Usually peeps standing behind you are more like 5 yards. And if they are perfectly still, again no big deal but people usually aren't. If someone is on my line and 5-6 yards behind, I can see them and any movement. 

But if they are a bit to the right you will still see them and any movement but that is not a problem, is that it?

1 minute ago, Mr. Bean said:

But if they are a bit to the right you will still see them and any movement but that is not a problem, is that it?

Your peripheral vision is very limited up and down so if you are looking down at the ball, your peripheral vision is straight down the line. You only need to be a few yards off that line to be out of view. If you wear a hat, it also shields vision to the right of you.

If you are standing even with my ball (not behind me) to the right, I'm not going to see you  if you are two yards away. 

Mizuno STZ Driver

Titleist TS3 3W

Titleist TS3 5W

Titleist TS2 21H

Vokey SM9 50.12F

Vokey SM8 58.12D

Odyssey DFX #7